• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS Plus Extra and Premium thread of game recommendations

Mephisto40

Just signed up for this this morning in the UK

Am I missing something? where are these 700 games they said would be available? there seems to be two lists, the classic list has about 220 games in it max, and the standard 'extra' list has about 350 in it?!?

Seem to be missing over 100 games

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend any 2 player couch coop games for me and my wife? The most frustrating part of Plus/Now for me is that 90% of games have no screenshots/videos like those on the store.

Anyway, Epic Mickey any good?

SCB3

Well I upgraded for super cheap to try out, and immediatly Batman Arkham Origins in on there, is this the first time its been availble digitally?

T-Cake

Well I upgraded for super cheap to try out, and immediatly Batman Arkham Origins in on there, is this the first time its been availble digitally?

It was a streaming PS3 via PS Now title previously for quite some time.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Might upgrade to extra for like ~$30/year.

video games art GIF by haydiroket (Mert Keskin)

EDIT: Upgraded to Premium for ~$45 till March 2023.

Last edited:
I'm playing Outer Wilds, very obtuse but I'm liking it so far, I wish characters were voiced as I don't like to read text on my TV.

Last edited:

engstra

Outside of the obvious ones I'm looking forward to trying out Last Stop (made by the developers of Virginia), Dead Cells, Dark Pictures Anthology and My Friend Pedro. Also really happy to see Afrika on there, fucking love that game!

Overall it's a pretty good lineup I would say. Just need to finish Elden Ring then I'll sign up to the service.

tmlDan

idk if I'm a minority but overcooked 2, movin' out, and golf with friends are on there and I've been playing with friends for a week straight.

I know they're pretty mainstream and likely not for this forum, but really a blast.

Teslerum

I don't think that will happen until they get PS5s in the cloud. They're still using base PS4, I think.

No DLC, No PS5 versions/games.

It does have an arguably better library, but its not close to Microsoft's cloud offering yet.

Shame, but maybe I just raised my expectations too high. :messenger_sad_relieved:

tmlDan

Just signed up for this this morning in the UK

Am I missing something? where are these 700 games they said would be available? there seems to be two lists, the classic list has about 220 games in it max, and the standard 'extra' list has about 350 in it?!?

Seem to be missing over 100 games
its the stupid sorting system,, if you want to see all the games go to PS plus on the dash, press down to enter it and press R1 until you get tot he "games" tab.

that will show all the games.

jm89

Really Sony? PlayStation Plus on PC doesn't have native support for dualsense? Really?
Could be a while to see someone pull their finger out and put in dualsense support, the pc app itself is a disgrace. For ages the shit would log you out everytime and would be a shitshow logging back in, i haven't booted up in while so no idea if they actually fixed those issues.

MikeM

Both South Park games.
Assetto Corsa (this is not a forgiving game tho)
Dead Cells

Then the obvious first party ones like Death Stranding and GoT games.

Can anyone recommend any 2 player couch coop games for me and my wife? The most frustrating part of Plus/Now for me is that 90% of games have no screenshots/videos like those on the store.

Anyway, Epic Mickey any good?
Children of Morta
Trine 4

The first is an overhead rogue-like action adventure. Think of a randomized Zelda or Diablo game that supports two player local co-op. The second is a puzzle platforming co-op game that supports two or three players. Of the two, I'd especially recommend Children of Morta.

Well, Epic Mickey is frustrating as fuck. However, Humans fall flat is strangely compelling. "Just one more go" and another half an hour has passed.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Started playing Miles Morales last night. Janky web swinging and combat but still enjoyable. Suprisingly difficult combat. Great presentation.

I'm playing Outer Wilds, very obtuse but I'm liking it so far, I wish characters were voiced as I don't like to read text on my TV.
Which console are you playing this on? I bought the game for PS4 a while back but the performance was terrible on Pro. If you're playing on PS5, how is the performance?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Alright, one of the games I was excited to play was Outer Wilds. Now I have. Don't play it if you're on PS5, it has the most ludicrous input lag I've experienced in years. Apparently it's a known issue. The game seems fun, but I'm not sure I can get over this.

On to Returnal and Gravity Rush 2 then.

Edit:

Which console are you playing this on? I bought the game for PS4 a while back but the performance was terrible on Pro. If you're playing on PS5, how is the performance?

Hah, didn't even see this before making my post, total coincidence.

The performance is a mostly stable 30 (but it definitely drops frames here and there), which is of course very disappointing. There's no PS5 optimization at all. And like I said, MASSIVE input lag. Feels like at least a few hundred ms.

Last edited:

Shtof

Started playing Miles Morales last night. Janky web swinging and combat but still enjoyable. Suprisingly difficult combat. Great presentation.
Did you play Spider-Man? I tried MM but couldn't help but feel I had played this game before.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

What do you mean by "janky"? The web swinging in those games is super smooth. My only issue with it is that it's not quite as physically accurate as the good old SM2, and it kinda plays itself (there's no skill involved in the swinging like there was in that game), but janky? That thought never crossed my mind. Once you unlock more traversal abilities you can really fly through the city, and it feels awesome.

I'm playing it in bed before sleep so I was using the PS4 Pro but it's caped at 30fps on all consoles I think, real shame. There is also something weird happening with the FoV.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Did you play Spider-Man? I tried MM but couldn't help but feel I had played this game before.
No it’s the first time I play an Insomniac Spidey, maybe I should’ve started with the first game but there was no PS5 version so I went with Miles.

What do you mean by "janky"? The web swinging in those games is super smooth. My only issue with it is that it's not quite as physically accurate as the good old SM2, and it kinda plays itself (there's no skill involved in the swinging like there was in that game), but janky? That thought never crossed my mind. Once you unlock more traversal abilities you can really fly through the city, and it feels awesome.
Swinging, it works well high up with tall buildings but when the geometry is more complex in smaller streets or where there are low or no buildings the trigger points don’t always work and I mess up and swing into things or don’t swing at all or it does some things I never wanted.

Fighting, there are so many trigger points and specials and combo attacks that it feels like the game almost play itself, then all of a sudden there are no triggers and you stand there like a boxer against an enemy that block everything and then you die.

Only played a couple hours though.

Last edited:

Gudji

Holy shit Spidey: MM is even more insane than the original game. The combat is so fucking good with the new powers, so much fun. Dunno how they gonna top this on Spidey 2.

tommib

Is the only way to get PS5 Spider-Man to install Miles Morales and upgrade it from inside the game? The PS4 version is on Premium but I can’t find the PS5 remaster anywhere.

chigstoke

Not one I thought I'd be recommending as I'm not a fan of TT or any sort of Motorbike racing, but Isle of Man TT 2 on the collection is really fun.

There's a learning curve on how to handle the bikes because the acceleration is just mad, and if you play in what would be bonnet cam on say GT7, you really get a sense as to just how damn low the riders get their bikes in turns.

Also the physics engine is stupid fun so if you crash your bike, your rider will go ragdolling through the air into a different postcode which I can't lie was fucking hilarious.

Fredrik

Returnal

Jumped in last night. Always been interested in the game but was too unsure if I could handle the roguelike nature, and the price was too much.

In comes PS+ Premium tadaaaa! 👌

Can’t say I’m 100% sold on it yet but the roguelike mechanic is done way better than in any other game of that type. I really like how they’re doing a story about every restart and the storytelling is great, love how she talk about what’s happening.

It’s still annoying to start over when you just got a great weapon. Feels like playing Super Probotector with one life, but you can never learn the levels.

I’ve got two permanent upgrades though but they’re just starters so I’m still in the phase where it feels like I’m stuck at the start.

I’m guessing I get a permanent grapple hook upgrade or something soon? There is a glowing ledge in the crashsite room that I can’t reach.

For those of you who have already played it. I keep messing up in boss rooms from what seems like a jamming main gun. Or maybe I’m out of bullets? I don’t think it’s that secondary fire crap (that barely work, trigger resistance is too weak, works 50% of the time) since I can still load up that, or try to do it because I’ve always died before it’s ready to be used. Too stressed out to notice any prompt about what’s happening. Annoying.
Maybe it’s a fabricated death scenario to advance the story? 🤷‍♂️

Anyhow, some annoyance but definitely better roguelike mechanic than I thought it would have. I’ll keep playing.

Last edited:

Crayon

What I noticed was funny about returnal is that some of the people who found it too easy didn't like it as much. It seems to play out better when it's a bit of a struggle.

The Shepard

I'm currently playing ys 8 on there and it's way better than I thought it would be, ys 9 is on there to, both games I wouldn't have tried without ps plus. Raiden V is a great shoot em up to which I discovered on there.

Fredrik

What I noticed was funny about returnal is that some of the people who found it too easy didn't like it as much. It seems to play out better when it's a bit of a struggle.
No doubt, the effort and reward balance is important. Although, I only just started and already think the walk back to the difficult areas is annoying, the regular enemies are too easy so you kinda just sigh when you die and realize you need to clear out a couple rooms with those things again. Or maybe you can just run past them? I need to try that.

Withnail

Returnal

Jumped in last night. Always been interested in the game but was too unsure if I could handle the roguelike nature, and the price was too much.

In comes PS+ Premium tadaaaa! 👌

Can’t say I’m 100% sold on it yet but the roguelike mechanic is done way better than in any other game of that type. I really like how they’re doing a story about every restart and the storytelling is great, love how she talk about what’s happening.

It’s still annoying to start over when you just got a great weapon. Feels like playing Super Probotector with one life, but you can never learn the levels.

I’ve got two permanent upgrades though but they’re just starters so I’m still in the phase where it feels like I’m stuck at the start.

I’m guessing I get a permanent grapple hook upgrade or something soon? There is a glowing ledge in the crashsite room that I can’t reach.

For those of you who have already played it. I keep messing up in boss rooms from what seems like a jamming main gun. Or maybe I’m out of bullets? I don’t think it’s that secondary fire crap (that barely work, trigger resistance is too weak, works 50% of the time) since I can still load up that, or try to do it because I’ve always died before it’s ready to be used. Too stressed out to notice any prompt about what’s happening. Annoying.
Maybe it’s a fabricated death scenario to advance the story? 🤷‍♂️

Anyhow, some annoyance but definitely better roguelike mechanic than I thought it would have. I’ll keep playing.

Some tips that might help:

Your focus should be beating the first boss (Phrike) and in order to do that you need to clear rooms to collect enough money (obolites) to buy an astronaut and/or a large health pack from the shop. Don't waste money on anything else.

Learn how weapon profiency works - this is really important! Only open an (unlocked) chest if your proficiency level is higher than your current gun. Otherwise come back to it later.

However locked chests give you an artefact instead of a gun and are nearly always worth opening if you have a key.

I would ignore the challenge room at this stage (the room with a door you have to shoot to unlock) unless you're super buffed and confident. Also ignore any fallen scouts. That's higher level play and the risks aren't worth the reward at this level.

Generally I would also ignore parasites for now and don't pick up anything malignant unless you're desperate.

Watch a video for Phrike if necessary, I think it's actually one of the most difficult bosses in the game but once I beat it I was completely hooked and this is now a GOAT game for me. I wish I could experience it fresh again. Enjoy ☺️

Fredrik

Some tips that might help:

Your focus should be beating the first boss (Phrike) and in order to do that you need to clear rooms to collect enough money (obolites) to buy an astronaut and/or a large health pack from the shop. Don't waste money on anything else.

Learn how weapon profiency works - this is really important! Only open an (unlocked) chest if your proficiency level is higher than your current gun. Otherwise come back to it later.

However locked chests give you an artefact instead of a gun and are nearly always worth opening if you have a key.

I would ignore the challenge room at this stage (the room with a door you have to shoot to unlock) unless you're super buffed and confident. Also ignore any fallen scouts. That's higher level play and the risks aren't worth the reward at this level.

Generally I would also ignore parasites for now and don't pick up anything malignant unless you're desperate.

Watch a video for Phrike if necessary, I think it's actually one of the most difficult bosses in the game but once I beat it I was completely hooked and this is now a GOAT game for me. I wish I could experience it fresh again. Enjoy ☺️
Much appreciated! 🙂

I’ve been playing it wrong, picking up all malignant tech and been struggling with the consequences, didn’t know you should save the money either. I’ll jump back in tonight with more inspiration now. Thanks!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

All I have to say is that someone got the designer of SM2’s web swinging mechanics to play it and he liked it a lot ;).

SkylineRKR

Much appreciated! 🙂

I’ve been playing it wrong, picking up all malignant tech and been struggling with the consequences, didn’t know you should save the money either. I’ll jump back in tonight with more inspiration now. Thanks!

This game is brilliant, but it takes some time to click. Just use weapons you pick up until you've mastered its perks and then replace. Progress of weapons persists with dying. For parasites, you want to look at the negatives. Generally, always take parasites with negatives like fall damage, damage reduction on stationary fire, health loss on using atropian keys. Because fall damage is a non issue (barely happens and you can dash during a fall to negate it), you're never firing stationary and atropian keys are kind of rare (1 or 2 per level, sometimes none). But never take stuff like damage on pickups, cooldown reduction on dash etc. These negatives WILL kill you.

If given the choice, always go for better defense first. I've had runs where I could eventually facetank later bosses.

Secondary fire can be clutch, but it depends on what one you get. The laser, sphere and homing are pretty good. The bouncing lasers is pretty bad.

Fredrik

This game is brilliant, but it takes some time to click. Just use weapons you pick up until you've mastered its perks and then replace. Progress of weapons persists with dying. For parasites, you want to look at the negatives. Generally, always take parasites with negatives like fall damage, damage reduction on stationary fire, health loss on using atropian keys. Because fall damage is a non issue (barely happens and you can dash during a fall to negate it), you're never firing stationary and atropian keys are kind of rare (1 or 2 per level, sometimes none). But never take stuff like damage on pickups, cooldown reduction on dash etc. These negatives WILL kill you.

If given the choice, always go for better defense first. I've had runs where I could eventually facetank later bosses.

Secondary fire can be clutch, but it depends on what one you get. The laser, sphere and homing are pretty good. The bouncing lasers is pretty bad.
Thanks, can’t wait to jump in again! Might even sneak away to play a bit during the day if the kids are out.

I have to say, I wish Housemarque made a proper metroidvania, they’re so incredibly close here. It would be amazing.

Or just make a non-roguelike mode for Returnal, place the rebirth point closer to where you died, like at the last visted dead Selene, with more permanent things, like the weapons you find. Just to remove some annoyance.

I read that a full playthrough could take 3 hours and then you need to do it all without death. I can safely say that I won’t ever manage that, even though I just finished Elden Ring. Makes me sad. Can’t play that long without messing up, I even mess up and die in Super Metroid after playing through it more times than I can count. But place a save point near a boss fight and I can beat almost anything just by being plain stubborn.

Anyway I’ll play as long as I’m enjoying it. PS+ Premium is awesome, trying some games I wasn’t sure would be worth full price is exactly what I wanted on PS5, makes me use the console so much more,

Top Bottom