• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 worked fine with the slowest compatible SSD we could find

even as we shift focus to this 'IO' complex, it's getting clearer that this whole part of the system don't appear to influence the quality and performance of game designs, outside of a few seconds more loading.

Not long ago, some were making a huge hype train about the super I/O will make UE5 stream dozens of GB/s of superior assets and what not.

i won't be surprised to see a RC port for PC next year and it runs even better on high end PC using direct storage 🤷‍♀️

Well the I/O complex and the SSD are part of the I/O system. You really can't talk about one without the other.

Unless you have a way to separate the two that I'm not aware of.

20200329142934.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
even as we shift focus to this 'IO' complex, it's getting clearer that this whole part of the system don't appear to influence the quality and performance of game designs, outside of a few seconds more loading.

Not long ago, some were making a huge hype train about the super I/O will make UE5 stream dozens of GB/s of superior assets and what not.

i won't be surprised to see a RC port for PC next year and it runs even better on high end PC using direct storage 🤷‍♀️

And when that PC port includes line items for tech like RTX IO as minimum requirements are you still going to try and downplay its importance?

ZywyPL

Banned
Last year Cerny said you'll need at least 7Gbps drives to match the internal drive, now turns out close to half of that is enough... I wonder what the results would be if there was an option to use PCIE Gen3 drives, somethinkg like 2-3Gbps, how (if?) they'd fall behind the top of the line drives. I think everyone would give up a second or two loading times to get 2TB instead in the same price.

And when that PC port includes line items for tech like RTX IO as minimum requirements are you still going to try and downplay its importance?
geforce-rtx-30-series-rtx-io-announcing-rtx-io-scaled-e1599045046160.jpg

It's definitely going to be a huge performance saver where the CPU is concerned. Instead of having the CPU decompress a huge amount of data it can offload that work to the RTX I/O system. Having decompression not affect the CPU is a pretty big deal especially when your dealing with large amounts of data.

Doesn't this mean we could buy a cheaper drive and just put games like CoD and BF on it? And save the internal for games like ratchet and demon souls?

scydrex

Last year Cerny said you'll need at least 7Gbps drives to match the internal drive, now turns out close to half of that is enough... I wonder what the results would be if there was an option to use PCIE Gen3 drives, somethinkg like 2-3Gbps, how (if?) they'd fall behind the top of the line drives. I think everyone would give up a second or two loading times to get 2TB instead in the same price.

He did not mention 7gbps drives. That was the conclusion of the people.

Also the devs of R&C said in the DF interview that they left ssd/io performance on the table.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

PCIe Gen4 is still required. Remember.....this is beta testing.

Last edited:

elliot5

Doesn't this mean we could buy a cheaper drive and just put games like CoD and BF on it? And save the internal for games like ratchet and demon souls?
yeah but ratchet and demons souls will work fine on the external most likely per this article. But yes, you can just use any ol m.2 that the PS5 accepts to play 3rd party games

KAL2006

Banned
Did this faster SSD inflate the build cost, if so it was a silky decision to waste money on a faster SSD, they could have gone with something similar to Series X and use the extra build cost for a faster GPU l.

Mr Moose

No he didn't.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Editors of The Verge tried to test slowest possible NVMe SSD drive in PS5 which was ADATA XPG Gammix S50 Lite with read speeds 3900MB/s and there was no difference in load times in PS5 exclusives like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22608153/ps5-ssd-speed-test-storage-expansion-m2-playstation-5
Looks like the 5.5gb/s requirement is BS then if a slow paced PC SSD works working at about 30% slower than PS5's.

Bu aside from load times, how is R&C's time warp thing from level to level? Did that work just as well? That was supposed to be another PS5 SSD-only kind of thing.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Weird test, because it incorrectly assumes that Spider-Man Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart both push the PS5 SSD to its maximum limit, which obviously can't be the case.

We will continue to see better-fidelity PS5 games loading even quicker than Miles Morales and Rift Apart, and that'd only be possible if there is more headroom in the PS5 in terms of GPU, CPU, and I/O.

Topher

Gold Member
Looks like the 5.5gb/s requirement is BS then if a slow paced PC SSD works.

Bu aside from load times, how is R&C's time warp thing from level to level? Did that work just as well? That was supposed to be another PS5 SSD-only kind of thing.

Can't discount the IO and focus entirely on the drive.

Last edited:
Did this faster SSD inflate the build cost, if so it was a silky decision to waste money on a faster SSD, they could have gone with something similar to Series X and use the extra build cost for a faster GPU l.

The problem with going with a faster GPU would mean producing less chips per wafer due to having more CUs.

Maybe that didn't meet Sonys production targets so they opted to go with a smaller chip.

ethomaz

Banned
Weird test, because it incorrectly assumes that Spider-Man Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart both push the PS5 SSD to its maximum limit, which obviously can't be the case.

We will continue to see better-fidelity PS5 games loading even quicker than Miles Morales and Rift Apart, and that'd only be possible if there is more headroom in the PS5 in terms of GPU, CPU, and I/O.
It become more weird when the article assumes these games are reaching peak data streaming at the start of the game and not in gameplay on intensive SSD scenes like Insomniac claimed.

But hey last article “pro” PS5 he had to update and fix it dozen of times to remove some “little” lies.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

They say Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) 19 sec - I tested multiple times, it's slightly under 17 seconds.
They also say "But other times, it’ll mysteriously bypass those, loading in more like 17 seconds, and I couldn’t figure out why."
Weird article. No video either?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They say Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) 19 sec - I tested multiple times, it's slightly under 17 seconds.
They also say "But other times, it’ll mysteriously bypass those, loading in more like 17 seconds, and I couldn’t figure out why."
Weird article. No video either?
Loading time tests should always be done many many times. Take an average or median score whatever. This is especially important for games that require some kind of server link up at boot up. Most of the time its fine, but sometimes it hangs and takes an extra 5 seconds before games work sometimes.

I'm going to assume testers take this into account or toss out weird loading issues, but you never know.

There are times COD loads fine (most of the time), but some reason another time it takes much longer.

Dumb article, as to be expected from The Verge.

Cross-gen and early-gen games are not utilizing the SSD in the manner or extent that is eventually intended. With these early games you can put a below-spec SSD in there and everything works fine, albeit with load times a bit slower. This is misleading and does not tell the full story.

When developers start using the SSD to it's full potential, it will be essential to have an SSD that performs at the same level as the internal one. Most likely you will require one that is faster (than 5.5GB/s) in order to achieve functional parity, which is why Cerny is recommending a 7GB/s one.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I called it as soon as I saw that the 5.5 GBps was recommended, not minimum.

I remember how Cerny said that you would need extra speeds because of the priority channels being 6 in the PS5 SSD so these 2 Priority channel SSDs would need the speed to be higher. Well, it turns out they can be a lot slower.

You also have to wonder just wtf Cerny was thinking going with 5.5 GBps when 3.9 GBps would do just fine. The objective should have been to save costs on the SSD in favor of a larger SSD or a larger GPU. Abosoluletly bizarre decision right here.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

I remember how Cerny said that you would need 7 GBps because of the priority channels being 6 in the PS5 SSD so these 2 Priority channel SSDs would need the speed to be higher. Well, it turns out they can be a lot slower.

Didnt expect Cerny of all people to blow smoke up my ass. Herman and Jim Ryan sure. It's their job to do PR and damage control, but this guy is a lead principal architect. Or maybe they just went behind him and lowered the requirements now making him look like a liar. Regardless, pretty embarrassing stuff all around.

You also have to wonder just wtf Cerny was thinking going with 5.5 GBps when 3.9 GBps would do just fine. The objective should have been to save costs on the SSD in favor of a larger SSD or a larger GPU. Abosoluletly bizarre decision right here.
Dude stop being a victim please. It’s exhausting.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
even RC works perfectly on 'slow' ssd, pretty much proves my hypothesis about the ssd i/o hype that never really was.

going from hdd to nvme is a huge jump and that's that

big numbers big multiplier, but the real bottleneck is not IO for next gen games

"Xbox Series X clocked in a load time of 8 seconds and 47 milliseconds in Resident Evil Village, allowing PlayStation 5 the chance to show off its impressive SSD architecture, cutting the load time down to 1 second and 57 milliseconds. With a load time comparison of 8.45 compared to 1.57, it’s a straightforward answer which one loads faster."

Depends on the optimization of the game.

Kazza

Dumb article, as to be expected from The Verge.

Cross-gen and early-gen games are not utilizing the SSD in the manner or extent that is eventually intended. With these early games you can put a below-spec SSD in there and everything works fine, albeit with load times a bit slower. This is misleading and does not tell the full story.

When developers start using the SSD to it's full potential, it will be essential to have an SSD that performs at the same level as the internal one. Most likely you will require one that is faster (than 5.5GB/s) in order to achieve functional parity, which is why Cerny is recommending a 7GB/s one.

I see that you are a neo member, so maybe you are just unaware of how much R&C was hyped as the title to show off the power of the PS5's mighty SSD. Take a look at this thread:

Incredible Ratchet & Clankgameplay demo reveals PS5’s SSD difference | NeoGAF

It's been fascinating seeing the PS5 SSD hype machine rev up and (now) collapse in real time.

SlimySnake

Dude stop being a victim please. It’s exhausting.
Dude your posts are nothing but whining about my posts. THAT is getting exhausting. This is like the third or fourth time you have done this. You dont like what I have to say, put me on ignore or by all means rip apart my argument and come up with a retort or go away. What a trash posting style this is. You are like a bored housewife with NOTHING to say other than gossip and make dumb meta commentary about other posters that brings absolutely fuck all to the discussion. Get some help and stop being so obsessed with me.

Topher

Gold Member

I remember how Cerny said that you would need 7 GBps because of the priority channels being 6 in the PS5 SSD so these 2 Priority channel SSDs would need the speed to be higher. Well, it turns out they can be a lot slower.

You need to watch that video again because Cerny never said that.

Video timestamped to talking about SSD expandability.

Again....this is beta testing. If you want to buy an SSD during beta testing based on some journalist with a stopwatch then sure.....go be foolish and do that. Cerny clearly said the compatible drives would be identified during testing.

Last edited:

nkarafo

SSDs are so much faster than HDDs that there are diminishing returns after some point. I can't see any difference on my PC when i use different types of SSDs. And i use plenty because i test various OSes on various different builds. All SSDs feel almost the same to me when i load Windows or any game. A big difference between them and HDDs but a minuscule one between different SSD models.

In conclusion, as long as you got an SSD, you should be fine. The jump in speed compared to HDDs is so high, games are not exactly ready to make full use of it. Whatever SSD you use it's not going to be a bottleneck this gen.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Last edited:

SlimySnake

No he didn't.
He didnt say you needed 7 but he implied you NEED extra speeds after showing how a 3.5 GBps PCIE 3 ssd was not enough and showed a 7GBps ssd.

PS5's spec delivers six priority levels to developers, while the NVMe spec has just two.

"We can hook up a drive with only two priority levels, definitely, but our custom I/O unit has to arbitrate the extra priorities - rather than the M.2 drive's flash controller - and so the M.2 drive needs a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from the different approach," says Cerny.
Timestamped:

Again....this is beta testing. If you want to buy an SSD during beta testing based on some journalist with a stopwatch then sure.....go be foolish and do that. Cerny clearly said the compatible drives would be identified during testing.

See above.

Last edited:

Again....this is beta testing. If you want to buy an SSD during beta testing based on some journalist with a stopwatch then sure.....go be foolish and do that.

Ah man it gonna be funny seeing poeple bitching about broken games in the future.

Image playing something and suddenly the engine cant get the data fast enough, objects, texture disappearing/not loading people falling through geometry and stuff.
Loading isn't only related to loading SCREENS.

People really need to realize that.
The sooner the better.

Can't wait for the first games to crash with specs that don't fit the recomendation.

Keihart

To avoid bugs in future games i hope they lock the beta feature after release behind some kind of test or something that certifies the drives as fully compatible.

K2D

Banned
Waiting for The Verge's articles in 1 to 3 years slamming PS5's performance that make use of data streaming from certified drives.

I see Sony putting a cheaper (slower) drive in future iterations of the PS5 if this is true. Looks like they aren't really using anywhere near it's capability. Probably a bottleneck somewhere.

You shouldn't talk about stuff that you don't understand.

To avoid bugs in future games i hope they lock the beta feature after release behind some kind of test or something that certifies the drives as fully compatible.
They have to.
Otherwise they will lower the possibilites of their console.

makaveli60

You know what? I hope this is true and will cause big drama so this new slimy management gets a slap in the face that they deserve long time and will result in Sony behaving like the ps4 days. I really miss those times and I’m tired of being bullshitted...

Last edited:

nkarafo

I see Sony putting a cheaper (slower) drive in future iterations of the PS5 if this is true. Looks like they aren't really using anywhere near it's capability. Probably a bottleneck somewhere.
Games used to work on HDDs last gen. SSDs are more than 10x faster. It's too early for current games to make full use of that kind of speed. Again, i believe even the slowest SSD is still going to be too fast to become a bottleneck this gen.

SlimySnake

Then why did you say...

You called the guy a liar when you are saying he said things he didn't say.
Fine. I will amend my post to remove the bit about the 7 GBps remark and replace it with the fact that he literally said you NEED extra bandwidth on top of the 5.5 GBps which we now know is a misleading statement. Now we have SSDs at 3.9 GBps running games literally built around the SSD and I/O. Dont defend this.

P.S I edited out the bit about him lying, Herman and Jim Ryan within a minute after posting. If my stalker JakGhost wasnt so fast with his replies, no one wouldve seen it. I knew that was going too far as soon as I posted it.

Last edited:
I see that you are a neo member, so maybe you are just unaware of how much R&C was hyped as the title to show off the power of the PS5's mighty SSD. Take a look at this thread:

It's been fascinating seeing the PS5 SSD hype machine rev up and (now) collapse in real time.
R&C shows off the SSD in a very rudimentary way.

To utilize the SSD in the manner intended by Sony will require a significant change to game engines and how devs think of storage. The example given by Cerny was the player turning 180 deg and those textures behind him being pulled from the SSD as he turns (not precached to ram).

Right now, nothing is doing this to any significant extent. Not R&C, not Returnal. It will take years, particularly due to the protraction of cross-gen. But when it happens a 3GB/s SSD - assuming it is not blacklisted by the system software - will render your game unplayable due to hitching and texture pop-in.

Deraj

Is the Verge testing loading using tweezers and a Swiss army knife? How are they getting Spiderman to take 19 seconds to load? It's more like 2.5.

Kholinar

Banned

Oh, yes, because a game that was in development before the PS5 specs were finalized is supposed to masterfully utilize the PS5's SSD to its maximum capability, incorporating radical, paradigm-shifting game design concepts and crafty techniques to take advantage of the revolutionary data streaming management, nevermind the fact that these developers have been developing games appealing to extremely lower-end spinning-disk storage drives since the fucking inception of the company itself.

You're a troll - cut and dry - claiming victories before the yeast has even risen. It's funny because this is the type of willful, disingenuous ignorance that would get me an insta-warn in an XBOX thread. Pathetic.

Top Bottom