• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 worked fine with the slowest compatible SSD we could find

Riky

$MSFT
Here's a 19fps gulf between them in Mendoza level. My bad, I said 15-20fps higher on PS5, if unlocked PS5 could be running at 65-70fps, so there can actually be more than 20fps difference here. Interesting.

H3AqByq.png
ACDiQod.png

Read my post again.

Which lasts for a second? In a game of how many hours what percentage of gameplay is that?
The resolution difference of 44% with higher shadow settings is the entire game, all of it, 100%.

kingfey

Banned
This is all an invention.

For all you know the PS5 would run at exactly 60 fps with an unlocked framerate. There's literally ZERO way you, or I, know anything about what would happen. You're making shit up...why? You can't just take the fps difference in this one scene and than add that to 60 and pretend that's what the PS5 version would run at if the frame rate were unlocked...that's idiotic and not how performance works.

The only thing interesting is how ridiculous your assertions are.

He might need to rewatch the entire video.

Md Ray

This is all an invention.

For all you know the PS5 would run at exactly 60 fps with an unlocked framerate. There's literally ZERO way you, or I, know anything about what would happen. You're making shit up...why? You can't just take the fps difference in this one scene and than add that to 60 and pretend that's what the PS5 version would run at if the frame rate were unlocked...that's idiotic and not how performance works.

The only thing interesting is how ridiculous your assertions are.
Drops down to 50s consistently on the X in other areas of the same map, while PS5 is locked at 60. So there's very likely around a 15fps difference more or less at any given moment if unlocked. Not sure why you're getting so triggered by this.

Md Ray

It wasn't the Mendoza level, it was the transparency effects in the level. There also hasn't been any transparency issues lately, if anything ps5 has been dropping a smidge more from them. Leaves me the conclusion of bug/tools/OS that has been fixed now.
There are dips into the low 50s on the X while it's locked 60 on PS5 just looking at the grass which is the Mendoza level.

Md Ray

Which lasts for a second? In a game of how many hours what percentage of gameplay is that?
The resolution difference of 44% with higher shadow settings is the entire game, all of it, 100%.
I'd agree if the frame rate were identical to PS5's locked 60fps even in Mendoza, but it's worse... Low 50s and with minimums in 40s on the X. My point is, the actual GPU (compute power) difference isn't 44%.
Makes no difference, it isn't always above 60fps like you claimed.
It's still higher than XSX.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Drops down to 50s consistently on the X in other areas of the same map, while PS5 is locked at 60. So there's very likely around a 15fps difference more or less at any given moment if unlocked. Not sure why you're getting so triggered by this.
False, "very likely" based on nothing. And I'm not triggered, you're just full of shit. You cannot assume overall performance of a game based on a single area, nor does it work 1:1 like you are claiming. You literally know nothing and are just making things up, you can't just take a fps difference in a single area and then tack it on everywhere like that's how this stuff works. The FACT is, we have ZERO clue what the PS5 would do at native 4k...ZERO. Anything you claim past that is an INVENTION. It could completely tank for all you know. You're pretending that IO dropped the resolution and shadows for nothing.

You think that because there's no way for anyone to test this and disprove you that we'll all just lap up your nonsense, but it doesn't work that way.

Gamerguy84

The Verge constantly run negative PS5 articles along with their sister sites.

I wouldn't take any advice from a pub that's on someone else's payroll in some capacity.
They report false things like PSN outages often. Should some readers take their advice and things go wrong it's more negative press

Md Ray

False, "very likely" based on nothing. And I'm not triggered, you're just full of shit. You cannot assume overall performance of a game based on a single area, nor does it work 1:1 like you are claiming. You literally know nothing and are just making things up, you can't just take a fps difference in a single area and then tack it on everywhere like that's how this stuff works. The FACT is, we have ZERO clue what the PS5 would do at native 4k...ZERO. Anything you claim past that is an INVENTION. It could completely tank for all you know. You're pretending that IO dropped the resolution and shadows for nothing.

You think that because there's no way for anyone to test this and disprove you that we'll all just lap up your nonsense, but it doesn't work that way.
"I'm not triggered" then proceeds with "you're just full of shit". Make up your mind.
Based on the 19fps difference in that scene and at least 9-10fps consistently higher fps on PS5 in another spot, I can tell you that that's how the overall performance of HM3 would be like, 15-20fps higher if unlocked, perhaps even higher. Rendering at native 4K + higher quality shadow = more load on the GPU, this isn't some news flash, this is how it works. There's no unlimited compute power in either of these consoles. More load on the GPU = more frequent frame rate dips. Doesn't matter if it's that one level or the entire game. My point is, the actual perf differential between these GPUs wouldn't be 44% when you equalize resolution and graphics, just because one has 44% more CU. I'm sorry that facts offend you.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
"I'm not triggered" then proceeds with "you're just full of shit". Make up your mind.
Based on the 19fps difference in that scene and at least 9-10fps consistently higher fps on PS5 in another spot, I can tell you that that's how the overall performance of HM3 would be like, 15-20fps higher if unlocked, perhaps even higher. Rendering at native 4K + higher quality shadow = more load on the GPU, this isn't some news flash, this is how it works. There's no unlimited compute power in either of these consoles. More load on the GPU = more frequent frame rate dips. Doesn't matter if it's that one level or the entire game. My point is, the actual perf differential between these GPUs wouldn't be 44% when you equalize resolution and graphics, just because one has 44% more CU. I'm sorry that facts offend you.

Nah, the drops are down to a certain transparency effect, that isn't present in 95% of the game, that's why it runs at a locked 60fps nearly all the time.
Since the transparency effect isn't present on the other levels you can't draw any conclusions about performance of the whole game in the pretend world of an uncapped framerate.

So you are taking 2 scenes to equal the entire game? That makes zero sense. Again if I recall it's only transparency that makes Xbox drop and it was an issue for the earlier titles. It doesn't seem to be the case anymore. If anything ps5 has been dropping more from transparency lately. You can't pick and choose data to back A claim. You have to use all relevant data.

ethomaz

Banned
That's the MAX speed. Its not constantly running at the max speed. Infact XPG says "up to 3.9 gb/s".
Do you know what up to is? The actual average speed in real world performance is probably 1.5-3 GB/s tbh.
Maybe it is a read at 3.9GB/s SSD like Verge showed but it is in reality 1GB/s lol

Man you guys are really getting out of the line with these weird claims.

Last edited:
Going back to discussing SSDs on both systems.

Isn't the custom I/O hardware supposed to allow them to better utilize the drives that they were given?

I remember Mark talked about inefficiencies to get can cause the flow of data to be a lot less then the rated read speeds.

Wouldn't an average read speed of 1GB/s from a much faster drive (5.5GB/s for example) not even be possible with the elimination of all these bottlenecks?

In theory the average read speed should be much closer to the peak due to the elimination of inefficiencies.

20200329140359.jpg

20200329140503.jpg

Last edited:
And it'll still keep up in next-gen games, and in some, you'll see around 15-18% difference in titles with dynamic resolution engaged as it was expected since before launch. You won't see a 44% difference or anywhere close to it.
Nobody sane expected a 44% difference. As I said, performance is CU times frequency. It's all about them teraflops.

FranXico

Wouldn't there be an even more negative story if it didn't?

Can't win with the media these days....
Nah, this one is the best possible scenario. Convince people to buy slower SSDs (and without a heatsink too - nice touch, DF), then report on the widespread hardware failures.

They'll manufacture that Sony RRoD equivalent, no matter how convoluted the labirynth to get there, damn it!

Last edited:

Md Ray

So you are taking 2 scenes to equal the entire game? That makes zero sense. Again if I recall it's only transparency that makes Xbox drop and it was an issue for the earlier titles. It doesn't seem to be the case anymore. If anything ps5 has been dropping more from transparency lately. You can't pick and choose data to back A claim. You have to use all relevant data.
I'm sure if you unlock the fps you'd see a higher framerate on PS5. And no, it isn't just due to transparency. It's a combination of many things. DF report that it's a GPU bottleneck on the SX due to a combination of native 4K, alpha + higher quality shadow being thrown into the mix causing those 40-50fps slow-downs. So you think 44% CU difference translates to 44% real world perf differential if res/graphics were to be equalised?

Md Ray

Nah, the drops are down to a certain transparency effect, that isn't present in 95% of the game, that's why it runs at a locked 60fps nearly all the time.
Since the transparency effect isn't present on the other levels you can't draw any conclusions about performance of the whole game in the pretend world of an uncapped framerate.
Not necessarily, no. It's a combination of many different things including higher rendering resolution which would cause the SX to be pixel fillrate bound resulting in those 40-50fps dips. Mendoza is the most demanding level GPU-wise in the whole game, so it makes sense.

I'm sure if you unlock the fps you'd see a higher framerate on PS5. And no, it isn't just due to transparency. It's a combination of many things. DF report that it's a GPU bottleneck on the SX due to a combination of native 4K, alpha + higher quality shadow being thrown into the mix causing those 40-50fps slow-downs. So you think 44% CU difference translates to 44% real world perf differential if res/graphics were to be equalised?
The Alpha is the transparency I was referring to. It was an issue in several early Xbox games but seems to be sorted now.
No not at all. I think Hitman is a silly thing to base any kind of conclusion on. however if you want to draw one it would be in that game Xbox has on average a 40% advantage and shadow advantage for the majority of the game. I don't see this as being relevant to any other game though hence my stance of it's silly.

Connxtion

R.37b6f5bf57d8b5e242b6aa4ac43a61ae

You got next weeks lottery numbers by any chance? 😂

kingfey

Banned
Nah, this one is the best possible scenario. Convince people to buy slower SSDs (and without a heatsink too - nice touch, DF), then report on the widespread hardware failures.

They'll manufacture that Sony RRoD equivalent, no matter how convoluted the labirynth to get there, damn it!
Welcome to the brain dead that is called consumers.
If these idiots can make these assumptions, how do you expect general people to know how to change their SSD without putting any heat sink.

This is what we have been warning people about. General people are stupid, when it comes to technology.

Md Ray

The 4k effects the fps. Any drop you see on XSX is because of the 4k rendering.
Ps5 doesn't do 4k, which is why its maintaining its fps.
Which is what I've been saying all along... Higher rendering load = GPU bottleneck therefore more frame rate dips.
Interested Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
They can buy NVMEs with heatsinks?

images

I should have warned you about that.
Heat sink? You mean the kitchen stuff?

Because that is what they will think about it. Hell, even I dont even know what this heat sink is.

We are expecting more from these tech illiterate man.

You average playstation tech guy is 500k, to 1m. The rest are your small guys, sports guy, kids, People who are less familiar with techs and just want to play games. They aren't pc people, who deal with these shits. Even as a pc guy, I feel stupid sometimes, because I don't know most of these techs. I am not that familiar with it.

If you ask them what is 60 fps, I guarantee you that they will tell you what is fps?

I learned what is native 4k and dynamic 4k from a Twitter argument today. Before, I had no clue about it.

So honest question..

What's the next game that's going to push the SSD (other than shaving a second or two off loading times) now that the next year's worth of big hitters are multiplatform or cross gen?

By the time the next big PS5 exclusive comes you might actually be able to buy PC parts again and PC may have leap frogged the PS5 in I/O & SSD terms (at the high end at least).

It's not often that consoles have an advantage over PCs in any area of performance that the PC can't just brute force its way past but we had that here with the PS5 I/O and SSD.

Now it looks like we effectively get R&C before PC is well ahead in all performance metrics again assuming that RTX I/O and the DirectStorage see the light of day - probably COVID has a lot to thank for this.

kingfey

Banned
So honest question..

What's the next game that's going to push the SSD (other than shaving a second or two off loading times) now that the next year's worth of big hitters are multiplatform or cross gen?

By the time the next big PS5 exclusive comes you might actually be able to buy PC parts again and PC may have leap frogged the PS5 in I/O & SSD terms (at the high end at least).

It's not often that consoles have an advantage over PCs in any area of performance that the PC can't just brute force its way past but we had that here with the PS5 I/O and SSD.

Now it looks like we effectively get R&C before PC is well ahead in all performance metrics again assuming that RTX I/O and the DirectStorage see the light of day - probably COVID has a lot to thank for this.
Stalker 2. If that is coming to ps5. That shit is hot. Its a pc game, so graphics will be nuts, like cyberpunk2077. Wonder how xsx will handle the game.

Are you about that?

You're not making any sense at the moment.

Are you having a breakdown?

Sometimes you need to relax a bit and think before you post something. There's no need to freak out over an NVME installation or exaggerate the issues that people will have with it. The great majority of PS5 owners won't have issues installing it. You can relax now.

kingfey

Banned
You're not making any sense at the moment.

Are you having a breakdown?

Sometimes you need to relax a bit and think before you post something. There's no need to freak out over an NVME installation or exaggerate the issues that people will have with it. The great majority of PS5 owners won't have issues installing it. You can relax now.
Typo.
I was going with your joke.

As for installing the thing, it won't be that simple.

Majority of Playstation users aren't like you. Don't expect them to know how to do this. They won't know it.

Hell, most of them don't even use Twitter or forums.

Typo.
I was going with your joke.

As for installing the thing, it won't be that simple.

Majority of Playstation users aren't like you. Don't expect them to know how to do this. They won't know it.

Hell, most of them don't even use Twitter or forums.

I'm pretty sure the majority of PlayStation users will be like this guy.

Most people will have access to YouTube. You don't need twitter or the forums to learn how to install one.

Anyways there are plenty of good guides out there even for those that don't really understand tech.

It's not like Sony is asking you to solder a new drive to the motherboard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom