• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5's SSD Expansion, while not as accessible as the competitors, it's surprisingly cheaper than I expected

isoRhythm

Banned
Been shopping around for some SSD expansions for my computer. I would've thought that PS5 compatible expansion SSDs (1 TB) would be at least $200 CAD for the next year or so. Nope, seeing some already on Amazon for $170 CAD (about 130 USD)

V8831wu.png

Comparatively the Series option, which is far easier to use/install, is nearly 70% more expensive (Granted it is not on sale but geez.. almost $300 CAD for a TB??)

nEo1h32.png

I was a bit on the fence installing the SSD, I find it easy as most others here will. But people I know irl may face some issues. Seeing these price differences already might just negate that... Are there any chances 3rd parties will step in to create storage cards for the Series consoles to spur competition?

Last edited:
MS did the same thing with hard drives for the 360 (charge a ridiculous price for a cheap HD in a proprietary case). There were no 3rd party hard drives for that back then (people might have been putting their own HDs in there, but I don't remember).
You could put your own hard drive in there, but you had to flash it for it to work, which was fairly complicated.

Proprietary always sucks for price over 3rd market solutions. With 3rd parties there's several companies involved with R&D, competing to get the price and technology improved. With proprietary, there's only usually one or two companies involved and their immediate goal is not to get prices reduced since they are a monopoly and only option.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah that’s why you dont go with proprietary solutions. I remember buying a 360 arcade for $150 then realizing halo coop requires harddrives and every hdd they were selling was like $100. Luckily my friend had a spare 20 gb hdd i was able to use without feeling ripped off.

Now they are selling a console for $300 with just 360 gb of useable space and are charging $240 for an extra gb. Stuff like this is pretty scrummy. I was just praising ms in the other thread for being far more consumer friendly compared to Sony but this is really lame.

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:
I just ordered that 1tb xpg gammix thing. arrives on friday. it was 139.99. (gotta have room for silent hill revival and metal gear remake lmao.)

Back when I had my Vita I never liked how expensive the memory card were. My 3DS was dirt cheap to upgrade compared to the Vita memory cards. I'm seeing the same thing with the Series and PS5 memory expansion options.

They both have their advantages but I still think the Series cards are too expensive even though they are very convenient.

Currently there's a ton of competition in the PC NVME market which is why we have a wide variety of sizes at different price point. The same isn't true for the Series drives due to Seagates monopoly. While I do believe that won't last forever I don't think the Series drives will ever be as cheap as some of the options on the PS5.

Overall I prefer the PS5 NVME drives due to the price and the amount of options that I have in the market. While not as convenient as the Series drives I'm not mentally handicapped so it's an easy task for me to install an NVME plus a heatsink.

Last edited:
pro tip
you can use the third party ssd drives with an nvme adaptor on the series consoles

Seems like it's a very limited selection of SSDs that you can use. Seems like it would be easier finding a compatible drive for the PS5 than the Series consoles if your going with your solution.

FingerBang

Yes, and I and others have been saying this from the start, it was always going to be the best solution in the long run. Months of Xbox fanboys making fun of PS5 owners not being able to expand storage, then bragging about being able to put it in and out simply. Is that really worth the price? I don't think so.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea I'm still wondering if Xbox is charging this much to make up for costs elsewhere in production. The SSD prices are absolutely insane.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The PS5 SSD upgrade was pretty cost effective for me. I used the 1 TB Crucial P5 Plus and it's been great so far. Read ~6000 Mbps when I installed it and currently $145 at Best Buy and Amazon.

I have a 1TB expansion in my XSX as well. I got the Seagate card for $190 or so back in June. The price of that card really needs to drop.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Brother got the same drive for his ps5, $140 US. He also paid $180 for his Xbox drive.

aclar00

Sorry, I’m sitting home with covid atm and can’t see shit lol

Im waiting for the 2TB to go below $300usd before i bite for the PS5. Dont need the space just yet. I also can delete some older games if it becomes an issue.

PS4 games take up the most space for me currently. I doubt ill upgrade after that, but if I do, its nice to know i can convert the drive to portable storage.

edit: didnt mean to reply to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom