• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Quarry - Reviews Thread

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Fucking 75€?

Was looking forward to this but I think I'll wait for the first price drop.
Yeah in Canada I paid 114.96$ tax included for the Deluxe digital version.

Yet I enjoy those movie games as its a nice change of pace and the production values are good.

Except for that "DON'T MOVE" bullshit in Until Dawn where I lost 3 characters in one shot but they changed that mechanic :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Uhm. The facial models in this are fucking out of control. There's still the same issue from UNTIL DAWN where the animation tries to be TOO good and comes off awkward, but overall the fidelity is absolutely nuts.

. . .only played portion of the tutorial though and I will say the campiness is on point (no pun intended). Tutorials narrator (I hope they are the full narrator) made me smile and the tutorials themselves are these weird Pip-Boy-esque videos that explain concepts. I laughed after one tutorial tells you essentially "inaction is also a course of action. . .sometimes it is the best one", you get a chance to "snoop" if you want. . .however the object of your snooping is so fucking obvious it's like "Wait, if this is a private thing I shouldn't be snooping on. . .why is it just hanging outside this bag?"

Having not played any of SM's anthology games, can't speak to their modern output, but this is feeling very much look an old familiar friend (just with a massive fidelity increase).

Pilgrimzero

Fantastic so far.

Having played the intro. I do have an issue/question

"I tricked him to show me where the camp is." She did? Did I blink and miss it?

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
About 2 hours in and this feels like the true sequel to Until Dawn.

But like Karak mentioned in his review the eyes are weird and not focused sometimes.

Still stupid fun :messenger_winking:

Solarstrike

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
About 2 hours in and this feels like the true sequel to Until Dawn.

But like Karak mentioned in his review the eyes are weird and not focused sometimes.

Still stupid fun :messenger_winking:

Like holy shit, what is LAURA looking at in the intro cinematic. It is even more awkward given how subdued the guy driving is, like, did one of you smoke some meth while the other was chilling with some wacky-tobaccky?

Another cool story bro post but was going to get this on PS5 for some couch co-op but its £65 on PS5 and £32 on PC and I can feel Martin Lewis judging me for even considering it so will wait a while.

Rayderism

I played up to the start of chapter 6 last night. So far, no one has died yet, but one person is a bit damaged. I'm liking it, but some of those cutscenes can run a bit long. Might prove annoying on subsequent playthroughs. Figured out that (on PS5 anyway) L1 lets you walk a little faster.....not much, but a little, although walking up or down stairs defaults to the slower speed.

For people that were wondering, Gorefest mode IS a separate option from the other movie modes when you buy the deluxe edition. So that makes 4 movie modes; Everyone lives, everyone dies, director's chair and Gorefest. Haven't explored any of that yet.

I did see a few visual glitches here and there.....twitching hair on a couple characters, a few blocky shadows, minor texture detail pop-ins, and this weird sort of contrast shift in some scenes. And that last one was NOT my TV doing that as I have none of those "auto-enhancer" settings enabled. Framerate appears to be 30fps (I guess that figures, since it's a "movie game") with heavier motion blurring than I care for that you can't adjust.

Tell you one thing though, this game really helped me dial in the black levels on my new Sony X85J TV. It's very dark most of the time. I was surprised that it was only 1 tick up on the TV's black level setting that instantly fixed it.

shubik

Is there any way to change the language on the PS5? I looked everywhere and can’t find anything in the settings. The game runs on the horrible German dub for me. I just want the original dub…

Kerotan

Smart Delivery is for free upgrades, not for charged ones.
As in: if you have to pay for the upgrade, it won't use smart delivery.
Exactly so if the dev wants to rightly charge extra for next gen version they can with smart delivery. Otherwise everybody buys last Gen version like I did with horizon forbidden west. It's pointless for Devs.

I ho
Yeah, that €70 price tag for a fully fledged single player game is no joke.
I hope it does kill the game. I would've bought at $60 but thus is absurd, just like Last of Us Remake. Gaming companies are pretty much getting away with bloody murder right now with the way they've been able to monetize every aspect of games. People need to realize these are mass produced items and stop paying a premium, like the $90-$140 "ultimate and collectors" overpriced editions.

Again the blame lies somewhere between the publishers and console gamers, because they can't get away with this on PC. The gaming industry has not only destroyed the threat of piracy but have been able to name their prices. Between lootboxes, season passes, battle passes, dlc, ultimate/collectors editions and now STANDARD editions ...it's just crazy. They were all waiting and ready to jump all over NFT's too ..and still release their games with massive glaring performance issues that sometimes never get fixed ..like Elden Ring on next gen consoles which still is a stuttery mess. At least Sony, who's primarily to blame for $70 base price tag, puts out reasonably polished games and fixes their games issues.

FUCK! lol yeah I'm in a bad mood thinking of this shit

I played up to the start of chapter 6 last night. So far, no one has died yet, but one person is a bit damaged. I'm liking it, but some of those cutscenes can run a bit long. Might prove annoying on subsequent playthroughs. Figured out that (on PS5 anyway) L1 lets you walk a little faster.....not much, but a little, although walking up or down stairs defaults to the slower speed.

For people that were wondering, Gorefest mode IS a separate option from the other movie modes when you buy the deluxe edition. So that makes 4 movie modes; Everyone lives, everyone dies, director's chair and Gorefest. Haven't explored any of that yet.

I did see a few visual glitches here and there.....twitching hair on a couple characters, a few blocky shadows, minor texture detail pop-ins, and this weird sort of contrast shift in some scenes. And that last one was NOT my TV doing that as I have none of those "auto-enhancer" settings enabled. Framerate appears to be 30fps (I guess that figures, since it's a "movie game") with heavier motion blurring than I care for that you can't adjust.

Tell you one thing though, this game really helped me dial in the black levels on my new Sony X85J TV. It's very dark most of the time. I was surprised that it was only 1 tick up on the TV's black level setting that instantly fixed it.
So on a next gen console the game has: only 30 fps, broken gamma/hdr, whacked out facial animations, and puts a paywall on certain modes ...and charges $70 for the standard edition . Despite being 10 hours and of questionable "AAA" production values ...

Wait a minute ...if the ps5 is only 30 fps ...it's possible that there is NO DIFFERENCE between the xb1x/ps4 pro and next gen consoles ...visually? I can't wait for Digital Foundry to look at this

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Fantastic so far.

Having played the intro. I do have an issue/question

"I tricked him to show me where the camp is." She did? Did I blink and miss it?

You did. She asks after he points to their destination. It is blink and miss it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I ho

I hope it does kill the game. I would've bought at $60 but thus is absurd, just like Last of Us Remake. Gaming companies are pretty much getting away with bloody murder right now with the way they've been able to monetize every aspect of games. People need to realize these are mass produced items and stop paying a premium, like the $90-$140 "ultimate and collectors" overpriced editions.

Again the blame lies somewhere between the publishers and console gamers, because they can't get away with this on PC. The gaming industry has not only destroyed the threat of piracy but have been able to name their prices. Between lootboxes, season passes, battle passes, dlc, ultimate/collectors editions and now STANDARD editions ...it's just crazy. They were all waiting and ready to jump all over NFT's too ..and still release their games with massive glaring performance issues that sometimes never get fixed ..like Elden Ring on next gen consoles which still is a stuttery mess. At least Sony, who's primarily to blame for $70 base price tag, puts out reasonably polished games and fixes their games issues.

FUCK! lol yeah I'm in a bad mood thinking of this shit
10 bucks is a bridge to far? Strange. The price of everything is going up and videogames are no exception. Were you old enough during the cartridge days? I payed 80 bucks for doom 64 and was happy to do it.

Its cool "play" a movie then play VIDEOGAMES after, but i won't pay full price for this. I'll wait!

There's some cool interactive movies on psn with a fair price!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah but he just says the motel can tell her how to get the camp. He never shows here where it is

He does. It points at it, but doesn’t tell how to get to it. Understanding basic maps, which is something most people should know and having two points (*both where they currently are and where the Motel is), you can figure out how to get to a third point pretty easily.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Has anyone figured out good HDR settings for OLED tvs? It’s too dark and I can’t get it to look right.

I am on a c9 and yeah, it's a struggle. All supermassive games have given me this issue. Maybe it's their engine. I have the PC version.

I love OLEDs, but black crush is a real issue on them. If you are on a PC, then window's own processing also contributes because I've tried playing same movie on VLC on windows and through USB on TV with same settings, and the black crush is much lesser when playing through USB.

Not sure what to do about it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I am on a c9 and yeah, it's a struggle. All supermassive games have given me this issue. Maybe it's their engine. I have the PC version.

I love OLEDs, but black crush is a real issue on them. If you are on a PC, then window's own processing also contributes because I've tried playing same movie on VLC on windows and through USB on TV with same settings, and the black crush is much lesser when playing through USB.

Not sure what to do about it.
Bump the gamma or brightness up?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
First two hours (after the intro with Laura and Max) are a deception, but I'm confident it will be better as the game progress.

Has anyone figured out good HDR settings for OLED tvs? It’s too dark and I can’t get it to look right.
So I'm not alone with this issue. I'm playing on PC but it seems like the problem is present on all platform.

Top Bottom