• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Quarry - Reviews Thread

Rayderism

So I watched Gorefest mode last night....I came away disappointed. I expected a lot more actual gore than what I saw.

If you have the video filters in the options, I suggest playing in Indie mode. While there is some oversaturation, it generally looks a lot better than default.

Thinking of installing the PS4 version, just to compare.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Any impressions so far? I loved Until Dawn, didn't give a shit about their anthology...

Have only played around 2 chapters so take it for what its worth. This seems much closer to Until Dawn than anything in the anthology. Cabin in the woods/teen cast/spooky shit going on etc. The gameplay is broadly same as previous games. The characters are somewhat interesting, though some clichés. I like these type of games and loved Until Dawn so its right up my alley. Some of actors are also well known and good so that helps.

Anthology was very uneven and nothing reached the level of Until Dawn. Hopefully this turns out far better.

Reizo Ryuu

Any impressions so far? I loved Until Dawn, didn't give a shit about their anthology...
I'm almost done with my playthrough and it's cool, lots of possible choices throughout; there's a few chapter near the mid that drag a bit though (but that could also depend your choices I guess), but I like it thus far.

Last edited:

Jada_Li

Banned
No spoilers, but I did finish the whole game and it took me over 10 hours. I don't know if it's just my computer or the wrong settings but I have poor performance issues. I turned the graphic settings to medium and it still lags or still frame and has initially silent and/or repeating audio when loading the new chapter. I tried to record this game but apparently this game is just too new and powerful for ShadowPlay to handle and use the GPU at the same time. So I played without recording/NVidia overlay and while the loading and stuttering wasn't no where near as bad as before, the start of a chapter or sometimes during mid gameplay gets horrible stutter/lag for a bit before it fixes itself. Maybe it's not just me? Maybe the game needs a patch?

I enjoyed The Quarry, just not the issues. I want to play again but unless I figure out why my performance is so bad and can get a fix to it, I don't think I will. In the meantime though, I'll just trial and error it if the problem is on my end.

Win 10 64-Bit
16 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce RTX 2070 (Updated to latest driver)
1 TB SSD/ 1 TB HDD (Installed on my HDD but maybe I should try uninstalling and reinstalling on my SSD to see any difference)
Intel Core i7 9700K @3.6 GHz

Edit:
Moved The Quarry game files over to the SSD and it pretty much fixed everything for me. I can play at higher graphic settings and record without any lag/stutter/freezing/out-of-sync audio/etc. I wish under the recommended system requirements it listed SSD because I would have cleared up space and installed there first. But okay, I'm still kind of a newbie PC gamer. Regardless though, The Quarry ran poorly on a HDD for me. I wonder what others experiences are on HDD.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Only played the prologue but that shit felt uncomfortably slow and even more on rails, the Dark Anthology games at least have a quick and punchy prologue. I know this game is longer but damn.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is any of these games better than Until Dawn?
I did bought Until Dawn back in the day but I never even put the disc in yet :p
Guess it's 60fps on ps5 so why not...

I'm a framerate advocate, but it's honestly not so bad.
I'm sure it's not so bad but it's unacceptable for games like this (it ain't unreal engine 5 quality visuals) to be regressing in features, especially such an important one like fps.

Doesn't matter 30 fps is perfectly playable, they're charging $70 for this..it's almost insulting to skimp out on framerate when charging more than their previous effort. It's just another example of a rushed release where the devs/pubs don't care enough about their customers to do a modicum of optimization for.

drotahorror

No spoilers, but I did finish the whole game and it took me over 10 hours. I don't know if it's just my computer or the wrong settings but I have poor performance issues. I turned the graphic settings to medium and it still lags or still frame and has initially silent and/or repeating audio when loading the new chapter. I tried to record this game but apparently this game is just too new and powerful for ShadowPlay to handle and use the GPU at the same time. So I played without recording/NVidia overlay and while the loading and stuttering wasn't no where near as bad as before, the start of a chapter or sometimes during mid gameplay gets horrible stutter/lag for a bit before it fixes itself. Maybe it's not just me? Maybe the game needs a patch?

I enjoyed The Quarry, just not the issues. I want to play again but unless I figure out why my performance is so bad and can get a fix to it, I don't think I will. In the meantime though, I'll just trial and error it if the problem is on my end.

Win 10 64-Bit
16 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce RTX 2070 (Updated to latest driver)
1 TB SSD/ 1 TB HDD (Installed on my HDD but maybe I should try uninstalling and reinstalling on my SSD to see any difference)
Intel Core i7 9700K @3.6 GHz

Edit:
Moved The Quarry game files over to the SSD and it pretty much fixed everything for me. I can play at higher graphic settings and record without any lag/stutter/freezing/out-of-sync audio/etc. I wish under the recommended system requirements it listed SSD because I would have cleared up space and installed there first. But okay, I'm still kind of a newbie PC gamer. Regardless though, The Quarry ran poorly on a HDD for me. I wonder what others experiences are on HDD.

I don’t think I’ve played a graphically decent game ever on an hdd in over a decade unless it was on the ps4.

Ryu Kaiba

There are moments where the lighting and the Mo-cap are done so well it looks indistinguishable from a movie.

Not always but its nice.

This shows that the potential is there, we've made it to photorealism.

Pilgrimzero

I can’t say this is as good as Until Dawn but I like it.

One thing I really like is that it requires you to collect evidence to show the police after it’s over to prove the survivors innocence. Something horror movies never really deal with.

Cop: “So let me this straight. You are covered in blood and the sole survivor of 10 friends… and it was a demon? That correct?”

Final Girl: “Exactly, Officer.”

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
I have played almost all the SM games and they are def. in the top 5 most over rated/ hyped devs in existence. The writing is mediocre, the choices and systems in place are usually trash and lets not get started on the characters. They excel in mo-cap and some atmosphere, but make no mistake this is a studio that has not one title worth $20 max.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have played almost all the SM games and they are def. in the top 5 most over rated/ hyped devs in existence. The writing is mediocre, the choices and systems in place are usually trash and lets not get started on the characters. They excel in mo-cap and some atmosphere, but make no mistake this is a studio that has not one title worth $20 max.

You do realize they write as well as the average 80s horror movie, right? Its supposed to be silly, over the top, dumb, and schlocky. That is the entire point of these games. Silly and fun horror cliches in game form with some choose your path adventure design.

Their games completely went over your head, mate.

Rayderism

All I can say at this point is that I've played through twice, watched the Gorefest movie mode once and am currently playing through a third time, and they all have been very different. I can already tell that my third play is again going to be significantly different than the first two. So that 186 different endings thing might not be as much bullshit as originally thought. No "illusion of choice" baloney in this one, choices actually DO make a big difference. The replayability factor is high in this one.

Biggest issue this game has is contrast levels. That seems to be all over the place in this game. Too dark, just right, not dark enough, changing contrast in the middle of a scene.....WTF?!? Supermassive really needs to work on that issue.

CitizenZ

Banned
You do realize they write as well as the average 80s horror movie, right? Its supposed to be silly, over the top, dumb, and schlocky. That is the entire point of these games. Silly and fun horror cliches in game form with some choose your path adventure design.

Their games completely went over your head, mate.

Yes, I understand, but did you play the others where they are trying to be more serious? Its terrible.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No 60fps on XBXx or PS5? No I won’t be purchasing

Yeah, unless there is some drastic ass difference in other effects, I don't see any reason why Xbox owners shouldn't just get the One version.

The One X enhancements over Series X should run just as well, One X versions are often 4K at 30 FPS as well.

It's just really baffling they can't get 30 FPS on a game, that alerady has massive black bars on top and bottom anyway.

I am on Chapter 7.

The game starts out right in to the horror.

After that, chapters 1 and 2 are a little slower with not many scares (just a few creepy parts) as you’re getting to know the characters better and the story is being set up.

Chapter 3 is when shit starts to get real and it gets better from there. Not that the first 2 chapters suck, there’s just not much going on with scares.

I am enjoying it, which I expected as Until Dawn was a great game. I’m a trophy whore so I plan on getting plat on this one as well, looking forward to all the different storylines.

Rayderism

Not sure who might care, but I installed the PS4 version for comparison....only played a bit of the prologue to instantly see the differences.

Lower res textures (the map in front of the lodge was particularly obvious), weaker lighting (PS4 version looked less brilliant....a little flat, like the brights couldn't get as bright and less colors were used, if that makes sense), longer load times (especially the initial boot into the first scene was extremely long), texture pop-ins took longer to resolve, overall lower res (saw some aliasing that doesn't exist in the PS5 version)....the usual last gen suspects. Also, the PS4 version was ~20GB larger. Framerate seemed fine, but, you know, a 30fps game, so meh. I didn't play it beyond the prologue, and since I installed it on PS5 in BC mode, I figure that would compare to the PS4 Pro. The base PS4 would likely have worse performance and/or further downgrades, but I'm not digging my OG PS4 out of the closet just to see how much worse.

PS4 version seemed perfectly playable and looked fine for what it, as long as a person never saw the PS5 version, but the PS5 version IS obviously better, as it should be.

Pilgrimzero

Beat it. Last part was very anti-climatic.

And the power puzzle I guess I missed the rules cause it made no sense and I left it alone. Some guidance here would have helped.

Finished my playthrough last night. Overall, I had a great time with it, but I think it's a step back from Until Dawn in many ways. For one, the "don't breathe" mechanic is laughably easy in this one.

Two, I think some of the deaths are poorly scripted because every single one of my deaths was nonsensical. Late in the game, I got both Kaitlyn and another guy killed because she literally refused to use her shotgun that she was walking around with. There wasn't a single prompt to use it during the entire encounter, and they both die as a result of one single decision. And then another scene where a prompt shows up that says "Stop Laura"... from doing what? The game doesn't show you what she's doing, despite the player character looking in her direction. I waited for the camera to change and before I knew it, it was too late and she had killed one of the transformed counselors.

And lastly, I feel like Grace Zabriskie received little to no direction from the voice director. I love her in every David Lynch production she's been in, but her line reading is just all over the place in this one.

Edit: forgot to mention I barely got to see Lin Shaye act, because I accidentally shot her in the face during a struggle. Oops

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No OT for this?
btw am I the only one that finds Dylan annoying.

Top Bottom