• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Quest for SSX 3

So I have a PS4 with a PS3 in tow, the Wii U with VC, a PC, and both portables (New 3DS XL and PS Vita Slim). I'm waiting for a Halo 5 bundle for the XB1. But there was still a major hole in my gaming heart, and that is I have no way to play one of my favorite games of all time, SSX 3. Why did I ever sell this game?

There is only one true way to enjoy this game and that's on a Dual Shock 2. So I began my quest for SSX 3 plus a PS2. Of course I wanted all new games and hardware, plus a good amount of other games to justify the investment. This is harder than one might think.

The PS2 had tons of great games, but the section of games I personally had any affinity to was shockingly small due to the constant barrage of HD remakes on PS3. Still, I was able to pick out 12 games I think are better on or are only found on a PS2 generation system.

01. Final Fantasy XII (exclusive)

02. Dragon Quest XIII (exclusive)

03. Persona 3 FES (why emulate on PSN when you can have the real deal)

04. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (classic, better on PS2 due to lack of bugs vs PS3 versions)

05. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (better due to lack of bugs)

06. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (better due to lack of bugs)

07. Devil May Cry (classic, better on PS2 due to uneven upgrades on the PS3)

08. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (classic, better on PS2 again)

09. Viewtiful Joe (henshin a go go baby!! no HD port)

10. Viewtiful Joe 2 (mo heshin!! no HD port)

11. SSX Tricky (its tricckkey!! maximizing my SSX experience, no HD port)

12. SSX 3 (DJ Atomica!! the king of snowboarding games, no HD port)

Everything bought factory sealed new via Amazon or eBay. Most games were around $20 bucks, one or two around $35, Tricky was the most at $75. I snagged a PS2 Slim (latest generation with built in power brick) for $200, two Sony 8MB memory cards for $25, a Sony component cable for $35, and a Sony DS2 controller for $25. And finding both DMCs, Warrior Within, and Persona 3 still sold new sold by Amazon directly was a surprise.

All in all not a bad ending for a quest long past its experation date.

you paid $75 for SSX Tricky?!?!?!? what the fuck. I didn't even pay that much when I bought it new back in the day. don't know what to tell you as I'm pretty sure that it isn't even a rare game...

edit: this also confirms that i'm never opening my factory sealed RE4 wii edition (played the game on 360 instead), i'll wait 10 years until someone decides they want to buy a factory sealed copy haha

Yep, pricy as shit. I looked and looked but it was not available factory sealed from reputable seller any cheaper. That's the cost of waiting too long.

Plenty used. I wanted factory sealed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In the case of Tricky, are you sure it was worth going new?

Make sure you play on a CRT at least!

In the case of Tricky, are you sure it was worth going new?

Make sure you play on a CRT at least!
If there was one I should have gone used, that was indeed the one. It was the first I bought, so in for a penny in for a pound.

I had a $40 one in my cart that sold before I made up my mind too.

Of course being single with disposable income helps, I also bought two PS4 VLX sticks this month. They were even more than the PS2 collection. I'm also building up the master collection for my upcoming gaming podcast.

Jimrpg

Silent Hill 2 & 3, Yakuza 1 & 2, Sky odyssey

Also you could have got a third party component cable for like $5.

Not too shabby. I've often time thought of splurging to get:

OG XBox
Jet Set Radio Future / Sega GT 2002 combo disc

Those games are only available on OG XBox due to no ports, and they're so freaking fun.

Not too shabby. I've often time thought of splurging to get:

OG XBox
Jet Set Radio Future / Sega GT 2002 combo disc

Those games are only available on OG XBox due to no ports, and they're so freaking fun.

I looked into collecting GameCube games. Don't even think about it factory sealed new. Prices are hella stupid even for me.

Clunker

SSX 3 is still my favorite in the series. There are legit arguments to be made about Tricky instead; they're two very different games in terms of tone and feel, but I just happen to prefer the slick, euro-cool tranced-out feel of 3 over the arcade personality-packed madness of Tricky. 3 is one of the very few GC games I have left (another being, as mentioned above, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time).

This thread just makes me even sadder about how disappointing every other SSX game since 3 was. :(

Remark

Banned
SSX 3 is still my favorite in the series. There are legit arguments to be made about Tricky instead; they're two very different games in terms of tone and feel, but I just happen to prefer the slick, euro-cool tranced-out feel of 3 over the arcade personality-packed madness of Tricky. 3 is one of the very few GC games I have left (another being, as mentioned above, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time).

This thread just makes me even sadder about how disappointing every other SSX game since 3 was. :(
SSX 2012 was pretty good. Just didn't fuck with the whole 'you can fall in holes and die' shit. If they make another they should make it as pure and close to the original SSX games as possible.

ShowDog

All I can say is good luck with everything, including the podcast! You would probably like a lot of random niche PS2 games that never got ported or get mentioned anymore. It would give you something more to talk about besides mega-franchises too.

Big Dog

What on earth caused you to think you needed everything factory sealed? You just unnecessarily lost a lot of money...

ConceptX

Originally I thought that was far too much for SSX, then you said you wanted factory sealed.

Ok that makes sense then at that price.

But you want to play it, so you'll be opening it.

...I don't understand.

Sounds like you had fun on your journey though.

Spazznid

I play SSX 3 on Xbox 360, because it ups the resolution for some reason and has perfect or near perfect 16x9 Display ratio. Works perfectly. Other than that, SSX is a joy to play on emulators at 60 fps with AA.

Gator86

This hit me right in the feels. SSX was the launch game that blew me away when the PS2 launched. Tricky and 3 are two of my favorite titles and among the best games ever made. God, what happened to this franchise is one of the saddest stories in gaming. I don't think I'm ever going to get over it.

...why would you want to buy factory sealed games for old consoles when you intend to play said games?

I like having mint discs and art. I'm slightly particular. I don't lend out for example because I keep my discs looking like a mirror. I would have to buy like 5 used SSX Trickys to piece together the mint quality I want. Besides, I'm not into games to make money. Unless the podcast takes off. Then I sorta am.

don't believe anybody's lies, OP. get SSX On Tour, it's a great game!!

Never played On Tour but SSX Blur was a disaster with the controls. A pretty game however. I have yet to try the PS3 game but with the wonders of digital I can buy that any time really. It's the eventual online servers shutting down thing that you have to watch out for.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This. All day long. Just needless spending.

I just bought SSX Tricky on PS2 on eBay. Cost me a tenth of that price and was absolutely pristine.

It's not needless spending to the OP though, he obviously got what he wanted for his money.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the SSX games work on PCSX2 well ?

lil

It's not needless spending to the OP though, he obviously got what he wanted for his money.

GODLIKE99KINGZ has run the first four and the footage is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvODD2hdBY Also, check out this post for screenshots and his rig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvODD2hdBY

They hold up amazingly well other than the textures. I've heard mixed results in terms of performance though, really depends on how good your setup is.

I want a 1-3 HD collection SO badly but without the assets it's probably not going to happen. :(

GWX

Man, I'm playing SSX 3 via Nintendont on my Wii U at native 480p and anamorphic widescreen and it looks sublime. 60 fps, open world, beautiful visuals... Hard to believe it's running on a GameCube (I know, it's a Wii U, but there's a GC inside of it)!

I loved the dts track for the ps2 version. That and Tricky were my favorite games to show off after I got my first receiver.

I remember the first time I got a platinum trophy and having no idea they were even part of the scoring system. That added a good several months of replay value.

stalker

So I have an off-topic question that came to my mind while reading that the OP bought a new Sony component cable for PS2. I have a PAL slim PS2 (the one with power sitll outside); I have barely used it but when I hook it to my 480p 4:3 LCD monitor it looks quite bad, really a lot worse than PAL Gamecube and Dreamcast both through RGB scart, let alone the Wii on component.

I connect the PS2 with an RGB scart cable I bougth for ultra cheap on eBay. Should I buy component cables? how can I know if they are good quality ones?

Also, for the PAL Gamecube component is irrelevant (no progressive scan); do PAL PS2 games run progressive?

Sorry for the OT.

tebunker

Banned
So I have a PS4 with a PS3 in tow, the Wii U with VC, a PC, and both portables (New 3DS XL and PS Vita Slim). I'm waiting for a Halo 5 bundle for the XB1. But there was still a major hole in my gaming heart, and that is I have no way to play one of my favorite games of all time, SSX 3. Why did I ever sell this game?

There is only one true way to enjoy this game and that's on a Dual Shock 2. So I began my quest for SSX 3 plus a PS2. Of course I wanted all new games and hardware, plus a good amount of other games to justify the investment. This is harder than one might think.

The PS2 had tons of great games, but the section of games I personally had any affinity to was shockingly small due to the constant barrage of HD remakes on PS3. Still, I was able to pick out 12 games I think are better on or are only found on a PS2 generation system.

01. Final Fantasy XII (exclusive)

02. Dragon Quest XIII (exclusive)

03. Persona 3 FES (why emulate on PSN when you can have the real deal)

04. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (classic, better on PS2 due to lack of bugs vs PS3 versions)

05. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (better due to lack of bugs)

06. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (better due to lack of bugs)

07. Devil May Cry (classic, better on PS2 due to uneven upgrades on the PS3)

08. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (classic, better on PS2 again)

09. Viewtiful Joe (henshin a go go baby!! no HD port)

10. Viewtiful Joe 2 (mo heshin!! no HD port)

11. SSX Tricky (its tricckkey!! maximizing my SSX experience, no HD port)

12. SSX 3 (DJ Atomica!! the king of snowboarding games, no HD port)

Everything bought factory sealed new via Amazon or eBay. Most games were around $20 bucks, one or two around $35, Tricky was the most at $75. I snagged a PS2 Slim (latest generation with built in power brick) for $200, two Sony 8MB memory cards for $25, a Sony component cable for $35, and a Sony DS2 controller for $25. And finding both DMCs, Warrior Within, and Persona 3 still sold new sold by Amazon directly was a surprise.

All in all not a bad ending for a quest long past its experation date.

Ps2 slim for $200 what the hell? There is no way that's the going rate used.

collige

Banned

Not the same emulator, but I've run SSX3 on Dolphin with no problems.

Does the OP realise there are better versions of at least half of those games on OG Xbox/Gamecube? Better graphics, performance etc.

I would also heartily recommend picking up Burnout 2 and Burnout 3.

Random unfiltered thread thoughts:

It's interesting how I pictured this thread in my mind (a glorious celebration of PS2 memories) and how it turned out!! Listen, I get it, I should have gone used on the pricer games. I'm typically annoyed at used games and always buy new. I don't even want the GameStop gutted copies. They always have scratches and artwork damage. I half went digital on PC/Playstations to save my own sanity from my desire to cherry pick at retail. But I'll conceed, I should have at least tried the used route for SSX Tricky. I was worried I'd never get a mint copy so I clicked on an auction offer at $50 and got carried away with winning the item. Every other game was reasonable price wise and really I don't regret buying Tricky new. It saved me tons of time tracking down a copy that looks good, then waiting to see it is not when I get it, then ordering again. This happened to me plenty of times in the past.

I don't have an XBOX or GC, or even a Wii that can play GC games, and I don't want to emulate or mod. The PS2 also had a few more must have exclusive RPGs and the best SSX controller hands down. The rest are somewhat less important but nice to have.

$200 is what new factory sealed PS2s go for now on eBay.

DMC has a somewhat uneven HD release. The cut scenes are blurry. Some textures are left blurry. So it's a mixed thing. I don't get the feeling that Capcom or Ubi puts a lot of effort into their HD makeovers. I'd rather an even blurry myself. And now I don't have to look at DMC2. Ever!! RE4 suffered the same fate on PSN so I bought that for the Wii. I've read about bugs on the POP Trilogy HD on PSN. I considered the PC for POP, but wasn't sure how those ports were. These games where cheap anyway. Like $15 or less each.

I was THIS close to buying Burnout 3 Takedown. I may still.

I don't think they will make a SSX HD Collection. EA stopped caring. They don't hire the nicer voice actors anymore for the series, the music since SSX 3 seems to be less and less of an event with every release, and they clearly don't think the francise will make them money any more. I hope they do make it and I'll buy that too, but I'm not waiting anymore. I feel they would have done it by now if it was going to happen. And I'm happy to have a way to play both FF12 and DQ8. I never had a chance to play those. So no regrets.

I don't know anything about scart connectors, sorry!!

I'm never listing prices in a thread ever again.

SSX 3 runs incredibly well in 1080p with enhanced resolution on PCSX2.

You don't even need to rip the game. Just stick it in your disc tray and go.

But if you want to spend an unnecessary amount of money to play it, you can go that route too.

Top Bottom