• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rescue |OT| Cave diving FTW

Cyberpunkd

So I was wondering if I should post it in this thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/elon-musk-built-a-“submarine”-to-rescue-thailand-kids—here’s-what-it-looks-like.1463597/

But I think it's fascinating to look back and see how the real events unfolded.

Long story short: 'The Rescue' is a 'docudrama' about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tham_Luang_cave_rescue made by National Geographic and available on Disney+, I came across it while getting my fix of dive-inspired movies after passing my dive certification recently. It's incredible and powerful piece that shows just how extreme the situation was. To sum up:

1. The guy accused of being a pedophile by Musk, Vernon Unsworth, was the first Thai government asked for due to his experience in diving and cataloging the cave system where the kids were.
2. He made a list of top cave divers that needed to be contacted, including John Volanthen and Richard Stanton, who in the end lead the rescue effort.
3. Cave diving worldwide is a domain of middle-aged guys doing it on their weekends while holding regular jobs - Thai Navy SEALS were way out of their element, didn't understand why they struggle where the white guys over 50 don't, and after losing one of their own refused to dive again.
4. The rescue effort was launched since it became clear the cave will be inaccessible very soon due to rain - Musk submarine plan would never have worked ; after moving the last 5 people the cave flooded for 8 months
5. The doctor administering the anesthesia to kids thought it will never work, that they were bound to lose many, if not all of the kids. He got immunity from the Thai government in case 'something went wrong'.
6. A trip back with each kid was approx. 3 hours, the kids were sedated twice out of fear they will panic and endanger the lives of the divers.

Truly a fascinating documentary I recommend to everyone.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The documentary is good. I also thought the movie by Ron Howard that just came out is good too.

The fact that they put the kids to sleep to swim them for 3 to 4 hours out of the cave is unbelievable.

Interesting, but it always strikes me as an incredible hubris to go for a star-laden movie instead of making a documentary or a docudrama.
The Ron Howard film is excellent. My gf is Thai and she cried like 3 times, she loved it.

Edit: Howard really highlighted the Thai people, the asian actors all spoke Thai and it didn't come off as a what you're suggesting. At least to me or her.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
At first I was surprised they didn’t have everyone speaking English. But I thought it was a good choice.

At first I was surprised they didn’t have everyone speaking English. But I thought it was a good choice.
Yeah I noticed it immediately and I'm so glad they did this. It made a huge difference to the tone of the film and I think it was entirely respectful.

Same directorial team as the people behind Free Solo, so I am excited to watch this.

Would this docudrama be better to start with first before the Ron Howard film?

Top Bottom