• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rise of Skywalker wasn’t that bad

Trunx81

Worst decision was to bring Palpatine back via Fortnite. Imagine Return of the Jedi could only be watched if you played the corresponding Atari 2600 game.

Sorcerer

JJ had no new ideas whatsoever. Force Awakens equal a New Hope. This after mocking George in the Vanity Fair article.
I made a jest that I bet JJ brings back the Death Star for Rise.
And I can't believe that he actually brought back the Death Star.
JJ had no ideas, Ryan had strange ideas.
But I think Ryan might have had something if he was given a one off standalone film, not brought into the middle of a trilology and given carte blanche. I have to give Ryan a slight edge.
If Ryan was given direction to follow, we would have had an Ice planet for sure in the Last Jedi. Empire Redux.

Last edited:

Trunx81

JJ had no new ideas whatsoever. Force Awakens equal a New Hope. This after mocking George in the Vanity Fair article.
I made a jest that I bet JJ brings back the Death Star for Rise.
And I can't believe that he actually brought back the Death Star.
JJ had no ideas, Ryan had strange ideas.
But I think Ryan might have had something if he was given a one off standalone film, not brought into the middle of a trilology and given carte blanche. I have to give Ryan a slight edge.
If Ryan was given direction to follow, we would have had an Ice planet for sure in the Last Jedi. Empire Redux.
Ryan made a remake of the first episode of Battlestar Galactica.
But: There was actually a solid ground for the next episode. The message was “everyone even a nobody can change the universe”, and not “you have to be a Skywalker”. I can imagine that Disney had the “Skywalker saga” name already branded, like “Infinity saga”, therefore they couldn’t go this route.

But imagine an Episode 9 building on that premise: Force users all over the galaxy, brought together by Rey, Finn and Poe to battle the now extremely evil Kylo Ren. An amazing climax battle in the end with thousands of civil ships against the first order, while new Jedi rampage against Kylos Knights of Ren on a new planet.

Boy how would the fans hated this 😅

Kimahri

Banned
I honestly don't remember anything from that movie aside from Rey suddenly claiming Skywalker as her name.

That's all I remember. So not as bad as The Last Jedi, a movie that just killed Star Wars for me, but completely forgettable.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean after TLJ J.J was basically like this
1iXF.gif

Anything that was planned (and I know nothing was) was just thrown out the window with TLJ.
anything to build upon was destroyed and the only thing it could have fell back on was killed.
It was a lose, lose situation.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
My favorite part is that Disney had an incredibly deep, colorful, and compelling extended universe to draw from with their sequel movies. Didn't have to be carbon copies (and of course that would not have been wise) but alot of the hard writing work was already done for them. By actual authors.

And they chose to dump it all out and put it in the hands of a bunch of hollywood hacks and committees. Lo and behold it sucked.

It was so simple:

- Antagonist: Imperial Remnant
- Protagonists: Solo twins
- Skywalker has a Jedi Academy, with a new generation of characters
- New Republic is integral part of the setting, political warts, growing pains and all
- Use Thrawn (at least as the initial villain)

I cannot give people the time of day who defend these movies. They're objectively trash and there was no real reason for it to be.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

No it wasn’t bad, it was awful.

I liked TFA and I was okay’ish about TLJ, but by the time TROS came around I looked back at the whole ST and appreciated what a complete mess it all was.

Mando is good, Rougue One is good, and hopefully Andor will be good. But the rest?….nah.

I have zero faith in Disney turning out anything decent in the Star Wars universe. I really want to be proven wrong though.

RAÏSanÏa

There were elements of each sequel that were great. Certain characters, scenes, moments. TLJ worked best for me. Holdo is my favourite new character and she better be in Andor. Agree with the sentiment regarding Rey Rey. Force lifts random nobody to end this arc and all the other reasons.

Top Bottom