• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Russian Revenant: Boxer in ‘grave condition’ after killing bear that mauled his friend to death

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Brown-bear-attack-preview-1.jpg

He won by TKO.

A decorated Russian boxer is in “grave condition” after fighting off and stabbing a bear to death after it killed his friend.

“I heard screams. They shouted: ‘A bear!’ ” eyewitness Denis Chebotar, 41, told East 2 West news of “The Revenant”-esque saga, which occurred near the Irtysh River in Siberia.

Professional boxer Ilya Medvedev, 23, was fishing with his friend Vyacheslav ‘Slava’ Dudnik, 48, when the two were attacked by the brown bear. The beast reportedly mauled Dudnik to death before proceeding to attack his younger pugilist pal.

Chebotar was reportedly fastening the team’s boat to the riverbank when he heard screams and shouts of “a bear,” which prompted the angler to rush into the forest to aid his buddies. He later heard gunshots.

Upon arriving at the scene, he “saw Slava dead” and Medvedev “finishing the bear off with a knife.”

brown-bear-attack02.jpg

The scene that had played out moments before was like an interspecies “Rocky” movie. Prior to Chebotar’s arrival, the boxer — who had participated in the Russian national championships and other national contests — had fired a total of four shots at the fierce critter. Despite sustaining several bullet wounds, the ferocious beast kept mauling the fighter, and even managed to knock the firearm out of his hand.

brown-bear-attack06.jpg

Left with no other recourse, Medvedev started “stabbing it with a knife,” recounted Chebotar. Finally, he managed to dispatch the predator, but suffered serious wounds during the struggle, East 2 West news reported.

Chebotar dragged the “barely alive” boxer to the boat and transported him to the hospital, where he is currently in intensive care with lacerations to the head and body, per reports from the Uvatsky district, in the Tyumen region.

brown-bear-attack08.jpg

Authorities have since launched an investigation into the incident.

This isn’t the first time someone has literally poked the bear — and come out on top. In 2018, a 78-year-old man from North Carolina survived a mama black bear attack by punching the animal in the nose. Meanwhile, a Colorado couple made waves online in 2019 after battling a 215-pound black bear in their kitchen with nothing but their hands and a baseball bat.

A) That dude is a certified bad mfer. Sadly, these guys would still be alive if they were strapped with something heftier, or possibly even had bear repellant (though in this case it seems the bear was rabid/wouldn't have cared/starving).

B) Hey FunkMiller FunkMiller (sorry, had to) - remember when you asked why I even carried a knife (much less a gun) in that one thread?

Yeah, we have brown bears where I live/hunt/fish. And they're the *nice* ones. This is in addition to mountain lions, wild hogs, venomous snakes, etc. Not everywhere is downtown London. ;)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why would bear just attack tho? Must have been provoked or she had kids already. Or at least I hope that bears don't attack out of fun. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Teslerum

Why would bear just attack tho? Must have been provoked or she had kids already. Or at least I hope that bears don't attack out of fun. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:
Not out of fun, but there are a variety of reasons why certain animals can attack. *Not provoking* (That's a vast category anyway) isn't a surefire way to get out of an encounter with a wild animal. It *just* drastically reduces the risk.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A) That dude is a certified bad mfer. Sadly, these guys would still be alive if they were strapped with something heftier, or possibly even had bear repellant (though in this case it seems the bear was rabid/wouldn't have cared/starving).

B) Hey FunkMiller FunkMiller (sorry, had to) - remember when you asked why I even carried a knife (much less a gun) in that one thread?

Yeah, we have brown bears where I live/hunt/fish. And they're the *nice* ones. This is in addition to mountain lions, wild hogs, venomous snakes, etc. Not everywhere is downtown London. ;)
They carry knives in London

MastaKiiLA

Pretty fucking gnarly event. Feel bad for the guy. Lost his friend, and got mauled half to death. Even if he has a nice story to tell, it's tragic.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Is this article wrong?

--

And yeah, Funk made it seem like carrying a knife made you some nutcase.... instead of a guy who needs to open things often, or have a ghetto screwdriver/plier. Lol.
usually, the people carrying knives in London like to get a bit stab happy
but this discussion has veered off course and talking about knife crime in London could go into politics which is a no no..

but in the main, those carrying knives usually carry them to cause harm or death and they carry them illegally.

Thisn is why a war with Russia would be futile. While US/UK men are arguing about pronouns, Russian Special Forces have already ripped out your spleen and given you a reacharound with it.

Last edited:
Thisn is why a war with Russia would be futile. While US/UK men are arguing about pronouns, Russian Special Forces have already ripped out your spleen and given you a reacharound with it.
No shit, fighting a wild beast is a REAL problem. Not getting butthurt over what someone said on the internet.

I don't mean to start a tangent, but I think we've lucked out in that it's really hard to argue about pronouns when your language is literally built around the concepts of "he/she/it", and calling someone an "it" is considered an insult.

Top Bottom