• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Scream" stolen at gunpoint from museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Crazy.

They can't possibly sell this to someone who would actually display it. I guess there are enough drug lords on mountain fortresses that there's a market, though. Still, very Hollywood.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Police should be on the lookout for a master thief who took one last score before retirement!

Rlan

o.o Wow, and such a famous painting too. It's up there with the Mona Lisa in terms of parodies based on it.

White Man

If I were there, I would've whipped a knife at the thief's heart, and he would've fallen to the ground while firing his gun in the air. It would've been cool.

GG-Duo

I don't know why, but i'm pretty angry about this.

what kind of douchebags would do something like that?

MIMIC

Banned
She stole it!!

nc2c4.jpg

Brannon

So you mean with all the diamond-edged glass cutters, infraread laser detectors, stealth-capable full body suits, McNeil descenders, portable parachutes, noisemaker arrows and the guiles of beautiful women as distractions, all it took was a GUN??

Hollywood, you SUCK.

Dilbert

Is it just me, or can anyone else picture the museum director -- upon being told about the successful heist -- putting his face in his hands, yelling "NOOOOOOO!" and making a face just like the painting?

thomaser

They've found the frames now. Thrown out of the escape-car, most likely. The car is also found. The museum is of course expecting a demand for money... but how they'll scrape together the necessary sum is beyond me. "Madonna" (which was also stolen) alone is valued at at least 20 million dollars, and "Scream" is way beyond that, probably double.

Drexon

Banned
White Man said:
If I were there, I would've whipped a knife at the thief's heart, and he would've fallen to the ground while firing his gun in the air. It would've been cool.
And then he would have hit one right between the eyes of the scream, now THAT would've been ironic. =)

These people are absolute morons, there is NO chance of ever being able to sell either of those paintings, they are far too famous. I give them 10 hours to get found out

Malakhov

Banned
Newbie said:
These people are absoloute morons, there is NO chance of ever being able to sell either of those paintings, they are far too fameous. I give them 10 hours to get found out
There's a lot of people with a lot of money that'd buy that painting to have it in their mansion.

thomaser

Here are pictures of the robbers as they run out of the museum:

1093199230.31734.jpg

1093197319.69078.jpg

This copy of "The Scream" isn't the only one in existence, though. There's another one at the National Gallery... and that one was stolen in 1994, incidentally, but was eventually found.

They actually dropped the paintings a couple of times as they ran... and they took them out of the frames, too. "The Scream" is painted on cardboard, so it's pretty fragile outside its frame. And the pictures aren't insured. Duh.

way more

White Man said:

Well spoken.

-jinx- said:
Is it just me, or can anyone else picture the museum director -- upon being told about the successful heist -- putting his face in his hands, yelling "NOOOOOOO!" and making a face just like the painting?

It's just you. Trust me.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
DJ Brannon said:
So you mean with all the diamond-edged glass cutters, infraread laser detectors, stealth-capable full body suits, McNeil descenders, portable parachutes, noisemaker arrows and the guiles of beautiful women as distractions, all it took was a GUN??

Hollywood, you SUCK.

:lol

So true.

Ryo

I can't believe that you can be so ignorant to have paintings of a value of close to $700mill hanging on the walls, and not have better security than this. Two punks with hoodies and a gun shouldn't be able to pull this off.

shoplifter

Slurpy said:
Morons? There are collectors who would pay considerable sums for that piece.

It's basically unsellable. There's too much in the way of people knowing it was stolen at this point.

It's uninsured because art galleries don't have the funds to insure things of such great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom