• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Settlers will officially release on March 17th

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Ubisoft has just announced that The Settlers will release on March 17th, 2022. In order to celebrate this announcement, the publisher released a new gameplay trailer that you can find below

unknown.png

The Settlers promises to bring back the best, modernized elements from previous The Settlers titles. The game aims to combine these elements with brand new features and gameplay systems.
The Settlers will combine a fresh take on the familiar gameplay mechanics of the series with new features like a new food system and a motivational meta-game to create a unique game experience.
Players will be able to play the campaign and optional side missions in solo or co-op modes.

The game will be using the Snowdrop Engine, and will also offer various online multiplayer modes. According to Ubisoft, the game will also have emotional storylines.
Players will watch as thousands of settlers live their lives and complete their daily work.
Lastly, Ubisoft will launch a Closed Beta on January 20th. This beta phase will last until January 24th, and you can register for it via its official website.

Last edited:

amigastar

I heard it was streamlined too much and sucks. Also the flow of the game is slow and boring.

Last edited:

Allandor

And Ubisoft seem to have nailed it ... into a coffin

from the beta-test (from a german game magazine):

Ubisoft seem to have destroyed every aspect that differentiated settlers from other RTS games. And it is not even a game that is fun to play.

Wait so this is a remake of the first?
Not really. It is a complete reboot. It plays quite different and was "streamlined" to be more a "normal" RTS game.
Really the series wasn't good for many entries but what they now do is take all the bad ideas they had for the series in the last x entries and put them all together into one game.

btw, forget old videos about the game, they completely changed the direction in the last year and stripped out almost everyting.
But hey... roads are back (one of the features I really liked in the past) but they are ... well... useless if a farm does only need the field it stands on

Last edited:

Xane

Lmao what a nerd. True chads were playing Starcraft, Commandos and The Settlers 2. :messenger_sunglasses:

And man, do I loved the game, specially how it looked.

settlers-ii_1.jpg

Kinda reminds me of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 in the sense that their visuals haven't aged a single bit.
This post speaks to me on so many levels.

Sadly, the new Settlers looks nothing like it. It's like it got its soul sucked out entirely and what's left is just a generic shell of an RTS. :< sad.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Ubisoft seem to have destroyed every aspect that differentiated settlers from other RTS games. And it is not even a game that is fun to play.

Not really. It is a complete reboot. It plays quite different and was "streamlined" to be more a "normal" RTS game.
Really the series wasn't good for many entries but what they now do is take all the bad ideas they had for the series in the last x entries and put them all together into one game.

btw, forget old videos about the game, they completely changed the direction in the last year and stripped out almost everyting.
But hey... roads are back (one of the features I really liked in the past) but they are ... well... useless if a farm does only need the field it stands on

I was afraid of this, I saw the video and most of it looked quite good, but then at the end when they showed hundreds of soldiers... was like oh.... so its just a regular RTS now...

I was wavering, I haven't bought an ubisoft title for almost half a decade now because of how shit they are... but man this is one of my favorite old series, thank god Ubisoft continued there track record of ruining everything they touch.

Kadve

I was afraid of this, I saw the video and most of it looked quite good, but then at the end when they showed hundreds of soldiers... was like oh.... so its just a regular RTS now...

I was wavering, I haven't bought an ubisoft title for almost half a decade now because of how shit they are... but man this is one of my favorite old series, thank god Ubisoft continued there track record of ruining everything they touch.
Its almost as if Blue Byte forgot that last time they turned settlers into a RTS its when it became shit.

Settlers_V_Heritage.jpg

I mean, it looked great and played decently. But it felt more like an Age Of Empires game rather than The settlers.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Its almost as if Blue Byte forgot that last time they turned settlers into a RTS its when it became shit.

Settlers_V_Heritage.jpg

I mean, it looked great and played decently. But it felt more like an Age Of Empires game rather than The settlers.

It's brave of them to release right after Age of Empites IV released and is competent enough... like who does that?

SJRB

Gold Member

Holy shit, this looks terrible. Dumbed down mechanics, fewer buildings, poor graphics, soulless visual style, mobile UI.

Fucking Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Holy shit, this looks terrible. Dumbed down mechanics, fewer buildings, poor graphics, soulless visual style, mobile UI.

Fucking Ubisoft.
They are the same company that managed to make Heroes of Might & Magic rot in basement after two fucking awful installments, after all.

Futaleufu

Settlers 2 and its 3D remake released in the mid 00s were amazing games.

Too bad Ubisoft decided to not release their games on Steam.

This post speaks to me on so many levels.

Sadly, the new Settlers looks nothing like it. It's like it got its soul sucked out entirely and what's left is just a generic shell of an RTS. :< sad.

Absolutely this.

Settlers 1 and 2 had so much charm. I played the most recent one and couldn't even stomach it for more than a couple of hours. Just a soulless husk of its former glory.

This is what happens when you wring the life out of an IP.

Top Bottom