• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The shield tv one of the best mini console devices ever?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
*I do not condone piracy. If you own the game or some games are in public domain those are other things all together.

I came across this video:

Compared to the nes mini, snes mini, sega mini, turbographix mini, etc etc., This machine wipes it's ass with all all of those. This little beast even runs some ps2 and gamecube emulation. I am really shocked I do not hear more hype for this device considering how long its been out. Right now I see used ones around $100 and you can pair your dualshock or xbox controller to it. Again if you own the game is not illegal to download a game and play it. In fact, some games especially mame games you cannot play legit because the physical machines simply no longer exists. I may think the shield tv maybe the goat of mini consoles.

GHG

Gold Member
It only really works well as a companion device to a main PC in the same home provided you can get them both wired up to the same router.

Apart from that it's not so great as a "console".

YCoCg

From a pure emulation stand point, the Xbox Series S is the better option these days, yeah it's not a "mini" but it's pretty damn small compared to the rest out there.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Series X & S are better for those purposes.

James Franco Flirt GIF

Quasicat

Gaming works well, but I mainly use it as my dedicated Plex server. We literally use it everyday and in most cases run concurrent streams at the same time! It’s a pretty powerful system!

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Gaming works well, but I mainly use it as my dedicated Plex server. We literally use it everyday and in most cases run concurrent streams at the same time! It’s a pretty powerful system!

Yep, at this point I'd say it's a better media box than console considering what else is available. Really capable device in that sense.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I have one and still prefer the psx mini + retro boot. Though it’s kind of funny that I just the same games it came with back on it to play them better. 😂

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Pre-Series S is was the best damn mini/emulation/media box money can by

Doesn't it use Maxwell? I wouldn't buy it these days tho Maxwell is pretty old a successor done right would be a day one purchase

Last edited:

Quasicat

Pre-Series S is was the best damn mini/emulation/media box money can by

Doesn't it use Maxwell? I wouldn't buy it these days tho Maxwell is pretty old a successor done right would be a day one purchase
If I could get Plex it to run the media server on a Series S, even in developer mode, I would jump on that immediately as the Shield TV I’m running on is five years old at this point. The problem is, as a media player the Series S is awesome, but I need the Media Server component.

Fahdis

It is literally the best thing ever. They need to release new versions every 2-3 years or so. My Shield TV serves as a Cloud Console, An Arcade Console, Media Server, Streaming Haven and looks like a Dildo to impress everyone. What more can one need?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I got the first model Shield back in like 2016... And I've been using it ever since. Not only is it a beast of an emulation machine, it's also a damn fine 4K Android TV device.

Drew1440

Mines my go to emulation system, also does a good job playing Android TV games, I believe nvidia even ported a handful of games to it like Half Life 2.
Then you have GTA Liberty City Stories which is the best port, performance wise.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If I could get Plex it to run the media server on a Series S, even in developer mode, I would jump on that immediately as the Shield TV I’m running on is five years old at this point. The problem is, as a media player the Series S is awesome, but I need the Media Server component.

Not sure about dev mode since I keep my xbox systems retail but I use universalmediaserver
works right inside the xbox movies & tv app I find Plex cumbersome and it does a poor job of handling subtitles

Quasicat

Not sure about dev mode since I keep my xbox systems retail but I use universalmediaserver
works right inside the xbox movies & tv app I find Plex cumbersome and it does a poor job of handling subtitles
Plex did have a huge learning curve when first setting it up, and subtitles are something I have never needed to use. For me, it’s great when you have kids. They each have their own account and I have an app on my phone called Plex Dash which shows me every bit of activity going on at any given time. This makes it easy to keep the kids honest when they are watching stuff in their room and it’s after their bedtime. 😉

Quasicat

The stand alone emulators work better on it than Retroarch. That being said, I’m waiting for the next revision, probably connected to the next Nintendo Switch chip upgrade, to see how much better they can get Dolphin to run.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Geforce now is also highly underated. Best streaming service available!

Crayon

I'm actually lookin at that atari vcs. I've been asking for a laptop stuffed in a cute box for a minute and you can get them for as low as $200 if you look. Actually, the big box with the controllers can be had all day for under $250. That's pretty goot for a ryzen mini pc and who doesn't love the style. It might be the best looking console. Only problem is that I have no justifiable use for it. I suppose I could replace out desktop, but the one we have works fine so that's just burning money.

Shakka43

I rarely use mine for gaming these days, but it is still my most used device for entertainment. Movies, TV Shows, Music, Sports... All runs through my Shield TV.

Top Bottom