• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill thread.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh wow? I wasn't planning to sell but that's good to know.
The only downside is that the box and manuals are in Italian. (would've preferred to have it in French or English)

It's a rare piece, I'd say keep a hold.

If not mistaken, the version of SH2 you have in there is not the one which comes with Born from a Wish, just the base game, right ?

adamsapple

vzky6.png

SH3 art is still real good.

Last edited:

Krathoon

They need a Silent Hill where you destroy the cult. Maybe that happens in Homecoming. I don't know.
It did kind of sound like it could go in that direction.

Krathoon

Yeah. The textures in SH3 are great. Not so much in SH4. Not certain what happened.

The textures in the apartment are pretty crappy.

Last edited:

Krathoon

PCSX2 automatically updates now. Excellent. They also fixed the SH3 FMV problem. Great.
This latest version really improved things. There is a little glitch before the intro video, but that is not significant.

Krathoon

I played some Silent Hill: Homecoming. It feels like a Silent Hill. The town of Shepherd's Glen is kind of small. There are not any houses except one.
People complain about Pyramid head being used, but he carries out punishment like he always does.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I played some Silent Hill: Homecoming. It feels like a Silent Hill.
My condolences.

People complain about Pyramid head being used, but he carries out punishment like he always does.
They complain because his inclusion is senseless as he is personal to James in SH2. Same with the movies. They treat him like some sort of main antagonist, a mascot, that needs to be in everything.
They could've just made their own punisher like the Butcher in Origins (which would be still lazy, but much better), or give an explanation how the executioners (that wear the same outfit as Pyramid Head) are tied to the cult. Instead they put in Pyramid Head as fan service and make him show up like twice. It's cheap, unnecessary and senseless.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamsapple

Funny that we're talking about homecoming right now, I also started it last night with the PC patch that fixes most of the issues. Even in the first 10 minutes, the game feels completely soulless compared to the first three, even the fourth one, the fogging and the environments look like they're out of the early 360 and ps3, and by that I mean that they look really bland and uninteresting. There is no charm to the world, it just looks ... Boring.

Damn shame downpour never got a PC release and that it's off of Xbox.com, I am not interested in paying a premium price to secure a copy for Xbox.

PS, both Pyramid Head and the busty nurses have no place in the game, those two things were specifically tailor made for James by the town, Alex has nothing in his memory or psyche that would lead the town to create those two things for him.

Last edited:

killatopak

I just wanna ask here if anybody has a preference for the ability to choose how difficult the puzzles are in the game?

I think it’s brilliant and I wish every horror game has that option. Not only does it cater to my relatively dumb mind in the first playthrough, but it also adds replay value when I decide to do another playthrough and take a shot at harder puzzles.

adamsapple

I just wanna ask here if anybody has a preference for the ability to choose how difficult the puzzles are in the game?

I think it’s brilliant and I wish every horror game has that option. Not only does it cater to my relatively dumb mind in the first playthrough, but it also adds replay value when I decide to do another playthrough and take a shot at harder puzzles.
Choices are always great.

I appreciated the game letting you choose. I tried the SH 3 Shakespeare puzzle on the hard difficulty once. Never again :messenger_grinning_sweat:

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
PS, both Pyramid Head and the busty nurses have no place in the game, those two things were specifically tailor made for James by the town, Alex has nothing in his memory or psyche that would lead the town to create those two things for him.
if they at least thoroughly explained the appearance with the plot. according to SH2 Pyramid Head is modeled after the town's executioners. why not create a full back story about the executioners in relation to the cult then? Given that Pyramid Head is only for James, it would've been the logical thing to do, and if they cared about the series, they would've done something like this...
instead Pyramid Head is the "bogeyman". a cheap excuse. they shoehorned Pyramid Head in without rhyme or reason, treating him like a mascot. it's like homecoming is modeled after the movie instead of the games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krathoon

Eh. I do find Homecoming interesting.
Downpour is has some neat ideas too.
Still, the first four games are more disturbing. There is a more visceral quality to them.
I have seen some cutscenes of Downpour and I am curious to where it goes.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. I do find Homecoming interesting.
...but what exactly is interesting about Homecoming? It's so creatively bankrupt and generic. I don't see it.
Downpour I can see how the devs tried to move the series forward with a lot of interesting ideas... but Homecoming? Uhu.

ParaSeoul

I never tried the other puzzle difficulties, what do they change?

Krathoon

For some reason, I always forget that Silent Hill really leans on the puzzles. Not quite as much as The 7th Guest.
Imagine if they did one like that. Have a character taunting you throughout the game.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I always find it funny how monsters are running around in Shepard's Glen and Silent Hill and people don't totally acknowledge it. It is like that in most of the games. People are just hanging out.

SeraphJan

Just play all of them on PCSX2 with correct setting it looks like PS3 game.

SH2 on PC is not how the game was intended to be played, for instance - able to save anywhere kills the immersion, there literally no consequences for bad decisions

BTW for those that think SH1 > SH2, you are clearly smoking, SH2 > everything else, end of story.

Origins is also an underrated masterpiece.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Just play all of them on PCSX2 with correct setting it looks like PS3 game.

SH2 on PC is not how the game was intended to be played, for instance - able to save anywhere kills the immersion, there literally no consequences for bad decisions

BTW for those think SH1 > SH2, you are clearly smoking, SH > everything else, end of story.

Origins is also an underrated masterpiece.

I mean, you can savestate anywhere on PCSX2 as well :p

Krathoon

Then, Alex just leaves his catatonic mother alone in the house after he killed a monster in the basement. I already heard there is a twist involving that.

adamsapple

Then, Alex just leaves his catatonic mother alone in the house after he killed a monster in the basement. I already heard there is a twist involving that.

Is this the first time you're playing SH Homecoming ? The mother will come into play later.

Can't you just use the save points too on the PC version of SH2. I thought they are still in there.

Yes, traditional save points are there but you can save anywhere (in most places) from the options menu.

MacReady13

I remember the demo of Silent Hill. That alone was enough for me to see this was going to be a masterpiece of the horror genre.

I loved the Resident Evil games on my PS1. They were brilliant fun but Silent Hill on PS1 had a completely different feel. Somehow it got into your head. The graphics were quite surreal for its time. They used the fog brilliantly to disguise the PS1 limitations. The colour palette was suitably bland without it being awful to look at. It all just suited the atmosphere of the game.

The voice acting was awful yet somehow, it made the game creepier.

The sounds and the music- top tier stuff. It was the 1st time I was ever compelled to go out and find a soundtrack for a game! I've always been a big believer that if the music/sounds are on point, you can create the precise atmosphere you need to make people laugh, cry or shit themselves. This game is pure perfection in that area.

Then we get to the story. The FUCK is going on? The weird characters. The swapping between Silent Hill worlds. The cult aspect (I love a story about crazy religious cults)! This game just had it all.

I will admit, I was so excited for Silent Hill 2. I wanted to be scared all over again and I purchased it on my PS2. Where were the scares? It was so different to the original that my initial impression was 1 of disappointment. It didn't really scare me. I then played it again and read up on the meanings of each character and suddenly I saw the game in a different light. Brilliant game.

I still feel that the original is the better game as it is a far scarier game but the psychological aspects of part 2 are pure genius. Silent Hill 2 stands the test of time not only in terms of story telling (it really doesn't tell you anything and lets you figure it out) but graphics and sound are fantastic.

I played yet never finished part 3, although it is a very scary game. I do have the shithouse 360 compilation of part 2 and 3 so I might get around to finally completing part 3 soon.

When people ask what is the scariest GAME I've ever played, I normally say P.T. but that was a demo. So in terms of scariest FULL games, I always say Silent Hill. It scared me so much as a teenager that as soon as it got darker outside, I turned the game off! I remember 1 time playing it and wanting to go outside for a run. I lived in a normal suburban area in Melbourne. So houses all around with trees in some front yards. I got so scared 1 evening after playing Silent Hill that I avoided running near trees and stayed in the middle of the road! the fear of Silent Hill was greater than potentially getting hit by a car!

I really hope that if the rumours are true of a Silent Hill remake, they do the original (or part 2) justice. Those games had a certain feel. A certain atmosphere. Leave the music and sound to Akira Yamaoka. He is the GOAT when it comes to creepy sounds/music and no one else really comes close (maybe Aubrey Hodges is 2nd)!

Krathoon

The story to Silent Hill 1 is pretty vague. It is mysterious cult magic. It is meant for you to go, "WTF?". The movie, Hereditary, is similar.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Silent Hill 1 is one of those games where you need a guide to fully understand the story. In that sense other games in the series are more straight forward and less cryptic. Once you understand the story though it is great.

Krathoon

P.T.'s puzzle is so obtuse. It is a puzzle that is meant to be solved by trial and error and the internet.

Last edited:

MacReady13

The story to Silent Hill 1 is pretty vague. It is mysterious cult magic. It is meant for you to go, "WTF?". The movie, Hereditary, is similar.
To be honest with you, I always thought that, in terms of sounds and atmosphere, the really good Richard Gere film The Mothman Prophecies was closest to what I thought a Silent Hill film would and should FEEL like on the big screen. Mysterious characters. Time loops and general creepiness. Just that overall tone of the film always reminded me of Silent Hill.

kunonabi

To be honest with you, I always thought that, in terms of sounds and atmosphere, the really good Richard Gere film The Mothman Prophecies was closest to what I thought a Silent Hill film would and should FEEL like on the big screen. Mysterious characters. Time loops and general creepiness. Just that overall tone of the film always reminded me of Silent Hill.
Yeah, I felt the same when I saw it. Great little flick.

Krathoon

That is a particular kind of horror. Not knowing what is going on.
There was a story on Creepshow about this moss growing on everything that is like that.
There is also this one on Creepshow 2 about a lake.

Last edited:

solidus12

I just need Silent Hill 1 and Downpour to complete my collection:

I already have:
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Homecoming
P.T

Also, is there a way to play silent hill 1 with the DualShock analog sticks? Or can it only be played with tank controls?

Krathoon

I just need Silent Hill 1 and Downpour to complete my collection:

I already have:
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Homecoming
P.T

Also, is there a way to play silent hill 1 with the DualShock analog sticks? Or can it only be played with tank controls?
I am pretty sure you can use analog. I played it some in an emulator recently.
They stopped selling Downpour on the XBox store. You will have to find a physical copy.

solidus12

I don’t use Xbox. I’m looking for a PS3 copy. Found one for like 6 bucks but wasn’t fast enough to secure it…

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Silent Hill Recreation in Unreal Engine 5 Exclusively by TeaserPlay, a Dream that we Hope will Come True

in this video we are going to imagine Silent Hill (1999), the game is probably being developed by Konami for PS5 and will be Announcing soon

we used Lumen for rendering this and placed the camera on a close third person and tried to bring the deep and horrific atmosphere of the original game into Unreal Engine, we also used an unusual editing to induce a classic nightmare feeling, we hope you enjoy the result.

I always thought that was to the benefit of the game and the horror. Everything is kind of hazy, blurry, indistinct... it's like the vague impression of a story that you might experience in a dream. Altogether it's unsettling in a way that later games didn't capture.

Also the worst SH game is obviously Downpour. Fuck that game. Homecoming was bad but the game wasn't actively painful to play. Downpour is a slog and has by far the worst enemy design of the series... man it would be bad in a game like The Suffering let alone Silent Hill.

(The police car that summons monsters when it sees you is funny tho)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Homecoming was bad but the game wasn't actively painful to play.
Disagree. Homecoming's fighting is annoying and there are way too many fights. Not to mention the QTEs. Downpour plays better, aside from the fighting being super janky, but Homecoming's fighting doesn't exactly play like a dream either. It's a situation where you have to pick your poison. Janky or annoying. I go with janky. As for the monsters. Yeah, Downpour has some very unimaginative monsters (also not an aspect, where Homecoming shines. Sexy nurses have no place being in the game, that's just cheap fan service, and the others aren't exactly creative either. The only exception are the bosses, but given how annoying the fighting is you wish they were in another game), but creatively, it otherwise runs circles around Homecoming.

Top Bottom