• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill thread.

I love the first 3 games and played then multiple times since they came out. I think Silent Hill 1 is the game that pulled me over to PlayStation, before that I only had Nintendo consoles starting with the NES and Gameboy.

I replayed 2 and 3 this year again thanks to the mods of the PC version which makes PC the best way to replay 2. Of course I like 2 much more than 3, because 3 is too action based at parts and I really hated they way they present Harry from the first habe, there is just no way that he is defeated so easily.

The think is, I Love the first one, perhaps even more than 2, but it’s the hardest to go back to because of it’s outdated graphics and mechanics.

So I do not understand the decision to remake 2, since it still can be played and enjoyed the same way as back then, but 1 is in urgent need of a remake.

Krathoon

The fight on the merry go round is creepy as hell. It is also technically impressive. Sometimes she is riding one of the horses and pops up out of nowhere.

Don't lose hope just yet...

Dan Allen Gaming may have exposed himself as a fraud by taken the piss out of us Silent Hill fans, but we have other, semi-reliable fans like Dusk Golem to keep us informed. His updates have been way more interesting, and even if the game isn't announced any day soon, at least Dusk has a reputation in the survival horror community for being accurate in the past.

Perhaps, the game could be revealed at the Game Awards this year. If not, well, other horror games do exist. It will happen or it won't.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Silent Hill Origins is pretty good from what I remember; it's a prequel to the first one.
I remeber being very impressed with it considering it was on PSP.

I just bought Silent Homecoming on PS3, need to try it out.

I only remember carrying 20 portable television sets in my jacket and tossing them at monsters.

Last edited:

tmlDan

The 4Th Awakens Sharknado 4 GIF by SYFY

See, I tried to tell people that Dusk Golem was legit. So many people have previously doubted the dude, sadly. But once again, his story has checked out.

A while ago, he said he knew of a game where you could receive text messages. Didn't he also get a DMCA takedown notice from Konami? And here we go.

Dan Allen Gaming, eat your heart out. :)

See, I tried to tell people that Dusk Golem was legit. So many people have previously doubted the dude, sadly. But once again, his story has checked out.

A while ago, he said he knew of a game where you could receive text messages. Didn't he also get a DMCA takedown notice from Konami? And here we go.

I agree that today was a win. But, why are people so eager to debonk? Or say that its probably just booger team?

For what it's worth, Dusk Golem was also correct about Resident Evil Village.

Like, I recall him leaking all of this stuff, and this was about 5 to 6 months before it got announced at E3 a few years ago. So we're talking January of 2020.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For what it's worth, Dusk Golem was also correct about Resident Evil Village.

Like, I recall him leaking all of this stuff, and this was about 5 to 6 months before it got announced at E3 a few years ago. So we're talking January of 2020.

That's not what people took issue with, with him.

It was his made up bullshit that time in the console wars against Sony, "to level the playing field" due to MS getting some bad press that week.

It's reckless for an "insider" to do. Just let shit play out as is, no need for FUD.

I still have my original PS2 copies in excellent condition. I mean, you ought to see what someone on eBay would be charging for a sealed copy. The same with any old games, really.

Well, I really hope they don't half-ass the game, just because they know that fans may take anything at this point.

I don't think they would have the cheek to do that per se, but until I see more, I don't want to get too excited. It could end up being an 'in name only' kind of experience. And it would be disappointing.

However, people have already said that a Team Silent-less game would probably not be able to meet the expectations of fans. So I do not expect much.

After all these years, I would have rather had a *NEW* game. Remakes are not really "new" games, as such. They just take a game's old ass story, and rework it for the modern fans, and I doubt some folk even care for the PS2 era anyway.

This is also what Hollywood seems to be daft on these days. But I find it's uninspiring.

After all these years, I would have rather had a *NEW* game. Remakes are not really "new" games, as such. They just take a game's old ass story, and rework it for the modern fans, and I doubt some folk even care for the PS2 era anyway.

This is also what Hollywood seems to be daft on these days. But I find it's uninspiring.
Maybe Silent Hill: The Short Message is the new game, and hasn’t been announced yet.

I think it's funny how Konami took this long to revive the series. It shows they didn't care for gaming for a while.

In Silent Hill, anybody can end up there. This has been proven.

We have had 10 years with no new games, and we could have had some low key sequels with different protagonists, as they had been doing already after the Team Silent era ended. Just as long as we got some annual love for the series, I wouldn't have minded the quality being like Downpour. Decent, but not perfect. That way we could have maybe gotten a varied amount of games. All of which I couldn't see being absolutely terrible, provided the care was there.

I don't think the series was ever intended to be as commercial as RE is, and RE outranked it by millions of units from the jump. Yet the two horror series always got compared, as if there was some rivalry at the helm between Capcom and Konami.

There really wasn't.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Let's take a look at the western output of Silent Hill, and the future of the Silent Hill series.

Remember that timeframe in the late 2000s to early 2010s when Japanese studios were pushing hard to appeal to the west?

Some studios tried to make their games more western friendly. Some shipped their IPs off to western studios for development.

What did we end up with? A miserable pile of disappointments. Franchises losing their way.

Besides Nintendo who sent some of their IPs out west like Metroid, I can't think of a Japanese company that found success with this approach long-term.

Konami and the Silent Hill series is one of the more notable examples of a franchise losing its way during this time.

Unproven studios were given the keys to a franchise that was tough to handle. Konami making all kinds of questionable decisions about the direction of the series.

There were exceptions in this western run of Silent Hill titles, but the overall output fell well short of what Team Silent Hill was able to achieve.

And all these years later - Konami is doing it again. Shipping the IP out to western developers with one exception, and a remake of Silent Hill 2.

They dropped the ball almost a decade back when Hideo Kojima was given the chance to take the series in a new direction.

In this video, we'll take a look back on the western Silent Hill titles. We'll also take a look at the upcoming titles that Konami announced for the series in October of 2022.

For this video, I will cover Silent Hill: Origins, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Silent Hill: Orphan, and Silent Hill: Downpour.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Prelude
02:24 - Silent Hill: Origins
17:23 - Silent Hill: Homecoming
33:12 - Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
50:59 - The Case of Tomm Hulett
55:03 - Silent Hill: Downpour
01:15:51 - Silent Hill: Orphan
01:17:00 - The Future of the Silent Hill Series

Homecoming, I feel I have already voiced my displeasure for. It's absolutely rank. The combat is especially atrocious. The story on the other hand, I believe is okay. I guess people view it as more of a spin off. But it's definitely not bad, story-wise. Some parts of the game are genuinely creepy as well, like the beginning when you are in the ward.

Downpour, I think without the side quests and whatnot, is a strictly so-so game. There's actually only one boss fight. And I mean, I don't think it's the worst game ever made, even if it is moderately basic. It still has a gripping story, with some taboo themes to it. But the combat, again, kind of sucks.

Origins is about the only non Team Silent game that's reminiscent of the older games, giving that it has fixed camera angles and the same weak-feeling combat to it. By that point in survival horror's lifespan, the genre had mostly shifted over to over the shoulder, third person, action stuff. So this was a sigh of relief for those who pined for that classic style.

I really don't care for any of the other spin off games, and the first movie is very good, but the sequel just quickly puts me to sleep. It's dull.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I still wanna know what that Japanese game really has to do with Silent Hill. I also prefer to have a more contemporary setting. I mean, prequels can be good, but it's really about going forward in my eyes.

Unless this can go right into the mythology. I wouldn't mind learning about how the town came to be in the first place. Didn't it have something to do with miners?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to prominent leaker Dusk Golem, the four official Silent Hill announcements aren't all that Konami has planned for the horror franchise. DuskGolem shared that there are "at least three Silent Hill projects" currently in development that have yet to be announced.

Dusk Golem's three Silent Hill project do not include The Short Message, it should be clarified. The four confirmed Silent Hill games, one leaked project in Silent Hill: The Short Message, and three as-yet-unannounced Silent Hill games makes eight Silent Hill projects in various states of development right now.

According to prominent leaker Dusk Golem, the four official Silent Hill announcements aren't all that Konami has planned for the horror franchise. DuskGolem shared that there are "at least three Silent Hill projects" currently in development that have yet to be announced.

Dusk Golem's three Silent Hill project do not include The Short Message, it should be clarified. The four confirmed Silent Hill games, one leaked project in Silent Hill: The Short Message, and three as-yet-unannounced Silent Hill games makes eight Silent Hill projects in various states of development right now.
Has the Sony-developed game already been announced?

Top Bottom