• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Snowman (1982)

pauljeremiah

Gold Member

The Snowman is an animated television film and Symphonic Poem based on Raymond Briggs' 1978 picture book The Snowman. It was directed by Dianne Jackson for the British public service Channel 4. It was first shown on 26 December 1982 and was an immediate success. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film and won a BAFTA TV Award.

The story is told through pictures, action and music, scored by Howard Blake, and is wordless, with the exception of the central song "Walking in the Air". The orchestral score was performed in the film by the Sinfonia of London and the song was performed by Peter Auty, a St Paul's Cathedral choirboy.

Since I was born in 1982, I remember watching the repeats of it in the late '80s. The repeats had a new introduction which starred David Bowie.

So because the short film has become so synonymous with Christmas that even the Irish postal service has their annual Christmas advert done in the style of the short film.

The reason I bring this up is that this morning I was browsing through Twitter and came across this post by David Bowie's son Duncan Jones.

qFXr5Cw.jpg

EI6VgbC.jpg

yxhdli4.jpg

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The legacy lives on. I never watched the Snowdog, which I probably should.
Watched it after...

VERY Major Spoilers

Our family dog had to be put to sleep a couple of days before the premiere and at the beginning of this the dog dies in the cartoon too.

Cried for hours.

Last edited:

Turnstyle

Watched it after...

VERY Major Spoilers

Our family dog had to be put to sleep a couple of days before the premiere and at the beginning of this the dog dies in the cartoon too.

Cried for hours.
My parents gave us the book for our kids one year. Sat them down to read it on Christmas Eve, and then BAM, crying kids.

Thanks Granny and Grandad! Merry Christmas!

Top Bottom