• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of Half Life after Portal comes back from dead.

Been playing and enjoying the great port of portal on the switch (Portal Companion Collection) and loving every minute of it. The game is silky smooth and looks great on handheld. That being said it got me thinking about Half Life, next year is the 25th anniversary of the original, released November 19, 1998. Has anyone heard anything about any remasters, collections or re-releases?

Portal plays so good on the switch, why not re-release a full collection or remaster? Why no orange box upgrade for modern times? It would make a lot of money and make so many fans ever greatful. I'd love to see a half life resurgance, remasters of the orange bi, for the 25th anniversary, a big half life celebration and (I can dream), hinting of a half life 3.

It really irks me as valve is flush with cash and employees, but they aren't doing anything really outside of steam and I presume making dumb hats that no one cares about. Why is Gaben so against Gordon freeman? I know we got the alyx side project vr game, but they old games that deserve to be played by new gamers, and old timers who want to revisit lost friends.

I get it, we won't be getting half life 3, in my lifetime, probably(big middle finger to Newell on that one), but why not re-release or remaster the old games? I guess now it won't ever happen as they will just say to buy steam deck, but if that was the case we wouldn't of gotten the portal remake.

What are your opinons on the state of Half Life 1/2, or the portal remaster. Will gamers ever get some Freeman love or is the series and everything about it pushed aside for hats and multiplayer forever? Will Black Mesa come to consoles? Yeah thses games are on my steam collection but double dipping on switch, ps5/xsx, would be a no brainer.

Last edited:

Tangerine

I'd love to see all of half life 2 and it's two add on's as a trilogy for the switch.

It would sell very well.

Stanley parable and portal 1 and 2.

There's hope! Especially if people actually buy portal 1 and 2.

Moses85

Alyx is phenomenal, and after all this time, it shocked me Valve still has the goods.
85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Give us a PSVR2 Version of HL Alyx

I'd love to see all of half life 2 and it's two add on's as a trilogy for the switch.

It would sell very well.

Stanley parable and portal 1 and 2.

There's hope! Especially if people actually buy portal 1 and 2.
Stanley parable? Is that related to half life? If so I need to go get it. Never played it.

Alyx is phenomenal, and after all this time, it shocked me Valve still has the goods.
I need to get back to it and finish it. How long is the game?

Having glasses and motion sickness limits my vr time. Last time I got sick playing re4 on quest 2 and haven't touched it since.

I actually enjoyed playing the source port of Half Life 1 on quest vr and even have it on my ps classic

Tangerine

Stanley parable? Is that related to half life? If so I need to go get it. Never played it.
"Originally, The Stanley Parable was a mod for Half-Life 2 that was released in 2011 before it went on to become its own thing. With the deluxe edition due out this month, this nearly decade-old title has gone down as one of the best video games where player decisions truly mean something."

It's using the same engine but I don't think it's related. It's a game I still need to play...but I hear it's brilliant, especially this new version that released recently. Unique and clever narration and mind games.

Crayon

They could brush up and repackage the old games, sure. The old menus are a little shitty. Otherwise though, you can get the games on steam for real real cheap and run them on any computer on any operating system. There's not anything that needs (really needs) updating in the gameplay, either. They are incredibly accessible and stable.

They could release them on console for free money but that seems to be not totally reliable when it comes to motivating valve.

"Originally, The Stanley Parable was a mod for Half-Life 2 that was released in 2011 before it went on to become its own thing. With the deluxe edition due out this month, this nearly decade-old title has gone down as one of the best video games where player decisions truly mean something."

It's using the same engine but I don't think it's related. It's a game I still need to play...but I hear it's brilliant, especially this new version that released recently. Unique and clever narration and mind games.
I only played the original mod version (I think that was free). It was really cool and left an impression as a thought experiment about compliance.

Really worth the time!

Top Bottom