• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State Of The PS4, Nintendo Switch and Xbox In 2018 by Kotaku.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://kotaku.com/the-state-of-the-ps4-in-2018-1831042509

The PlayStation 4 remains a top-flight gaming platform as it wraps up its fifth year and enters a 2019 sure to be full of PS5 rumors, interesting exclusive games, and the possible launch of the most-requested feature in PlayStation Network history.

The PS4’s strong 2018 was highlighted by top-quality blockbusters God of War and Marvel’s Spider-Man. It looked even better in comparison to Xbox One, which had an unusually low number of exclusive games, keeping Sony-only console owners’ envy mostly in check (no regularly-expanded co-op pirate game and no cool open-world racing game for you, Sony folks).

The year also clarified the new status quo for PlayStation ownership. Sony publishes exclusive blockbusters for the PS4, but most of its smaller and intriguingly creative efforts wind up being offered for the PS4’s two subsections of games: PlayStation VR, which requires an expensive headset, or the phone-supported PlayLink line-up.

In its success, Sony has shown signs of complacency, offering nothing as radical as the Netflix-style all-you-can-play Xbox Game Pass and only being dragged belatedly to support cross-platform play for modern games (yes, yes, they did it long ago with PlayStation-and-PC crossplay for online Final Fantasy games). What Sony has going for it now works pretty well, of course, and it’d be hard to find a PS4 owner unhappy about their 2018 or skeptical about the chances of 2019 to be even better.

https://kotaku.com/the-state-of-xbox-one-in-2018-1831013366

In sports they call it a rebuilding year. Xbox One has had a few of those recently, but it’s an especially appropriate description of the console’s 2018. This wasn’t a year for new hardware nor a major blockbuster exclusive game. The most exciting announcement to come out of Microsoft was the news that it is acquiring game studios and setting itself up for many more exclusive games in the years to come.

“We had a pretty good year. We could do better—but we had a pretty good year,” Xbox boss Phil Spencer said last week at The Game Awards, before acknowledging some of the platform’s success. It’s a humble time for Xbox, which did manage to have a year marked by cool improvements, interesting experiments, and a steady stream of good multiplayer games.

Check the links for more.

Thanks mods for the title change:messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But its Kotaku.

I guess PS Now doesnt count towards:

In its success, Sony has shown signs of complacency, offering nothing as radical as the Netflix-style all-you-can-play Xbox Game Pass

mckmas8808

Banned
and only being dragged belatedly to support cross-platform play for modern games (yes, yes, they did it long ago with PlayStation-and-PC crossplay for online Final Fantasy games)

And this part is stupid too. Kotaku makes it seem as if PS4 -> PC crossplay only exist for Final Fantasy online games. It's a blatant lie.

If you call your piece "The state of Ps4/XboxOne in 2018" you should at least try to accurately inform readers about the state these consoles are in.
But this is an opinion piece completely ignoring the state these consoles are in.

Like, yeah, you might not be too hot on God Of War and Spider-Man, but they are two of the most critically acclaimed games of the year and both broke sales records left and right.

ethomaz

Banned
The PS4 side is really funny lol

God of War, Spider-Man, Shadow of Colossus, Detroit, Astro Bot, etc are all kind of samey :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well that is some way to downplay one of the PS4 best year.

Last edited:
Kotaku seems to not feel that strongly about VR and PSVR in general by reading that. Thats too bad as Sony has had some big successes with PSVR vs. its competitors and there were some huge games at the end of the year. Games where if you put really any time into them at all, Astrobot, Tetris Effect, Firewall Zero Hour & Beat Saber you're bound to find one that you really can't stop playing.

Its just sad that most mainstream gaming media doesn't see this as the first gen of many to come as the technology for VR and to run VR progresses but because its not a pair of sunglasses with no cords and not where VR is in Ready Player One right now, its labeled as too cumbersome.

I personally love VR, I enjoy the people I meet in games like Firewall online, chatting all VR things, among communities on social media, its been just a great group of people to play with. I have no doubt there will be a PSVR2 and in that leap we'll get another step closer to what VR is 'expected to be'

mckmas8808

Banned
Kotaku seems to not feel that strongly about VR and PSVR in general by reading that. Thats too bad as Sony has had some big successes with PSVR vs. its competitors and there were some huge games at the end of the year. Games where if you put really any time into them at all, Astrobot, Tetris Effect, Firewall Zero Hour & Beat Saber you're bound to find one that you really can't stop playing.

Its just sad that most mainstream gaming media doesn't see this as the first gen of many to come as the technology for VR and to run VR progresses but because its not a pair of sunglasses with no cords and not where VR is in Ready Player One right now, its labeled as too cumbersome.

I personally love VR, I enjoy the people I meet in games like Firewall online, chatting all VR things, among communities on social media, its been just a great group of people to play with. I have no doubt there will be a PSVR2 and in that leap we'll get another step closer to what VR is 'expected to be'

It's, more importantly, it's literally the definition of the "state of the PS4" in 2018. To blow by it the way they do is a joke. It's some of Sony's most innovative games this year.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Awful lotta Sony hats in this crowd...

I'm curious as to how many of you actually clicked on the articles. They give a fairly good summarization for both companies in my opinion.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The Sea of Thieves comment is especially dumb. That game is a wreck.

They dig into Sea of Thieves as much as anyone could expect. I've actually play the game and I think this line about sums it up. You seem to be speaking in uneducated fanboyish hyperboles, The game isn't a wreck. Fallout 76 is a wreck. The game plays beautifully...it just needs content and reason for people to jump back in. That's exactly what Kotaku says:

After a lackluster launch, Sea of Thieves’ continued free updates improved and expanded the game with new stuff like private pirate crews and more dangerous and exotic enemies. That said, , it still hasn’t turned into an unmissable game the likes of which you’d find on PS4 or Switch. Launching simultaneously on Game Pass was a nice bonus.

How is this wrong or "dumb" by your measure? If you wanna complain. Complain about this excerpt:

In March, we had Santa Monica’s God Of War, which is beautiful, with a strong story—not a bad start for a franchise overhaul. In September we got Marvel’s Spider-Man, which, if nothing else, made swinging around New York seem like the ideal mode of transportation for the city. The only real dud among these games was Quantic Games’s Detroit: Become Human in May, but at least that game looksbeautiful.

Excuse me? Not a bad start? god of War was phenomenal (though not a 10 IMO), and was Detroit really bad? I didn't play it.

Last edited:

Doom85

God of War, Spider-Man, Shadow of Colossus, Detroit, Astro Bot, etc are all kind of samey :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously, what were they even thinking typing that? God of War and Spider-man I guess have the "most similarities" but the story, setting, combat, music, and just overall feel are VASTLY different.

Hey, Spider-man has a jump button. Mario Odyssey also has a jump button. They also both have things you can collect. There's also a large city in both games. I guess these two games are "samey" by Kotaku's logic.

Foxbat

Banned
The article seems pretty accurate to me.

Sony has doubled down on the single player cinematic games. Those games have sold very well. More of those are on the way. What else is there to say about the PS4 really? It hasn't really innovated or evolved over the last couple of years. Sony fans have exclaimed over and over again that "Good exclusives are all that matters". Well... That's all you can really expect Sony to give you then.

VR as a whole looks to have already peaked. I know that several people here will disagree with that, but if the sales of VR isn't still increasing, then it's likely peaked. It seems as if PSVR got a couple of good games this year. Hopefully that renews interest, because it looks like Sony is spending a lot of resources there.

Chiggs

The game plays beautifully...it just needs content and reason for people to jump back in.

Read what you wrote a few times. I bolded the important point for you. Don't miss it.

In terms of the dumb comment, I was referring to this comment (bolded):

The PS4’s strong 2018 was highlighted by top-quality blockbusters God of War and Marvel’s Spider-Man. It looked even better in comparison to Xbox One, which had an unusually low number of exclusive games, keeping Sony-only console owners’ envy mostly in check (no regularly-expanded co-op pirate game and no cool open-world racing game for you, Sony folks).

Anyway, Sea of Thieves is a big, empty, boring mess...and nobody fucking cares about it. Insinuating envy for Sea of Thieves is dumb. Also, for how long it was in development, you think it would have released with, you know, some content. But hey, all of that no content sure plays beautifully!

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Read what you wrote a few times. I bolded the important point for you. Don't miss it.

In terms of the dumb comment, I was referring to this comment (bolded):

Anyway, Sea of Thieves is a big, empty, boring mess...and nobody fucking cares about it. Insinuating envy for Sea of Thieves is dumb. Also, for how long it was in development, you think it would have released with, you know, some content. But hey, all of that no content sure plays beautifully!

I mean it's technically true.

Kagey K

Banned
Seems to me that if you actually read both articles through, they sound really down on Xbox.

I get the OP picked choice quotes, to start a discussion, but they really picked the worst.

DonJimbo

Should i get the pro know ?
It costs 297 Euros for a limited time
Even i have an og ps4 but im tempted with this price tag :(

FranXico

Well that is some way to downplay one of the PS4 best year.
Releasing "a Forza of some sorts every year", though, that's ok...

mckmas8808

Banned
The article seems pretty accurate to me.

Sony has doubled down on the single player cinematic games. Those games have sold very well. More of those are on the way. What else is there to say about the PS4 really? It hasn't really innovated or evolved over the last couple of years. Sony fans have exclaimed over and over again that "Good exclusives are all that matters". Well... That's all you can really expect Sony to give you then.

VR as a whole looks to have already peaked. I know that several people here will disagree with that, but if the sales of VR isn't still increasing, then it's likely peaked. It seems as if PSVR got a couple of good games this year. Hopefully that renews interest, because it looks like Sony is spending a lot of resources there.

That's just a weird way to cover VR when it comes to Playstation in my opinion. Every game that was listed in the VGA's VR game of the year section was on PSVR. You can personally feel how you want about the tech, but it's foolish to just toss it aside with a shurg. And then say, "what else is there to say about Playstation besides the cinematic single player games?"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No clicks from me, Kotaku does not exist in my dojo.

Sweep the cache!

State of Kotaku in 2018
just-taking-out-the-trash.gif

Top Bottom