• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks: A breakdown of all the Confirmed Projects, Leaks, and Rumors

Ozriel

M$FT
All the updates are very negative. Coalition cancelled their game. We learn that Fable just entered full production and that Perfect Dark and Everwild are still nowhere to be seen. What a disaster on the XGS side.

Grubb canceled an imaginary game

Not sure why you expected to see Perfect Dark and Everwild in a Reddit post

Fable is unlikely to have just entered full production, and latest LinkedIn leak clarifies the game is already having playthroughs and build reviews.

ungalo

I'm talking about what VGC said, the reddit post mostly uses 3 sources, VGC, Grubb and Corden, who are most of the time reliable (but granted they also make a lot of mistakes).

II_JumPeR_I

I really dont believe that Fable is that far out.
They announced that thing in freaking 2020 and was rumored to be in dev for over a year before that.
I really hope we see that thing with a 2024 release window

SaucyJack

So 42 games coming, in hopefully the next 2/3 years....

Tbh this is so close to hitting the nail on the head.

They’re not going to release 42 games in the next 2/3 years.

But with the studio system that they have Xbox should be releasing 10+ games per year fleshed out with some curated Indie titles and some third party exclusives. Not everything needs to be a banger but there should be reasonably big titles every 3 or 4 months.

Problem is that they’re nowhere near that level of productive, and that’s first and foremost a management issue.

Pelta88

Me when i realize 90% of the list is sourced from Jez Corden.

giphy.gif

Fool me once... I put zero credibility into "Project this and that" and "I heard." Show me the actual game running on console or GTFO.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm talking about what VGC said, the reddit post mostly uses 3 sources, VGC, Grubb and Corden, who are most of the time reliable (but granted they also make a lot of mistakes).

Grubb makes mistakes, and the Coalition rumor is not credible. Saying they needed to make a smaller game to ‘learn UE5’ isn’t credible since they’re some of the foremost UE experts in the industry, worked with Epic during UE5 devt and put out the Matrix Experience on Series consoles.

The more likely scenario is that Grubb mistook their GDC demo for a game and then had to claim it was canceled to save face.

With Fable, you have an actual employee listing his duties as facilitating playthroughs and reviewing builds, meaning it’s playable. That supersedes any rumors from a VGC reporter.

The report stating Everwild development was in a messy state is dated 2021. Two years ago.

Eh. After seeing his Redfall tweets, he’s on his own

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Grubb makes mistakes, and the Coalition rumor is not credible. Saying they needed to make a smaller game to ‘learn UE5’ isn’t credible since they’re some of the foremost UE experts in the industry, worked with Epic during UE5 devt and put out the Matrix Experience on Series consoles.

The more likely scenario is that Grubb mistook their GDC demo for a game and then had to claim it was canceled to save face.

With Fable, you have an actual employee listing his duties as facilitating playthroughs and reviewing builds, meaning it’s playable. That supersedes any rumors from a VGC reporter.

The report stating Everwild development was in a messy state is dated 2021. Two years ago.

Eh. After seeing his Redfall tweets, he’s on his own

Shit, I forgot about you dude. Apologies!

Steve Harvey Familyfeud GIF by ABC Network

Ozriel

M$FT
Shit, I forgot about you dude. Apologies!

Steve Harvey Familyfeud GIF by ABC Network

at this point, it’s clear to anyone at MS that they need a blowout to start turning perception around, so they’ll need to come out with a stacked portfolio. Not much more hiding place this time.

So really interested in seeing what they’re going to show next month. Not to mention the Starfield deep dive.

With Google I/O tomorrow, the May 11th ROG Ally deep dive, Sony’s showcase end May and even Apple’s WWDC, it’s going to be a solid next 30 days.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Ninja Theory have become a mental health charity and Obsidian are making 7 games in 7 years......is anyone actually in charge at Xbox studios,sounds like the wheels have come off.
I can get criticizing output from some Xbox studios (343i, Arkane Austin etc...), but Ninja Theory and Obsidian have been pretty great. Even though Bleeding Edge was a flop, it wasn't a bad game and didn't exactly break the bank. If Hellblade 2 is not good, maybe it'll be time to worry about Ninja Theory. Obsidian on the other hand is looking like XGS's best studio now. We'll see how Avowed goes, but The Outer Worlds, Grounded and Pentiment are all fantastic games.

kyussman

I can get criticizing output from some Xbox studios (343i, Arkane Austin etc...), but Ninja Theory and Obsidian have been pretty great. Even though Bleeding Edge was a flop, it wasn't a bad game and didn't exactly break the bank. If Hellblade 2 is not good, maybe it'll be time to worry about Ninja Theory. Obsidian on the other hand is looking like XGS's best studio now. We'll see how Avowed goes, but The Outer Worlds, Grounded and Pentiment are all fantastic games.
I guess it's all subjective,you call The Outer Worlds fantastic I call it average.It riffed heavily on Fallout and hardly had an original idea in it.I certainly hope Avowed offers a bit more and doesn't just riff on Skyrim in the same way.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I guess it's all subjective,you call The Outer Worlds fantastic I call it average.It riffed heavily on Fallout and hardly had an original idea in it.I certainly hope Avowed offers a bit more and doesn't just riff on Skyrim in the same way.
For sure, but it reviewed well and was considered a success especially for it's budget. That's like me saying Guerilla's output sucks because I don't like their Ubisoft games. Horizon is clearly a successful series, but I think it's tired and boring. Clearly I'm in the minority on that.

Last edited:

cireza

Who we got left...me, you, adamsapple adamsapple and HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 a little bit enthusiastic for this show. Lol
EmbellishedRadiantArmyant-size_restricted.gif

There is no reason for them not being able to put a good show this year. Not that the previous ones were abysmal, they have been pretty consistent for the last several years. But with all the games that have been in the oven, they have to show some interesting things, otherwise it won't make any sense. Fable, Avowed to name a couple.

Last edited:

ebevan91

I want to hear about Everwild. I thought it looked really interesting when they first revealed it but it has gone through multiple reboots apparently.

kyussman

For sure, but it reviewed well and was considered a success especially for it's budget. That's like me saying Guerilla's output sucks becauee I don't like their Ubisoft games. Horizon is clearly a successful series, but I think it's tired and boring. Clearly I'm in the minority on that.
Hey,Death Stranding is probably my favorite game of all time.....I'm all about minority views,no shame in that,lol.

Godot25

Banned
Few pretty meaty updates

Xbox Games Studios

Mojang - Ended support for Minecraft Dungeons and shifted devs towards new Minecraft related project
343 Industries - They removed mentions of Slipspace Engine from their website which pretty much confirms fact that they will be moving to Unreal Engine 5. Also, Season 5 of Halo Infinite begins in October
Playground Games - No big news from them - still working on Fable with Eidos Montreal plus supporting Forza Horizon 5 while making FH6. They also crossed 400 employees according to LinkedIn
Rare - Still updating Sea of Thieves with Lucid Studios and making Everwild
Obsidian - They are planning big update for Grounded this year and still making The Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed. Avowed is planned for next year
Turn 10 - Forza Motorsport reviews are up with 84/100 on OpenCritic. Game will be supported long term with 2 new tracks in 2023 and another one confirmed in 2024 (Nordschleife)
The Coalition - Probably making Gears 6, but no concrete info
Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2 will be out next year and game is fully playable from beginning to the end. They are also making Project Mara.
Undead Labs - They released huge update for State of Decay 2 called Curveball (with Wushu Studios) and are making State of Decay 3
inXile - Their game called Clockwork Revolution was announced at Xbox Games Showcase
Compulsion Games - Their game called South of Midnight was announced at Xbox Games Showcase
Double Fine - After Psychonauts 2 they went silent
The Initiative - Still making Perfect Dark with Crystal Dynamics and IGN report on game hinted release year 2025
World's Edge - They released console version of Age of Empires IV and in November they will release new expansion called Sultans Ascend. They are also making Age of Mythology: Retold.

Xbox Game Studios Publishing

They are reportedly working on at least "dozen" of games.

That includes

Contraband - Game from Avalanche Studios (Just Cause guys)
Kojima Productions project
Towerborne - Game from Stoic (announced at XGS with 2024 release year)
Microsoft Flight Simulator - Game from Asobo (announced at XGS with 2024 release year)
Project Maverick - Game from People Can Fly that was "announced" as a working title with 30-50 million $ budget

Rumors of XGS Publishing projects are Project Fantasy (IO Interactive), Project Suerte (Certain Affinity), Wu-Tang Clan RPG game (Brass Lion Entertainment)

Bethesda

Thanks to FTC trial we now have access to whole Bethesda slate with old dates.

Bethesda-leaked-games-release-schedule.png

Zenimax Online Studios - Their new game is Project Kestrel - new IP which will be MMO or "shared-world" live service game. Game is in development for 5 years so there is possibility of 2024-2025 release
Bethesda Game Studios - They are supporting Fallout 76 and they released Starfield. Game got 86 on OpenCritic and had 10 million players during launch window. Studio will make new content for Starfield but they also started production on The Elder Scrolls VI
id Software - According to leak they are making new Doom game called Doom Year Zero. Considering that game was supposed to be out in 2023 (pre-covid) it is possible that we will hear more about it next year
Arkane - Arkane Lyon is making Dishonored 3 after Deathloop. Arkane Austin released critically panned Redfall and according to their job listings they already moved to next game
Tango Gameworks - They released Hi-Fi Rush and Xbox port of GhostWire: Tokyo. According to leak they are making sequel to GhostWire: Tokyo, but considering fact that first game did not sell gangbusters it is possible that they pivoted towards other game. It is rumored that they are making JRPG game
MachineGames - They are making Indiana Jones game which is supposed to be a trilogy. That means that Wolfenstein 3 is currently not in the plans
Roundhouse - Rumoured to be the studio that is supporting Redfall with promised content and 60FPS patch on Series X/S
Alpha Dog - They released Mighty Doom for smartphones but their current project is unknown.

Other Bethesda games from leak

Oblivion remaster - Alongside FTC leak, existence of this project was leaked by employee of Virtuous (MGS 3 Remake) since they are the studio tasked to do this remake/remaster

Fallout remaster - Probably same deal as Oblivion remaster
Project Platinum - Unknown title from unknown studio
Licensed IP game - Unknown project from unknown studio, but Shpeshal Nick is claiming that this project is around Disney IP

Godot25

Banned
I will also add "organic Growth" of Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda according to LinkedIn. I know that LinkedIn is not exact source of employee count, but the point is to see if Microsoft is investing in organic growth of their studios
First number is employee count from July 2021. Second number is employee count from this month. Studios are also sorted by their size.

Mojang - 674/967
ZeniMax Online - 457/616
Bethesda Game Studios - 390/498
343 Industries - 564/450
Playground Games - 314/399
Arkane - 257/301
id Software - 286/299
Rare - 267/289
Obsidian - 237/281
Xbox Game Studios Publishing - 99/238
Turn 10 - 163/223
The Coalition - 196/201
MachineGames - 130/157
Ninja Theory - 122/141
Undead Labs - 94/129
inXile - 110/118
Compulsion Games - 70/97
Double Fine - 79/83
The Initiative - 72/51
Alpha Dog - 16/27
World's Edge - 8/7

Few points
Rapid growth for ZOS, BGS, Playground, Turn 10, Undead Labs and Compulsion which bodes well with their game being in middle of production (Turn 10 and BGS ended production of Starfield and Forza Motorsport recently)
Impact of 343 layoffs are clear and studio was significantly reduced but their recently started hiring again.
XGS Publishing underwent monster growth which means more projects under their banner
The Initiative also reduced their staff during 2021 (which was reported by IGN) but their employee count is currently stable. Not big enough to make AAA game but they have Crystal Dynamics
Relatively stable employee count for studios like inXile, Rare, id Software, The Coalition, Obsidian and Double Fine
Arkane Austin have not experienced layoffs after disaster named Redfall and they started hiring. Rest of hires are for Lyon branch of Arkane.

Godot25

Banned
I take it this was Blade, right?
Yeah it seems like it.
I also wonder if it means that Dishonored 3 is next Arkane Austin project after Redfall or that list is just inaccurate anymore.

For example, Jez Corden said in Xbox Two podcast that he knows for sure that some of the projects on that Bethesda FTC leak never entered into production. So I suspect that GhostWire: Toyko 2 is not a thing and same thing applies for Doom Year Zero.

Ozriel

M$FT
For all of the attention the long development cycles of Everwild, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable and Perfect Dark get - it will be 5 years in September since The Coalition released a game. That’s a Tears of the Kingdom development cycle.

They released Hivebusters in 2020, and co-developed Gears Tactics with Splash Damage. But yeah, their next game should be very far along by now.
Most likely a Gears 6.

Top Bottom