• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda Softworks, and Activision Blizzard King: A breakdown of all the Confirmed Projects, Leaks, and Rumors

Ozriel

M$FT
How many people on that team do you know personally? Because that's the version I got from the horses mouth as it were.
And where was Uncharted's online mode? (released in Nov 2017 a whole 7 months before the Studio London project was cancelled).

As to Studio Liverpool, do you want me to reel off the names of projects that spent in, in some cases, YEARS of pre-prod without much in the way of creative direction and zero chance of getting greenlit? Want to talk to me about Combat Games, the initial re-thinks of Shadow Of The Beast, B-Boyz?
Again. I know people personally.

Yes resources were re-allocated to Evo in Warrington, mainly to work around consultation periods for mass layoffs... and what happened to Evo hmmm.

You don't get to dictate the parameters of public discussion.

Dude, I've pitched literally dozens of projects over the years. I know how the system works.

It means a lot. Not only do you need to hire, but you then need to integrate all the new hires into a functional team. Until you have a group that's been working together for some time, you're still on the learning curve. And no, Playground do not count because it was formed around a core of ex-Codies staff, just down the road in Leamington. Most of all making a racing game is comparatively easy compared to creating a RPG, the former is mostly code and art, the design part is mainly about tuning and structure, whereas with the latter there are shit-ton of other plates to keep spinning. Climax discovered this the hard way when they went from mostly racing titles to making Sudeki back in the early oughts.

Speaking of Climax, there's another cautionary tale about over-aggressive expansion, but I'll save that for another day.

Its a freshly created spin-off. So no.

Stop making excuses for your preciouses. Delays are delays, and noone outside the studio gives a shit as to the exact reason why unless it fits into their rhetorical narrative.

Pffft, yeah right. 3 years to put out a CG trailer says they are going through the sort of growing pains I described. The "best" people tend to have the biggest "opinions", you can't magically create a studio culture.

From my persective in terms of output they are precisely where Black Tusk was. Remember them?

Pre-Spencer? The problems were at the worst when good old Phil was most directly involved in development.

Yeah, lets see how relaxed and hands off they are as the newer, more valuable acquisitions like those part of Zenimax and ABK start taking their spots and they start falling down the pecking order!

Doesn't matter. Performance is always metricized and low return units get disbanded or reorganized. The amount of available resources is irrelevent because its about efficiency and ROI.

How are you this grizzled industry veteran and still this invested in console fanboyism?

Most of your responses have no substance, and involves you name-dropping. Still no credible answer for why you think the Initiative should have had a shipping title out by now after just getting started off in 2018, and why, with your alleged industry connects, you had no idea how and why the team was set up. Still no credible explanation from you which teams you imagine were a better fit for a Fable revival in 2017.

More tellingly, your 'experience' from hanging around underachieving, inefficient studios (as you've put it yourself) doesn't really give you any insight into how Microsoft's first party is being run. And that's evident in your illogical claim that the likes of Obsidian and Ninja Theory, two studios with ambitious plans for a Gamepass-friendly regular release cadence, would 'fall down the pecking order' and be supplanted by other studios.

20+ Years in the business says I know more than you.

Spencer's got way more years in the industry than you claim to have. Didn't stop you from rubbishing his decision to accept Playground's Fable pitch, did it?

Fredrik

Well, if not, they should find some loose change under their couch and buy them. Their games would be great consistent additions to GamePass.

I liked Ori and the Blind Forrest, but Will of the Wisps was a huge improvement and my favorite metroidvania after Hollow Knight. I'd love to see what they could accomplish on their next iteration.
I’m pretty sure MS tried to buy them, but they didn’t want to be bought and now they’re off doing a completely different game, a multiplat, with Private Division as publisher.
It’s a a real shame what happened, personally I think the Ori IP is dead now, I just can’t see MS do much with it unless they manage to contract Moon to make another game, which they might not want to do.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How are you this grizzled industry veteran and still this invested in console fanboyism?

Nothing I wrote was "fanboyism". I pointed out the dangers of mass consolidation from the POV of someone who's worked in dev. Which apparently offended your tender sensibilities!

Spencer's got way more years in the industry than you claim to have. Didn't stop you from rubbishing his decision to accept Playground's Fable pitch, did it?

Spencer wouldn't condescend to speak to you, champ. Feel lucky that I bother.

I didn't rubbish his pitch either, that decision was made prior to recent acquisitions which obviously are what afford the options.

Funny thing you talk about my "no substance" when what have you got to offer the discussion?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So that State of Xbox Game Studios games huh ...

probably should be returning back to that topic mirite guys ?

I hope at least one or more of these long-in-development projects gets release dates for this year besides Starfield. MS's output is looking a bit thin otherwise.

Ozriel

M$FT

I hope at least one or more of these long-in-development projects gets release dates for this year besides Starfield. MS's output is looking a bit thin otherwise.

Redfall has a 2022 release date. And there’s really no way Forza Motorsport doesn’t come out this year.

That doesn’t even cover the timed exclusive stuff like Replaced, Somerville, STALKER 2, Crossfire X, Scorn. Or the day 1 games coming to Gamepass.

Kagey K

Banned
Redfall has a 2022 release date. And there’s really no way Forza Motorsport doesn’t come out this year.

That doesn’t even cover the timed exclusive stuff like Replaced, Somerville, STALKER 2, Crossfire X, Scorn. Or the day 1 games coming to Gamepass.
I suspect we will see a couple close to release date announcements this year.

With Gamepass they don't need the prehype pre-order cycle.

They can announce them, have the games come out and let reviews and players do the talking for them.

Kagey K

Banned

Redfall, Starfield, Forza looks very similar to Horizon, GT, God of War if we are comparing lineups.

The main difference being that 2 of those are new IPs (and people are always proclaiming they want new IPs) the rest are sequels.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Skimming the giant list, I'd say these are the games I'm looking for:

- FM8
- State of Decay 3
- Compulsion Game's dark action-adventure game
- All the fantasy RPGs listed across the studios
- Starfield space RPG
- MW2
- Diablo 4
- The new Blizzard survival game

Interested to see how it looks, but dont care to play: Gears 6 (if it's the same shit again) and Hellblade 2 (if it's unskippable cut scene mania again)

octiny

Banned
Well, if not, they should find some loose change under their couch and buy them. Their games would be great consistent additions to GamePass.

I liked Ori and the Blind Forrest, but Will of the Wisps was a huge improvement and my favorite metroidvania after Hollow Knight. I'd love to see what they could accomplish on their next iteration.

That's the dev that tried to throw MS under the bus. He willingly signed a contract for Xbox/PC exclusivity, MS then funded the entire thing. He then complained that MS wouldn't let the Ori games on other systems (MS already allowed him to put his games on the Switch.).

I doubt MS has any interest buying that studio, not w/ I don't read contracts Mr. Thomas Mahler at the helm. Absolute epitome of a dumbass. MS owns the Ori IP so we'll see what happens w/ it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
20+ Years in the business says I know more than you.
You could have had 20 unsuccessful years in the industry.
Or could be frikken 90 and just out of touch.
Or this could be a forum and you could be just chatting out ya ass.
You dont have a vetted tag which would add weight to your posts.

Inb4 "I dont need to prove myself to you"

Fredrik

My most wanted ones:
Starfield
Avowed
InXile steampunk RPG
Diablo 4
Fable
The Outer Worlds 2
The Elder Scrolls VI

Somewhat interesting, could be awesome or too safe, we’ll see:
Forza Motorsport 8
Gears 6
State of Decay 3
Perfect Dark
Hellblade 2

Too little details out to have an opinion about but still worth mentioning:
Killer Instinct
Contraband
Everwild
Project Mara
Blizzard’s Unknown Survival IP

All in all I feel like Microsoft are too focused on first person games right now.
They have a ton of RPGs though, which is my #2 favorite genre after metroidvania.
2022 - Starfield
2023 - Avowed, Diablo 4, Fable
2024 ? inXile Steampunk RPG
2025 ? The Outer Worlds 2
2026 ? The Elder Scrolls VI

Riky

$MSFT
It's a pretty interesting mix with purchased studios, their own eternal established studios, completely new studios and "second party" exclusives.
Also full of new IP like Everwild, Redfall. Reboots like Perfect Dark and the continuation of huge franchises like Halo and Gears.

They really need a little more variety and they have the franchises under their belt to do it, Banjo and Jet Force Gemini spring to mind.

Exciting times.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

New Forza M this year ? Curious how it will look being currentgen only, reboot of Perfect Dark also interesting and of course cant wait to check Hellblade 2 but thats apparently 2023

Ozriel

M$FT
I wish they’d invest in some more family friendly stuff, too. The Series S is perfect for family and as a secondary console for kids too.
They’ve got the IP. Use Rare’s IP stash and if the activision deal goes through, there’s always Crash and Spyro.

A new Crash Team Racing game with guest characters drawn from across Microsoft Gaming IP would be awesome.

hlm666

This is all I care about. And Elder Ring, obviously.
I'm really looking forward to hearing what else is on the ost for that game, takes a bit to pull me out of my preferred music genre but the song in the trailer is so good.

BlackM1st

Banned
Skimming the giant list, I'd say these are the games I'm looking for:

- FM8
- State of Decay 3
- Compulsion Game's dark action-adventure game
- All the fantasy RPGs listed across the studios
- Starfield space RPG
- MW2
- Diablo 4
- The new Blizzard survival game

Interested to see how it looks, but dont care to play: Gears 6 (if it's the same shit again) and Hellblade 2 (if it's unskippable cut scene mania again)
My most wanted ones:
Starfield
Avowed
InXile steampunk RPG
Diablo 4
Fable
The Outer Worlds 2
The Elder Scrolls VI

Somewhat interesting, could be awesome or too safe, we’ll see:
Forza Motorsport 8
Gears 6
State of Decay 3
Perfect Dark
Hellblade 2

Too little details out to have an opinion about but still worth mentioning:
Killer Instinct
Contraband
Everwild
Project Mara
Blizzard’s Unknown Survival IP

All in all I feel like Microsoft are too focused on first person games right now.
They have a ton of RPGs though, which is my #2 favorite genre after metroidvania.
2022 - Starfield
2023 - Avowed, Diablo 4, Fable
2024 ? inXile Steampunk RPG
2025 ? The Outer Worlds 2
2026 ? The Elder Scrolls VI
Pretty impressive lists ofc, but I wonder how many of these games will be actually playable in the next 3 years.

A lot of people are buying GamePass for 3 years now (thanks to 1$ live conversion) and I'm really curious what they can realistically expect to play...

So far it looks like a 3 year investment in development of future games haha

TES being 2026 is kinda sad. Such a cruel irony that TES and GTA are my most anticipated sequels lmao

Must tell a lot about my tastes in gaming that even after these acquisitions, my most anticipated Xbox exclusives are Ori 3 and Tunic.
Your profile description says lot about you.

-
Captain Toad
I advertise for PlayStation. For free.

As far as Xbox upcoming projects are concerned, then no one will get excited unless they see those games in action. Most unknown project that we know nothing about.

Fredrik

Pretty impressive lists ofc, but I wonder how many of these games will be actually playable in the next 3 years.

A lot of people are buying GamePass for 3 years now (thanks to 1$ live conversion) and I'm really curious what they can realistically expect to play...

TES being 2026 is kinda sad. Such a cruel irony that TES and GTA are my most anticipated sequels lmao
The Elder Scrolls VI could easily come later than 2026, they’re apparently still in pre-production, 4 years of full production seems fast for Bethesda imo. Console warriors using that game as fuel in the PS5 vs XSX battle looks kinda dumb now I’d say. Will it arrive on XSX? Maybe but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Anyhow, Gamepass is already great so it’s not like people are just playing nothing until the big 1st party games comes out. I played about 30 games last year, a handful 1st party games, payed $60 total. Worth every penny.

BlackM1st

Banned
Anyhow, Gamepass is already great so it’s not like people are just playing nothing until the big 1st party games comes out. I played about 30 games last year, a handful 1st party games, payed $60 total. Worth every penny.
Yeah, good for you, I'm mostly a day 1 AAA games buyer anyway, so I'm really interested only in future AAA releases and how/when they will be available.

So far investing in Game Pass ultimate doesn't look like such a great idea to me simply because of the type of games I'm personally interested in. Unfortunately so far everything looks so far away.

(Still, for what you're getting value wise GP is a great offer. )

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You could have had 20 unsuccessful years in the industry.
Or could be frikken 90 and just out of touch.
Or this could be a forum and you could be just chatting out ya ass.
You dont have a vetted tag which would add weight to your posts.

Inb4 "I dont need to prove myself to you"

Or you know, you could take my statements at face value and actually learn something :D
Been posting here since 2009, feel free to scour my post history for inconsistencies in who I present myself as if you doubt me.

Ahahhahaha fanboy pureness.
e-m-b-a-r-a-s-s-i-n-g

Why should I be embarrassed about having a pretty lengthy career in the industry under discussion? Is having actual insider experience, and knowledge of the processes involved actually a bad thing in your mind?

I'm also genuinely curious too as to why despite illustrating my points with reference to Sony's past mistakes under similar circumstances I'm the "fanboy"? Who am I supposed to be stanning for again?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I meant more in terms of the properties that we know are in development but don't have concrete release windows and/or even final names.

Hell, I would be absolutely stoked if Hellblade 2 makes 2022 somehow.

Kydd BlaZe

2022 will be an awesome year for Xbox fans as well. I know a lot of people seem to think that there’s really nothing coming this year, but Redfall, Starfield, and Forza Motorsport will be absolute bangers IMO. Not to mention, Xbox players will finally get to play Deathloop. Then there’s stuff like Crossfire X (campaign from Remedy looks awesome) and STALKER 2.

And this is just the stuff we know about. This will be a good year for Xbox.

Leyasu

Banned
Redfall, Starfield and F Motorsport is a banging line up.
I'm looking forward to all of those. Although I am doubtful about FM.

If Ark 2 makes it, plus Stalker. Plus 3rd party games, yeah 2022 is looking good. I forgot Deathloop which I will play too

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
The Elder Scrolls VI could easily come later than 2026, they’re apparently still in pre-production, 4 years of full production seems fast for Bethesda imo. Console warriors using that game as fuel in the PS5 vs XSX battle looks kinda dumb now I’d say. Will it arrive on XSX? Maybe but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I don't think so. TES have huge advantage over Starfield. It is not a new IP where you need to figure out rules of the world etc. And Bethesda does not need to make new engine because they will use Creation Engine 2 for that game too.

So I would say that 2026 is pretty realistic for TES VI

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't think so. TES have huge advantage over Starfield. It is not a new IP where you need to figure out rules of the world etc. And Bethesda does not need to make new engine because they will use Creation Engine 2 for that game too.

Some studios can out out a new IP and it will be as hyped up as their last game. Similar to Witcher and Cyberpunk. Similar to Skyrim, Fallout and Starfield.

Fredrik

Previously I thought they had two full teams at Maryland, one for Fallout and one for TES. But going by Wikipedia they only do full-production for one game at a time. And the studio went from Oblivion to Fallout 3 to Skyrim to Fallout 4 to Starfield and will go to TES next. So they won’t likely start full production of TES until next year considering Starfield is out late this year. I’m just doubtful they can hit 2026. It’s an all new map and game development seems to take longer now with all the tiny details people are expecting.

They care, but they care a lot less than Sony and Nintendo do. They just want to sell enough systems and release enough great games with the ultimate goal of pushing Game Pass subscriber counts higher. Whether that be on PC or Console they really don't care.
pile GIF

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I’m pretty sure MS tried to buy them, but they didn’t want to be bought and now they’re off doing a completely different game, a multiplat, with Private Division as publisher.
It’s a a real shame what happened, personally I think the Ori IP is dead now, I just can’t see MS do much with it unless they manage to contract Moon to make another game, which they might not want to do.
Plenty of other studios now that could do Ori under MS umbrella.

Last edited:

Fredrik

343 put out two games in 3 years with 84 and 87 metacritic, then had to take a bit longer to make a new engine and put out another 87 game in a pandemic. If that’s a studio doing poorly for you you’re killing it.
Yeah. I think people need to stop saying 343i is some kind of black sheep now, Halo Infinite has been awarded with 26 Game Of The Year awards so far, it was the GOTY here at GAF too. We all like different games but I think it’s time to admit that Halo (and 343) is back.

Fredrik

Plenty of other studios now that could do Ori under MS umbrella.
Plenty? Name one.
Moon Studios is extremely skilled at what they’re doing in the metroidvania genre, and they’re at the absolute top when it comes to animations and story telling. I don’t think they can be swapped out.

Andodalf

Banned
Plenty? Name one.
Moon Studios is extremely skilled at what they’re doing in the metroidvania genre, and they’re at the absolute top when it comes to animations and story telling. I don’t think they can be swapped out.
Activision going to put everything they learned form pitfall into this!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

For my list at least, MW2, Starfield and maybe FM8 will come later this year. And Stalker too though that wasnt on the rumour list. Nothing special coming out for my tastes until Q4.

Assuming the rumoured dates are true (or kind of true), it'll be a giant wave of games in 2023-2024.

As for GP now, I have no problem with it. It's dirt cheap (I'm on the $1 deal) and will renew doing the 1 month deal later this year when it expires. I also dabble with old EA games that get added every 9 months.

GP isn't only for first party games. "So realistically" there's 100s of games already there people can play.

So what's the revised release schedules now that we are heading into 2023?

- Starfield (Confirmed)
- Redfall (Confirmed)
-.Forza MS (Confirmed)
- Ghostwire (Confirmed)
- Goldeneye 007 (Rumoured)
- Ara: History Untold (Semi Confirmed)
- Project Belfry (Rumoured)

- Avowed (Rumoured)
- Hellblade 2 (Rumoured)
- Project Cobalt (Rumoured)
- Contraband (Rumoured)
- Project Shaolin (Rumoured)
- Project Midnight (Rumoured)
- State Of Decay 3 (Rumoured)

- Indiana Jones (Rumoured)
- The Outer Worlds 2 (Rumoured)
- Coalition New IP (Rumoured)
- Project Dragon (Rumoured)
- Forza Horizon 6 (Rumoured)
- Fable (Rumoured)
- Perfect Dark (Rumoured)
-

- Project Mara (Guess)
- Gears 6
- New id game (Quake?)
- New Certain Affinity Xbox exclusive
- ??
- ??
- ??

Now a bit of star gazing here, but this is what you would expect to see moving forward. There will obviously be some games dropping in those years that we don't know of. I mean Redfall came out of nowhere not that long before it was due to be released.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
So what's the revised release schedules now that we are heading into 2023?

- Starfield (Confirmed)
- Redfall (Confirmed)
-.Forza MS (Confirmed)
- Ghostwire (Confirmed)
- Goldeneye 007 (Rumoured)
- Ara: History Untold (Semi Confirmed)
- Project Belfry (Rumoured)

- Avowed (Rumoured)
- Hellblade 2 (Rumoured)
- Project Cobalt (Rumoured)
- Contraband (Rumoured)
- Project Shaolin (Rumoured)
- Project Midnight (Rumoured)
- State Of Decay 3 (Rumoured)

- Indiana Jones (Rumoured)
- The Outer Worlds 2 (Rumoured)
- Coalition New IP (Rumoured)
- Project Dragon (Rumoured)
- Forza Horizon 6 (Rumoured)
- Fable (Rumoured)
- Perfect Dark (Rumoured)
-

- Project Mara (Guess)
- Gears 6
- New id game (Quake?)
- New Certain Affinity Xbox exclusive
- ??
- ??
- ??

Now a bit of star gazing here, but this is what you would expect to see moving forward. There will obviously be some games dropping in those years that we don't know of. I mean Redfall came out of nowhere not that long before it was due to be released.
I really doubt that Microsoft has nothing for second half of 2023 considering that all games slated for 2023 are for first half.

I think that either Hellblade 2 or Contraband or Avowed will be out in 2023.

Also that new IP from Zenimax Online is in development for 4,5 years so it should be in full production swing.

So you are missing Age of Mythology Retold and Everwild

Last edited:
I really doubt that Microsoft has nothing for second half of 2023 considering that all games slated for 2023 are for first half.

I think that either Hellblade 2 or Contraband or Avowed will be out in 2023.

Also that new IP from Zenimax Online is in development for 4,5 years so it should be in full production swing.

So you are missing Age of Mythology Retold and Everwild
Yeah I gave missed a few I think.
There is a number of new IPs in development that we haven't been shown yet.

Inxile had two new IPs yet to be announced.
The Coalition had a new IP.
Roundhouse had a new IP.
Asobo is developing an exclusive xbox game.
Roundhouse has a new IP.
Double Fine are working on a new IP.
Arkane is working on a new game.
Tango is moving onto a new game.
There is a new Killer Instinct in development.
Certain Affinity has a new exclusive xbox IP in development.

As it stands we have the following number of exclusive games in development that we know of, and there would be far more than what we know.

343 - 1 new IP along side Halo.
Coalition- 2 games in development
Inxile - 2 games in development
Obsidian- 2 possibly 3 games in development
Compulsion - 1 game in development
Ninja Theory- 2 games in development
Turn 10 - 1 game in development
Playground - 2 games in development
Initiative - 1 game in development
Undead - 1 Game in development
Double Fine- 1 game in development
Bethesda- 3 games in development
Id - 1 game in development
Arkane - 2 games in development
Tango - 1 game in development
Roundhouse - 1 game in development
Machine - 2 games in development
Rare - 2 games in development
Asobo - 1 game in development
IP Interactive- 1 game in development
Avalanche- 1 game in development
Certain Affinity- 1 game in development
Kojima - 1 game in development
Stoic - 1 game in development
Brass Lion - 1 game in development
Oxide - 1 game in development
Namco - 1 game in development
Behaviour Interactive - Rumour 1 game in development

That's nearly 40 exclusive xbox games in development that we know of.

Godot25

Banned
Yeah I gave missed a few I think.
There is a number of new IPs in development that we haven't been shown yet.

Inxile had two new IPs yet to be announced.
The Coalition had a new IP.
Roundhouse had a new IP.
Asobo is developing an exclusive xbox game.
Roundhouse has a new IP.
Double Fine are working on a new IP.
Arkane is working on a new game.
Tango is moving onto a new game.
There is a new Killer Instinct in development.
Certain Affinity has a new exclusive xbox IP in development.

As it stands we have the following number of exclusive games in development that we know of, and there would be far more than what we know.

343 - 1 new IP along side Halo.
Coalition- 2 games in development
Inxile - 2 games in development
Obsidian- 2 possibly 3 games in development
Compulsion - 1 game in development
Ninja Theory- 2 games in development
Turn 10 - 1 game in development
Playground - 2 games in development
Initiative - 1 game in development
Undead - 1 Game in development
Double Fine- 1 game in development
Bethesda- 3 games in development
Id - 1 game in development
Arkane - 2 games in development
Tango - 1 game in development
Roundhouse - 1 game in development
Machine - 2 games in development
Rare - 2 games in development
Asobo - 1 game in development
IP Interactive- 1 game in development
Avalanche- 1 game in development
Certain Affinity- 1 game in development
Kojima - 1 game in development
Stoic - 1 game in development
Brass Lion - 1 game in development
Oxide - 1 game in development
Namco - 1 game in development
Behaviour Interactive - Rumour 1 game in development

That's nearly 40 exclusive xbox games in development that we know of.
Roundhouse is helping with Redfall so only God knows how far along is their own game.
Asobo is developing new game for Xbox? That's new to me
Tango was making a new game alongside GhostWire by director of The Evil Within 2 (John Johanas)
That Killer Instinct game is rumor with huuuuge pinch of salt (since source is Shpeshal Nick)

343 is making new Halo game alongside live service of Infinite. Not new IP
MachineGames with 2 games? That's huge asterisk. I know that Pete Hines confirmed Wolf 3 few years ago, but nobody knows if Wolf is really in development. MachineGames is 160 devs according to LinkedIn so somehow I can't see them developing two games at once.
Second game for Rare was never confirmed as far as I know.

I would say that in 2023 Xbox will release

Age of Empires II: DE (Xbox console port)
Age of Empires IV (Xbox console port)
Age of Mythology: Retold (PC only)
GhostWire: Tokyo (Xbox port, after PS5 exclusivity)
Forza Motorsport
Redfall
Starfield
Minecraft Legends
ARA: History Untold
GoldenEye 007
Diablo IV (if they manage to get Activision Blizzard purchase through)
Belfry
Hellblade II/Avowed/Contraband

So 2024 would be something like

Perfect Dark
Project Midnight (Compulsion)
New Coalition IP
Fable
Project Cobalt
Project Mara
ZoS new IP
new Call of Duty by Treyarch
that new Tango Gameworks game

And 2025 would be something like

New id Software Game (Quake reboot?)
Project Dragon
Everwild
Kojima new project
that Brass Lion game
State of Decay 3
new Arkane Lyon game (Deathloop makers)
that Blizzard survival game

But that's really just guessing. I think that 2023 is pretty set in stone and only moving parts are if Hellblade II/Contraband/Avowed will manage to get something done in next year or they will slip into 2024.

Last edited:
Roundhouse is helping with Redfall so only God knows how far along is their own game.
Asobo is developing new game for Xbox? That's new to me
Tango was making a new game alongside GhostWire by director of The Evil Within 2 (John Johanas)
That Killer Instinct game is rumor with huuuuge pinch of salt (since source is Shpeshal Nick)

343 is making new Halo game alongside live service of Infinite. Not new IP
MachineGames with 2 games? That's huge asterisk. I know that Pete Hines confirmed Wolf 3 few years ago, but nobody knows if Wolf is really in development. MachineGames is 160 devs according to LinkedIn so somehow I can't see them developing two games at once.
Second game for Rare was never confirmed as far as I know.

I would say that in 2023 Xbox will release

Age of Empires II: DE (Xbox console port)
Age of Empires IV (Xbox console port)
Age of Mythology: Retold (PC only)
GhostWire: Tokyo (Xbox port, after PS5 exclusivity)
Forza Motorsport
Redfall
Starfield
Minecraft Legends
ARA: History Untold
GoldenEye 007
Diablo IV (if they manage to get Activision Blizzard purchase through)
Belfry

So 2024 would be something like

Perfect Dark
Project Midnight (Compulsion)
New Coalition IP
Fable
Project Cobalt
Project Mara
ZoS new IP
new Call of Duty by Treyarch
that new Tango Gameworks game

And 2025 would be something like

New id Software Game (Quake reboot?)
Project Dragon
Everwild
Kojima new project
that Brass Lion game
State of Decay 3
new Arkane Lyon game (Deathloop makers)
that Blizzard survival game

But that's really just guessing. I think that 2023 is pretty set in stone and only moving parts are if Hellblade II/Contraband/Avowed will manage to get something done in next year or they will slip into 2024.
Rare is working on the Goldeneye remaster as well as Everwild.

I believe Grubb came out and supported Sphecial Nick about Killer Instinct and also said it was Bandai Namco that was developing it?

Jez Corden was the one who said 343 were working on a new IP. He normally is pretty good with his info. He was the one who leaked Inxiles new game, Compulsions new game, Pentament, and a heap of other new IPs.

Most companies will have a second game up and running before they finish the current one. They don't finish their game and then sit around for a couple of months fleshing out what their next project is. They will have a small group building the basic game while the vast majority are working on the main one. Then once they finish their part on the main game they migrate to the second game team. So the last 6 months of a game is generally polishing, bug fixing and performance optimisation. Art directors, writers etc have done their part they then roll over to the next one. They might start the new game in the last 12 or so months before the current game is released.
Well, that's how I have had it explained to me.

With regards to Asobo, it was said by them that they were working on two games after Flight Sim. One was Plague Tale 2 and the other was another game for Microsoft.
Not that long ago Sphecial Nick said it was a racing game of some sort.

Godot25

Banned
Rare is working on the Goldeneye remaster as well as Everwild.

I believe Grubb came out and supported Sphecial Nick about Killer Instinct and also said it was Bandai Namco that was developing it?

Jez Corden was the one who said 343 were working on a new IP. He normally is pretty good with his info. He was the one who leaked Inxiles new game, Compulsions new game, Pentament, and a heap of other new IPs.

Most companies will have a second game up and running before they finish the current one. They don't finish their game and then sit around for a couple of months fleshing out what their next project is. They will have a small group building the basic game while the vast majority are working on the main one. Then once they finish their part on the main game they migrate to the second game team. So the last 6 months of a game is generally polishing, bug fixing and performance optimisation. Art directors, writers etc have done their part they then roll over to the next one. They might start the new game in the last 12 or so months before the current game is released.
Well, that's how I have had it explained to me.

With regards to Asobo, it was said by them that they were working on two games after Flight Sim. One was Plague Tale 2 and the other was another game for Microsoft.
Not that long ago Sphecial Nick said it was a racing game of some sort.
[/URL]
If I remember correctly, Jez said that 343 is working on new "non-Halo Infinite" game. Not a new IP. Can't imagine 343 doing anything else than Halo.

Yup, I agree that most studios are spinning ideas for new games in time when they are finishing one project.

I did not noticed that Asobo news. But it's still Speshal Nick attached to that rumor, so I'm skeptical. I trust Jez and GrubbGrubb, but Nick has more misses than hits. That's why I'm also skeptical about Killer Instinct. But we will see.

Top Bottom