• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Steam Deck | Review Mega Thread

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
He was asking about indie darlings. Doom and Witcher 3 probably wouldn't qualify.
Dead Cells at Medium brightness lasted 6hrs. Phawx was able to get to 7.5hrs parking cores on the CPU, iirc. I was looking at some charts and against the OG Switch and the Lite I think that will compare favorably.

He was asking about indie darlings. Doom and Witcher 3 probably wouldn't qualify.
Well there's going to be Portal on the Switch sometime soon. We know the Deck gets around 5 hours of that. Not an "indie", but a darling. :)

And Phawks got 8-something hours out of Dead Cells. So at the absolute minimum you could probably push the Deck far enough to match the Switch in lightweight games.

AndrewRyan

I know the batterty life sucks for the biggest AAA games, but how is it for indie darlings like Hollow Knight, Super Meat Boy, Cuphead, Undertale, etc?
Watched a review that got over 8 hours for Super Meat Boy. The battery life is so flexible based on the performance options, guessing it's the kind of thing you'll tweak based on how long you plan to be undocked.

Grechy34

I am one of those who finds this absolutely fascinating and am actually considering buying one later on down the line (say, Q4, when the most surgent issues are fixed and early bird/Q1/Q2 preorders are out).

I am not a hardcore gamer. I have a 1 litre mini PC with just enough juice to run PS360 games and older retro games (which is my forte). My console: A used up X360 with way too many games i still need to play. By all means i am a gamer who does not want the most expensive gear to have a good time (To the point where i would consider a now still hypothetical HP Elitedesk mini 1 litre PC with Rembrandt APU to be the machine for me when it comes to simple yet effective gaming).

Getting what is essentially PS4 one performance at 720/800p means PS360 games will mostly fly (Enslaved still drops from 60 fps but okay) and for the base price of 399, where ill just shell some extra dough for a large SD card, that is rather a steal.

So consider me fascinated. Even with the suboptimal screen, i am more than forgiving considering what it can pump out. In a way it reminds me of the Sega Nomad and Atari Lynx - Also huge handhelds that held amazing power (And when it came to the Lynx, it actually beated certain consoles at the time) at the cost of battery.

If that is what makes you consider cancelling, then you have had unrealistic expectations in check. Valve made it abundantly clear that the Steam Deck is mean't to play PS4/XBO and a little beyond games at 720p/800p resolution at 30 FPS - And it achieves this mostly so. The closest current-gen competitor to this is the Series S, so it will be interesting to see how the Steam Deck will fare against the Series S versions. Sometimes these get hamstrung, but perhaps if Steam Deck is succesful, devs will optimize more for the Series S aswell - Which is a steal for the price it has.

That's literally what the Steam Deck can do. And again, the console is primarily made for 720/800p gaming on PS4/XBO equivalent titles. That it beasts Doom Eternal at Ultra settings at 60 fps is such a far cry (heh) from the Switch version at 720p (and lower) at 30 fps. It is a monumental leap in handheld gaming.

Again i feel your expectation is unrealistic, and that's not something Valve can solve.

The problem with this is that in a year most new titles will just tank on this advice. It's a nice device and I hope it does well for Valve as I think the next iteration is going to be really good.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The problem with this is that in a year most new titles will just tank on this advice.
I am definitely tanking on your advice right now indeed lol.

You cannot predict this because this is a year in the future.

Its like me saying that Ryzen 5 2400G would tank at introduction in the next year. But here we are, Vega 11 is still decent. If you bought a 2400G back in the day, you wouldn't buy a 5700G right now, but rather wait for the RDNA2 iteration because that's a meaningful boost.

Same with GTX 750Ti. A 2014 GPU still delivers commendable visuals at 1080p.

It's a nice device and I hope it does well for Valve as I think the next iteration is going to be really good.
I feel people love saying this about anything. ''Hmm, i like this, but the next iteration, that's where i am at.''

With the philosophy you won't buy anything ever.

But those RDNA2 IGPU's.. now that's a boost.

Grechy34

I am definitely tanking on your advice right now indeed lol.

You cannot predict this because this is a year in the future.

Its like me saying that Ryzen 5 2400G would tank at introduction in the next year. But here we are, Vega 11 is still decent. If you bought a 2400G back in the day, you wouldn't buy a 5700G right now, but rather wait for the RDNA2 iteration because that's a meaningful boost.

Same with GTX 750Ti. A 2014 GPU still delivers commendable visuals at 1080p.

I feel people love saying this about anything. ''Hmm, i like this, but the next iteration, that's where i am at.''

With the philosophy you won't buy anything ever.

But those RDNA2 IGPU's.. now that's a boost.

Fair point. I guess what I'm trying to say is that handheld is not quite at console level but may get there soon. The device (not advice) is undoubtedly awesome and for those who managed to grab one I'm sure will absolutely love it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Phawx did a Deck vs Win3 vs NEO Pro comparison in RDR2.

Deck has 20% better Low and 38% better Average than Win3, despite running 24W total system power compared to Win3(and NEO Pro) at 28W. Note: He said that Win3 and NEO Pro have bigger batteries, so the battery life ends up the same in the end.
rao1IsN.jpg

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This is the mystery wrapped in the riddle. They aren't poaching Nintendo fans, and they aren't poaching these:
South Park Wow GIF

From the front of their specced out 240 fps curved monitors.
Not every PC gamer only cares about specs and power. I personally want this because it feels like a spiritual successor to the PSP and PSvita, but without the drawback of being a handheld console

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Valve's Steam Deck is here and since we've had our hands on it, we've discovered several little things - both good and bad - that it can and cannot do.

Here's a round-up of the most unexpected things we discovered during our first few weeks with the Steam Deck. Please take note of the time of publishing, as we've discovered the Steam Deck is constantly evolving and some of these may change in the future.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Video from a guy on Youtube. It's poor quality footage, but good content, so I'm glad he made it. Mario Odyssey is now running 55-60fps on Yuzu with Vulkan+FSR. I'm still Q2 and although I'm jealous of the people who already have them, I'm also happy that I'll be getting a smooth experience thanks to all the initial testing and tweaking that's going on.

Last edited:

Reallink

Are these things actually selling for $1500+, or are people trolling with fake bids? I just got my 256 I had no intention of selling, but triple price is crazy if somebody's stupid/rich enough to pay it.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Phawx with another video, this time it's Halo Infinite MP Game Pass version running on Windows, 95% resolution scale, at ~45fps. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I look forward to buying the next Steam Deck. Especially if there is no portable machine by Playstation.

Id like better battery and slightly better specs, Im there day 1 tbh

rofif

Banned
This is great but looking more at the switch oled... (not used either switch never or this)
-Switch is much smaller(not screen) and lighter
-Switch got 16:9 oled. Not some crap lcd that is... 16:10 wtf.
-You can easily replace controllers on switch... on deck you have to open the thing and source new analog sticks somehow.
-Switch got better battery life
-nintendo games (I dont care)

And that's more/less where it ends.
-Deck is a pc so it's huge library and open. All depends on your settings
-Deck got better audio
-Deck got better controllers/analog sticks/triggers
-Deck got glass screen that is not so easy to scratch

So if I am ever to get a deck2, I would like it to have:
-16:9 oled. 720p is fine. Most important for me.
-vrr
-easier to replace moving parts like sticks
-Dock to be able to connect to monitor/tv to browse and use like a pc

Last edited:

chaseroni

-vrr
Yes to all of the above, make it happen Gabe!
It would be nice to have VRR on Switch 2/Pro also, but I don't see it happening

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This is great but looking more at the switch oled... (not used either switch never or this)
-Switch is much smaller(not screen) and lighter
-Switch got 16:9 oled. Not some crap lcd that is... 16:10 wtf.
-You can easily replace controllers on switch... on deck you have to open the thing and source new analog sticks somehow.
-Switch got better battery life
-nintendo games (I dont care)

And that's more/less where it ends.
-Deck is a pc so it's huge library and open. All depends on your settings
-Deck got better audio
-Deck got better controllers/analog sticks/triggers
-Deck got glass screen that is not so easy to scratch

-vrr
Switch - apple
Steam deck - android

Both have their fans

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
f5emvugx7sf71.gif

The Steam Deck Is Finally here and Yes It's Awesome!
In this video, we take a look at the all-new Valve Steam Deck Hand-Held Gaming PC.
WE do an unboxing, Overview, Go over the Specs, Test some PC games on The Steam Deck like Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite, Elden Ring, Project Cars 2, Doom Eternal, and the New God Of War PC port. And of course, we see how well it handle emulation like PS2 using PCSX2, PSP using Retroarch, and even PS3 using the RPCS3 emulator.
We even test out the built-in KDE Plasma Desktop on the steam deck to see if it could be used as your Everyday PC.