• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Suicide Squad |OT| The Sequelboot

ManaByte

Gold Member
Suicide-Squad-Total-Film-Header.jpg

The government sends the most dangerous supervillains in the world -- Bloodsport, Peacemaker, King Shark, Harley Quinn and others -- to the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese. Armed with high-tech weapons, they trek through the dangerous jungle on a search-and-destroy mission, with only Col. Rick Flag on the ground to make them behave.

In theaters and on HBO Max (Ad-Free plan only).

Do I need to watch anything before this?
No, it's a quasi-reboot set in the same universe. The only thing you need to know is that Harley Quinn and Captain Boomerang know each other from the first Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey. Other than that, you're good.

mcjmetroid

I thought it was rather good. For sure the best DC movie since the Dark Knight Trilogy.

But.. it's still nothing groundbreaking in my opinion. This is about the quality of a higher quality Marvel movie.

it still has that no stakes comic book movie affair.
When you don't know the limits of the characters you cannot get invested in the stakes of a movie.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I give it a solid 5 out of 10. A decently fun saturday morning cartoon romp that is at least far better crafted than the unwatchable 2016 film. Action scenes outside the shark lack impact & are badly edited with constant cuts. At times it feels more like a series of music videos than a film. Sets are put together very well with excellent color artistic direction. Zero of the jokes landed for me, absolutely zero, but the characters are still likable enough by the end for it to not be a big deal.

If you have HBO or wanna see an early matinee I do recommend watching it & giving it a shot.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
1. Lots of fun. Enjoyed the action, comedy, costumes, and general visual style, as well as the twists and turns of the plot.

2. Maybe a tad too long.

3. Harley's Quinn character is completely one-note in these movies. I can't believe the schtick has survived three films. It's just baby-talk and looking aloof/insane.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Fire movie and the UK got it a week early. Still think about it and I saw it a week ago.

"Peacemaker huh? What a joke."

DC got two Ws in the bag this year so far at least between this and the Snydercut.

McCheese

Great film, lots of action and heart, doesn't feel like a traditional superhero movie and falls more into the action adventure genre.

Definitely needs to be watched on a big screen tho.

BaneIsPain

It was good. I like Peacemaker and Bloodsport rivalry. Even Harley isn't really needed in this movie.
Looking forward Peacemaker tv series.

Best DCEU film by a country mile. Gunn is at his peak when he's not shackled by Disney-mandated crap (i.e. CGI-heavy action sequences that make me want to fall asleep every single time) or general executives meddling with his creativity. It's funny, it's dark, it's surprisingly deep at points... it's just damn good stuff.

Also, that 5 minute scene of Harley's "date" was better than the entirety of the Birds of Prey movie.

It's unfortunate that DCEU movies are going to continue being stinkers after this, including The Flash which is written by the BoP writer...

Lastly, I'm glad he's still giving cameos to the man himself:
waN1QtD.jpg

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Loved the bait and switch at the beginning and laughed out loud at some of the visual gags.
Solid 7/10 for me, and such a giant step up from the first.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I liked it.. I think the story itself was pretty bland till the end but everything was very well executed.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Fucking ridiculous.

Loved every minute of it.

Only somebody like Gunn would have the guts to do Starro.

Everything that piece of shit first movie should have been and wasn’t 👏👏

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Much better than the other Suicide Squad movie, but I don’t think I care or am interested anymore after seeing it. I didn’t like the way they did King Shark, the kiaju was fun and I knew that it would let us know that it was a victim too. I did like the Kiaju.
Overall it is a C movie with an A cast that made it B tier.

Lanrutcon

Don't fall for it, guys. If this movie is a success they'll start releasing movies in twos: a shitty first draft and then a slightly less shitty second shot, which then looks decent because we compare it to the first piece of crap.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Much better than the other Suicide Squad movie, but I don’t think I care or am interested anymore after seeing it. I didn’t like the way they did King Shark, the kiaju was fun and I knew that it would let us know that it was a victim too. I did like the Kiaju.
Overall it is a C movie with an A cast that made it B tier.

That wasn't just a Kaiju. That was STARRO THE CONQUERER. The first Justice League villain.

OIP.VIT8ReoBb-8w8M2ltw_qLAHaK1

dorkimoe

I thought it was a good action movie. Bloodsport and Harley were great. I actually enjoyed Kingshark too. Sometimes I wish they would just make this a trilogy so we could feel connected to the characters. Dont know if I would ever watch it again.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I thought it was a good action movie. Bloodsport and Harley were great. I actually enjoyed Kingshark too. Sometimes I wish they would just make this a trilogy so we could feel connected to the characters. Dont know if I would ever watch it again.

Pretty sure WB is delivering a Brinks truck to Gunn to return for a sequel.

Shouta

Much better than the first Suicide Squad and overall fun movie. Only beef is that it took a few detours at odd times but I think they wanted to pace those out to get individual character scenes. 8/10 or so

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
1. Lots of fun. Enjoyed the action, comedy, costumes, and general visual style, as well as the twists and turns of the plot.

2. Maybe a tad too long.

3. Harley's Quinn character is completely one-note in these movies. I can't believe the schtick has survived three films. It's just baby-talk and looking aloof/insane.

Totally agreed. One can just predict how she is going to react/what she is going to say. Its boring and borderline irritating now.

My favorite character was weasel. I mean...yeah he doesnt say anything and isnt in the movie much, but by God was I laughing my ass off at him. The hell is that thing? Goofy looking crazy dog or werewolf or whatever. I was really sad when
it died......kinda

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Totally agreed. One can just predict how she is going to react/what she is going to say. Its boring and borderline irritating now.

My favorite character was weasel. I mean...yeah he doesnt say anything and isnt in the movie much, but by God was I laughing my ass off at him. The hell is that thing? Goofy looking crazy dog or werewolf or whatever. I was really sad when
it died
But
it didn't

Airbus Jr

Banned
This movie is a sequel or soft reboot?

Felt like a sequel to me cos Harley Quin already recognize Rick Flag

Last edited:
Top Bottom