• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Suicide Squad |OT| The Sequelboot

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Amazing that they have done 3 films to try to establish this franchise. Think of all the great cancelled series, and yet this one hets 3 tries.

In any case, the series seems doomed, if James Gunn can’t survive his latest scandal.

That's a complete non story. First, the accusation is against James Euringer, not Gunn. And secondly, "In the lawsuit, the anonymous woman claims that she had a sexual relationship with Euringer from January of 1997 to June of 1999, at which time she was a minor. As reported by Rolling Stone, the relationship began when she was just 15 and Euringer was 17. "

Since when is two teenagers dating called "grooming" and having sex "pedophilia"? These two were a couple for 2 1/2 years and now the anonymous accuser wants to cash in with a court case? Get the fuck out of here.

JCK75

I'm pissed at Gunn after supporting him through his scandal only having him come through and then shit on Gina Carano during her non-scandal..
I hated the first Suicide Squad, I hated Birds of Prey.. always thought Margo Robbie was perfect but was working with shit writing.

I actually really enjoyed myself with this movie.. I love that the shittiest comic characters ended up being the ones I loved the most (I mean god how lovable was Rat Catcher 2?)
I honestly have no complaints.. it was just a good time and I'm glad I saw it.

JCK75

That's a complete non story. First, the accusation is against James Euringer, not Gunn. And secondly, "In the lawsuit, the anonymous woman claims that she had a sexual relationship with Euringer from January of 1997 to June of 1999, at which time she was a minor. As reported by Rolling Stone, the relationship began when she was just 15 and Euringer was 17. "

Since when is two teenagers dating called "grooming" and having sex "pedophilia"? These two were a couple for 2 1/2 years and now the anonymous accuser wants to cash in with a court case? Get the fuck out of here.
God that needs to be considered more, I am so against gross men grooming children but the age difference has to matter.. there is nothing wrong with an 18 year old dating a 16 year old, etc..
I was dating a 17 yo when I was 20 and I'll never apologize for it because she was my best friend for much of my life.

Azurro

Banned
I finally went to the cinema since the lockdowns started, I actually loved it. It felt so good to have a movie to be so bloody, fun, with lovable characters and without any asshole overt political messages. It was so well executed and I have to say I missed movies like this, we need more of this instead of all the awful woke Marvel shit lately.

I might have been in the wrong mood for this last night. It's production is great, the creativity was on point and the actors were all solid but overall I just cannot rate it more than a 6.5/10. It was silly fun but there was too much imbalance leaning into stupid absurdity.

sol_bad

I might have been in the wrong mood for this last night. It's production is great, the creativity was on point and the actors were all solid but overall I just cannot rate it more than a 6.5/10. It was silly fun but there was too much imbalance leaning into stupid absurdity.

I'd give it a 7/10, it started great and ended great but the middle section of the film was quite boring, the pacing was very off.
I'm actually surprised that I enjoy the GOTG films more than this because this is Gunn doing what he wants to do and not being held back. I assumed it would have been even funnier than the GOTG films but many jokes in The Suicide Squad fell flat form me.

I'd give it a 7/10, it started great and ended great but the middle section of the film was quite boring, the pacing was very off.
I'm actually surprised that I enjoy the GOTG films more than this because this is Gunn doing what he wants to do and not being held back. I assumed it would have been even funnier than the GOTG films but many jokes in The Suicide Squad fell flat form me.
I often think having someone there to just reign things in a little is a good thing. Often amazing design and end result comes from constraints. I agree with you Gunn was given total control to go for it.

YCoCg

Finally got to see this at the cinema, how does Gunn do it, he takes the C/D-List characters and somehow makes an entertaining flick. Was nice to get that R rating, this film handled it well, one moment that at least felt "real" because of it was when Bloodsport was about to fall and the increasing "Fuck, ....Fuck, ...OH FUCK OFF!" which felt genuine.

Alcibiades

Saw this twice in theaters, once in Dolby and once in DBox.

Loved it. Although I enjoyed the first as well, this one was better. I love the whole regular people VS gods/super-powered beings theme so I really enjoyed the ending. I remember loving that about the first one - seeing Harley go face-to-face with Enchantress. Reminded me of Akira's regular human VS a god, or more recently The Boys having regular dudes up against superheroes.

In some ways, this seemed a lot like the first, but better made (thinking of all the pop-music embedded scenes). My favorite scene is probably the Harley escape. Funny and artistic at the same time. I don't get why they tried to distance this one from the first one. Yeah, that one was poorly received by online audiences and critics, but general audiences enjoyed it (based on cinema score and incredible box office legs). The reception at the screenings I went to for the first movie people really seemed to enjoy it.

I think trying to be both a fresh start for people that didn't like the first one, and a followup for people that did, doesn't make sense. This is obviously a sequel that exists in the DCEU universe - the same one Snyder movies, Shazam!, Aquaman, etc... take place in. What is so wrong with being up front that the movie takes place in that universe but is a different approach? They got too cute trying to market this as a reboot and instead confused people with the title that made it seem like this was a re-release.

Top Bottom