• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is now the third biggest animated movie ever, behind only Frozen and Frozen 2.

Nautilus

Banned
Still waiting to see it. Couldn't be arsed going to the cinema to see it. I'll catch it whenever I can rent it online to stream.

a live action zelda would fucking suck.

it has to be animated and have similiar visuals to BOTW/TOTK.

iu
I do think that's the approach Nintendo will take with Zelda, given the popularity of BOTW and TOTK.(And now that the Mario Movie is a gigantic success, a Zelda movie/anime/tv show is certainly happening)

Doom85

iu

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

It’s not necessarily that it would be bad for it to have that art style, but there are a ton of Zelda games with different art styles prior to BOTW. I don’t like this idea that the visuals HAVE to be like the two newest games. Let whichever animation studio gets it cook, don’t force an art style on them.

Hell, while they probably wouldn’t do a big IP adaptation, I mentioned in another thread that a solid Zelda film by Studio Laika would slap (look at how dark they are willing to go with Coraline, Paranorman, and Kubo and the Two Strings). Yes, the art style would be unique from other Zelda games, but given how often they change styles, it fits with the franchise.

Regardless, let’s be real, it’s going to be a major US animation studio, I’m thinking Dreamworks is the likely bet (Illumination writers’ brains would explode from writing anything remotely serious), and it’s not going to be THAT close to the BOTW art style even if they use some of the character designs. Anyone hoping for an anime adaptation (at least as the first adaptation, I could see one happening later) is going to be disappointed, everything about the Mario movie was playing it as safe as humanly possible to maximize profit, I doubt Nintendo is going to alter that for Zelda by much. Yes, anime has gotten a LOT more closer to full on mainstream over the years, just look at the Demon Slayer film (an anime film grossing 50 million in the US seemed like a pipe dream a decade ago), but it’s still not at Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks/Illumination/etc. levels of mainstream.

And honestly, if they adapt a specific entry instead of an original story, I think Twilight Princess is the best bet for an actual solid film. Having Midna around Link for most of the story gives him someone to talk to in dungeon sections and the like. This is unless they adapt a game and alter the story to have someone, Zelda or someone else, by his side throughout most of the journey. I don’t think TP is the one they will adapt, but it would be what I wish for.

Puscifer

Deserved.

Perfect movie for kids, just a fun ride for the family, something Disney and Hollywood don’t care about anymore cuz woke propaganda is more important.

Exactly what I thought. I watched it last night and wasn't exactly blown away but it was enjoyable and the worst I can say about it is that it was ready player one levels of Member berries and it annoyed me that it was like "REMEMBER THAT YOU COULD DO THIS!?"

But ya know what I liked about it even more? That I wasn't being told how to think or that I was some kind phobe or ism, or they told a great story till the last minute like Batman to tell me something about privilege (which was the last straw for me)

So ya know what? I'm here for it and want MORE. The more shit like guardians flop and the more Top Guns and Mario's that explode past expectations and get people back into the theater I'm ALL for it.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t like this idea that the visuals HAVE to be like the two newest games
I don’t think it has much to do with them being the latest games but rather popularity/range.

The best selling game in the franchise post BotW/ToTK was TP with 8M copies. Now they’ve sold 30M+ of BotW and are looking to sell a similar amount with ToTK which broke 10M in less than 3 days.. The difference in exposure is humongous. Doubt they’d throw that out the window and go back to something like TP for a movie.

Doom85

I don’t think it has much to do with them being the latest games but rather popularity/range.

The best selling game in the franchise post BotW/ToTK was TP with 8M copies. Now they’ve sold 30M+ of BotW and are looking to sell a similar amount with ToTK which broke 10M in less than 3 days.. The difference in exposure is humongous. Doubt they’d throw that out the window and go back to something like TP for a movie.

Oh, I doubt it either. Like I said, it’s very unlikely they’ll adapt TP. But in terms of art style, it doesn’t have to be BOTW. If they use the story, or even just the character designs, that won’t surprise me, but the specific art style seems unlikely. And I doubt Nintendo would demand whichever animation studio they go with to use it, they know BOTW’s sales success was due to a lot more factors over the art style.

And again, a Zelda anime could happen, but it’s a safe bet a western animated film will be given priority. Their IPs getting an anime treatment first would be certain IPs that might be less mainstream compared to Mario and Zelda (I could see stuff like Fire Emblem and Splatoon getting anime, for example, hell the latter already has a manga series).

Robb

Gold Member
But in terms of art style, it doesn’t have to be BOTW. If they use the story, or even just the character designs, that won’t surprise me, but the specific art style seems unlikely. And I doubt Nintendo would demand whichever animation studio they go with to use it, they know BOTW’s sales success was due to a lot more factors over the art style.
Yeah I agree. Although I wouldn’t put it past Nintendo to demand something like that. To me they seem cumbersome to work with in regards to micromanaging stuff when it comes to their IP.

I think this may be because people want to catch the train of wanting to watch a trainwreck. Why else would Finding Dory be that high?

Laieon

Still waiting to see it. Couldn't be arsed going to the cinema to see it. I'll catch it whenever I can rent it online to stream.

a live action zelda would fucking suck.

iu

Everyone else: I want a Ghibli-esque Zelda movie.

Me: I want a Saturday Morning Cartoon-esque Wind Waker movie.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Finally watched this over the weekend. Copped the UHD version on Prime for $13. I thought it was fucking wonderful. Such a normal wholesome family fun experience simply celebrating decades of Mario. No political bullshit. No hidden messages. It reminded me a lot of Disney stuff from 30 years ago. Even boss bitch Peach didn't get under my skin since she's been a competently written and assertive character since Thousand Year Door. Spotting all of the easter eggs was practically a game in and of itself. Was there anything Metroid or Zelda related that I missed? I figured since Kid Icarus was there that they mightve hidden one of the others.

The only thing that really felt out of place were the licensed songs (aside from No Sleep Til Brooklyn during that 2D segment). I wouldve totally been down with it being a semi musical adding more silly songs like "Peaches" (and that scene had me rollin).

10/10 give me the sequel in Sub Con.

Also, funny that we get two movies this year based on two of the biggest pieces of childrens entertainment and while Barbie is smothered in propaganda, good ol Mario stays normal.

And Nintendo stays winning :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
not sure how, but can someone explain how this is possible?
in germany, super mario bros only had like 3-6weeks screentime in cinemas and was quickly out.
i remember, when titanic was released the movie was in cinema for months...
so how does the math add up?

in germany, super mario bros only had like 3-6weeks screentime in cinemas and was quickly out.

Huh? Didn’t Titanic come out in 1997? I don’t understand what is being compared here

The third biggest animated movie surpassed ticket sales of the Titanic voyage in 1912, even adjusted for inflation. How!?

Just like with big AAA games, the middle of the market has been wiped out by mega blockbusters. So the biggest movies do better than ever, but there’s no audience for mid-tier movies. It’s all concentrated at the top. Mario was just the perfect storm at the perfect time. 🤷‍♂️

Diddy X

Not hard to make a successful mario movie if you add enough references but movie was trash as a whole, critics are not wrong.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
It’s crazy. Titanic is still my favorite animated movie ever.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Nintendo made a fan with this movie. My 4 year old is all about Mario and Peach now. I started her playing Mario 3D World on the Wii U, and now she wants to go to Universal Studios to go to the Mario World. Luckily we live in So-Cal, so it’s an easy trip for us. We’ll go when it’s not so damn hot.

Last edited:

Corian33

Can’t argue with success, but I was disappointed with the movie. There really is no plot or character development at all. It just races from scene to scene then it’s over. And before you say “It’s a kids movie hurr durr.” There are dozens of kids movies that are entertaining while telling real stories with characters and emotional arcs.

Within this movie you potentially have the brothers angle, the disapproving father, and the anti-damsel in distress. The movie does literally nothing with any of these setups.

Visually amazing though, no doubt about that.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I don't think many doubted the power this movie had with making money. But man do I wish I enjoyed the movie more than I did. It had some neat and fun things to look at, but other than that it just felt so shallow and passionless to me. Sure, there were Easter Eggs and what not, but just because those were present didn't make the film feel like it came from a place of love. It just felt like a cash grab to me by the end of it. In just a few hours after seeing it I had forgotten so much about it. It was a shame.

Not looking forward to the sequels and other Nintendo films that will very likely be in the same vein. Random pop culture soundtracks and all, lol. (That part really irked me when there's SO MUCH original music within the IP that could be beautifully done. But nah, let's just throw no sleep till Brooklyn here, cause they're in Brooklyn, get it?!)

Last edited:

Vandole

Box office habits were different back then. By and large, even the major blockbusters weren't quite the events that they have since become. Movies didn't get $100 million weekends. Most movies weren't doing Thursday night openings. It was rare for more than two screens in a single theater to be dedicated to one movie. I think that changed when The Phantom Menace came out.

Anyway, Titanic was making somewhere between 16 and 20 million dollars a week, and it kept doing that week after week after week, but never doing more than that. But those were also enough to make it the number one movie at the box office most weekends, so they were keeping it around.

Perfect movie for kids, just a fun ride for the family, something Disney and Hollywood don’t care about anymore cuz woke propaganda is more important.
I only have seen snippets but isn't there also a scene where Mario has to train and fails quite often, typical man having to earn his skills in a dorky loser way (making fun of men is easy and allowed cause we can take it), while Peach proudly nailed it first try because reasons, ie. she grew up there and that makes her somehow superior to him (and making fun of her would not be possible because they can't take it).
That's basically the same stuff what many critisize in modern movies and remakes that change key features of character development, using this woke view of man being portrayed as weak but funny dorks, and females as flawless heroes, putting women on pedestals and avoiding male masculinity at all cost because that is toxic by default.
(sort of feels the same as "She's everything. He is just Ken." which is of course just funny but equally sounds easily misandric. But same as with the Mario movie I haven't seen that either, so no idea how either is actually in their full contexts.)

Zannegan

Can’t argue with success, but I was disappointed with the movie. There really is no plot or character development at all. It just races from scene to scene then it’s over. And before you say “It’s a kids movie hurr durr.” There are dozens of kids movies that are entertaining while telling real stories with characters and emotional arcs.

Within this movie you potentially have the brothers angle, the disapproving father, and the anti-damsel in distress. The movie does literally nothing with any of these setups.

Oh, I don't know.

I agree that the movie rushes from setpiece to setpiece which makes it feel pretty disjointed (at least to a generation not raised on TikTok, God help us). But the brothers angle was explored pretty thoroughly, I thought. One, who had always been the hero, found himself unable to live up to the title without help. The other, who had always been portrayed as weak, turned out to be the rescuer when it mattered. The point seemed to be more about a shift in perception/shaking off a role than growing into one. The brothers realized they were more than the labels they'd been living under. Peach is absolutely one-note, but I liked that her "strength" came from cleverly playing with the rules of the world rather than innate badassery (at least in key story moments).

I see your point about character arcs, and I wouldn't mind the sequel slowing things down and fleshing its story out rather than being another roller coaster ride, but I thought the Mario Movie was a solid first effort... then again, my expectations were so low ever since that ludicrously star-studded cast was announced, that anything decent was a pleasant surprise.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Eh the movie was more about saving Brooklyn and then Luigi. I thought it was a good movie and not all movies need to have a very deep story. Mario has never been about a deep narrative. It was charming cute and the ones that enjoy it the most are the ones that love the Mario franchise. For everyone else it's hit or miss.

Hudo

I think they should try their hands on a Metroid movie. It would also silence all the feminazis as well.

Best thing about Other M was the commercial:

Nintendo would work with Ghibli on that.
The problem with Ghibli is who would direct it? Miyazaki is working on "How do you Live?" and arguably has reached an age where it is questionable whether he'd live through another project. Takahata is already gone (RIP, Princess Kaguya was brilliant) and Suzuki is more of a producer than a director.

Rran

The problem with Ghibli is who would direct it? Miyazaki is working on "How do you Live?" and arguably has reached an age where it is questionable whether he'd live through another project. Takahata is already gone (RIP, Princess Kaguya was brilliant) and Suzuki is more of a producer than a director.
Yeah, Ghibli does have a real successor problem currently; it's up in the air whether Miyazaki will stick around. It's too bad about Takahata and Kondo (who did the excellent Whisper of the Heart).

Toons

Banned
Exactly what I thought. I watched it last night and wasn't exactly blown away but it was enjoyable and the worst I can say about it is that it was ready player one levels of Member berries and it annoyed me that it was like "REMEMBER THAT YOU COULD DO THIS!?"

But ya know what I liked about it even more? That I wasn't being told how to think or that I was some kind phobe or ism, or they told a great story till the last minute like Batman to tell me something about privilege (which was the last straw for me)

So ya know what? I'm here for it and want MORE. The more shit like guardians flop and the more Top Guns and Mario's that explode past expectations and get people back into the theater I'm ALL for it.

Lol this didn't age well.
6XrR85s.jpg

Top 5 films of the summer.

It’s a kids movie hurr durr.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like Mario but I much more in to playing them rather watching because these games biggest selling point is gameplay rather than its story.

In opposite with One Piece, even tho I'm big fan of franchise, I never liked their games.

Neff

I watched it last week, it was ok, nothing special. A fairly engaging way to waste an hour and a half and not much more. Some of it was sweet and genuinely fun. Some of it was lame and/or cringe as fuck. Peach was annoying. I could easily list 20-30 better animated movies.

Top Bottom