• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Lite review thread (Nintendo Vita)

-Arcadia-

Banned
Don't think so. It's literally an Nvidia Shield in a different shell. Not really impressive.

Shield TV. This is the first time the hardware has been in handheld, non-console box plugged in form, outside of one of Google's Pixel tablets, which sold for a lot more, and was much larger.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Using the switch lite as an handheld
Makes my old switch feel clunky AF.

That thing is only used for friends now.
And docked mode.
Like the madcatz controllers in the past

-Arcadia-

Banned
And the other consoles are? PS4/XB1 are made of stripped down PC hardware. Try harder.

Laptop parts, even. :messenger_grimmacing_

Not that I love my PS4’s technical capability any less (closed systems and bespoke development go a long way), but if we’re to play this game, it can be played with any of the consoles.

-Arcadia-

Banned

And docked mode.

I have to agree to some extent. The Lite is incredibly elegant.

That said, I also still use and enjoy the regular Switch in portable mode. I do like the big screen, versatility, and HD Rumble.

I’d really like to see a revision for the regular Switch that brings it a bit more in line with the Lite in aesthetics and weight (this is a big one). They can’t shrink the thing without breaking the entire Joy-Con versatility system, but I do think it’s due for a refresh.

MagnesG

Banned
I actually like HD Rumble when done right, so the exclusion is a bit disappointing. Feel like the tech will only get better down the line.

Spukc

Really? Hd rumble has been rather annoying in most games honestly 🤔
Esp when it tried to mimics sound.
Pre patch golf story & that snake game..

Yikes

-Arcadia-

Banned
I love it, as long as developers don’t phone it in by converting existing rumble and calling it a day.

Super Mario Odyssey is a prime example. There’s so many unique, great feeling effects there, and even a sense of ‘surround space’, basically meaning that when it comes to things like the Odyssey’s idling engines, the closer you are to them, you’ll feel them more, and more in the respective Joy-Con that matches which side of Mario is closer to them.

I find it a leap over rumble, with the caveat that effects can sometimes feel buzzy and ‘metallic’, if that makes any sense.

Dizzan

MINI Member
My switch lite arrives tomorrow. Haven't owned a Nintendo system since the Wii. I bought Donkey kong tropical freeze and will download Zelda and odyssey. I bought a 32gb SD card.

Any suggestions on what else to pick up?

Tarin02543

My switch lite arrives tomorrow. Haven't owned a Nintendo system since the Wii. I bought Donkey kong tropical freeze and will download Zelda and odyssey. I bought a 32gb SD card.

Any suggestions on what else to pick up?

Virtua Racing from the e-shop

cireza

Banned
I only recommend good games that run well, that's how I am.

Valkyria Chronicles 4. God Eater 3 as well. They run great and are great fun.

Doom 3 runs very well on the console, much better than the blurry "current gen" FPS.

Dead Cells and Sonic Mania. Virtua Racing is fantastic as well, runs like a dream.

Chaos Code which was recently released is my recommended 2D fighting game on the console. And for 3D, ARMS is a great game.

Catherine Full Body will be released in July and is awesome.

Last edited:

BlackTron

And docked mode.

I agree the Lite is a better handheld, but the Switch's save management kills this for me. I still want to be able to play the same game on the TV when I choose. Syncing the saves like Steam would be best. Less good, but passable would be the ability to move saves via USB drives or something. We have the worst case scenario where you can only move everything from one system to another as a one-time project.

I would run out and buy a Lite instantly if I could carry my handheld gaming to the TV using my OG Switch. Lacking this feature flies in the face of the Switch brand.

MagnesG

Banned
I agree the Lite is a better handheld, but the Switch's save management kills this for me. I still want to be able to play the same game on the TV when I choose. Syncing the saves like Steam would be best. Less good, but passable would be the ability to move saves via USB drives or something. We have the worst case scenario where you can only move everything from one system to another as a one-time project.

I would run out and buy a Lite instantly if I could carry my handheld gaming to the TV using my OG Switch. Lacking this feature flies in the face of the Switch brand.
Technically you could for some games using NSO cloud.

Spukc

you can dude with almost all games.

Spukc

Can you explain this? I thought carrying a save from one Switch system to another one was a real process.

you can select a game and just click upload to cloud. (you need a NSO) or send file to local switch wireless.
it's pretty good actually.

besides the absolute BS of it not working on some games. But almost all my games work., (i own about 60 games)

Top Bottom