• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Lite review thread (Nintendo Vita)

DESTROYA

Vita means life. Also goddamn Vita is so beautiful. If the backplate was switched out with two buttons for triggers, then it'd be the perfect handheld console. That and if it had a bit better support in terms of games.
It’s funny you say that, I just found my VITA last week after clearing out some stuff around the house and it had MG HD collection in it and man does it look great on the VITA OLED screen. Still works great after updating and glad I kept it.
Love the Lite but if SONY ever considered making another handheld I’d be very happy.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think it's fair to list. It's still got the "Switch" naming, and a lot of people who haven't been keeping up with the details aren't going to know that it does not connect to a TV. It is a Switch that does not Switch.
It's more than fair. No reason they couldn't have an HDMI out.

PocoJoe

Banned
Its really really time Sony made a new handheld...........
It’s funny you say that, I just found my VITA last week after clearing out some stuff around the house and it had MG HD collection in it and man does it look great on the VITA OLED screen. Still works great after updating and glad I kept it.
Love the Lite but if SONY ever considered making another handheld I’d be very happy.

Indeed, I drooled long time for Vita and really liked after I got it.

Too bad it didnt get real support, like GTA and other bigger games.

Havent seen vita games anywhere in ages ( I go trough flee markets almost daily) and it is hard to collect, but I still managed to get 20-30 physical games. Even those are cool as those tiny cases are so nice.

Sony could make superior hand held compared to switch if they wanted to, because they are not scared of making custom SoC and using real "premium" stuff like OLED, instead of making it as slow&cheap as possible but sell it for premium price like Nintendo usually does.

I would guess that Vita 2 released in 2020 could be 3-5x more powerful than switch with 1080p oled screen = that would be nice

PocoJoe

Banned
I have giant gorrila hands, would I be better off going with a normal switch?

Probably, but even normal switch is fucking painful to play as handheld even with normal man hands. They just forgot to add any ergonomics in the thing. (Same with vita, vita+handle-extension thingy were nice but without it just too painful)

Ten_Fold

The switch lite+Pokémon this holiday will sell like crazy. I prefer the regular switch, but if I had kids or only wanted a portable system for travel I would go with the Lite.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Depends on what boatloads means.
I'm curious how many 3DS owners are really going to make the jump over to the Switch, since they're used to paying $39.00 (USD) for Nintendo's first party games.
If, or really when, Nintendo decides to focus most of their first party effort on Switch, which they inevitably are going to do at some point, this is not going to a concern. If people want Nintendo titles eventually the will need a Switch.

DarkestHour

Banned
Has it been determined yet if I can play my digital games on both my Switch and Switch Lite or do I have to have two separate accounts and pay double for everything?

PSFan

Has it been determined yet if I can play my digital games on both my Switch and Switch Lite or do I have to have two separate accounts and pay double for everything?

You can play on both, just not at the same time. I am in the process of setting up my Lite now, and am currently downloading my digital games to it as well as my NES and SNES apps.

DarkestHour

Banned
You can play on both, just not at the same time. I am in the process of setting up my Lite now, and am currently downloading my digital games to it as well as my NES and SNES apps.

Lame. Thanks for confirming. No sense in buying it if my kids can't use both.

PSFan

Well, I'm not sure but you may be able to play two different games. Like say playing Cuphead on one and at the same time Yooka Laylee on the other if both games are tied to your account. I think I'll experiment a bit later.

My Lite is going to be my dedicated handheld and my regular Switch will be a dedicated TV console now. So this works perfect for me.

Only complaint I have so far (and its pretty significant) is the fact that to play downloaded items, it needs an internet connection, which isn’t always available. My account is tied to two switches and every time I play something it tries to connect online.

FStubbs

Only complaint I have so far (and its pretty significant) is the fact that to play downloaded items, it needs an internet connection, which isn’t always available. My account is tied to two switches and every time I play something it tries to connect online.

That's huge. I don't even think the original Switch requires that.

ChuyMasta

I had to create a new account for my child. He was on the youtube app on his switch lite using my account, then I turned on my original switch on tv mode, signed in with the same account and launched smash bros.

The game didnt load and he saw a suspencion message on his switch.

So, theres that. Hopefully creating and linking his account to mine as his parent will help with the situation.

Animagic

Banned
Setting up my wife’s Switch Lite. This user transfer setup is so 2006.

We should be able to sign her into the new system and everything is right there. I guess google and Apple have spoiled me in this regard.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Setting up my wife’s Switch Lite. This user transfer setup is so 2006.

We should be able to sign her into the new system and everything is right there. I guess google and Apple have spoiled me in this regard.
I mean other consoles have easy transfers as well. (even the vita)

ExpandKong

Banned
My Lite is going to be my dedicated handheld and my regular Switch will be a dedicated TV console now. So this works perfect for me.

For as bad as Nintendo seems to be at marketing they sure succeeded at making one system that does two things and then convincing people to buy two anyway.

Codes 208

Im pretty sure that applies to the og switch as well if you have your account on multiple systems. Hell, thats how it works on ps4 and xbox as well.

MagnesG

Banned
You sorta can, with primary, non-primary account trick. Even with online stuff you can use a different account on the primary-tied system then voila both can be online at the same time.

The only caveat is the non-primary account must be online at all times to access any digital content.

Im pretty sure that applies to the og switch as well if you have your account on multiple systems. Hell, thats how it works on ps4 and xbox as well.
Next time I’m out and about I’ll see if a quick hotspot from my phone will suffice. This morning it wouldn’t let me access my DLC on Smash due to no internet. Also, yes I hear this is an issue for families that have more than one switch, not just the lite.

I can't believe Nintendo made this and not Switch PRO. :messenger_neutral:

Putting out something new for $400, which is what it would take for that to happen, doesn't seem very Nintendo. (Wii U was a minor outlier, and $100 of that $350 was on the tablet.)

Not sure if Nintendo is ever going to be up for a home only unit again. Their collected play preference data skews handheld.

By the way, what's the best carrying case for the Lite?

Last edited:

McRazzle

I can't believe Nintendo made this and not Switch PRO. :messenger_neutral:
There's one in the works.
Wall Street Journal quoted a SHARP executive saying they were making IGZO displays for "Nintendo's new game machines".
And, there's no IGZO display in the Switch Lite according to Spawn Wave.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mF3hsaZviUU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DiscoJer

Got mine today. All in all it's pretty slick, but I think there's a flaw. Presumably it exists with the regular Switch as well, but perhaps made worse with the Lite's smaller scree. Some text is just too damn small to read. There's a zoom feature, but it's very clunky to have to zoom in to read something and then turn it off.

DiscoJer

Was sold out at my local gamestop.

I was the first one to buy one at the Walmart where I work (at about 1 pm). When I left, we had apparently sold another. But that's 1 more than Mini Genesises (only sold one).

Granted, we have like zero advertising in store for it. (Heck, the sign by the entrance is advertising Days Gone, from April)

Last edited:
I was about to buy one yesterday until I discovered at the last minute that there is no built in Bluetooth 5.0 support for headphones, and the best adapter appears to be $50. By the time I got that, an SD card, and a few games, I'd be near $400. Then I started looking into the possibility of Oculus Quest + Virtual Desktop + Shadow PC, literally being the first to disturb the fuck out of people by sitting in the corner of a 5G coffee shop taking a break to play games (or getting trolled out as someone "accidentally" spills their drink on me), but the battery life is said to realistically be only 2 hours. Then I ran out of stamina and decided I'm cool just using my phone. I guess the right product for me isn't here yet, but portable VR is coming and it is exciting AF.

FMXVII

I was about to buy one yesterday until I discovered at the last minute that there is no built in Bluetooth 5.0 support for headphones, and the best adapter appears to be $50. By the time I got that, an SD card, and a few games, I'd be near $400. Then I started looking into the possibility of Oculus Quest + Virtual Desktop + Shadow PC, literally being the first to disturb the fuck out of people by sitting in the corner of a 5G coffee shop taking a break to play games (or getting trolled out as someone "accidentally" spills their drink on me), but the battery life is said to realistically be only 2 hours. Then I ran out of stamina and decided I'm cool just using my phone. I guess the right product for me isn't here yet, but portable VR is coming and it is exciting AF.

My N3DS is still going strong.

Legible fonts, too.

Caffeine

they had the oppurtunity to fix that joycon drift, I dont think these new analog sticks will alleviate it. after like 400 hours of play your gonna be switching them out yourself or sending the whole switch lite to nintendo.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Picked mine up. Awesome portable.

There seems to be a lot of fanboy battling on Gaf, hilariously between Lite fans and Switch fans. Are we not all the same family?! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

All I have to say, is that in either form, you’ve got a fantastic device.

The Lite represents a small, totally cute, portable package, but also the most power we’ve ever seen from a mainstream portable. The Switch is more like a small gaming tablet, with unprecedented versatility for play.

Either way, whichever device fits you or your budget best, you’re getting a kickass product. I wasn’t sure that was going to be the case for the Lite, that it would feel stripped down. Happy to say it doesn’t.

Last edited:
Top Bottom