• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Top 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time (IMO)

HeelPower

Nice variety of genres, I've never seen a top 100 list with such.

Impressive work overall

This why I respect and enjoy this list.

Op seems extremely well versed across different genres,different platforms and different eras of games.

Its seems to be a very personal and unpredictable list.

Good stuff.

Trails in the Sky in at a respectable #43

h2xcHlE.png

Seriously though, this is a very diverse list in a field that usually hews to a very format or two-generation aligned swing. I like that. Haters stop yer yappin' and get to clappin'.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mission Improbable
MINERVA: Metastasis
Research and Development

Three Half-Life 2 mods that I will shill in every Half-Life thread because they perfectly encapsulate what makes HL2 good and even surpass HL2 arguably.

Opt1kon_

while I don't fully agree with your list OP It opened my eyes to so many different games I literally would have never heard of, i'll definitely be checking out some of these games

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Only one of my top ten games with a one per franchise rule:
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Zelda Skyward Sword
Sonic Generations
Pikmin 3
Super Monkey Ball
Fire Emblem Fates Conquest
F-Zero X
Banjo-Kazooie
Metroid Prime

made it into your top 100, thus this list is total shit.

Just kidding (not about my top ten though!), great work, I'll read through it. You must have put a fuckton of time and thought into this. I'll try to comment on those games that I also know from your list, but not now, because I need to go to bed (I had to correct three things in this short posting: knot, know and korrect... I must really be tired :D)

Ein Bear

I disagree with a huge proportion of the list, but I have to applaud the OP for the effort that went into this. Everyone has their own opinions, and these were incredibly well thought out and interesting to read.

Also made me want to seek out a few choice games I've never played before, so thank you!

Lynx_7

I appreciate these personal, singular lists more than some compilation of the best critically/fan received titles of all time with OOT usually locked at number 1. These lists have their use if you want to add some (very well known) games to your backlog but once you've seen one you've seem them all (with some positions changing here and there), and they rarely add much to the discussion.

I don't personally relate to a lot of the OP's list, but I appreciate the effort he put into it. Specially considering how after the top 5 or 10 the line starts to kind of blur and a lot of positions become interchangeable. I have a similar list of mine and anything outside of the top 13 or so is mostly arbitrary and keeps changing positions depending on my mood.

Interesting list OP

Not my taste but you clearly play way more games than I do. I do think there are some odd picks for the best of particular franchises though - you seem to often favour the newer over the best at their particular time

No Team ICO though?

Great write-ups, very enjoyable to read. Will go back to this thread in the following days and read more carefully, I'm sure I'll discover some gems.

From the games I do know, I agree with about you about half of the time. But I do respect your opinion on each of them.

Great job!

wildfire

Banned
Resident Evil 4 - While I remember enjoying this game a lot upon release, I haven't played it in over a decade. So I can't really judge its quality.

Wait.

Are you implying you replayed some of the games that made the list just to make sure it belonged? If so, how many games did you replay before finishing up this article?

Cloud7

I don't agree with Final Fantasy VII being that low (51) but I respect the hell out of your statement on it. Too many people do hate on it to be cool. It deserves tons of respect for what it did for the industry. Thank you. Great read overall RE: your list.

Zasa

Love your writing style & the effort you put into this OP, looking forward to seeing the rest!

Edit: Finished reading the rest, very interesting list & definitely agree with your #1 pick. Also nice to see The Witcher 3 so high. Great read.

Poppincaps

Neo Member
First of all respect to you for putting in this much effort into your list.

But god damn if Half Life 2 isn't the most overrated game of all time. I played it for the first time in 2012 and walked away thinking, "Meh that was pretty good." Only to see if win Game of the Decade awards and shit. I also played Ocarina of Time for the first time that year and could completely understand why people rank it so highly (even if I don't agree personally).

Ravenholm and the part where you get a suped up Gravity Gun are the only great parts of that game.

If someone wants to explain to me why everyone loves the game so much, feel free.

xviper

you did an amazing effort OP

that was a weird list, and i total respect that, different from the generic lists you see with only popular games on top

have you played Shadow of the colossus or Demon's souls ? if you haven't then you MUST

SugarDave

Top effort, OP

Shit taste, OP.

Just kidding! :p Although there are some glaring omissions. You've convinced me to take a look at a fair few games so good work on the write-ups.

Fbh

Well,l I clicked on this thread expecting little more than a list and then a bunch of other people posting their own list.

While we clearly have a different taste, I have to say I'm impressed OP.
Great job doing this

Don't be that guy.

It's true, though. When Morrowind came out, the internet was full of people decrying it as the "selling out" of the Elder Scrolls series; that piles of people who played Morrowind didn't even know that "Morrowind" wasn't its full title, and that there were two previous "Elder Scrolls" games; etc. Basically, that Morrowind brought in a whole bunch of "casual" players who weren't even aware of the other Elder Scrolls games.

Wensih

Wonderful list. It's a great reminder of games in my backlog that I need to go through and an even greater highlighter of games that should be on my radar.

Edit: running back through I've played 35% of the games listed.

Nev

Banned
Sorry, but what a complete joke of a list. "I haven't properly played RE4 so whatever. Skullgirlz!!". Good one.

A list without SotC, ICO, RE4 or BB with things Dance Dance Revolution, "Blade Symphony" or Wii Sports is probably one of the biggest insults to gaming as a whole I've ever witnessed. Congrats on the feat I guess.

Commendable dedication though and good for you for enjoying driving through sewers from one forgettable arena to another with loading times interrupting every 5 minutes so much.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So much work put into this. Good effort, OP! Really appreciated reading through this, and the unique lineup of games was refreshing.

Has anyone compiled just the list?

To be honest, I don't really agree with your Top Ten at all - except for Jet Grind Radio, which was a super nice surprise.

Did I miss Majora's Mask, Halo(s), and/or Final Fantasy IX?

As someone who has both games in his top ten of all time, even I balked at Life is Strange (eighth in my top ten) ahead of The Last of Us (favourite game ever).

But I can't fault the effort put in. Good job, OP.

First of all respect to you for putting in this much effort into your list.

But god damn if Half Life 2 isn't the most overrated game of all time. I played it for the first time in 2012 and walked away thinking, "Meh that was pretty good." Only to see if win Game of the Decade awards and shit. I also played Ocarina of Time for the first time that year and could completely understand why people rank it so highly (even if I don't agree personally).

Ravenholm and the part where you get a suped up Gravity Gun are the only great parts of that game.

If someone wants to explain to me why everyone loves the game so much, feel free.
Games that have been imitated to oblivion like the Half Life series will always age more noticeably than those that haven't. Even now Zelda games don't have many direct clones

HL2 was amazing at the time because of its incredible world, atmosphere and set pieces al of which were a massive leap forward in 2004. It was also incredibly innovative being one of the first games to use a full world physics system, and still stands as one of the best uses of integrating physics into gameplay

Of course the HL template is an easy one to copy and many aspects that made it far ahead of anything War at the time don't stand out anymore

Crayolan

I don't agree with your list at all, but I can respect the sheer diversity of games you've played and the effort you put into this list. Nice to see No More Heroes, Mother 3, and Skullgirls rank so highly.

Good job OP...disagree a lot, specially TLOU being overrated, I feel like gameplay focused players really can't appreciate the nuaisce and technical skills associated with good story telling and voice acting, but whatever. As a person who loves games like Life is strange and TLoU and still put in 500+ hours in Street Fighter, 100% twitch platformers and action games, I genuinely appreciate both.

Griss

I thought SMT IV was one of the worst games I've played in the last 10 years. Legitmately. Waste of my time and money, I'd give it one star out of five. Maybe two.

And Half Life 2? Boring and overrated, doesn't hold up today with its reliance on physics to 'wow' the player in lieu of any kind of decent level design. Crap silent protag, poor story and horrible cliffhanger endings don't add much to the mix.

Absolutely amazing how different opinions can be.

Top Bottom