• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Top 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time (IMO)

The Hermit

Kid Icarus in a top 10

*Salutes*

This time I won't criticise what's missing, but praise what's been included.

Shin Megani tensei IV is a surprise. It's the only 3DS game Ive still haven't even begun

As much as I loved SMT iv, I'm curious why you'd choose it over apocalypse given that I feel like it was an improvement over 4 in pretty much every way imaginable (I could see an atmosphere arguement I guess)

Great list. Shows a super varied tastes and a huge amount of gaming history. Though I also wonder why super metroid isn't on it, even in the appendices

You sure got a lot of 3ds and Wii games on that list.

And missing, among others, Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Zelda 3, Super Metroid, SOTN, Goldeneye,

Sorry, but what a complete joke of a list. "I haven't properly played RE4 so whatever. Skullgirlz!!". Good one.

A list without SotC, ICO, RE4 or BB with things Dance Dance Revolution, "Blade Symphony" or Wii Sports is probably one of the biggest insults to gaming as a whole I've ever witnessed. Congrats on the feat I guess.

Commendable dedication though and good for you for enjoying driving through sewers from one forgettable arena to another with loading times interrupting every 5 minutes so much.

Lol. There is no need to be upset. I don't like a number of games in his list, or games you'd find in just about any top xx list for that matter, but everyone is free to have an opinion.

lt519

OP you've inspired me to go through every system I've ever owned (or a sibling owned) and rate each game on a quick gut feel. I'm through N64 and haven't touched Playstation yet and I'm at over 150 games. I've quickly tagged 43 games worthy of Top 100. This is going to be a task; still have PS1/2/3/4, Gamcube/WiiU, DS/NDS and Vita. Dare I even throw mobile into the mix. I think I have to.

Oh my god there were 2400 playstation games, it's going to take forever to go through to jog my memory of what I've played.

I thought SMT IV was one of the worst games I've played in the last 10 years. Legitmately. Waste of my time and money, I'd give it one star out of five. Maybe two.

And Half Life 2? Boring and overrated, doesn't hold up today with its reliance on physics to 'wow' the player in lieu of any kind of decent level design. Crap silent protag, poor story and horrible cliffhanger endings don't add much to the mix.

Absolutely amazing how different opinions can be.

What are some of your favorite games? No sarcasm or anything negative, just legit curious.

beef3483

Okay, let me start off by giving kudos to the OP for the variety of the list and the amount of time it must have took to put it together, but I just have to say that there is an extreme lack of Metroid (both 2D and 3D) in this list.

Fireblend

Banned
This list is shit OP. Shiiiiit.

Jk obviously, that was fun to follow. You obviously have played a ton of games
and learnt nothing. NOTHING.

Chrono Trigger was robbed, but good on you for ranking Splatoon and Xenoblade that high.

Zia

Really cool, personal list that others can learn from in regard to developing and understanding their own tastes. Thank you for posting, OP.

Wozzer

Absolutely amazing effort put into this, and it's sad to hear it's your swan song towards gaming in such a manner. Inspires me to put time and effort into my own similar list that lacks the depth and detail you have here.

Don't agree with most of what you say though, particularly the lack of Super Metroid, but opinions are beautiful diverse things :D

Nuu

Banned
For reference I made this list over my personal enjoyment of these games and how much I enjoy them playing them today. I'm not really a big fan of having "legacy" impact the rankings too much. I would MUCH rather create a "flawed" list than a boring one where #1 is Ocarina of Time, #2 is Super Mario Bros., and so on.

Not my taste but you clearly play way more games than I do. I do think there are some odd picks for the best of particular franchises though - you seem to often favour the newer over the best at their particular time

I approach this list in terms of how much enjoyment I would get for the game if I was playing it today for the first time.

Was this supposed to go under the Morrowind entry?

I feel that the genre didn't explode to casual console players until Oblivion. Hence why after it there was a barrage of WRPGs on consoles. Morrowind soles 1.36 million on the Xbox. Oblivion sold far more than that on the Xbox 360.

It's good to see some of my lesser-known favourites like Ghost Trick make it, though I think it's a shame The World Ends With You didn't (one of my favourite DS and Square Enix games of all time).

The problem with this title is, like many others, I haven't played it in almost a decade so I'm not sure how well it's held up.

Wait.

Are you implying you replayed some of the games that made the list just to make sure it belonged? If so, how many games did you replay before finishing up this article?

Not at all. I just either replayed them over the past 8 years or so, or I played them for the first time not that long ago.

As much as I loved SMT iv, I'm curious why you'd choose it over apocalypse given that I feel like it was an improvement over 4 in pretty much every way imaginable (I could see an atmosphere arguement I guess)

Great list. Shows a super varied tastes and a huge amount of gaming history. Though I also wonder why super metroid isn't on it, even in the appendices

I didn't include a single game I have played since before I made the list around a year ago. Apocalypse is a fairly recent release. Also I sold my 3DS a bit ago.

And yeah, I feel that Super Metroid doesn't hold the "wow" factor it once did. Side-scrolling action-adventure games (e.g. commonly called "Metroidvania" by others) are plentiful today, and weren't exactly alien some years ago. So that likely minimized it's impact when I played it.

Are there any genres you don't like?

MOBA.

Nice list OP. I disagree on...Well everything but I respect your opinion and the fact that you took the time to do this.

Thoughts on Mass Effect 1/2/3?

zoodoo

Really? Half-Life 2 over Half-Life?

All that effort only to be TOTALLY WRONG.

Half life 1 has aged terribly. I played that game to death when it came out and loved it. I replayed it 3 years ago to completion again and it was a chore. Its almost unplayable. I regretted replaying it. Should have stayed in my memories.

After that experience, i am scared to replay Super metroid which is my favorite game of all time. I am afraid to be as disappointed as i was with half life 1.

Half life 1 has aged terribly. I played that game to death when it came out and loved it. I replayed it 3 years ago to completion again and it was a chore. Its almost unplayable. I regretted replaying it. Should have stayed in my memories.

After that experience, i am scared to replay Super metroid which is my favorite game of all time. I am afraid to be as disappointed as i was with half life 1.

Can you really call a game your favorite if its been so long since you played it that you can't even remember it all that well?

hampig

Is there a place or a blog where I can get just the list with no other posts? If not, you should throw this on a blog op.

Blueingreen

Amazing effort OP and I respect your opinion, but man No More Heroes..in the top 20 greatest games of all time..really?
Kid Icarus top 10?
No Doom?

Avalanche

Seems like there hasn't been a voted top 100 of all time list on this website for a long time. Would be interested to see those results. Especially if you could vote on more than 10 to allow for a more diverse list.

Thud

I think you'll have a great time playing Xanadu Next. It's now my favorite Falcom game I played. Used to be a coinflip between Oath and Origin.

_Clash_

Seems like there hasn't been a voted top 100 of all time list on this website for a long time. Would be interested to see those results. Especially if you could vote on more than 10 to allow for a more diverse list.

You really want to see Horizon or Bloodborne win that shit? Lol

While I disagree with the list. But this effort.

giphy.gif

Yea, same here. Have a LOT of disagreements with the OP's list, but the huge effort he put into it, and the variety of the games... Damn! I've got mad respect for you, OP. Well done.

Nuu

Banned
I'm curious. People keep saying there are a lot of unexpected entries and curveballs on this list. Specifically in the Top 10. I'm curious to hear just what those games were.

I'm curious. People keep saying there are a lot of unexpected entries and curveballs on this list. Specifically in the Top 10. I'm curious to hear just what those games were.

The majority of your top 10 aren't "safe" picks at all, and your list is all the better for it.

Specifically - Strider, Kid Icarus, Jet Set Radio, Sin and Punishment and Skull Girls.

In terms of general observations, your list skews heavily towards Japanese titles and omits certain genre's altogether. I really appreciate the effort you've put in here, and think this is one of the better top 100's I've seen because it's so clearly informed by someone who has been playing games for a long time instead of a standard "critical" list.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
damn son. that is some effort..

would be nice to have that all in one, respectively a few consecutive posts.

daninthemix

I can see this spawning a lot of top 100 lists on gaf, and I for one look forward to that.

Also: this top 100 list is in my top 10 lists.

Greddleok

For me just Skull Girls. The top 10 is good, and has a lot of great games, but I did not predict Skull Girls.

Mainly because 1) I don't like fighting games and 2) Skull Girls never struck me as a "good" fighting game.

Nuu

Banned
It's good, but I didn't think that many people liked it. I lost people to play it in person with years ago. I think last year sometime I tried finding a match on PSN and didn't get anyone.

I missed this.

The game's scene has never been bigger. Last year's big tournament was the highest turnout since Evo 2013 (in which I assume a lot of people who joined just did so for shits and giggles). And this year looks to be even bigger.

If you want to play online you have to play the PC version though. That's the version everyone plays. Hell, even many , if not most, of the pros play the PC version.

For me just Skull Girls. The top 10 is good, and has a lot of great games, but I did not predict Skull Girls.

Mainly because 1) I don't like fighting games and 2) Skull Girls never struck me as a "good" fighting game.

The game has changed significantly since it's 2012 release. Comparing the Evo finals of vanilla versus the 2nd Encore finals at last CEO, you can see how the game is crazy different.

Also: this top 100 list is in my top 10 lists.
This means a lot to me.

Top Bottom