• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Top 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time (IMO)

I enjoyed that. We clearly don't have the same tastes or priorities in games, but OP did a pretty nice job at explaining your picks. I must admit, I did not expect to see Freedom Planet up this high though. I also expected that a list with Freedom Planet to have a lot more Sonic representation than this too. I haven't played the game, but I always got the impression they were relatively similar. I suppose I should check it out for myself.

Nice, diverse list.

Rondo of Blood was way too low though. Super Castlevania IV doesn't hold a candle to either it or Dracula's Curse. The zoomed-in playing field coupled with the 8-way whipping made most enemies a non-threat, which, coupled with Simon's still slow gait, made for a less fun experience. (Not to mention the other two games offered multiple paths and characters, ensuring not only multiple playthroughs but also that none were so long as to wear out their welcome.)

And I know you admitted to mostly not caring for WRPGs, but no Baldur's Gate II or Planescape?

Also a little odd how in light of your limited Mario picks, SMB1 was one of them. Almost all of the main 2d entries aside from the 3/DS entries (and I guess SMB2j) were miles ahead of it, industry influence be damned.

Super Mario 3D Land higher than Super Mario 64

mess
gr5z1q9.gif

Can't wait to see more of your list. Appreciate your work.

He's right though. 3D Land is the second best 3D Mario, only slightly below 3D World.

shiv_

Fun list to peruse through. Thanks for the effort OP. This was much more fun to read than a list from a gaming magazine or something along those lines. I disagree much, and am unfamiliar with much of it, but that is why it's a personalized list and I appreciate your perspective! Every steam sale I think about buying skullgirls; I'll be buying it for sure now.

This list is insanely good in terms of breadth of games and the write up for each title.

I don't think I've read a better top 100, ever in my life

tamminen

Wheres Diablo??

Oh well its a fun list anyway. I disagree a lot and my taste is very different but the effort makes it nice.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Pretty interesting list and aside from the FPS games seems fairly in line with my own taste. Nice to see so much Treasure love in there.

jluedtke

Very fun thread. I was happy to see a lot of love for PC Engine/TurboGrafx/Duo, but sad to see the lack of Saturn love. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a single Saturn game.

You have a really cool taste in games, though, and I'm definitely going to check out a few of the titles on your list.

Thanks for a fun read!

Nuu

Banned
For reference, Sega Saturn is the only platform that I haven't really played any of its games on. I believe my experience with the library is limited to the 3DS port of Soul Hackers, Panzer Dragoon, and the first few levels of DondonPachi.

For reference, Sega Saturn is the only platform that I haven't really played any of its games on. I believe my experience with the library is limited to the 3DS port of Soul Hackers, Panzer Dragoon, and the first few levels of DondonPachi.

You are missing some great gems. If you decide to go down the saturn path make sure you grab an AR so you can play cheap Japan games and access its full library

I haven't played half these games to be honest. Although, I must say that Awakening sounds weird being put next to classics. Fun to go through, though. I always like a good list.

Top Bottom