• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The two best games I've played so far in 2023 have been remakes/remasters(Dead Space and Metroid Prime), with RE4 right around the corner

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Curious if anyone else is in this same boat, and if so, what, if anything, this says about the current gaming landscape. Is this indicative of a weaker gaming landscape or were these just two all-time classics that were made even better so of course they were going to remain great years after?

And also: they're doing an incredible job lately with remakes/remasters and I hope they keep it up. RE2, Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Live a Live, Dead Space, Metroid Prime. Can even throw in Trials of Mana, The Last of Us, and I'm not sure FFVII Remake counts because of all those it's far and away the game that changed the most and feels like a totally new game, but it's still technically a remake.

With RE4 later this month, unless they totally screwed it up, I'd fully expect it to be right there with Dead Space and Metroid Prime. And I expect, barring some unforeseen gems, that all 3 of these games are going to be high atop my games of the year list, perhaps all 3 of them in my top 5.

I'm enjoying them a lot more than I thought they would and I hope there's more on the horizon. Splinter Cell, among others are already on the way.

ungalo

Starting from scratch and starting from an established great game is quite different yes. And it may be indicative of a weaker gaming landscape sure but supporting those kind of projects to the detriment of all new games does not strenghten this same landscape either.

I dont get that interested in remakes so I skipped these. I bought Metroid but haven't played it yet.

Best games I've played so far this year:
Hi-Fi Rush
Wanted Dead
Atomic Heart
Fire Emblem Engage

I did play a bit of Age of Empires 2 remake since I've never tried the series and its actually really good. I was pretty surprised anyone wanted to pay $70 for Dead Space but I guess its well done.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For me it's 1)Hogwarts, 2)Forspoken and can't wait for RE4 remake. Nothing wrong with remakes.
Need to get Dead Space too

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I will get sick of remasters as soon as Metal Gear Solid gets here. Then I will go full-ham on the "I'm sick of remasters" train with y'all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So far the games I really enjoyed.

Octopath 2
Fire Emblem Engage
Dead Space remake

Soon I will get Atelier Ryza 3 and Resident Evil 4 remake. Good year so far.

Hugare

Play Atomic Heart

I loved it. Enjoyed it much more than Hogwarts.

Looks amazing, plays great, great pacing.

It was such a breeze of fresh air in the current gaming landscape

MirageMew2

Metroid I’m just starting and it’s nice. Definitely up there for the Switch this late in its life.

Hogwarts Legacy has mostly eclipsed everything else, with FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 still on the horizon as far most anticipated. I’m quite hyped for the Mega Man Battle Network collection though, that’s sort of a remake, as well as Advance Wars Reboot.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Play Atomic Heart

I loved it. Enjoyed it much more than Hogwarts.

Looks amazing, plays great, great pacing.

It was such a breeze of fresh air in the current gaming landscape
It's next on my list. I don't expect it to come close to topping Dead Space or Metroid Prime though. They're incredibly good.

Kacho

Gold Member
The current gaming landscape is mostly shit but good games are good games. If you aren't interested in remakes or remasters than they can be ignored.

I played Dead Space, Metroid, Goldeneye and loved every single minute. Also played new stuff like Hi-Fi Rush, Theatrhythm and Octopath II and enjoyed those as well.

New or old there's plenty a great stuff coming this year. Absolutely can't wait for RE4 later this month.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Love the quality remakes and remasters we got the last couple of years. Keep it up. So many great games of past times begging to get a new coat of paint.
Same. If some games were remade they would be among the best today

Dino Crysis
Metal Gear Solid

Flabagast

Yep that’s sad for you OP, and also for us.

Gamers like you are the reason why we barely get new IPs and creative ideas these days

Last edited:

magnumpy

personally, give me something new rather than a remake. I have limited time, and replaying something old (though it may be "enhanced" with new features/technologies) is not how I choose to spend my limited time. if time were not an issue, yeah I would play/replay everything. blame the laws of the universe and the perpetual forward march of time ⌚ 😢

although I do see how game companies would be compelled to squeeze every morsel of value out of their existing IP.

Rush2112

Banned
Its more profitable and safer to remake a popular classic with better graphics than risk coming up with something original.

Before the gaming industry became so lucrative, publishers took more risks. Now they just want the money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom