• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unofficially Official X05 Thread (announcements go in here, clones)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone want to sum up what I have missed? I was stuck on a plane all day. Any big announcements?

SyNapSe

I didn't get to see it all because I was busy a lot of the day, but here's what I saw during the early releases during the day.

IGN released an early paragraph saying PD0's framerate wasn't holding up, etc.. then a PD0 trailer comes out that had no gameplay and sucked.. and another one where it had live action scenes and then spliced over to a similar moment in the game. It switched back and forth so fast you couldn't see much gameplay. Haters enter, GAF meltdown, etc.

Then uhh.. Screenshots of Too Human and Mass Effect (bioware) hit. Too Human's "screenshots" looked really really good and Mass Effect looked very xbox 1.5ish. Some hating + Sci-Fi=thenew WWII stuff. Then video's started dropping.. Mass Effect looked incredibly better, IMO.

Then a SC4 trailer dropped that you couldn't see shit from. Some people who claimed they could see came out with the super fun MGS4 wtfrwned!!!1@# comments. An MGS4 vs. SC4 brawl ensued.. I left the thread quickly. Then Blim was putting up vid's finally and he put up a SC4 video, but his site got hammered and I couldn't get to it.

Then I left work and I didn't come home until about 10:30, so I just took a quick glance and it appeared IGN had put up full preview of PD0 impressions that were much more positive. Apparently, it still looks Xbox 1.5, but this guy said it had a solid framerate even in multi and there were some neat sounding gameplay additions. Single player really being built for replayability.

From Next Generation

Microsoft's Gathering of the Gorgeous…

…and we're not talking about the journalists. Gavin Ogden gives us a quick precis of his morning trawling the pods at XO5.
I'm an Xbox bitch, but even the most rabid PlayStation fanboy would be utterly unable to say 'these games look rubbish'.

The fact is, they look amazing. Okay, so we're seeing them in hi-definition courtesy of some great TV kit from Samsung, but that doesn't take away the facts. The Xbox 360 games launch line-up looks crisp and colorful in ways we simply haven't experienced before.

The flip-side of that is that, apart from visuals, there's very little here that's especially new or innovative. I played Dead or Alive 4 for a while and, apart from being helplessly in love with the crisp details, found it pretty much plays like Ultimate DoA. Granted; this was based on five minutes of gameplay. Likewise, FIFA: Road to World Cup is basically a great looking FIFA game.

We're here to play

The consensus among the journalists here is that this has been a success for Microsoft, although probably not a triumph. We already knew how much Xbox 360 is going to cost, we knew the technology involved and when it will be arriving. The fact that there wasn't much to announce last night isn't a big problem.

We're here to see the games and to play them and I think a few people have been pleasantly surprised by just how many games are playable and obviously pretty close to completion.

There's some concern about the final launch line-up but I don't think it's as big an issue as all that. Most people will be buying two or three games at launch, and of those, I'd say the vast majority will plump for Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham 3.

If there is such a thing, PDZ (pictured) is the game of the show, although I should stress that it's basically a really good looking first-person-shooter. PG3 is fast; I mean extremely fast.

While we're on the subject of good-looking games, Tiger Woods is something pretty special. The screenshots don't do it justice.

Journalists and zombies

A lot of journos here are talking about Capcom's Dead Rising. It looks like a zombie movie and has loads of great comedy touches. Unlike most games of this sort, it's free roaming. You can expect to hear a lot more about it in post-XO5 reports.

This XO5 is basically a gathering of the gorgeous. Great looking games that play along tried and tested lines. There are worse ways to launch a console.

Gavin Ogden is editor-in-chief of the UK Official Xbox Magazine.

Spider_Jerusalem said:

I saw that and thought it was a bit strange, personally. Certainly an impressive showing but for a media industry site to have a homer piece like this is weird.

I'm an Xbox bitch,....
Gavin Ogden is editor-in-chief of the UK Official Xbox Magazine.

That being said, can somebody find me a NEW Xbot uniform. I never had one and I don't know if there are new ones being made fast enough. And could somebody buy it for me??? [/speevy]

I don't think I can hold out anymore, but the $500 necessary to get on board is going to be pretty tough to get by the missus. Especially with another $500 guaranteed to be out of pocket 6-12 months after than.

Oh well, Congrats to Microsoft. No new major announcements, but the games are finally coming together and the true Xbox360 was finally shown.

same here sonycowboy, telling my woman i need to spend 800 dollars when were getting married in a couple months is not gonna be pretty.......luckily ive set aside about 500 so far and now i just have to pay for the games, hopefully the BC works out so i can trade my xbox in to cover those

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I know we're likely to see more media from X05 throughout the day, but big fucking props to r0x and the rest of the Gaffers that put this thread together. Nice shit. No need to hit any of the major mag sites with their bleeding web stylings. Great coverage.

Yeah, planning on trading in my Xbox too. Maybe in the next week or so. Only thing I'm playing on it right now is Madden. If impressions on these games come in good today, I'll hold on to my 360 pre-order and get ready for some Nex-Gen love in a month and a half.

Kreuzader

It's not really a trailer, it's just video of id/Raven devs talking about the X360 and the overall theme of the Wolfenstein series. The only game footage is from Wolfenstein 3-D and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, although they do show what looks like concept art from the new game.

eso76

I am somewhat disappointed, maybe i was expecting to see more improvements.
That said, there's 3 or 4 titles i really want at launch, and that's already an achievment.

Oblivion: my most wanted title ever since i saw the very first scans (i didn't even know what game it was and what system...learning it was TESIV skyrocketed it to the top of my all times most wanted) definately seems to deliver. Impressions have been great and it sounds like it will make it for launch. Looked smooth on the showfloor and gorgeous as ever...but it seems no one played the demoed build outside of the first dungeon.. : \

PGR3: still at 30fps and no way it will change by dec...on the other hand, the motion blur does work and makes things look much smoother, and in 720P you're not going to see the interlaced mess making 30fps xbox games look fuzzy.

Kameo: Looks and sounds very good, seems solid and quite big/long.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
truffleshuffle83 said:
my trade depends on shenmue 2 and panzer dragoon orta. they better be supported

They were in that crazy xbox.com vote-for-support thing, and both were getting inexplicably high votes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
sonycowboy said:
I saw that and thought it was a bit strange, personally. Certainly an impressive showing but for a media industry site to have a homer piece like this is weird.

It came off to me as an op-ed, which is fine - he did announce his colors in the first sentence.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
sweet ghost recon 3. cant wait to see that footage.

should make for a great christmas

Lo-Volt

It still seems that pricing for third parties has not been finalized in Amsterdam, has it? It's getting rather close to launch to be guessing about a fact so obviously necessary. Unless something else came out of X05 and I didn't notice, should we assume that third party games will cost $60 a pop?

rastex

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
GRAW looks downgraded in the IGN movies :(

Think of games as two points converging together. One point is the playable game, the other point is the graphical side of things. The further away from releasing, the further away those two points are. Just remember that for all games in general.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
rastex said:
Think of games as two points converging together. One point is the playable game, the other point is the graphical side of things. The further away from releasing, the further away those two points are. Just remember that for all games in general.

So, in the case of PD0, the gameplay is already at the convergence point, and the graphics are somewhat farther away. I Learnt!

newsguy

DaddyZ said:
The lack of Madden Hands-On Worries me...

IGN has a hands-on and it was very positive. the only negative is at the end where they say there was a small delay in running and passing, but they say it's something that should be fixed by launch.

Argyle

DenogginizerOS said:
So, in the case of PD0, the gameplay is already at the convergence point, and the graphics are somewhat farther away. I Learnt!

I don't think the graphics are going to get significantly better if they are planning to launch on Nov 22...

With that said, I'll probably get PDZ anyway, because I liked the first one. It looks fun, and I'll probably look at least OK when it comes out...

Lakitu

st5fu
Yeah GRAW doesn't look anything like the E3 demonstration gameplay and graphics wise, why do devs/publishers mislead people like this? It's incredibly embarrasing.

well with a couple months left gr:aw could shape up nicely. the way early impressions were written made it out to be the hottest thing since sliced bread. i thought those screens from a couple weeks back were in game???? this was the main game i was excited for

Wow! This GRAW news isn't good for me. Xbox 360 launch excitement waning! :(

I wonder if Oblivon will run on my PC and ship at the same time as the 360 version.

hadareud

The Translator
crunker99 said:
IGN insider has madden gameplay video doesnt it i remeber watchign it last nite.

I just watched it. Looks really good, I actually like it better than those renders from E3.

Having said that I couldn't care less about american "football", if only EA would do a decent NHL game (which they haven't done in many years).

Mrbob

So was that target footage for GRAW for PS3 or what?!

What the hell happened to GRAW?

Purchase -1 based on deceit.

newsguy

I'm not sure I understand 1up's preview of Madden. They say there's a lack of quality and they don't know if many sleepless nights between now and the 22nd would help them make launch, and I read the whole article looking for the reason for this comment. In the end they mention that create a player and owner mode are out... the fuck?

Mrbob

newsguy said:
I'm not sure I understand 1up's preview of Madden. They say there's a lack of quality and they don't know if many sleepless nights between now and the 22nd would help them make launch, and I read the whole article looking for the reason for this comment. In the end they mention that create a player and owner mode are out... the fuck?

Yeah those modes are out but franchise mode is in.

Here is the deal, though. Xbox 360 is launching this year. It sounds like what EA has prepping for next gen won't be finalizing until next year. So they are releasing what they have available this year.

Xbox 360 Madden sounds like a transitional Madden. Next years version will be the real deal. I'm ok with this though as I have suspected this would be the case all along. As long as the gameplay is there this is all that matters. The extra modes can wait. Franchise mode is still in even if Owners mode is gone.

Well it's not like Ghost Recon in November so things could improve over the next several months as it's happened with a lot of games. Sounds like a delay is a good thing here.

Glad to read the positive Madden impressions though. The IGN vids look pretty darn good imo. The stadiums are freakin' incredible.

newsguy

Mrbob said:
As long as the gameplay is there this is all that matters. The extra modes can wait. Franchise mode is still in even if Owners mode is gone.

Yeah, that's how I see it. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I used create a player or owner mode. I know many people will miss this, but being that it's built on a completely new engine and they've completely changed the presentation, the omission of those 2 things seems nit-pickingly insignificant. Give me badass graphics, new animations, better sound, and the gameplay from 06, and I'm not leaving my house for a couple of weeks.

eso76

Just seen GRAW 50mb video at gamespot.
It looks like a different game...but maybe that's also because it takes place in a totally different area, maybe soldiers' equipment is also different here (hud and visualization devices are completely different).
Yeah, maybe the hardware is also different, maybe i've seen the xbox version : (

Wow. If it wasn't for oblivion and pgr3...oh well, i don't want to be too negative

n3mo_toad

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Wow! This GRAW news isn't good for me. Xbox 360 launch excitement waning! :(

I wonder if Oblivon will run on my PC and ship at the same time as the 360 version.

Good lord but you people have moodswings like teenage girls. the build IGN played was only 60% complete. What the f#$k do you expect, exactly? :lol The "war-cam filter" isn't on, AA hasn't been implemented yet, half the sound effects are missing . . . UBIsoft will deliver, guys. just give them the chance.

I both hate and love trade shows at the GAF--so much drama, yet so much leaping to conclusions :)

this was the first time theyve showed anything outside of mexico city so most likely its very early in development, on that note im sure itll look good

dorio

Banned
eso76 said:
Just seen GRAW 50mb video at gamespot.
It looks like a different game...but maybe that's also because it takes place in a totally different area, maybe soldiers' equipment is also different here (hud and visualization devices are completely different).
Yeah, maybe the hardware is also different, maybe i've seen the xbox version : (

Wow. If it wasn't for oblivion and pgr3...oh well, i don't want to be too negative
Why are you guys comparing multiplayer to single player. In every game ever released there is a difference in quality. The multiplayer visuals look great to me.

n3mo_toad said:
Good lord but you people have moodswings like teenage girls. the build IGN played was only 60% complete. What the f#$k do you expect, exactly? :lol The "war-cam filter" isn't on, AA hasn't been implemented yet, half the sound effects are missing . . . UBIsoft will deliver, guys. just give them the chance.

I both hate and love trade shows at the GAF--so much drama, yet so much leaping to conclusions :)

I'm weighing my thoughts on a variety of things, not just a quick gut reaction. When you look at X05 as a whole, it hasn't exactly been overwhelming. There is a ton of promise here, but not a whole lot to lock me down for launch just yet, and GRAW was a game that had me excited about the 360 launch. I thought (wrongly I guess) that GRAW was going to be a launch title. I'm still excited about the 360 in general, just trying to decide if I want to taket he leap at launch. With GRAW off the menu, Oblivion is the other title I was really looking forward to, and it sounds like it is shaping up just fine. Not sure if it's worth buying the 360 for it alone though.

So, this begs the question, what will be the system seller at launch? PDZ is getting mixed reviews. Madden seems improved, but not a huge leap, Oblivion for role players, what else?

dorio

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
i dont notice a difference between single/multiplayer in GR2
That game looked like crap in both so wouldn't notice.
So, this begs the question, what will be the system seller at launch? PDZ is getting mixed reviews. Madden seems improved, but not a huge leap, Oblivion for role players, what else?
We've known the system sellers for quite some time now. Nothing has changed. Madden, PDZ, Oblivion and PGR3.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm weighing my thoughts on a variety of things, not just a quick gut reaction. When you look at X05 as a whole, it hasn't exactly been overwhelming. There is a ton of promise here, but not a whole lot to lock me down for launch just yet

I'll throw out a question to you guys? (not you KFJ)

Was X05 all that you hoped for? I was expecting much more in the way of Megaton style stuff, with the 360 getting some more big franchises.

What they delivered was their stable of existing developer that we already knew about (Bioware, ID, Silicon Knights, Ubisoft) and showed markedly improved launch games, which honestly was probably the #1 thing they needed to show after E3 / TGS.

I was expecting more, but I'm ending up being more impressed at the way that many of these games are finally coming together. Still not a home run for Microsoft, but I think it shows how serious they are at pulling off a spectacular launch and how laser focused they are on that goal.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I honestly did not think GR looked much different.

They showed actual gameplay before, so why would it be different now?

Catching up on some more vids. I'm happy to see Dead Rising shaping up. I was more positive than some about it when first revealed, but even then it is showing more potent refinement than I expected.

Top Bottom