• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unwritten Laws of Gaming

Jeff-DSA

There are plenty of things that gamers just know you aren't supposed to do. You usually just can figure that any gamer you come across knows the holy laws of gaming. However, once your nephew, cousin, or an uneducated brother gets a hold of your games, you can possibly have trouble. For the sake of the ignorant...

LET THE LAWS OF GAMING BE WRITTEN!!!

-Thou shalt not play on the RPG save file of thy neighbor
-Thou shalt not use Action Replay or similar cheat devices
-Thou shalt not unlock hidden extras for thy neighbor
-Thou shalt love all systems as thou lovest thyself
-Thou shalt not talk during thy neighbor's cutscene
-Thou shalt not claim that gaming begins nor ends with Halo
-Thou shalt not take the name of Miyamoto in vain
-Thou shalt not steal news and post it on GAF without proper credit given
-Thou shalt not covet they neighbor's game collection
-Thou shalt not dirty up they neighbor's controllers with hand salsa

Add your own...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Thou shalt not trade in games that get less than half the money you paid
Thou shalt not buy full price games

Wario64 said:
Those sound like the unwritten laws of cheap-ass gaming. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ristamar

demi said:
Thou shalt fap over jap

Games or women or the culture, in general? 'Cause some of the games are great, but the women don't do much for me. And don't even get me started on J-pop...

demi

I had to make it rhyme, so I guess I'll go with "in general".

DID YOU HEAR WE <3 KATAMARI COMES OUT SOON?????????????????????????????

fap

fap

fap

I agree with demi; the Laws of GAF Gaming need to be articulated. I'll start:

The SolidSnakeX/kiryogi Rule: Thou shalt pretend to like JRPGs for their mechanics but secretly play them only for the loli fanservice

The LyteEdge Corollary: Thou shalt purchase and hype any fighting or action game with big ol' titties in it

Matlock

Banned
Thou shalt not use sweeps, fireballs, throws, or any other easily exploitable and easily reversible move, as they are "cheap."

demi

Drinky Crow said:
I agree with demi; the Laws of GAF Gaming need to be articulated. I'll start:

The SolidSnakeX/kiryogi Rule: Thou shalt pretend to like JRPGs for their mechanics but secretly play them only for the loli fanservice

The LyteEdge Corollary: Thou shalt purchase and hype any fighting or action game with big ol' titties in it

Thou shalt twirk over quirk

jman2050

Thou shalt do the opposite of Drinky Crow's recommendations.
Thou shalt not wait more than 30 minutes between save in an RPG
Thou shalt not use strategy guides until the game is beaten
Thou shalt not sell gaming consoles months after launch because of impatience.
Thou shalt not compare Mario and Sonic for fear of eternal hell.

Mallrat83

Banned
Thou shall not use someone elses Xbox Live gamertag to play Halo 2 without said person's consent.

and on a related law:

Thou shall not FUCK UP someone rankings on Halo 2!!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Thou shalt ironically deem any type of analysis or commentary that goes against your favorite company/console as fanboyism.

crunker99

We have the law of controller surrender around here, it goes somethilng like this:

Basically if you are playing a game where it is one player versus another, you can only win around the room once, then you must give up the pad. I.E. if i get the pad and beat all 4 other players, i then give up to pad to facilitate a change. It works well and prevents jackasses from glotaing (too much).

How i could write that in the form provided...

Thou shalt give up the control pad once the entire player roster is defeated.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
There are plenty of things that gamers just know you aren't supposed to do. You usually just can figure that any gamer you come across knows the holy laws of gaming. However, once your nephew, cousin, or an uneducated brother gets a hold of your games, you can possibly have trouble. For the sake of the ignorant...

-Thou shalt not play on the RPG save file of thy neighbor
-Thou shalt not use Action Replay or similar cheat devices
-Thou shalt not unlock hidden extras for thy neighbor
-Thou shalt love all systems as thou lovest thyself
-Thou shalt not talk during thy neighbor's cutscene
-Thou shalt not claim that gaming begins nor ends with Halo
-Thou shalt not take the name of Miyamoto in vain
-Thou shalt not steal news and post it on GAF without proper credit given
-Thou shalt not covet they neighbor's game collection
-Thou shalt not dirty up they neighbor's controllers with hand salsa

Add your own...

Sounds like you need new neighbours.

Internet message boards posters ARE NOT representative of general consumers.

==> corollary

Internet message board posters DO NOT affect general consumers purchasing, despite their plugging of certain games/systems.

Bebpo

Banned
Wario64 said:

That's nice for the wallet, but ummm if everyone did this every game company would go out of business and there would be no more games made.

For good games, more people need to buy them at full price if we want to get more games from the development team.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Bebpo said:
That's nice for the wallet, but ummm if everyone did this every game company would go out of business and there would be no more games made.

For good games, more people need to buy them at full price if we want to get more games from the development team.
Thou shalt not accept the above bullshit as truth.

The movie industry makes movies that are 10x as expensive as most games are to produce, and still yields good to great profits on tickets and DVDs that cost 14-40% as much as a full-priced game.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Bebpo said:

And give all the money to the publisher? Ya, right. If you want to support the DEVS goto their concerts and buy tshirts.

JavyOO7

Thou shalt not player another game until he beats the other one.

Cause god dammit, backlogs in general suck ass.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Thou shalt not button mash at an arcade.
Thou shalt not request departure from an arcade whilst thy friend is in mid-game.
Thou shalt not stand closer than three feet whilst watching others gaming in an arcade.
Thou shalt not cheat at DDR by resting on the back-bar during songs.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Thou shalt buy games from the companies of Nintendo, and Sega, and Konami, and Capcom, and Ubisoft, and Activision, and iD, and Monolith, and all other companies you find scrabbling across the ground and through the sky. But the games of EA you shall buy not, for they are ripe in license and yearly release -- woe be he who makes offerings to EA in hopes of finding gameplay and innovation, for he shall find disfavor in My sight and in the eyes of all who strive for gameplay.

bdoughty

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

-Thou shalt not use Action Replay or similar cheat devices, unless it is to be used for transfering sports game rosters such as NCAA 2006.

[/B]

Fixed

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Speevy said:
Though shalt make an effort to play RPG's of different types from all regions.

As long as it means they don't have to like them :D

I've played stuff from Japan, US, Canada, Europe and Korea (and soon China, when that Genesis game comes out :p)... still like the average output from Japan the best, by far.

Top Bottom