• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Final Fantasy XVI has a medieval approach to diversity

Are you a diversity supporter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Fucking white people making games about white people. It's ignorant and racist"

The game was made by Japanese people.

"Well they need to stop being incels and simps for white people. They should take their Thai food and bullshit Mandarin language and go back to Korea. We should have dropped more than two nukes during the Vietnam War."
Except those nukes were dropped during WW2, not the Vietnam war and they were dropped on Japan, not Vietnam.

History 101

ududy

Neo Member
People demanding racial quotas in art should simply be ignored.

Its a moronic position, utterly indefensible.

You're obviously wrong, every fictional world needs, person-wise, to look and feel like the center of a big cosmopolitan US city. Also naturally adhere to the same values held by denizens of those urban centers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You're obviously wrong, every fictional world needs, person-wise, to look and feel like the center of a big cosmopolitan US city. Also naturally adhere to the same values held by denizens of those urban centers.

You're right of course. Having standards imposed by central planning is necessary comrade ududy.

ududy

Neo Member
It's funny because it's a Japanese game, primarily made by Japanese people but with no Japanese characters, and seemingly no one in Japan gives a fuck. But all these American/British bloggers are loosing their mind because a game made on the other side of the world doesn't appeal specifically to them and the social/racial issues in their country.

Doesn't get more self centered than that. "I'm so open minded but also every entertainment product made anywhere in the world needs to appeal specifically to me and my country and the issues that affect me".

Dude I'm from Chile. Characters from this part of the world (Chile, Argentina, Peru, Bolivia, etc) are almost unheard of in Videogames and when they show up in foreign movies/Tv it's usually with something related to drugs and gangs. But why the fuck would I expect a game made in Japan, or Sweeden, or South Africa to have a Chilean character?
I say, it's high time you Chileans demanded your position of pride on the list of the oppressed and marginalized.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Society should be for everyone, and part of that is representing everyone, where it makes sense to. Or even where it doesn't make sense, for artistic reasons, if the artist so chooses. But artists should be free to choose the artistic vision that suits them, in any direction, to be judged on its merits rather than its conformity to the politique du jour by a small subset of fundamentally useless humans.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
"Damn, I'm glad I got that cast for my broken leg, shit, bone was sticking out and everything! Only thing that would make it better were if the entire medical staff were black,"

"You know, you can really taste the lack of Asian factory workers when you knock back this can of Pepsi. Would taste much better if it were more ethnic,"

"Oh, cocks, I hit another pothole. If only these roads weren't so honky,"

Same energy. Just as absurd.

-Zelda-

Banned
Strange, there are a lot of Brown skinned people in my game. Were these websites asleep while playing? There is an desert city filled with them. Oh, did they also not play long enough to learn that there are two gay men, one of which is pretty important to the story at several times? Seems that they also missed the fact that there are several named npc women that are very well respected in their cities, even more so than the actual leaders of said cities? Guess those don't count though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Strange, there are a lot of Brown skinned people in my game. Were these websites asleep while playing? There is an desert city filled with them. Oh, did they also not play long enough to learn that there are two gay men, one of which is pretty important to the story at several times? Seems that they also missed the fact that there are several named npc women that are very well respected in their cities, even more so than the actual leaders of said cities? Guess those don't count though.
It's the games media. They don't play shit, just bitch and project slacktivism in their privileged and lazy lifestyles.

Raonak

Banned

Yeah, the article is written before the game even came out so they were basing it off interviews and trailers? They should really update the article...

Infact, the anti-diversity people are gonna hate this game.

It literally has a gay kissing scene lol.
there's plenty of brown people around.
it has a very strong anti-slavery message.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yeah, the article is written before the game even came out so they were basing it off interviews and trailers? They should really update the article...

Maybe they just want to complain about something

And from what i seen, its stuff that not really makes the game any worse or overshadows the themes its pretty well balanced, i hear ResetEra still hates it lmao

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned

yeah, but for certain people out there, the idea that white people were slaves is something they just can't fathom, real or fictional. As to the kiss scene, I have opinions that while not hateful, are not popular, either, so I am staying out of that one.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just admit that seeing two men kiss makes your palms sweaty.
It's ok, we understand... bahamut is pretty cute.
In my I thought the kiss was done tastefully, it also helps that Dion also really good character just like Emil in Nier and Takatoshi in 13 Sentinels.

this might trigger some people but I honestly think Japanese devs dose better job with gay characters than most western devs.

Last edited:

Bojji

In my I thought the kiss was done tastefully, it also helps that Dion also really good character just like Emil in Nier and Takatoshi in 13 Sentinels.

this might trigger some people but I honestly think Japanese devs dose better job with gay characters than most western devs.

Yeah it wasn't bad. For the story it doesn't even matter if he is gay or not (and it shouldn't), what matters is that he is in love with someone.

Sadly, woke mind virus is penetrating (haha) japanese game developers, slowly but surely.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah it wasn't bad. For the story it doesn't even matter if he is gay or not (and it shouldn't), what matters is that he is in love with someone.

Sadly, woke mind virus is penetrating (haha) japanese game developers, slowly but surely.
At end of the day what all of us wants is good character, no matter the race or sexuality, as long as I like the character then I’m happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom