• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Five years on, Breath of the Wild’s open world is still unmatched

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Many games can be great but saying one is unmatched means that it's greater than the rest.

The truth is that most of the games mentioned here are great and they excel in different things. To me comparing Nintendo to the rest is like comparing Smash Bros to standard traditional fighting games: It can't be done because they serve different purposes and reach different markets. A person might like one over the other but that doesn't mean it automatically makes the game great. They are different categories.
Slight tangent, but that’s another great example of nintendo haters’ closed mindedness to anything nintendo and beloved, the unwillingness to even recognize smash as a legitimate fighting game. It might not be your preferred fighting game, but that’s clearly what it is. Fighting game competitors aren't quibbling over this, it’s understood and respected.

It’s super easy to compare street fighter and smash, they both have Ken and Ryu, make use of hitboxes and hurtboxes, gameplay concepts directly transfer (anti-air, throw/strike/block, zoning/rushdown, I could go on)

Smash isn’t a real fighting game, BotW doesn’t have real combat, I wonder what the motivation could be for these silly statements? Is it that nintendo games just can’t be compared to “real” games, or…?

A.Romero

Slight tangent, but that’s another great example of nintendo haters’ closed mindedness to anything nintendo and beloved, the unwillingness to even recognize smash as a legitimate fighting game. It might not be your preferred fighting game, but that’s clearly what it is. Fighting game competitors aren't quibbling over this, it’s understood and respected.

It’s super easy to compare street fighter and smash, they both have Ken and Ryu, make use of hitboxes and hurtboxes, gameplay concepts directly transfer (anti-air, throw/strike/block, zoning/rushdown, I could go on)

Smash isn’t a real fighting game, BotW doesn’t have real combat, I wonder what the motivation could be for these silly statements? Is it that nintendo games just can’t be compared to “real” games, or…?

Not saying they are not real games, just very different approaches.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Not saying they are not real games, just very different approaches.
Sorry that I came off overly harsh I didn’t mean to single you out and go total fanboy mode. On the one hand we’re here to argue about games because it’s fun, but I don’t want to contribute to the toxic negativity. I still have to respectfully disagree that nintendo games can’t be compared to the rest of the industry, and smash is a great example of an unreasonable double standard.

Petopia

Banned
Sorry that I came off overly harsh I didn’t mean to single you out and go total fanboy mode. On the one hand we’re here to argue about games because it’s fun, but I don’t want to contribute to the toxic negativity. I still have to respectfully disagree that nintendo games can’t be compared to the rest of the industry, and smash is a great example of an unreasonable double standard.
Smash people treat other platform fighter people like garbage i dont know what youre even talking about even old men melee heads hate smash ultimate guys.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Smash people treat other platform fighter people like garbage i dont know what youre even talking about even old men melee heads hate smash ultimate guys.
Yeah fighting game people talk up their own game, there’s street fighter 3 people that hate everything that came after etc, that’s different than saying your game shouldn’t be considered a fighting game, which is what is frequently said about smash bros and other platform fighters too, that’s what I’m talking about.

Kappa

Still continues to be one of the best games ever made.
Elden ring is an amazing game, but the open world doesn't add anything new to the souls formula and isnt a good comparison really, as all you do the entire game is roll and attack.

Last edited:

JPSLotus97T

People who don’t like BotW are unable to feel any happiness from a game. They have no purpose in life except to do difficult stuff with their thumbs and talk about squares triangles and how fast the lights move around on their picture box. Whatever does not pander to the concupiscence of their thumbs reminds them how empty they really are.

Unable to feel any happiness from a game for not liking BOTW?

LOL

Not everyone likes the game for the numerous reasons outlined in this topic and others. There are a lot of open world games I would put over BOTW that did the open world thing much better. It's an empty game that tries to look pretty to distract players from the reality that there isn't anything to fucking do in the world most of the time. The first video game I ever played was Zelda on the NES and I would say that the NES Zelda 1 is still a better game in spite of it coming out 30 years before BOTW. I look at BOTW as a glorified tech demo with puzzling gameplay/design choices like breakable weapons.

No thanks, I'd rather play in an open world like Red Dead Redemption or Elden Ring. They have substance in their worlds and feel like living places.

Petopia

Banned
Yeah fighting game people talk up their own game, there’s street fighter 3 people that hate everything that came after etc, that’s different than saying your game shouldn’t be considered a fighting game, which is what is frequently said about smash bros and other platform fighters too, that’s what I’m talking about.
Thats just streetfighter guys smasj guys disown all other platform fighters despite needing to put in modifiers to make it viable to be a "fighting" game.

I still think BotW is the single most overrated game ever made, and the open world was one of the most boring I've seen besides Death Stranding. I don't care what anyone says about BotW, that open world is not good.

Ryu Kaiba

People hating on it think they're so unique.
You went in after the praise spoiled with unmeetable expectations ready to crucify every detail.
You played yourself.

Top Bottom