• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft has discontinued all Xbox One consoles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Microsoft has stopped manufacturing all Xbox One consoles. The software giant originally discontinued the Xbox One X and digital Xbox One S ahead of the Xbox Series X launch, then quietly stopped manufacturing the Xbox One S at the end of 2020, leaving retailers to sell out their remaining stock.

“To focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020,” says Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, in a statement to The Verge.

“We can actually build more of the Series S [chips] in the same [chip] die space as we can the Series X,” said Spencer. That’s a key reason for why we’re seeing steady Xbox Series S stock, alongside Microsoft’s decision to quietly discontinue the Xbox One S in favor of its next-gen consoles.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Didn’t we know this already? I remember reading they would discontinue both One X and One S prior to launch?

They discontinued One X and the original One's and pledged to only make One S consoles.

But now it seems like they're discontinuing One S as well.

If they think they can pump out the Series S consoles, I guess it makes sense to stop One S production completely.

skit_data

If they think they can pump out the Series S consoles, I guess it makes sense to stop One S production completely.
Yeah, this can be a pretty big upside for Xbox with Series S that PS hasn’t considered. The only relative downside I see compared to keep producing a few more last gen consoles is that PS4s are probably sold with a pretty big profit margin whereas Series S is almost without a doubt sold at a loss.

Edit: Also, the demand for PS4s is still pretty big out there, more so than the One S if I were to take a guess.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yeah, this can be a pretty big upside for Xbox with Series S that PS hasn’t considered. The only relative downside I see compared to keep producing a few more last gen consoles is that PS4s are probably sold with a pretty big profit margin whereas Series S is almost without a doubt sold at a loss.
Maybe, but sourcing older parts actual becomes more expensive.

Roxkis_ii

Ahhh Microsoft, the reactionary company. What a lame announcement.
czvrNkR.gif

Godot25

Banned
Well, the timing of this announcement is quite telling :D
I think that it wasn't meant as a announcement from Microsoft because it happend one year ago. It was more like...
...yesterday Bloomberg published their PS4 report
...editor of The Verge was like "hmm. I wonder how is Microsoft doing" and asked Microsoft representative who told him that they ended production at the end of 2020.
...he published his report.

anthony2690

Banned
I still find it crazy how Microsoft got so much backlash for saying they will support Xbox one for a year or two after announcing the series x, yet they have discontinued the older Xbox consoles and have a lot more in pipeline for series S/X consoles that we know about officially.

Sony on the other hand, came out swinging with we believe in generations and reaped all the praise for that statement, yet are making more PS4 consoles this year, and all their big games that people actually care about (GT7, GOW2, H:FW) are coming to both PS5 and PS4. (I still think this is due to these titles being much bigger budget titles than ratchet and clank, Returnal and demon souls) so they will want to tap into the PS4 100 million+ player base still.

Funny how things turn out though, regardless of this, this is definitely going to be an exciting generation across the board.

can someone remind Jim Ryan that Ape Escape exists, it's a much better IP than twisted metal, medieval & deserves a new title more than them crappy games

Goalus

“We can actually build more of the Series S [chips] in the same [chip] die space as we can the Series X,” said Spencer. That’s a key reason for why we’re seeing steady Xbox Series S stock, alongside Microsoft’s decision to quietly discontinue the Xbox One S in favor of its next-gen consoles.
The author should have browsed this forum more often. He would know then that the key reason for XSS's availability is that no one wants it.

SpokkX

great news

the Jaguar CPU and mechanical drives in last gen (both ps4 and xbox one) really hindered the game design

no one could hope that Sony just ditches ps4 2023... 2022 seems to be ps4 games still (expect lots of narrow gaps to squeeze through in GoW Ragnarok for example)

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I sold all last gen Sony and XBox Consoles since I went all digital and wasn't losing much since BC is a thing now(Thank you Sony!). But now I'm thinking about getting XBox Series S which will be perfect for the living room TV which is an older Samsung Q70 from 2019.

I own PC, and Switch now as my main gaming platforms. My main gaming TV is on my LG CX Oled for PC gaming, and Switch. I'm big time into emulation now, so I'll be grabbing a Series X for emulation, BC, and lower level indie games. I can't wait to play some of my all time favorites again like, Daytona, PD Orta, and Hard Corps! I can't wait to see how some of these emulators run as I have archived and backed up all my games all the way from the NES era, all the way to the GameCube, Wii, and PS2 era. I am hoping everything will run and play quite nice on the Series S. Now here's hoping it's not too hard to find in the coming year.

Edit-Just got Series S on Amazon.

Last edited:
I just looked up what my Project Scorpio is worth... Holy shit!!!
Still rocking that beast.

At least MS has some degree of stock, seeing the Series S everywhere and a second hand One S is dirtcheap.
Sony still making the PS4 is just silly.... Use those materials for the new generation if there's a friggin chip shortage.

sainraja

Edit: Also, the demand for PS4s is still pretty big out there, more so than the One S if I were to take a guess.
Sony's always continued to produce their last gen alongside their current gen. MS has usually stopped production quickly when moving to a new gen — so it's standard affair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom