• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft has discontinued all Xbox One consoles

kingfey

Banned
You didn't answer my question. Is Microsoft committing marketing deception by not advertising the Xbox Series S and Xbox One version of Hellblade 2?
Are you blind? Seriously, are you blind? XSX and XSS are the same, just like how ps5 and ps5d are the same. And hell blade 2 is a next gen console. No xbox one or xbox one x.

You are stretching for some weird shit here.

Tripolygon

Banned
Is Hellblade 2 coming out for X1?
That was the plan at least. They later started scrubbing Xbox One from the announcement for games like Everwild and Avowed just like they scrubbed VR from the Xbox One X page.

Xbox First-Party Titles Will Be Cross-Generation For A Couple of Years​

“We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios,” Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, explained.

“That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years – like Halo Infinite – will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives.”

Are you blind? Seriously, are you blind? XSX and XSS are the same, just like how ps5 and ps5d are the same. And hell blade 2 is a next gen console. No xbox one or xbox one x.
XSX and XSS are the same? And you think I'm blind.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
That was the plan at least. They later started scrubbing Xbox One from the announcement for games like Everwild and Avowed just like they scrubbed VR from the Xbox One X page.

“We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios,” Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, explained.

“That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years – like Halo Infinite – will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives.”

Lmfao from that same article you linked.

Considering Sony is taking the polar opposite route, the showdown between both consoles is looking to be a fascinating contest. You can read more about the two competitors here.

Don't know if that's the best source, but he was quoting Phil from 2020 and that 2 years is up.

Plus with Xcloud Xbox One players can still enjoy the game.

That was the plan at least. They later started scrubbing Xbox One from the announcement for games like Everwild and Avowed just like the scrubbed VR from the Xbox One X page.

First off I didn't know the release date for Hellblade 2. Is it this year? Secondly doesn't the Xbox have cloud streaming which would allow even last generational consoles to stream current generation games?

Also how could you imply the XSS and XSX aren't the same with regard to game library which is the only metric that matters? The systems play the same games unless you can name a game that runs on XSX but doesn't on XSS?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
happy love you GIF by Osvezilna fronta

Tripolygon

Banned
First off I didn't know the release date for Hellblade 2. Is it this year? Secondly doesn't the Xbox have cloud streaming which would allow even last generational consoles to stream current generation games?
A couple of years denotes at least more than 2 years. If they meant 2 years they would say 2 years.
Also how could you imply the XSS and XSX aren't the same with regard to game library which is the only metric that matters? The system play the same games unless you can name a game that runs on XSX but doesn't on XSS?
XSX and XSS are not the same. They may share a library but they are not the same, when Microsoft advertises a game, for example, they go with the best version before they advertise the inferior version. PS5 Disk and PS5 Digital are the same sans the disk drive.

The Xbox One X and Xbox One are not the same, the Xbox One and Xbox One S are the same, PS4 and PS4 Pro are not the same even though for all intents and purposes they share the same library. All PCs are not the same even though for the most part they share the same library of games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You are wrong, you fell for a media clickbait headline as many people are prone to do. Choosing to focus marketing on high-end hardware is not marketing deception unless you are willing to say Hellblade 2 is marketing deception as only the Xbox Series X version, not even the S version is being advertised.

What do you mean "S version isn't being advertised" .. why would they advertise it separately ? They're both "Series" consoles. It's inclusive and you know the game is coming and will be playable on the Series consoles.

That's like asking why Sony didn't advertise games for PS4 and PS4 Pro separately, or why Nintendo doesn't advertise games for Switch and Switch OLED separately.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
the f has that to do with games?

The both run the same goddamn game. The both have the same code.
They both run the same game but for advertisement, no developer is advertising the XSS version first. That was literally my point, Sony chose to advertise the PS5 version before the PS4 version of those games.

adamsapple

They both run the same game but for advertisement, no developer is advertising the XSS version first. That was literally my point, Sony chose to advertise the PS5 version before the PS4 version of those games.

But why should MS advertise Series S version separately tho ? It's not a separate generation like the PS5/PS4. It's the same generation. Again, did Sony advertise games on PS4 Pro and PS4 separately ? or did Xbox One X and Xbox One S games got advertised separately ? No.

Various users on this forum have some intense expectations from MS, lol.

You gotta cut Series console sales in half and compare each half individually with PS5. You gotta advertise games separately for the two Series SKUs. You gotta ignore anything from Verge or Polygon regarding Xbox cause those outlets are MS shills, the list goes on and on.

It would appear he is a student of the Darius87 Darius87 school of logic and common sense. Hopefully he won't also start using Darius' new math formulas as well.

Jesus christ, exactly what I was thinking of lol.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I remember getting dog plied back then for having the audacity to say GoT wouldn't be the last Sony game on PS4, now everybody claims it was obvious and that quote was taken out of context.

You can't make this shit up. 😅

I hear you. The timing and the tone on Sony's part were 100% intentional and I'm sure the resulting response by the media was exactly what they were hoping for. This was meant to seize on the negative fallout associated with MS's cross-gen statements, just as sure as the grass is green and the sky is blue.

A couple of years denotes at least more than 2 years. If they meant 2 years they would say 2 years.
So you have no idea and are trying to parse words to make a point?
XSX and XSS are not the same. They may share a library but they are not the same, when Microsoft advertises a game, for example, they go with the best version before they advertise the inferior version. PS5 Disk and PS5 Digital are the same sans the disk drive.

The Xbox One X and Xbox One are not the same, the Xbox One and Xbox One S are the same, PS4 and PS4 Pro are not the same even though for all intents and purposes they share the same library. All PCs are not the same even though for the most part they share the same library of games.
So same to you means the same spec exclusively? That's a pretty silly metric when the spec differences make no practical difference to a customer who purchases either device. Unless you can point to actual current generation library differences it's a distinction without a difference.

adamsapple

Is that why they scrubbed Xbox One from the announcement pages after it was announced?

Neither Avowed, nor Everwild (nor Hellblade for that matter) look like they'll be releasing in the 2 year window..... so I wouldn't fault them for scrubbing mentions of the base XBO from any pages if the game isn't coming there anymore.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
They both run the same game
That is it. Both run the same game. Same as how ps5 and ps5d are the same. They arent xbox one to xbox series difference.

If they said, it was coming to xseries, then announced xbox one later. Then yes, MS committed market deception. And everyone has the right to pile on them.

kingfey

Banned
Neither Avowed, nor Everwild (nor Hellblade for that matter) look like they'll be releasing in the 2 year window..... so I wouldn't fault them for scrubbing mentions of the base XBO from any pages if the game isn't coming there anymore.
Everwild was rebooted. We arent seeing anything from them for a while.

Topher

Gold Member
They are the same generation and play the same games which is where this debate started. Just like the PS5 and the PS5 DE are the same and UNLIKE the PS4 and the PS5 which are not the same.

Entirely different specs. Factually, not the "same". PS5 DE is not the "same" as PS5. It lacks a media drive. The word "same" means they are the "same".

Concern

I hear you. The timing and the tone on Sony's part were 100% intentional and I'm sure the resulting response by the media was exactly what they were hoping for. This was meant to seize on the negative fallout associated with MS's cross-gen statements, just as sure as the grass is green and the sky is blue.

This right here 10000%

The people saying "out of context" and blah blah blah were using that "believe in generations" shit daily up until that September 2020 event. That was every argument pretty much that I saw here.

Thats some revisionist history type shit lol.

adamsapple

Not even the same source code. Games target different resolutions for XSS.

Topher, you're smarter than the average gopher but you're just debating semantics here.. let's not keep discussing a moot point.

Series S and Series X are the same GENERATION of consoles and will get/play all the same games.

It's not a generational divide like PS5/PS4.

Topher

Gold Member
Topher, you're smarter than the average gopher but you're just debating semantics here.. let's not keep discussing a moot point.

Series S and Series X are the same GENERATION of consoles and will get/play all the same games.

It's not a generational divide like PS5/PS4.

What kingfey kingfey said - you are a smart man and one of the last people here I would expect to debate the finer points of some of the crazy Sony logic this thread has been blessed with.

Well....I don't think I got my point across, but I'm not going to press it. I respect you both you both and I'll agree to disagree on the "sameness" of XSS and XSX.

Sesame Street Flirting GIF

Edit: Besides, I'm enjoying my wine right now and console debates kind of kill the love.....

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
So you have no idea and are trying to parse words to make a point?

So same to you means the same spec exclusively? That's a pretty silly metric when the spec differences make no practical difference to a customer who purchases either device. Unless you can point to actual current generation library differences it's a distinction without a difference.
Not parsing words, the next 2 years of their first-party output were already known cross-gen / PC games announced prior to the start of the generation except for Horizon. Halo was announced in 2018? They announced a bunch of games between 2019, 2020, 2021 and now going to 2022 with no release dates but promise the next couple of years of games will be released on current and last-gen. It was a bullshit promise with no intent in following through. I said as much when Phil made that statement.
Neither Avowed, nor Everwild (nor Hellblade for that matter) look like they'll be releasing in the 2 year window..... so I wouldn't fault them for scrubbing mentions of the bas XBO from any pages if the game isn't coming there anymore.
I don't really care one way or another. I was under no impression that those games would be released anytime soon. Avowed I can see releasing at the end of the year or early 2023.

Tripolygon

Banned
That is it. Both run the same game. Same as how ps5 and ps5d are the same. They arent xbox one to xbox series difference.

If they said, it was coming to xseries, then announced xbox one later. Then yes, MS committed market deception. And everyone has the right to pile on them.
PS5 and PS5D are literally the same hardware. XSX and XSS are not the same hardware despite them sharing the same library. Two different hardwares can share the same library.

kingfey

Banned
PS5 and PS5D are literally the same hardware. XSX and XSS are not the same hardware despite them sharing the same library. Two different hardwares can share the same library.
According to your logic, they arent the same, since Ps5 phyiscal can play the disc game, and digital one cant.

See, i can play your logic here.

Tripolygon

Banned
According to your logic, they arent the same, since Ps5 phyiscal can play the disc game, and digital one cant.

See, i can play your logic here.
Your logic makes no sense. The SoC inside PS5 and PS5D are identical hence they are the same they even share the same RAM and the same SSD they are identical in every but the lack of disk drive. They perform identically in games too. XSX and XSS do not share the same SoC, RAM, or SSD and they do not perform even close to the same hence they are different.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Your logic makes no sense. The SoC inside PS5 and PS5D are identical hence they are the same they even share the same RAM and the same SSD they are identical in every but the lack of disk drive. XSX and XSS do not share the same SoC, RAM or SSD.
Because those are graphics. Source code is different. If you are a programmer, you would know that.

Source code is character movements, gameplay, assets. They are the same for both consoles. Difference is 1 targets 1080p, while the other targets 4k. Both can do 60 fps, and 120fps.

Now tell me, which game cant run on xss, while it can run on xsx? Because that is the one that will differentiate between these 2 console.

Tripolygon

Banned
Because those are graphics. Source code is different. If you are a programmer, you would know that.

Source code is character movements, gameplay, assets. They are the same for both consoles. Difference is 1 targets 1080p, while the other targets 4k. Both can do 60 fps, and 120fps.
You are definitely not a programmer. It is the performance of both systems that set them apart. The source code for cross-platform games is the same just compiled for the target platform.
Now tell me, which game cant run on xss, while it can run on xsx? Because that is the one that will differentiate between these 2 console.
Not the point I was making and won't answer that question. I stated even different hardware can share the same library. XSX and XSS, Xbox One and X, PS4 and Pro are all different hardware that shares common libraries.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
You are definitely not a programmer. It is the performance of both systems that set them apart. The source code for cross-platform games is the same just compiled for the target platform.

Not the point I was making and won't answer that question. I stated even different hardware can share the same library. XSX and XSS, Xbox One and X, PS4 and Pro are all different hardware that shares common libraries.
Ok, I am arguing with someone who has no clue, what he is talking about.

I am just gonna stop here, and enjoy my day.

T0minator

Makes sense. Why make a product you don’t want to market anymore.

Xbox One was on it's way out of Production since 2020 from what I recall.
Most consoles stop producing consoles a couple years after the next generation. X360 went on for 10yrs because it was successful. It's the same reason every PlayStation has gone past the 10yrs mark. Microsoft needs to focus on the Series consoles that has to be their priority from here on out

Top Bottom