• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT - COMPLETE EDITION | Review Thread

Rex_DX

Gold Member

The game is stunning in this video, but in spite of the video itself.

They play epic combat music while Geralt is walking his horse into Novigrad, the slow Skellige theme while he's hauling ass ... in Velen, which is weird, make the combat look even jankier than it is, have him follow a horse's asshole in Toussaint, arguably one of the most beautiful areas in the game, and then crash Roach into a wall at the very end. Who recorded this footage :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also seems to be a lot of pop-in and frame rate variance and if this is on a 4090 ... idk man. I'm hoping its just my stream.

Regardless - game is in my top 3 of all time and I'll have to check this out eventually without a doubt. Its a free update and it looks like they did a ton of work to make it happen. Pretty cool.

Hyped, but amateur video for anyone who played this to death. If you know you know.

skneogaf

I've only ever tried to play the witcher 3 once and I was completely overwhelmed with the amount stuff to do so I put it down and never got back to it.

I have a 4090 so I may try again in the future as it looks very nice now minus the pop ins!

S0ULZB0URNE

Needs a 4K@40hz via 120hz mode.

Can we download the update and will the PS4 version turn into the PS5?
I assume on XSX with smart delivery it will automatically...

BouncyFrag

‘Adjusted the minimum height for fall damage, allowing the player to survive falls from higher heights’
giphy.gif

Vick

Lots of interesting things here.. RT shadows might not be everyone's cup of tea especially going by the samples towards the end of the video.
Not sure about most of the RT effects in general in this one to be honest, prefer Kaer Morhen original art direction and even reflections got quite a bit of pop-in. Hair look considerably better at least.

Console players really got a phenomenal upgrade here, honestly full price worthy as going from PS4 Pro to PS5 Performance is a bigger jump than many fully-fledged Remasters.

Hyped as fuck, actually dreamed about playing which is kind of insane. Hundreds of glorious, magical hours await.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Am I being pessimistic in saying that I think it’s one of those fake videos much like we see for GPU benchmarks? The guy’s channel is basically a flow of modded games with RTGI reshade and shit. Why would he get access to this and no embargo?

I have doubts it’s legit

Yes, now that I watched it on TV it does indeed shows all the artefacts of a hacky implementation of RT. Still looks good, but let's wait for official sources to drop their videos.

Vick

This is joke right? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
128c2f29fdb716ac147cdff8e3bfa91e.jpg

9ad44429b04562b6348553adea135609.jpg
Joke post? Shadows are clearly still there, they just changed the intensity of occlusion caused by fire light. It's blatantly obvious in later comparisons.
And it's accurate.

61dca0774ede320018b6e40c

So, PS4 looks better than Performance on PS5? Wow.
sylvester-stallone-oh-god.gif

Clearly.. just a generational leap in every single graphical aspect on top of double framerate.
Maybe watch the video.

bbeach123

Man, don't. These flashback sequences with Siri suck but power through them. It's wort it. Amazing stories await.
Tbh I feel like the novigrad part even more drag than velen .

I was so glad to leave no man land, hitting the actual city , and then 20 hours(or 30 ? ) later Im still at novigrad . ALmost feel like Geralt already became a city boy .

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Tbh I feel like the novigrad part even more drag than velen .

I was so glad to leave no man land, hitting the actual city , and then 20 hours(or 30 ? ) later Im still at novigrad . ALmost feel like Geralt already became a city boy .

You know what, that's true. Priority should be to get access to Ard Skelig ASAP and spice up things by doing some side quests in the country side. Novigrad can be a trap.

GymWolf

Looks like I’ll have to try and enjoy this game for a 5th time.

Always tap out around the Baron.
I tapped out many time before finishing it, the villains and searching for ciri are really not that interesting if you are not fully invested in the witcher lore and gameplay remains mediocre at best for the whole game.

The dlc are so, SO much better and way less bloated.

thatJohann

I wonder what the Switch version improvements are. They said the new quick cast and Netflix stuff is coming to switch too. I wonder if they snuck in any graphics improvement too for the mighty Switch.

Anybody here played it with the ?s turned off? I'm tempted to this time around but I don't want to miss anything :(

Rinsing through White Orchard last night I became aware of how much I was using the mini-map...

Certinty

I haven’t played this since 2015 but as far as i’m aware if I want to keep my save I need to rebuy the regular version then update it and buy the DLC separately? Complete shitshow that saves aren’t compatible with the complete edition.

I'm torn between playing this on PC vs PS5. I love the convenience of the console, and the DualSense controller. Also extra launchers piss me off.

Then again, on PC I will get more raytracing and what not (don't care about 60 fps).

Does anyone know if the graphical difference between PS5 and the maxed out PC version is significant?

Kerotan

They re-reviewed Demon's Souls and this is a bigger change than that. The gameplay is actually affected in this plus the patch could have broken something so it's nice to see it's solid.
Mate demons soul's was a proper remake. This isea next gen upgrade.

Years ago I was given a copy of the game of the year edition by a friend on ps4. Will this upgrade work for me? Never got around to even booting it up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I miss this kind of energy from you. This is from Ghosts of Tsushima Director's Cut thread:
And?

It wasn't re-reviewing the game with new scores in 2020 for a community inspured patch in that thread:pie_roffles:

Context and nuance are a thing. (P.S., I still never picked up GoT for the PS5, backlog too big and new games took precedent.)

I am not commenting on TW3 having a patch, I am glad it's getting it, I am laughing about an entire re-review of the game itself because of a graphics mod/patch.

Let's re-review Skyrim every time the community ads a patch.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
And?

It wasn't re-reviewing the game with new scores in 2020 for a community inspured patch in that thread:pie_roffles:

Context and nuance are a thing. (P.S., I still never picked up GoT for the PS5, backlog too big and new games took precedent.)

I am not commenting on TW3 having a patch, I am glad it's getting it, I am laughing about an entire re-review of the game itself because of a graphics mod/patch.

Let's re-review Skyrim every time the community ads a patch.

Here's your context: I'm just following up on posts from yesterday. GoT Director's Cut is nothing more than next-gen patch. But because it's printed on disc and sold for 70$ somehow it's normal to you. When another company is doing something like Director's Cut for free you are left clueless.

It's funny, really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom