• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT - COMPLETE EDITION | Review Thread

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are you intentionally being obtuse?

And is TW3 director's cut too?

You failed at the gotcha, it's okay, you win some you lose some.

Kenpachii

Lots of interesting things here.. RT shadows might not be everyone's cup of tea especially going by the samples towards the end of the video.
Not sure about most of the RT effects in general in this one to be honest, prefer Kaer Morhen original art direction and even reflections got quite a bit of pop-in. Hair look considerably better at least.

Console players really got a phenomenal upgrade here, honestly full price worthy as going from PS4 Pro to PS5 Performance is a bigger jump than many fully-fledged Remasters.

Hyped as fuck, actually dreamed about playing which is kind of insane. Hundreds of glorious, magical hours await.

RT reflections soooo gooooood.

21cc4c5f9f51cf32923861a47a816be8.gif

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I am laughing about an entire re-review of the game itself because of a graphics mod/patch.

People keep focusing on this because CDPR chose to focus on this HOWEVER this is also in the patch https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2788/ which includes A LOT of huge changes. The mod itself is made by a cdpr dev in his spare time. I would not call this patch just a visual upgrade.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People keep focusing on this because CDPR chose to focus on this HOWEVER this is also in the patch https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2788/ which includes A LOT of huge changes. The mod itself is made by a cdpr dev in his spare time.
It's really not a big deal that needed so much defense from my comment.

There are plenty of QoL added to games years later, they usually never re-review them, is all. NBD, glad everyone wants more confirmation that one of the best games of all time, is still just that.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
And is TW3 director's cut too?

It is in anything but name. A major graphical overhaul, new content, bug fixes, gameplay changes, quality of life improvements.

It's a free patch that offers more changes than Director's Cut of Ghost of Tsushima.

You are somehow flabbergasted why people are re-reviewing The Witcher 3 when you are on record cheering for 70$ re-print of the same game.

You failed at the gotcha, it's okay, you win some you lose some.

In your case it is: you lose some and then you lose some more. Get a grip.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is in anything but name. A major graphical overhaul, new content, bug fixes, gameplay changes, quality of life improvements.

It's a free patch that offers more changes than Director's Cut of Ghost of Tsushima.

You are somehow flabbergasted why people are re-reviewing The Witcher 3 when you are on record cheering for 70$ re-print of the same game.

In your case it is: you lose some and then you lose some more. Get a grip.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Great, I love discussing with you.

Another thing you seem to ignore (or fail to understand) is that it has been 7 years since the game was released. A lot of new people are now "old enough" to play it and having reviews from 2022 perspective is beneficial. People have different set of expectations now vs. 2015 and it seems like this classis still holds up. That's re-assuring.

Now go to these other review threads for half-assed "Director's Cuts" and complain about why they re-review the same game after a year or 2.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Great, I love discussing with you.

Another thing you seem to ignore (or fail to understand) is that it has been 7 years since the game was released. A lot of new people are now "old enough" to play it and having reviews from 2022 perspective is beneficial. People have different set of expectations now vs. 2015 and it seems like this classis still holds up. That's re-assuring.

Now go to these other review threads for half-assed "Director's Cuts" and complain about why they re-review the same game after a year or 2.
You are investing way more energy than there needs to be.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It's really not a big deal that needed so much defense from my comment.

There are plenty of QoL added to games years later, they usually never re-review them, is all. NBD, glad everyone wants more confirmation that one of the best games of all time, is still just that.

Oh yeah, nothing against your comments about re-reviewing a game since its pretty much the same and I generally dont give a shit about any critics or what they do. Was just stating that theres a bit more than just visual fluff. If that is enough for a re-review, I rly dont care. All I care is that I will prolly replay the game again, assuming it runs good with rtx.

jaysius

Banned
I like how Moscow / Russia is nowhere to be found on that slide.
You can say that about most of the African countries, but you see there's a thing called timezones, and they cover vertical ZONES, so you don't need to put extra data and crowd the map if you've already covered the zone with another location.

There are more time zones in North America too, but they didn't cover all of them either.

Good attempt at whatever though.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Lots of interesting things here.. RT shadows might not be everyone's cup of tea especially going by the samples towards the end of the video.
Not sure about most of the RT effects in general in this one to be honest, prefer Kaer Morhen original art direction and even reflections got quite a bit of pop-in. Hair look considerably better at least.

Console players really got a phenomenal upgrade here, honestly full price worthy as going from PS4 Pro to PS5 Performance is a bigger jump than many fully-fledged Remasters.

Hyped as fuck, actually dreamed about playing which is kind of insane. Hundreds of glorious, magical hours await.

Holy crap the PC version is gud. Geralt's hair looks a gen above consoles, what's up with that. Everything is so crisp.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You can say that about most of the African countries, but you see there's a thing called timezones, and they cover vertical ZONES, so you don't need to put extra data and crowd the map if you've already covered the zone with another location.

There are more time zones in North America too, but they didn't cover all of them either.

Good attempt at whatever though.

Not only good. A great attempt.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Not only good. A great attempt.

Yea, ok, you still don't understand what they're actually doing on those maps.

You don't need to list EVERY TIMEZONE because there are places where people fall into the same timezone, or one an hour over and they convert those things in their minds.

There's nothing going on here.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yea, ok, you still don't understand what they're actually doing on those maps.

You don't need to list EVERY TIMEZONE because there are places where people fall into the same timezone, or one an hour over and they convert those things in their minds.

Dude, are you for real? What's with GAF today and low-effort idiotic arguments. Think for a second. If what you're claiming is true, why would they list 3 cities that are in the same time zone: Warsaw, Paris and Berlin?

They list areas that are important to them. Nothing else, nothing more. Moscow historically was an important market for them. Not anymore. Why is that? Well, there's a thread in Off-Topic that might give you a clue.

Serious, fucking lol.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Water reflections looking worse in quality vs. performance on consoles must be a bug, right?

jaysius

Banned
Dude, are you for real? What's with GAF today and low-effort idiotic arguments. Think for a second. If what you're claiming is true, why would they list 3 cities that are in the same time zone: Warsaw, Paris and Berlin?

They list areas that are important to them. Nothing else, nothing more. Moscow historically was an important market for them. Not anymore. Why is that? Well, there's a thread in Off-Topic that might give you a clue.

Serious, fucking lol.
You're making all the idiotic arguments.

You're trying to say there's some slight for them not listing Moscow, when it's not even that, it's not crowding the fucking infographic.

Serious fucking lol.

I feel like I'm trying to tell a dog not to bite their own tail.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You're making all the idiotic arguments.

You're trying to say there's some slight for them not listing Moscow, when it's not even that, it's not crowding the fucking infographic.

Serious fucking lol.

I feel like I'm trying to tell a dog not to bite their own tale.

I think I'm done with GAF for today. You people are draining.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

You're delusional. They stopped distributing games in Russia. Why? Because Russia is considered a terrorist state. That's why it's not on the map. It has nothing to do with time zones you loon.

As was I.

If there was no 'sponsorship' they would do both methods. ;)

nVidia is notorious for this.

At least we're getting FSR 2.1 support. I know my Steam Deck will be happy!

been patiently waiting for this to do yet another playthrough.

such an amazing game and it looks like it's getting even better! i'm interested to see what some of the included mods do. i don't generally like modding games because i like to play the game as the developer intended but if CDPR is incorporating mods as part of their vision then i'm in.

i hope i can play on some of the new graphic settings. first thing will be to turn on DLSS for free performance boost and see what other things i can crank up.

thanks CDPR!

on a side note: i hope they do the same for Cyberpunk. we know there will be an Enhanced Edition after Phantom Liberty but 5+ years down the line it'd be cool if they updated it like this patch does. we'll see.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The load times on PS4 are MUCH worse than I remember. Goddamn.

PS5 performance mode will be the way I play it through again. Won't be anytime soon though.

Bragr

Banned
What a fuck? watching streamers play, the vegetation is radically different, it looks a lot better than I expected. It really does look like a legit new 2022 game. The ray tracing in the swamps is stunning.

Considering how many trees and how much grass there is, this sort of upgrade makes a big big difference. Some of the forest sections look borderline photo-realistic.

Top Bottom