• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT - COMPLETE EDITION | Review Thread

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Will the New Zealand trick work for the XSX patch upgrade? It unlocks at 6:00pm CDT for me but wondering of I switch will I be able to download it now?

Winter™

Banned
Shit. I expected Xbox Series S to have constant 60 fps. It looks awful in Performance mode. I think I will stick with Quality Mode for now. Hard to get PS5.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
@nightmare-slain you think I was joking? I wanna know what console it plays best on so I can start it for the first time. 😀

pi719Zg.png
q9f44sF.png
3kduys.jpg

It’s cool that this’ll be out today on Xbox. I’m wondering if the the RT is worth playing with 30fps though. My original playthrough was on Xbone (after the HDR patch at least, so that was nice), so I could maybe deal with 30, but if there aren’t too many upgrades to Quality mode I’m just gonna play with that sweat 60fps.

Chronicle

I've only ever tried to play the witcher 3 once and I was completely overwhelmed with the amount stuff to do so I put it down and never got back to it.

I have a 4090 so I may try again in the future as it looks very nice now minus the pop ins!
Don't give up. I did the same. Go slow, give it time. It's so worth it. Plus 4090?..... how can you not!

Kagey K

Banned
I'm kicking my ass for not buying the complete edition when it was on sale for Black Friday. I already played through and beat it and the DLCs on the Vanilla one.

DavidGzz

Mate demons soul's was a proper remake. This isea next gen upgrade.

Years ago I was given a copy of the game of the year edition by a friend on ps4. Will this upgrade work for me? Never got around to even booting it up.

It was a carbon copy besides graphics and load times so not sure how that makes it a remake. Remakes are different experiences like Resident Evil 1 and 2. It's a remaster just like this is, the makeup is just thicker.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Lots of interesting things here.. RT shadows might not be everyone's cup of tea especially going by the samples towards the end of the video.
Not sure about most of the RT effects in general in this one to be honest, prefer Kaer Morhen original art direction and even reflections got quite a bit of pop-in. Hair look considerably better at least.

Console players really got a phenomenal upgrade here, honestly full price worthy as going from PS4 Pro to PS5 Performance is a bigger jump than many fully-fledged Remasters.

Hyped as fuck, actually dreamed about playing which is kind of insane. Hundreds of glorious, magical hours await.

Whats going on here?

gd3e8YA.jpg
vJEsxNs.jpg

Gamespot - Kevin VanOrd - 10/10

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is still one of the best games ever made.

Seven years later, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is still a staggering achievement; and thanks to the next-gen update, it’s better than ever. The free update packs in visual enhancements, fresh content, and new features, as well as an extra coat of polish. Whether you’ve played The Witcher 3 or not, it's the perfect time to explore The Northern Realms.

This game was, is and will eternally be one of the best games ever made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winter™

Banned
Will be able to install mods? I would like to get cloak for Geralt. I saw it on YT and it looked way better than any armor.

Buggy Loop

Whats going on here?

gd3e8YA.jpg
vJEsxNs.jpg

Not sure what you're looking at, but for me, the PS5 water looks very strange here. The one with ray tracing almost looks like an iced lake strangely, with almost no waves changing the reflection. Is it just weird coincidence with different time of day/weather?

Let me have my moment, God damn it.

msc5J8L.png

Still at 97 after 14 critics. 7 Years Old, folks. Behold, how everything is squished beneath it. Now i'm curious if it can keep a 97 score after a few more jump in.

Arioco

I know, right? Barely anyone has heard of it. I hope this gets it some attention. :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Jokes aside, The Witcher 3 is a true masterpiece. Last gen I've played quite a few amazing games, but if I had to pick just one it'd be The Witcher 3. I'm not the kind of person who plays the same game several times from start to finish (too many games, too little time, you know) but this one is the only one I've finished twice, the first time on PC and the second on PS4 Pro. I just love it, and I hadn't even played a The Witcher game before. I enjoyed it a lot more than others GOTYs like God Of War, RDR2 or TLOU Part II... So yeah, in that sense it's my Game of the Generation.

And I'm very grateful for this next gen update (for free, Sony, for free 🙄) but the truth is that the original still holds up surprisingly well IMO.

Not sure what you're looking at, but for me, the PS5 water looks very strange here. The one with ray tracing almost looks like an iced lake strangely, with almost no waves changing the reflection. Is it just weird coincidence with different time of day/weather?

Look again.

Jokes aside, The Witcher 3 is a true masterpiece. Last gen I've played quite a few amazing games, but if I had to pick just one it'd be The Witcher 3. I'm not the kind of person who plays the same game several times from start to finish (too many games, too little time, you know) but this one is the only one I've finished twice, the first time on PC and the second on PS4 Pro. I just love it, and I hadn't even played a The Witcher game before. I enjoyed it a lot more than others GOTYs like God Of War, RDR2 or TLOU Part II... So yeah, in that sense it's my Game of the Generation.

And I'm very grateful for this next gen update (for free, Sony, for free 🙄) but the truth is that the original still holds up surprisingly well IMO.
I remember the moment I finished the base witcher 3 back in 2015 after doing absolutely everything in it for 3 months. Got the bittersweet ending and it was the first time I slow clap the credits. It really felt like a journey more than a game. The only other time was Rdr 2.

It’s the only one showing the white textures for the wave break-up, I think it’s just a random weather thing.

And for the RT there’s a lot of refraction on the waves, if there wasn’t it would look like a straight mirror.

Top Bottom