• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT - COMPLETE EDITION | Review Thread

TLZ

Banned
Community-made and community-inspired mods include:
-The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project by HalkHogan
-HD Monsters Reworked by Denroth
-Immersive Real-time Cutscenes by teiji25
-Nitpicker’s Patch by chuckcash
-World Map Fixes by Terg500
Is this the first time community made mods have been included in an official retail game? This is great to embrace the community. Nintendo takes their community to court instead.

Lions Gate

done. 50GB on PS5, see you next month

JKhVBdA.jpg

You playing Quality or Performance mode? Let me know if Quality Mode really does the difference.
Although I now consider 40 fps to be the absolute minimum, I'm still undecided.

The performance mode looks outstanding on its own with its 60 fps.

The ray tracing mode on the other hand fixes what I think is the game's biggest graphical problem: The lack of SSAO in the vegetation (which ultimately makes up 90% of the game's landscape). It may be just a small touch but makes the whole picture more balanced and believable. Still, I'm not sure if that justifies 30 fps.

performancetofdi.png

ray1kfok.png

(Screenshots taken from ElAnalistaDeBits)

:unsure:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Xbox and PC version releases in less than 2 hours in east coast of north america. Not sure why but i'll take it... Ps5 version releases at midnight only

Last edited:

Winter™

Banned
Although I now consider 40 fps to be the absolute minimum, I'm still undecided.

The performance mode looks outstanding on its own with its 60 fps.

The ray tracing mode on the other hand fixes what I think is the game's biggest graphical problem: The lack of SSAO in the vegetation (which ultimately makes up 90% of the game's landscape). It may be just a small touch but makes the whole picture more balanced and believable. Still, I'm not sure if that justifies 30 fps.

performancetofdi.png

ray1kfok.png

(Screenshots taken from ElAnalistaDeBits)

:unsure:
It looks great on console. One of my friends is playing this 4k on Ultra + RayTracing. It looks better than most games in 2022 :D

Openining this thread and seeing all the love for Witcher 3. Truly a remarkable game.

I Feel This Love GIF by Danica McKellar

I've played it twice, over a year ago now and thought I'd wait for the next-gen patch, been waiting two years for this. They decided to release it on my birthday, unfortunately I won't heave the pleasure to enjoy it straight away as I'm flying out for two weeks, but I'm going to be all over it once I'm back.

TheContact

I’m in the rare position where I haven’t played much of the Witcher 3 all this time. Excited for the next gen update; it’ll give me a good reason to play through it all

RPS37

I’m in the rare position where I haven’t played much of the Witcher 3 all this time. Excited for the next gen update; it’ll give me a good reason to play through it all
Same. Played about an hour pre next gen update.
It’s 53.6 GB on XSX.
i don’t know if it will be done before tomorrow.

ehh…back to high on life.

Winter™

Banned
My thoughts over XSS version.

Quality Mode looks better than Performance. Performance Mode is literally old version with 60 fps. No visible changes to the graphics.

Bragr

Banned
Is Geralt situated more to the left side of the screen when walking around than before or am I going crazy?

Sleepwalker

I own it on gog and xbox but not playstation and steam... I feel like I want to pick up a steam copy for the deck and a ps5 box (if they release it) for the shelf lmao.

Cant wait to dive in again looks incredible

Bragr

Banned
So I’m assuming everyone here is Team Yen, as god intended it to be?
It's hard if you played The Witcher 2, but it's just too damn hard not to pick Jennifer since she is the main story and Triss is just a Novigrad street girl in a side story this time around.

Hugare

I've downloaded it on PC because I'm anxious and cant wait until the PS5 version unlocks

Its heavy af. Didnt see the FPS count, but it felt like sub 30 with everything maxed (no Ultra+ tho) on a laptop with a 3060

It felt heavier than Cyberpunk with Raytracing on Psycho

After this update the game looks like a 2022 release. Wow.
Especially FSR is doing a great job. Despite all the foliage, little details and the far view in the distance the picture is razor sharp without any aliasing.

The added gameplay features are the icing on the cake. I`ll play the whole game with the new camera mode. It adds the even more immersion to the game.

Arioco

Better SSR on PS5. Could be a bug or just some toggle hasn't been selected like the draw distance on SX and SS is further than PS5. It may well change as there is a day one patch.

Apparently there are new weather conditions in the game and that affects the way water and waves behave, which causes flections to look different, but they're actually not worse. At least that is what ElAnalistadeBits said. He apologized fot the mistake.

Fools idol

Banned
played for a little bit on PC. The combat still is horrible. Honestly didn't notice that much difference graphically to what I remember the first time I passed on playing it through. Oh well.

Meicyn

Gold Member
played for a little bit on PC. The combat still is horrible. Honestly didn't notice that much difference graphically to what I remember the first time I passed on playing it through. Oh well.
Yep, combat still feels bad. Ended up playing for about half an hour, fought some wolves, quickly remembered why I struggled to finish through the game the first time. Gotham Knights has better combat than this.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Apparently there are new weather conditions in the game and that affects the way water and waves behave, which causes flections to look different, but they're actually not worse. At least that is what ElAnalistadeBits said. He apologized fot the mistake.
Oh ok. I did think the geezer from NX Gamer would have picked up on it in the IGN video so makes sense.

Fools idol

Banned
Yep, combat still feels bad. Ended up playing for about half an hour, fought some wolves, quickly remembered why I struggled to finish through the game the first time. Gotham Knights has better combat than this.

Never played Gotham Knights so cant say.

This game overall is extremely over rated in my opinion. Aside from the combat sucking, the so called 'best open world ever' world is vast but pretty drab looking, boring to explore the loot filled houses filled with dumb NPC's that you steal all their shit with zero consequence and is just littered with the usual bland question mark open-world sidequest and mini-game shit we've seen thousands of times over this gen. It really is baby's first open world RPG and I can't see how this is any better than the usual stuff we get from Ubisoft etc.

The story is also pretty dull and shallow, especially when compared to other RPG's and cRPG's of the dwaf-elf-human-monster-fantasy ilk.

The stupid ass 'senses' system you constantly have to use makes my eyes roll every time - doesn't help that most quests generally revolve around you using it constantly to find various mcguffins.

I can imagine most big fans of this didn't play classic rPG games like Baldurs gate for example, so they think the quest with the fat guy and the ghost baby thing is some kind of revelation in writing.. It's hard not to dislike for that alone. Everything this game does has been done in the genre far better many years ago. They just made it look pretty and added a lot of boobs.

The first time I played this I gave up after the fat guy in the castle questline, but this time I gave up when I was on the road to his place cause I knew what was coming and this update doesnt change anything that made it not for me in the end.

I can see why someone who has never played many good RPG games from the 90's, 00's and even some more modern may think this is some kind of ground breaker. It's just not for me, seen it all before and got the bored tshirt.

It's not a bad game at all by any stretch of imagination, but for me, personally, it's a passable 6/10 at best. Pretty much run of the mill, probably only give it a second shot when it gets a free next gen update and still not that good kinda game :)

Last edited:

Vick

Hundreds of glorious, magical hours await.
Actually, not so sure about this anymore.

I always tend to forget W3 is literally the single worst controlling game I've ever played in 25+ years..
Best game world ever, best side quests ever, best writing ever, best atmosphere ever, best adult themes ever, best minigame ever, best music ever.. worst gameplay ever.

SJRB

Gold Member
Actually, not so sure about this anymore.

I always tend to forget W3 is literally the single worst controlling game I've ever played in 25+ years..
Best game world ever, best side quests ever, best writing ever, best atmosphere ever, best adult themes ever, best minigame ever, best music ever.. worst gameplay ever.

Yeah the highs are quite high, but man the lows are really fucking low. The combat is still terrible.

I guess enjoyment comes down to being able to roll with the punches..

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yeah the highs are quite high, but man the lows are really fucking low. The combat is still terrible.

I guess enjoyment comes down to being able to roll with the punches..
The middling combat is the reason I'll play through on an easier difficulty the next time. Mostly care about the quests and characters.

It definitely needs a patch to clear up a few bugs but overall I think it’s a great upgrade and I appreciate that it’s free

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I just don't get why there's a need to add RT to an already great looking game (even without mods) where it doesn't really matter. There's way more games where it is needed far more like Dead Space 1-3, Silent Hill 2-4, Splinter Cell 1-3 and Doom 3 to name just a few.... You know, in games with very, VERY ancient tech where RT shadows, RT lighting, RTGI etc. actually matters from gameplay perspective aswell and there's no need to add anything else, not to mention that these games are not 230+ hours long... fuck sake.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Uh whats up with RT mode on PS5? This doesnt even feel like 30 fps, so choppy. Performance is clearly the way to play for now.

Also dont like the added Close camera, just doesnt feel right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom