• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 4 Has Entered Pre-Production

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
FOYqcRqWUAQBrAb.jpg

Confirmed in a CD Projekt Red blog post, the studio looked back on the first quarter of 2022 and revealed that, during this time, it completed its research for the new Witcher game.

Adding a little more detail in a developer update video (below), CD Projekt Red executive Piotr Nielubowicz said the game has now entered pre-production.

"We are very eager to revisit the universe which has shaped our history to such an extent," said president Adam Kiciński in the post. "We have recently concluded the research phase for the first game in the new Witcher saga, which means that from now on further development expenditures will be capitalized on our balance sheet."

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol 1.5 years just to research as start PRE-production. hilarious.

Video game studios sure do sound like a scam right now. This 500 man studio took 1.5 years to do "research" and still arent ready for full production? Didnt they make Witcher 3 in 3.5 years after shipping Witcher 2?

SJRB

Gold Member

Video game studios sure do sound like a scam right now. This 500 man studio took 1.5 years to do "research" and still arent ready for full production? Didnt they make Witcher 3 in 3.5 years after shipping Witcher 2?

Pretty sure they're switching to a new engine [UE5] so their entire pipeline has to adjust. Takes time.

jaysius

Banned
Cool, tell me when they get to Production.

What a non-announcement.

This one is for investors to prove that they're doing work to keep money flowing.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
As much as I LOVE The Witcher Trilogy. I'm very cautious due to how Cyberpunk 2077 turned out.

I've been a huge fan of them since I played the first Witcher game in 2007.

I hope 4 is great though

Cyberpunk suffered from over ambition and poor execution. Truth is they never shook away their eurojank origins and when attempting something as massive as cyberpunk they folded.

Part of the problem is targeting old gen - it should have been a next gen project but since they’re a one at a time game type of company they just couldn’t wait that long, financially speaking specially since their other venture, the gog shop isn’t generating huge profits to keep the lights open.

Fbh

Great Job Reaction GIF by Bounce

See you in 2028

Also always keep in mind that:
- Whatever devs say about their game 1+ years prior to release is usually BS
- Whatever they show you really early is usually BS
- The first cinematic "in engine" trailer isn't representative of the actual visuals in the game
- Demos shown to the press behind closed door are probably BS

Saber

Gold Member
Same feeling as the most of guys here...we ain't gonna see this game until the next like 6~8 years. Those reveals of basically nothing are aways depressing.

Cyberpunk suffered from over ambition and poor execution. Truth is they never shook away their eurojank origins and when attempting something as massive as cyberpunk they folded.

Part of the problem is targeting old gen - it should have been a next gen project but since they’re a one at a time game type of company they just couldn’t wait that long, financially speaking specially since their other venture, the gog shop isn’t generating huge profits to keep the lights open.
Also I have a feeling it was investor's that was forcing CDProjeckRed to rush the game. I heard rumors that there was suppose to be a third person mode. I would have preferred if the first person was optional

Madflavor

It's depressing how fucking long game development takes now. I long for the days where you'd wait 2-3 years to play the next entry in your favorite franchise. But now? "Oh cool TW4 is entering early development, can wait to play it in 5-7 years when I'm pushing 40."

Last edited:

Exentryk

All good. Take your time CDPR. Just imagining Witcher 4 in Unreal Engine 5 is hype inducing. Even if they get close to Witcher 3, it'll be a great game.

EDMIX

Agreed, worrisome. They need to put that budget into getting more talent instead of trying to force a team of 500 to do the work of 1200.
Also I have a feeling it was investor's that was forcing CDProjeckRed to rush the game. I heard rumors that there was suppose to be a third person mode. I would have preferred if the first person was optional
lol nahhhhhhh.

It was CDPR that lied to investors in the first place about the state of the game. CDPR own this, they control their damn game and company. They choose to lie, they choose to rush a release, they choose to do all of that sir.
Pretty sure they're switching to a new engine [UE5] so their entire pipeline has to adjust. Takes time.

I mean sure, but wasn't the point to save time in the first place?

Ev1L AuRoN

I hope they have a good sense this time to cancel the PS5/XSX version and focus on the next-gen only.
I don't think they can afford a new Cyberpunk fiasco.

Shubh_C63

I never lost faith in this developer.
W4 in UE5 is going to be amazing. Can't wait to waste 5-6 years of my life to play this.

Top Bottom