• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Remake Will Be Open World, CD Projekt Red Confirms

Draugoth

Gold Member
cd-projekt-red-anuncia-o-remake-do-primeiro-the-witcher-na-unreal-engine-5-080812.jpg

CD Projekt Red has confirmed that its Unreal Engine 5 remake of 2007's The Witcher will be fully open world.

Revealed during its third quarter financial results, CD Projekt Red briefly mentioned its announcement of The Witcher Remake, saying that it will be a "story-driven, single player open world RPG".

The studio had previously only confirmed that it would be another "full-fledged" Witcher game, but as the original is not open world, there was still speculation whether or not the remake would resemble the 2007 version or something closer to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Swift_Star

Banned
Good, also hope they go the elden ring direction and leave all the side activities purely to discovery, minimum ui and guidance and mostly exploration driven.
Ew, no, please no.
Rubbish, Witcher 1 was unique and didn’t need open world treatment. How do they plan to stick to the story then?
A game can be open world and linear.

Denton

I very much doubt you will be able to visit Lakeside or Vizima Merchant quarter right from the get go. The game will be open world as in new locations will become accessible with the story and seamlessly connected to the preceding ones, but story will still dictate where Geralt is.

It still means though that this remake will be more of a reimagination, which gives me hope they will also improve its story to make it better fit with the canon.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's what I expected, but it will be interesting to see how they adapt the game to that. I guess TW3 is also mostly linear story-wise though, so it will probably be fine.

Anyway, looking forward to this! I really enjoyed the original back when I played it, but I wouldn't want to play that version of the game again after having experienced TW3.

I wonder if they're gonna do TW2 too. It may not look as dated visually, but it's even more linear and less open. And just generally worse than the other two IMO.

Fredrik

Good, also hope they go the elden ring direction and leave all the side activities purely to discovery, minimum ui and guidance and mostly exploration driven.
That would be awesome. And while not made like that from the ground up they’re kinda trying it already with the nextgen patch of TW3 with a new map filter.

Elitro

Could be interesting! Although a journal would have to be present.

Nah, leave that for Elden Ring 2. Witcher needs a much more directed narrative/pathway. Maybe for side quests sure, but that's it.
ER had a light that told you where to go for the main quest, only the side quests were optional (and thus missable).

Fredrik

ER had a light that told you where to go for the main quest, only the side quests were optional (and thus missable).
ER should’ve had a journal as well, it’s my all-time #2 so I still love it but omg 350 hours played and I still don’t know in detail how to trigger some npc quests, they kinda just happen as I progress.

Ubisoft added modes to all their games that removed the hand holding aspect. It was a nice breath of fresh air, but also, not everyone has the time to explore every nook and cranny of a map. Some people just want to have fun, not have their time wasted.
A game has to be designed from the ground up with this in mind so the visual language leads towards exploration. You just cant turn off ui and expect to get a game that does it as well as elden ring. Playing assassins creed games like this usually sucks. Problem with designing games in a way to try to appease every kind of player. No vision and half ass every element.

Last edited:
A game has to be designed from the ground up with this in mind so the visual language leads towards exploration. You just cant turn off ui and expect to get a game that does it as well as elden ring. Playing assassins creed games like this usually sucks. Problem with designing games in a way to try to appease every kind of player. No vision and half ass every element.
I played FC5 and the last two Ass Creed games this way, plus Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I thought it was fine and well done for the most part.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Good, but.........

If they're making this open world with UE5 then I want a truly current gen open world sandbox to play in. Give me a map that is at least 250,000mi2 with hundreds of cities, towns and villages to explore. I want a map that would take me literal days non-stop to walk from one end to the other.

I played FC5 and the last two Ass Creed games this way, plus Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I thought it was fine and well done for the most part.
I did assass oddesy and break point, wasnt a fan of either because of this poor map design built for icons. Easy to get lost with 0 progress actually being made. In ER you always feel like you are progressing in some way.

I did assass oddesy and break point, wasnt a fan of either because of this poor map design built for icons. Easy to get lost with 0 progress actually being made. In ER you always feel like you are progressing in some way.
You are given a basic area location and some major terrain features and then you find the likely area and explore. I loved that. Thought the hints plus interacting with locals to get intro about something specific was well done.

It could have been better tho.

RCU005

After all these years with open world saturation, I believe open zones work better. When having an open world, I realized it’s just a check list of things to do. It’s much more difficult to contain bugs and glitches.

While The Witcher 3 had a great story and had good side stories, games should become more contained again.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Rubbish, Witcher 1 was unique and didn’t need open world treatment. How do they plan to stick to the story then?
The first Witcher is still my favorite (3 is narrowly behind!), so I'm a bit unsure of what to think. But surely they'll be keeping the strong dialogue of the first game, hopefully retain something close to Geralt's original look, and that amazing music, and if the open world ruins it... I'll just keep playing the original.

After all these years with open world saturation, I believe open zones work better. When having an open world, I realized it’s just a check list of things to do. It’s much more difficult to contain bugs and glitches.

While The Witcher 3 had a great story and had good side stories, games should become more contained again.
I think devs need to make better use of an open world. Have a story that takes you across the world but progressively. Less traveling halfway across the map for one quest just to travel the other way for the next.

DeaDPo0L84

This is the only Witcher game I haven't played so this news makes it even better, especially now that they've proven they can do open world right between 2 & 3.

Kadve

Its a remake not a remaster. They are most likely taking the basic story, characters and locations and making a brand new game out of it.

Anyway, the first Witcher is pure Eurojank and would definitely benefit from a new engine.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Maybe this will make the game better. They would then have to rework pretty much everything. I enjoyed playing Witcher 1 at the time, but in retrospect I wouldn't say it was good, and I've rarely seen as many bugs as in that game.

Oh shit, seriously??! So it’s getting like the FFVII Remake, RE2 remake treatment?

My excitement just went from basically nothing to like a full 100. I’ve never even played the original Witcher, this is awesome!

Braag

TW1 would work quite well as an open world game similar to TW3. I've played through that game like 4 times back when it was still fairly new. The prologue is in Kaer Morhen. You then go to Vizima outskirts during Ch1. Ch2 takes you from the Outskirts to inside of Vizima (Temple Quarter), you could also take the ferry to the swamps. Ch3 took place in Vizima also but now you could also access the Trade Quarter.
Ch 4 took you to Black Tern Island which which was kinda further away from Vizima. Finally Ch 5 and epilogue took place again on Vizima.

So as an open world game majority of the game would take place in Vizima most likely.

Good, but.........

If they're making this open world with UE5 then I want a truly current gen open world sandbox to play in. Give me a map that is at least 250,000mi2 with hundreds of cities, towns and villages to explore. I want a map that would take me literal days non-stop to walk from one end to the other.
You should play AC Odyssey and Valhalla if all you care about is size and not the quality of content.

Yes....but it made sense for the lore and didn't make it super feel linear or super directed. Still felt good and gave you a sense of freedom. Also, even if you followed it, it just gave you a general direction, it did not literally tell you what door to walk into or who to kill lol.

Last edited:
They are somewhat doing this for the Next Gen edition of Witcher 3 according to their latest dev diary video. The new Map UI looked great.

Mozzarella

If this was another RPG like VTMB i would be mad for it going LE OPEN WORLD again, but since this is Witcher 1 which was almost open world in 2007 but with limitation i kind of expected this to be open world, so no surprises here, but im not expecting anything impressive, its just going to be your standard open world game with points of interests, again the strength here will be the quests themselves and not the open world mechanics, physics and interactivity.

Lets hope its not too big for its own good, and lets hope its not bloated and bugged.

That's fairly easy, you can make it so that you need an item to progress from one region to another and that item is tied to the main story, and near the chapter 2 for example you get an item to progress to the region that unlock chapter 3 but this time you can go back to region of chapter 2 to do side quests, in this way its like you unlock the open world part by part.
It can work.
But its the NuCDPR we are talking about, bet they will make it open world with high level so that when you enter another late game region you face everything higher level than you and one shots you, which is the worse way of implementing story path imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom