• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Remake Will Be Open World, CD Projekt Red Confirms

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Alright, that sounds really good. I am hoping for some kind of content from The Lady of the Lake too. That would be a chef's kiss.

Really interested to see an open world game with UE5, although by the time they'll finish it we will probably have other open world games with that engine on the market already.

gela94

WOOOOOOOOW how did I miss, that they are doing a remake of Witcher 1, one of my favorite games ever?? Amazing news, I'm super hyped!
hype train GIF

Kamina

Golden Boy
Nice.
Being a pure Nintendo, mainly Zelda and Metroid player, i was negatively surprised when the game didn't allow me to return to previous areas for some reason.p, so it is good to hear that is fixed.

Zug

I wonder if they'll be bold enough to leave the naked ladies collection cards.
My younger me really enjoyed this feature.

Braag

Why not both? Why not have a map the size of France with quality content?
I know you're just trolling cause anyone with a brain would understand why we haven't seen a map the size of france filled with hand made quality content.
It would take forever and cost way too much for it to ever actually be profitable, in the end small amount of people would even see half of that content anyways, as less people finish larger games.
There's a reason why devs either make smaller maps or give you repetitive quests in their games, like Bethesda (radiant quests) and Ubisoft (million repetitive map markers) for example.

Kumomeme

my concern is combat. hopefully it wont have responsiveness issue like Witcher 3 does followed by hit box and weight problem. no need to be snappy like japanese game but dont make it feels like slog thats all.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

That might still not mean anything. The first Witcher did have some big open maps of the sort that have historically sometimes been called "open world" by marketing and reviewers..

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I know you're just trolling cause anyone with a brain would understand why we haven't seen a map the size of france filled with hand made quality content.
It would take forever and cost way too much for it to ever actually be profitable, in the end small amount of people would even see half of that content anyways, as less people finish larger games.
There's a reason why devs either make smaller maps or give you repetitive quests in their games, like Bethesda (radiant quests) and Ubisoft (million repetitive map markers) for example.

Not a troll. It's something I'd like to see and if it's not possible now then I hope it is in the future.

Really interested to see an open world game with UE5, although by the time they'll finish it we will probably have other open world games with that engine on the market already.
I probably won't be that different from open world games that were on previous versions of Unreal. Days Gone, Arkham/Gotham Knights... it really comes down to the talent and budget of the dev. Tech demos aren't really indicative of what you get in the end.
I have faith in whatever they make. TW3 is one of the best games ever, and I also enjoyed CP2077 a lot even though I do believe it wasn't as good as it could have been.
This isn't being made by CDPR's main team. Not that the main team of Witcher 3 was still around by the time CP2077 launched...
Good, but.........

If they're making this open world with UE5 then I want a truly current gen open world sandbox to play in. Give me a map that is at least 250,000mi2 with hundreds of cities, towns and villages to explore. I want a map that would take me literal days non-stop to walk from one end to the other.
Starfield will have you covered.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They should probably elaborate on what they mean by open world. A Witcher 3 open world type of style would be amazing for a remake of the first game.

I hope at some point they can make the ultimate Witcher game where you can make your own Witcher and go on quests and stuff and have it be super huge but I'm just dreaming.

sendit

They should probably elaborate on what they mean by open world. A Witcher 3 open world type of style would be amazing for a remake of the first game.

I hope at some point they can make the ultimate Witcher game where you can make your own Witcher and go on quests and stuff and have it be super huge but I'm just dreaming.
You just described Skyrim.

Fools idol

Banned
CDPR as a public company that has shareholders who are panicking in the shadow of the Cyberpunk abomination is the only reason this is even happening in the first place. Going back to the tried and true to make some cash off nostalgic fans is the oldest trick in the book.

DavJay

Back when we needed to differentiate remake and remaster. Now we also need to use reimagine.

Remaster = higher frame rate, maybe small tweaks in gameplay HD remasters

Persona 5 BR
Kingdom Hearts Collections

Remake = recreated from ground up but retains similar feel in gameplay

The Last of Us Part 1
Shadow of Colossus PS4

Reimagining = same main plot but doesn’t follow the original 1:1, gameplay difference

RE2 and 3, FFVII

Top Bottom