• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Season 3 Production Will Begin in Early 2022

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a production schedule that was recently unearthed by Redanian Intelligence, Season 3 of The Witcher is currently poised to enter the production phase beginning in the first quarter of 2022. This means that filming could begin at any point between January 2022 or March 2022 based on Netflix's current estimation. Again, it's worth stressing that this is only an estimation after all since production schedules can change on a dime. This is especially true given the current state of the world when it comes to the ongoing pandemic.

Hard to make comparisons to the books in terms of which season is adopting which book, as the show runners seem to be adopting different stories and elements from different books. Judging by season one they seem to have watered down some of the stories and even gone as far as to occlude important characters so it’s hard to predict what will happen in Season 2 and 3.

Although It’s great to hear that season three has been green lit by Netflix, however I would say that the series is the least of my favourite out of the three (books and games).

Will get Netflix again in December when season 2 comes out. Happy this series has been really successful. After season one I was kinda worried the average viewer would not get it and stop watching after an episode or two. Now it's one of the most streamed shows on Netflix.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Witcher Season 2 is fast approaching its release date on December 17th, and while all eyes might be focused on the Netflis series' latest outing, it was previously announced that Netflix had picked up the show for a Season 3. During a recent panel at the Lucca Comics & Games 2021 festival in Italy, The Witcher showrunner Lauren S. Hissrich actually offered a tease of plans for Season 3. And, according to her, there will be both death and monsters among other things.

"What I will say about the third season," said Hissrich of the third season when asked during the panel, "the writers are back in Los Angeles diligently working while I am here getting to do this, so I'm grateful for them. [...] It's a really fun season

bbeach123

All the witcher except Geralt is trash , I wonder how they survive for this long while being a freking monster hunter . A bunch of headless chicken even when fighting trash mob .

Oh and the Lodge too, bunch of useless wizard .

Last edited:

hlm666

All the witcher except Geralt is trash , I wonder how they survive for this long while being a freking monster hunter . A bunch of headless chicken even when fighting trash mob .

Oh and the Lodge too, bunch of useless wizard .
They arn't the super human power houses in the book they are in the game. There is an old completely human bounty hunter who kills witchers for sport, and Geralt gets smashed up enough times it gets old. If they don't know what they are fighting and prepare and exploit any weaknesses there's a pretty good possibility they will even be killed by said monsters.

They arn't the super human power houses in the book they are in the game. There is an old completely human bounty hunter who kills witchers for sport, and Geralt gets smashed up enough times it gets old. If they don't know what they are fighting and prepare and exploit any weaknesses there's a pretty good possibility they will even be killed by said monsters.

They’re actually more powerful than your average person. We can actually class Geralt as a super human too, the amount of people that get their ass kicked by him is too many. A good example is the Thanned Coup, right before he gets curbstompped by you know who he takes out a dozen soldiers with ease.

Of course Geralt is only a fish in a much larger tank, there are other characters who can easily defeat him but they’re all mostly Mages and Sorceresses.

As for the example of the bounty hunter you are using, he is only one example, it’s not a trend for Witchers to be defeated easily.

Fuz

Banned
Animated GIF

Markio128

Witcher season 2 was a mixed bag for me. Some episodes were great and others were a bit confusing. But most importantly, I just didn’t buy into Yennefer’s betrayal. It’s like The Witcher was trying to be GOT.

Boy bawang

Unlike foundation, which really pissed me off, I think they Witcher is a very competent adaptation. It's just goofy enough, I like it.

SaucyJack

Unlike foundation, which really pissed me off, I think they Witcher is a very competent adaptation. It's just goofy enough, I like it.

Agree, on both shows.

Witcher hasn't been perfect, the story has been a bit overcomplicated if you're not familiar with it already - I'm constantly having to explain the plot to my other half - and some of the casting choices are not ideal but all in all it's a very decently made adaption of the books.

Foundation was just effing frustrating.

YCoCg

S1 had HDR.
I know? I said the HDR was a HUGE improvement over Season 1. The HDR in Season 1 was just OK, a bit washed out, but Season 2's implementation of it is much better and makes more use of the highlights and dark ranges, especially with the scenes in the witcher alchemist labs.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finished watching Season 2 and it was fine. The show suffers very much from the soundstage problem where everything looks and feels like it is taking place on a soundstage. One thing that Game of Thrones did that was BRILLIANT, was having the opening theme show a map of the relevant areas. In Witcher you had no clue of where things were taking place and I feel that hurt the show drastically.

base

Banned
It would be much better produced if HBO was involved. Netflix is such a mess.

According to Redanianintelligence, they wanted to make Ciri a lesbian. She would have feelings towards Triss. Lambert was going to be bisexual.

Shai-Tan

Banned
This show illustrates how downhill Netflix has gone since Altered Carbon season 1 (the last live action show of theirs that I wanted to binge). You would think they would improve casting/writing etc when a show proves popular but nope, just more aggressively mediocre tv. Some of the actors were saying their lines like they were extras off the street. Season 1 had some dodgy acting but it was one off characters not major characters in the series. I'm afraid to continue watching to the end. I wasn't expecting The Wheel of Time to come off better than this.

This show illustrates how downhill Netflix has gone since Altered Carbon season 1 (the last live action show of theirs that I wanted to binge). You would think they would improve casting/writing etc when a show proves popular but nope, just more aggressively mediocre tv. Some of the actors were saying their lines like they were extras off the street. Season 1 had some dodgy acting but it was one off characters not major characters in the series. I'm afraid to continue watching to the end. I wasn't expecting The Wheel of Time to come off better than this.

The Wheel of Time was an absolute shit show compared to The Witcher Season 2 (and the former wasn't even bad, just derivative and serviceable at best).

There was no problem with the acting in the TW:SE02. Are you sure you're not confusing the two shows because Wheel of Time absolutely had some dodgy-ass acting, no question (in fact most of the main characters were anywhere from insufferable to entirely unlikeable).

It would be much better produced if HBO was involved. Netflix is such a mess.

According to Redanianintelligence, they wanted to make Ciri a lesbian. She would have feelings towards Triss. Lambert was going to be bisexual.
Henry Cavill said he only had interest in this role and the Mass Effect script that Amazon is developing if they stayed mostly true to the source material. Netflix couldn’t go full out woke because of him, basically. The show is much better for it. They did go diverse with some of the casting, but I’m ok with that.

Tams

The Wheel of Time was an absolute shit show compared to The Witcher Season 2 (and the former wasn't even bad, just derivative and serviceable at best).

There was no problem with the acting in the TW:SE02. Are you sure you're not confusing the two shows because Wheel of Time absolutely had some dodgy-ass acting, no question (in fact most of the main characters were anywhere from insufferable to entirely unlikeable).
I think what's happened is that Wheel of Time has been very heavily carried by Rosamund Pike and Daniel Henney (although the Pike as a producer too might have led to some of the fuck up that it is). Their performances and prominent screen time stand out.

While Henry Cavill also carries The Witcher a lot, the rest of the cast aren't all bad or mediocre. Though it seems that he is the only thing that has stopped the director and producers turning it into shit.

I think what's happened is that Wheel of Time has been very heavily carried by Rosamund Pike and Daniel Henney (although the Pike as a producer too might have led to some of the fuck up that it is). Their performances and prominent screen time stand out.

While Henry Cavill also carries The Witcher a lot, the rest of the cast aren't all bad or mediocre. Though it seems that he is the only thing that has stopped the director and producers turning it into shit.

I'm sorry I disagree and can't understand this sentiment.

Henry Cavil isn't the showrunner, director or writer for the series and he's not the only one with a stand-out on-screen presence.

Anya Chalotra carried season 1 more than Cavil did, imho, and although subdued as a character in season 2, she's no less a presence when on-screen. In season 2, though, Ciri was much better. Then you have characters like Vesimir, Dandelion, Fringilla, Triss, etc etc... there were some really great characters all round in that show.

base

Banned
I know? I said the HDR was a HUGE improvement over Season 1. The HDR in Season 1 was just OK, a bit washed out, but Season 2's implementation of it is much better and makes more use of the highlights and dark ranges, especially with the scenes in the witcher alchemist labs.
Watching S1 now for comparison. You're totally right. It's like night and day now.

A.Romero

S2 is OK. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Book fans seem to hate it because it doesn't follow on the books faithfully but that's usually the case.

I'm interested in watching more and I'm glad they are introducing the wild hunt. I was expected second season would set it up so S3 would match third game but I guess they are planning more seasons or are diverging much more.

base

Banned
Henry Cavill said he only had interest in this role and the Mass Effect script that Amazon is developing if they stayed mostly true to the source material. Netflix couldn’t go full out woke because of him, basically. The show is much better for it. They did go diverse with some of the casting, but I’m ok with that.
They didn't want to follow the books because it would be too much to handle. I think Netflix is aiming for 5/6 seasons at most.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I LOVED Season 2. Can't wait for The Witcher Blood Origins show coming up next!!!
Don't know why they call the Show the Witcher, he's a side character to the two sorceresses. The whole world in the series knows of and talks about the two ladies, he's not even a talking point.

Hope he gets to be more in the center of things going forward.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Redanian Intelligence revealed that pre-production for Season 3 will finally ramp up throughout January. For excited Witcher fans, this means that filming could potentially begin in early March 2022.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

ultrazilla

According to a production schedule that was recently unearthed by Redanian Intelligence, Season 3 of The Witcher is currently poised to enter the production phase beginning in the first quarter of 2022. This means that filming could begin at any point between January 2022 or March 2022 based on Netflix's current estimation. Again, it's worth stressing that this is only an estimation after all since production schedules can change on a dime. This is especially true given the current state of the world when it comes to the ongoing pandemic.

Hope the writing is much better for season 3 because 2 was terrible imo. Felt disjointed and a lot of stupid decisions and out of character actions lead me to believe that the writing team is freaking clueless for the most part.
There's also too much focus on background characters and I felt that Geralt should have had a lot more screen time. The other Witchers were written terrible sloppy. Bad ass Witchers going out like punks? And Ciri. Ok with Ciri. We get it. She's powerful. But damn, the writers can tone it down while still getting her importance across. It just seems way the fuck overboard with how they're pushing her over Geralt. It's "The Witcher" not "Ciri".

And
The writers really fucked us over Roach. Total horseshit no pun intended. The fact Cavill had to write his own dialogue for Roach's death because the writers weren't going to do it speaks volumes on the state of the whole writing team. Cavill needs to start throwing his weight around and get these writers turned around quickly or have them shown the fucking door.

I could barely make it to the last episode as I was just bored beyond belief with pretty much the whole season. Netflix really needs to step the fuck in and get the writing room situated. I mean, the books are already fucking wrote. It can't be *that* hard to you know, stick with the books/characterizations without going off on wild tangents that totally betray the established lore of the character(s).

It feels like they're trying to make their "Game of Thrones" and just totally missing the aspects of the Witcher that make it what it is. I'm not even excited for season 3 at this point. They'll fuck it up. Sigh.

Top Bottom