• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Season 3 Production Will Begin in Early 2022

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hope the writing is much better for season 3 because 2 was terrible imo. Felt disjointed and a lot of stupid decisions and out of character actions lead me to believe that the writing team is freaking clueless for the most part.
There's also too much focus on background characters and I felt that Geralt should have had a lot more screen time. The other Witchers were written terrible sloppy. Bad ass Witchers going out like punks? And Ciri. Ok with Ciri. We get it. She's powerful. But damn, the writers can tone it down while still getting her importance across. It just seems way the fuck overboard with how they're pushing her over Geralt. It's "The Witcher" not "Ciri".

And
The writers really fucked us over Roach. Total horseshit no pun intended. The fact Cavill had to write his own dialogue for Roach's death because the writers weren't going to do it speaks volumes on the state of the whole writing team. Cavill needs to start throwing his weight around and get these writers turned around quickly or have them shown the fucking door.

I could barely make it to the last episode as I was just bored beyond belief with pretty much the whole season. Netflix really needs to step the fuck in and get the writing room situated. I mean, the books are already fucking wrote. It can't be *that* hard to you know, stick with the books/characterizations without going off on wild tangents that totally betray the established lore of the character(s).

It feels like they're trying to make their "Game of Thrones" and just totally missing the aspects of the Witcher that make it what it is. I'm not even excited for season 3 at this point. They'll fuck it up. Sigh.
Realllyyyy? I really liked Season 2. I felt that the dichotomy between the game and the show actually compliments one another. I would have liked to see more Geralt, but I was intrigued with Ciri and Yennifer's backstories being filled in by the show.

Roach...yea what the fuck, I'm with you there.

I binge watched the entire second season and though you're right it was a bit disjointed I felt the same in Game of Thrones and eventually it all started coming together. We'll see if next season kinda ties up some loose ends.

I never played the first Witcher game. I know in Witcher 2 there were a few Witchers around that Geralt met. In the Witcher 3 I believe Letho is still alive right? I'm trying to pinpoint the timing of the show compared to the game. Would this take place at the same time as the first Witcher? There are flashbacks in The Witcher 3 to when Ciri was training, but it didn't really go too deep into it like the show did.

Fuz

Banned
Season 2 was brilliant
Highly-polished-turd.jpg

Realllyyyy? I really liked Season 2. I felt that the dichotomy between the game and the show actually compliments one another. I would have liked to see more Geralt, but I was intrigued with Ciri and Yennifer's backstories being filled in by the show.

Roach...yea what the fuck, I'm with you there.

I binge watched the entire second season and though you're right it was a bit disjointed I felt the same in Game of Thrones and eventually it all started coming together. We'll see if next season kinda ties up some loose ends.

I never played the first Witcher game. I know in Witcher 2 there were a few Witchers around that Geralt met. In the Witcher 3 I believe Letho is still alive right? I'm trying to pinpoint the timing of the show compared to the game. Would this take place at the same time as the first Witcher? There are flashbacks in The Witcher 3 to when Ciri was training, but it didn't really go too deep into it like the show did.

I believe the show events are all prequel to The Witcher 1.

I think all or if not most of the story of the books happens before the games.

I didn't enjoy season 2 at all.

Season 1 was fine and somewhat entertaining but season 2 fell flat on its face.

What were your biggest criticisms? And have you read the books?

From reading online, it seems those who have read and are fans of the books are the ones with the biggest issues with Season 2 (since it strays from the books so much).

Having never read the books, TW:S02 was really entertaining for me and I largely enjoyed the show and the treatment of the characters.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I believe the show events are all prequel to The Witcher 1.

I think all or if not most of the story of the books happens before the games.

What were your biggest criticisms? And have you read the books?

From reading online, it seems those who have read and are fans of the books are the ones with the biggest issues with Season 2 (since it strays from the books so much).

Having never read the books, TW:S02 was really entertaining for me and I largely enjoyed the show and the treatment of the characters.
Hmmm never read the books either. When comes to movie adaptations from books, I'm almost always disappointed. One really outstanding example was the Dark Tower movie. I wanted to choke whoever made the movie. However, because the books are so old, most people felt the same as I do. Ready Player One was another example.

One book to movie adaptation that was done well was The Martian.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I wish shows had more people like Cavil in them. He's passionate about it and wants to see all the fiction adapted it seems. I'd love somebody to have that much passion about some actual good material.

Reactions: Fuz
Hope the writing is much better for season 3 because 2 was terrible imo. Felt disjointed and a lot of stupid decisions and out of character actions lead me to believe that the writing team is freaking clueless for the most part.

What were the disjointed parts of season 2 for you and the out of character actions you felt were most egregious?

Is it because you've read the books that you felt the characterisation in the show was so divergent?

There's also too much focus on background characters and I felt that Geralt should have had a lot more screen time. The other Witchers were written terrible sloppy. Bad ass Witchers going out like punks? And Ciri. Ok with Ciri. We get it. She's powerful. But damn, the writers can tone it down while still getting her importance across. It just seems way the fuck overboard with how they're pushing her over Geralt. It's "The Witcher" not "Ciri".

I agree with this, although from the little I know about the book lore, it seems important to convey the more political aspects of the story through the lens of the lesser characters actually involved in those subplots. No?

Even in the books, Geralt isn't involved in every subplot within the story of the books. He is in the games, but that's for pretty obvious reasons because the game would be jarring if it randomly punted you over to controlling a random new character midway through; since it's an RPG.

And
The writers really fucked us over Roach. Total horseshit no pun intended. The fact Cavill had to write his own dialogue for Roach's death because the writers weren't going to do it speaks volumes on the state of the whole writing team. Cavill needs to start throwing his weight around and get these writers turned around quickly or have them shown the fucking door.

What is the backstory here, because this seems absurd. Did the writing team and Cavil/the producers have a falling out or something?

I could barely make it to the last episode as I was just bored beyond belief with pretty much the whole season. Netflix really needs to step the fuck in and get the writing room situated. I mean, the books are already fucking wrote. It can't be *that* hard to you know, stick with the books/characterizations without going off on wild tangents that totally betray the established lore of the character(s).

It feels like they're trying to make their "Game of Thrones" and just totally missing the aspects of the Witcher that make it what it is. I'm not even excited for season 3 at this point. They'll fuck it up. Sigh.

Sorry, you feel this way. I really don't share your sentiments. Though I'm curious to learn more about your specific grievances with the show.

It just seems really odd to me that this show can be so polarising.

Unlike shows like GoT, wherein the final two seasons, it's pretty unanimously agreed that the show went to creamy stinky shit. I personally think that the current Netflix Witcher show, though divergent from the story of the books, has been a largely entertaining romp for me so far.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I was possibly over negative after the first half due to the bad acting and a bit of over hype looking at their witcher encyclopedia episodes before watching. I liked the first season despite it being Xena Warrior Princess levels of bad in some episodes (e.g. the one about the dragon). Trying to keep an open mind as I watch the rest of the season.

Season 1 was good. I had my hopes for second season and it was bad. Budget was high but story was badly written at times. The idea of giving mutagen to Ciri, witchers being just cannon fodder, reveal about Emhyr, trying to insert Wild Hunt into story. Too many bad decisions.

I really should finally watch this series and see if me not having read the books will leave me with a positive feeling towards season 2.
I haven’t read the books and I didn’t think season 2 was very good at all. Stupid writing and full of absolutely bonkers decisions where I found myself saying out loud ‘surely they must be joking!’ Or ‘fucking really?!’.

When my wife told me about the books it made scratch my head even more and think much worse of the show.

Season 3 for me is the last chance they have to get it right. Otherwise I’ll stick to the Anime movies which so far have been amazing.

Right...and yet...its one of the most watched shows on Netflix...

Its all great fun. Yall take this way too seriously.
yes it's one of the most watched show in Netflix.

The series was one of the most profitable too, but Netflix itself does not like to increase the budget of the series so that the series can get out of this bad situation. From acting, cinematographer, visual effects, writing, director and ...

these are the bad things about the series. it's not top-notch like a game, seems like a very low-budget tv series.

Reactions: Fuz

Raven117

yes it's one of the most watched show in Netflix.

The series was one of the most profitable too, but Netflix itself does not like to increase the budget of the series so that the series can get out of this bad situation. From acting, cinematographer, visual effects, writing, director and ...

these are the bad things about the series. it's not top-notch like a game, seems like a very low-budget tv series.
Sorry you don’t like it.

Most people seem to get a kick out of it. It’s not a big deal one way or another

Laptop1991

I didn't like season 2 apart from the 1st episode, for me the writing was bad and made no sense in places, hopefully 3 will be better if not then i wont watch it, alot of new fantasy shows stray too far from the source material in my opinion

EDMIX

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

Lets not go too far lol

I like 1 out of 3 games. aka Witcher 1

The story was shit in all of them.

The gameplay got worse as the series went on.

The NPCs are some of the dumbest in all of gaming. Like PS1 level of dumb just repeating the same robot lines lol

So thus far.....I like the show better, I have zero issues with that show, I have like 1000x with those games, even the ones I liked lol

Fuz

Banned
I like 1 out of 3 games. aka Witcher 1

The story was shit in all of them.

The gameplay got worse as the series went on.

The NPCs are some of the dumbest in all of gaming. Like PS1 level of dumb just repeating the same robot lines lol

So thus far.....I like the show better, I have zero issues with that show, I have like 1000x with those games, even the ones I liked lol
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Director Stephen Surjik recently talked to Brigade Radio about Season 3 and his experience working with Netflix. While confirming that he is indeed directing the first two episodes of Season 3, he also confirmed that the producers and writers of The Witcher have already mapped out Season 4.

Though he did not give any further details, including the possibility of his involvement in Season 4, it is exciting news for The Witcher fans that Season 4 may be close to being greenlit.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Filming for Season 3 of Netflix’s The Witcher is currently in full motion after its start in Italy and Slovenia last month. After adding Croatia to its location list, the Henry Cavill, Anya Chalotra and Freya Allan series returned to England to continue its shoots.

The first two weeks in England saw a number of English locations around London. Namely the Epping Forest where they filmed what seems like a highlight of the first two episodes: Belleteyn. As we reported before, early in Season 3, Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri attend Belleteyn and spend some time together.

Back to the Witcher studio​

Yennefer.jpg

After all of the locations filming moved to Longcross Studios and things have been relatively quiet. We do know, however, that all three of our leads, Henry Cavill, Anya Chalotra and Freya Allan, have been consistently present for both night shoots and day shoots.

Furthermore, at one point we know they filmed a scene with Yennefer doing some magic in front of a blue screen. That’s not much to go on, so it’s hard to guess what scene that was. Nonetheless, Yennefer’s magic is back!

Among other actors who were at the studio recently are Tom Canton and Mahesh Jadu, who portray Filavandrel and Vilgefortz respectively. Both shared interior and exterior shots of a production truck and a trailer. Other than that, we heard Robbie Amell, who plays a new elf called Gallatin, was present at one of the locations in the previous weeks, but we couldn’t find out which.

Glad to see people enjoyed season two, it had some great moments and had some levity to it which I think it needed. I personally didn't like it much, one of the main reasons being how much it deviated from the book which isn't a problem in itself, but I do feel the books tell a much better story and the characters are written much better (especially Yennefer and Geralt).

I'm super stoked for season three, if they do decide to go in the direction of the books then we should get Geralt vs. Vigefortz on Thannedd, which is one of my favourite fights in the series...if you can even call it a fight...it's pretty much one sided.

That being said the books aren't anything special either, they come no where near the level of story telling and characters to say something like Game of Thrones.

Top Bottom