• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The writer behind Deus Ex has joined BioWare

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mary DeMarle spent more than a decade at Eidos Montreal building the Deux Ex universe fans know today.

DeMarle was in charge of the narrative and writing in all recent Deus Ex titles, including Mankind Divided, Human Revolution, and mobile spin-offs Deus Ex: Go and Deus Ex: The Fall.

She also created the story and led the writing team for 2021’s Guardians of the Galaxy, which won the Game Award for Best Narrative.

The narrative designer shared the BioWare news on her LinkedIn page on Friday, but did not specify any specific projects. It’s possible she could be involved in either the upcoming Dragon Age Dreadwolf or Mass Effect 4.

giphy.gif

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
so she was responsible for the horrible trash lady dialogue/mission in DX:HR?

Regardless, good luck to her. may she earn many high dollar paychecks at bioware before the project is cancelled or released in an aborted state.

Oh my God.

Apocryphon

The writing in Andromeda wasn't great but it was also the least of it's problems. It'll be interesting to see if this amounts to anything meaningful for Bioware.

Jaybe

GotG was so well realized with its characters and heart. I believe she won a Game Awards award for it. I remember thinking, yeah, they got that category right. Great Writing talent seems so few and far between. Getting her is quite the catch for BioWare. Hope it’s for ME4.

Edit: found the Awards clip.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I still have hope we will get another Deus Ex game. I expect the new publisher will remaster the first couple of games and hopefully they will be convinced to fund a new game similar to what happened with Darksiders 3.

Wildebeest

But Embracer Group are like turbo Jesus. They are going to save single player narrative based gaming for everyone from villains like Square Enix. Why would a writer run from their embrace to EA?

Wildebeest

I thought "The writer behind Deus Ex" was working on System Shock 3 or did that version get killed off?
I believe the writer for Deus Ex and Invisible War only ever worked in the industry on those two titles. You can just assume most philistines probably only care about the Allen Jetson story, and for them that is Deus Ex.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

ButchCat

Both the game and creative directors left as well. Our best chance of getting anything from that universe is prob a remake of the original at this point.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Mary DeMarle spent more than a decade at Eidos Montreal building the Deux Ex universe fans know today.

DeMarle was in charge of the narrative and writing in all recent Deus Ex titles, including Mankind Divided, Human Revolution, and mobile spin-offs Deus Ex: Go and Deus Ex: The Fall.

She also created the story and led the writing team for 2021’s Guardians of the Galaxy, which won the Game Award for Best Narrative.

The narrative designer shared the BioWare news on her LinkedIn page on Friday, but did not specify any specific projects. It’s possible she could be involved in either the upcoming Dragon Age Dreadwolf or Mass Effect 4.

Deus Ex and GotG - some great writing cred. I hope she's working on Mass effect 4. It would be great to get a new ME of the caliber of the original trilogy.

Spaceman292

Banned
so she was responsible for the horrible trash lady dialogue/mission in DX:HR?

Regardless, good luck to her. may she earn many high dollar paychecks at bioware before the project is cancelled or released in an aborted state.

I thought this was just a placeholder that they forgot to remove before release

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
GotG was so well realized with its characters and heart. I believe she won a Game Awards award for it. I remember thinking, yeah, they got that category right. Great Writing talent seems so few and far between. Getting her is quite the catch for BioWare. Hope it’s for ME4.

Edit: found the Awards clip.

Dang, she seems like a legit talent--comes off as intelligent, caring, and humble in that clip. Excited to see what comes next from her.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Deus ex showed flashes of greatness mass effect had a better story, hacking but if you’re BioWare after andromeda you’re desperate.

yurinka

Very talented. In Guardians of the Galaxy did a great job in writing but the characters were too annoying since thye didn't shut up for more than 10 seconds and were constantly screaming each other and complaining, or telling you what to do if you without letting you to investigate or figure out stuff by your own.

But well, this isn't an issue of the writer, it's more an issue of the narrative director or the lead designer.

Last edited:
I am playing it and am already fucking tired of this mid game. The story is also serviceable mcu quality. Nothing stands out.
With your post and the last person quoting me, I think there's a misunderstanding happening here. I'm not trying to prop up GoTG to be some amazing game, nor does it matter to me if people like it or not, as I don't care enough to defend it. All I was trying to point out was that the game itself shows these studios have the potential and the go-ahead to take a marvel game in that direction if they wanted to. Obviously you would need incredible writers to do it successfully, same with any narrative centric game, but no one is blocking them from doing so.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Following VGC’s story earlier this week that veteran narrative director Mary DeMarle had joined BioWare, Mass Effect 4’s director Michael Gamble confirmed on Monday that she will be working on EA’s own big sci-fi series.

“Oh, hey! I’m really excited to let you know that Mary DeMarle will be joining the Mass Effect team as Senior Narrative Director,” he wrote. “You’ve seen her work in Guardians of the Galaxy & Deus Ex (to name a few!). She’s amazing.”

The shift will likely be welcomed by fans of Mass Effect, considering DeMarle’s celebrated work on not just the modern Deus Ex games, but also last year’s Guardians of the Galaxy, for which she won the Game Award for Best Narrative.

Top Bottom