• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox One Reveal - A Tragic Play in Three Parts

Obscured

Good synopsis. Not quite sure what to think at this time. I'm not ready to burn them at the stake yet, but if the uproar causes some second thoughts that isn't a bad thing. The biggest thing I am seeing is companies wanting to do the slow tease and I'm not sure we live in that world. Bungie got hate for not showing gameplay, Sony got hate for not showing the actual box, MS got hate for a few things. Not that I am equating these reveals, but noticing a trend. Companies have a tendency of wanting to talk about specific things at specific times and when they get questions that don't fit the script things tend to escalate.

I'm not sure this is incompetence, obscurificatiin, or sticking to a script that no one is primarily interested in. Whether some if this stuff pans out or not one thing they need to figure out us how to communicate the information their consumers are looking for as opposed to the information they want to share.

I wasn't disappointed by the reveal, but I was expecting a soft reveal with the games coming at E3, but they need to transform some of these marketing speak snippets and turn them into something we care about.

Vodh

To be perfectly honest, if this was the first moneygrabbing bullshit move by Microsoft, I wouldn't be so much against it.

But they've already made suckers of their customers by offering services that are free everywhere else for a fee - and I'm always anxious to see greedy corporations full of hubris humbled. And that together with all from the first post (and a dash of TV TV TV to boot) is the full reason I really wish the whole situation bites Microsoft in the ass and bites hard.

Because if it doesn't, they will never learn and might even end up fucking up the industry by demonstrating just how much they can get away with.

jvm

Gamasutra.
They have over 40million paying Xbox Live players currently on the 360, yet people are bitching it should all be free. If you are in business or even remotely clued into making money, why would you walk away from 40+million paying customers?
They have 46+ million accounts, but that's not nearly the same as 46 million people paying for Xbox Live. The last time they reported it, paying Live customers were about half of the total.

DESTROYA

DRM fee, the OP's can see what they wrote but for a small few you can see it too after you authenticate it with an online code and download it to your hard drive.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
They have 46+ million accounts, but that's not nearly the same as 46 million people paying for Xbox Live. The last time they reported it, paying Live customers were about half of the total.

I thought you had to pay to use XBL to begin with?

ironcreed

Banned
To be perfectly honest, if this was the first moneygrabbing bullshit move by Microsoft, I wouldn't be so much against it.

But they've already made suckers of their customers by offering services that are free everywhere else for a fee - and I'm always anxious to see greedy corporations full of hubris humbled. And that together with all from the first post (and a dash of TV TV TV to boot) is the full reason I really wish the whole situation bites Microsoft in the ass and bites hard.

Because if it doesn't, they will never learn and might even end up fucking up the industry by demonstrating just how much they can get away with.

This is something everyone needs to keep in mind. All of the add-ons, paying for online play and services that nobody else charges for, can't even get a demo on time unless you are a member of Gold, etc. Now, not only are they keeping the subscription, but they designed an entire console around even more non-gaming related stuff that will also be behind the paywall. Add in the always online DRM, mandatory Kinect and trying to kill off used games as well... my god, man Enough is enough. Microsoft can rot for all I care.

Revan

The one thing (even more then the used game issue) that seriously pisses me off about this entire MS fiasco is the online DRM. I have a kid. Say hypothetically I have to go away for a week for work or whatever, my kid goes to stay with my folks and they don't have an internet connection. He's effectively locked out of a 500$+ purchase (console + games) because they don't have an internet connection.

How at all is this a consumer friendly product?

This whole situation is bloody infuriating to me.

GAF: I want to sell and buy used games
MS: We will support used games. You will be able to sell your games. More details later

GAF: Fuck you. I never give a shit about the online passes on PS3 games, and I fucking loved the day one digital sales on PS3! But for some reason I hate you because you are doing things that already happen!

Sony: We bought Gaikai
GAF: I love you Sony! You are so good! I have no idea what you will do with Gaikai but I already loved it!

MS: Cloud is the future dude
GAF: You liar!

LOL @ YOU. SHIT LOL @ FUCKING YOU.

Will all the stealth marketers please stand up.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Excellent read, hopefully useful. Lazy journalists have all the material in the OP to make an article about what is at stake for uninformed customers. If the mass media plays it soft with MS, this bill will pass.

If you mean part of the actual 1 hour filmed presentation, then of course you're right. I'm using reveal for a catchall of all the info we received on the day of the presentation.

That said, they revealed other than that ->

NFL Deal for $400 Million
EA Sports Engine (which is just a multiplatform engine)
Quantum Break (with a comically bizarre video)
Snap
Halo TV with Spielberg
New Xbox Controller
Xbox One Design

It's a shame that this "drm shit" undermines what may have been some decent things. I think the new Xbox Controller seems rad, for example. Will buy for my PC when available. But this "drm shit" is also so bad that it by necessity obfuscates all this other stuff... it's that terrible.

How dare you to forget the new dog and fish AI.

The good news is that if MS does this I actually might really stop gaming. Online only, DRM, kinect always on, 1984 bs ... there is literally no better time to stop gaming. I could go to Sony yeah, but I've been feeling like I need to be more productive and stop wasting so much time and money on videogames anyway.

This next generation is only going to be more time, more money, and more frustration and at the end of the day I won't even own the dang games --- Microsofts servers will.

Amir0x

Banned
Aww nice summary but I thought you were going to really relate it to a play.

Act I: Hype

People are excited for the Xbone, but bad omens abound. Some shrug the negative rumors off as fanboy hate, and Microsoft declares its noble intentions

Act II: Reveal

The tragic MS falls into the trap we all saw coming, and plays right into its customers' worst fears.

Act III: Fallout

MS stands by its policies, whether out of delusion or hubris, has an underwhelming E3 and ultimately fails upon launch, but not before doing almost irreparable damage to the rest of the industry. Fortinbras makes a speech

Can we have a musical number where Phil Harrison and Kaz Hirai reminiscence about the old times

Did you ever wonder
why we always failed
had our plans tossed asunder
as I went to MS and bailed

Did it never occur
when Vita in flames
and your vision a blur
it was all just games!

The good news is that if MS does this I actually might really stop gaming. Online only, DRM, kinect always on, 1984 bs ... there is literally no better time to stop gaming. I could go to Sony yeah, but I've been feeling like I need to be more productive and stop wasting so much time and money on videogames anyway.

This next generation is only going to be more time, more money, and more frustration and at the end of the day I won't even own the dang games --- Microsofts servers will.

If Sony went with this stuff, I think I'll tough it out on Wii U until the final true end. then sadly wonder the halls of a once great industry as I wait for it to regain its sense and have a rebirth

GlamFM

Banned
Act IV: The internet makes fun of it.

UmbfEKF.jpg

ibkuDzSSwoBzQ2.gif

No fucking way. I mean, I'm glad they reduced it and all but... were they fuckin surprised at the reaction? What the hell did they expect? Are they insane?

Even the stuff they have now resulted in a big backlash. Can you imagine if they went through with it? The only reason I can think of is that they are really confident with the cloud stuff they have (or had).

QaaQer

The last part is my favorite - the media and their role in legitimizing Microsoft's efforts. I wish I had access to more information on the motives behind these statements, but there is definitely a push toward acceptance and hype of the Xbox One with a strong diminishing effect of any negative opinions. Of course, all media outlets strive to do this in the interest of servicing those who grant them information and perhaps payment.

I think this will be the interesting story over the next 6 months. This console is going to have a bunch of odious 'features' no matter what the reaction is in the gaming community, so it will be interesting to see how the gaming press reacts. So far, in podcasts and the like, the only hugely negative responses are from people like Sterling and Angry Joe, who as part of their only personae are contrarian and angry (not that they are faking it or lying, just that that is part of their schtick).

Most of the rest that I've read and heard have been of the 'wait and see', 'people are over reacting', 'looks cool and I like it, but I can see where some people might have a problem with it', and even a few 'gamers are basement dwelling neckbeards, this is great (kuchera)'.

I'm guessing there is a lot of furiouss PR stuff going on behind the background here that we'll never know about, and this is where personal releations between media types and PR types will really pay off for a company like MS.

For example, one of the bombcast guys went to a ms PR guy's wedding. Now, if you are close enough friends with someone to go to their wedding, and are close enough to see them starting a family, are you going to want to shit on the company they work for? Make them look bad by not managing your message? Of course not. Morover, the issues of not pissing off the advertisers, not pissing off corporate HQ (in this case CBS Iteractive), etc also come to bear.

Now I haven't heard toadys cast, so I'm hoping I'm wrong about the bomb guys in particular. But with much of the rest of the mainstream gaiming enthusiast press, I've been disappointed.

Last bit of this wall o text: geek outrage sometimes works. In Canada, the megacorp cable/telecos had received approval from the regulatory body to institute metered bandwidth and were going to force indie ISPs to have to institute them as well against their will. It really was a fucked up corporate cash grab and anti consumer shit. A concerted online campaign was instigated, and the decisions were reversed. In fact, the Minister of Technolgy came out and said that the CRTC (regulatory body) was wrong, and if they didn't reverse their decisions, big changes would occur. It was nice.

MarkusRJR

That OP is really shocking. I haven't been keeping up with the entirety of the Xbox One post-reveal PR. Here's hoping they fix the DRM/used game bullshit come console launch, but that'll probably never happen.

GAF: I want exclusives
MS: 15 new exclusives!
We don't know what they are at all. A lot of them could be Kinect or simple XBLA games. Right now they're just telling us to be excited about a number.

GAF: I want new IPS
MS: 8 new IPS!
This is a good thing. I was happy about this. We just don't know anything about them. They could be uninteresting or just plain bad.

GAF: No Kinect crap
MS: not a single Kinect game showed!
They showed off only 2 first party games via trailers. I'm sure we'll see the Kinect games come E3 when they reveal those 15 new exclusives and do live game play demos. Also, they confirmed that Kinect 2.0 is included with every console and required to be attached for the console to operate. That alone is what I'd call "Kinect crap", as someone who games in a small-ish room that Kinect doesn't work in I don't want to pay for something that I'll never be able to use.

GAF: Fuck you MS. I want whatever Sony throw at me! another Killzone wooot! Another Infamous woot! Knack is so cool, that guy I never seen before is a genius! woot!
Sony showed games and game play. They didn't have any DRM or horrible PR to mock (although that Infamous guy was pretty hilarious). They just went straight to the point in terms of specs and didn't use buzzwords to describe the console for the entirety of the reveal. They focused on games for the majority of the reveal and didn't spend it on Sports/TV. Also, Mark Cerny actually has a long history in gaming (especially with great PS1/PS2 games) and is really respectable. To scoff at people being impressed that he was there is kind of rude/fanboy-ish.

GAF: I want to sell and buy used games
MS: We will support used games. You will be able to sell your games. More details later

GAF: Fuck you. I never give a shit about the online passes on PS3 games, and I fucking loved the day one digital sales on PS3! But for some reason I hate you because you are doing things that already happen!

They gave us a ton of conflicting reports and we still have no idea what's going on. The fact they no one no one knows what's going on leads us to believe the worst. Also, tons of people hate the online pass bullshit with PS3/360 games. Oh and Digital purchases aren't the same as retail purchases. They have different expectations.

Sony: We bought Gaikai
GAF: I love you Sony! You are so good! I have no idea what you will do with Gaikai but I already loved it!

Gaikai is a streaming service so one can instantly assume what Sony could do with it, just in the same way people can assume what MS will do with their console despite having no "hard facts".

MS: Cloud is the future dude
GAF: You liar!

We have no evidence to support that it will be "the future" of gaming. No one has done anything with it. If MS actually provides games that prove otherwise then awesome, but I'm not going to believe in buzzwords. Also "cloud gaming" is scary because game servers go down so fast nowadays. If single player games stopped working after the game's server goes down, does that mean everyone's Xbox One game collection will inevitably not work once MS moves onto their next console? As someone who still plays tons of old games it's a scary thought.
Straw man arguments? I'm not even sure why I responded to these posts in the first place since you are just going to pass me off a fanboy that just doesn't like Xbox (despite me owning both Xbox consoles and loving them). I just think it's better for gamers to get outraged at MS now while MS still has time to backtrack and fix the DRM/used games shit rather than wait for the product to launch (with all that bullshit still in) and have us go "oh well".

Kenai

Thank you so much for not only summarizing this information, but providing links and references Amir0x.

It has been very difficult to keep up with all of this and the obscuration was much deeper and the details more grim that I originally understood. I daresay I'd call the omens sinister in nature.

I agree with the poster that mentioned that it's extremely likely that the majority of our fears and concerns about this console are justified. And while the thought of this becoming accepted (or even worse, the standard) horrifies me, I know better than to think this board is capable of speaking for the entire industry, especially when the message we received is still unclear. So I don't know what going to happen.

Despite those ill tidings however, the scientist/researcher in me is quite excited at the case study unfolding before my eyes, but let me explain.

By the time this situation is "resolved" and the dust has cleared, whether it be months or even years from now, this is likely going to be a historic moment in the videogame timeline. I'm not just talking about the "coming together" of fanboys on message boards, either. This platform, and whether or not the industry (as a whole) accepts it, is going to lay down the groundwork for the next several generations, across all platforms, across all game creators, publishers and fans. And for once, I can say that in this particular case, video games actually are serious business! It's Truly fascinating to watch what has happened, and to see what is coming next.

If Sony went with this stuff, I think I'll tough it out on Wii U until the final true end. then sadly wonder the halls of a once great industry as I wait for it to regain its sense and have a rebirth

With smash coming out in the nearish future that's not a bad idea.

They're so goddamned bewildered by what we are and what we want - in our niches and weird tastes and repulsion to their shitty decisions that they have to resort to putting a camera in our living rooms to examine what the fuck we're feeling. If you don't understand what a perfect metaphor that is for frightened, scared, diminished corporate structures, you haven't been paying attention.

lol. nice

mujun

What I am most curious about is exactly how much pressure Microsoft would reassert, via the sheer poundage of unique exclusive game experiences, to break the will of what seems to be a pretty unified front at the moment? They know they have tons of games, we know they have tons of games. But if they show those tons of games at E3, will that be enough to get the majority of gamers to be quiet about what they found out on May 21?

I only hate the practices surrounding the Xbox One and its anti-consumer measures, but if they were the eliminate most of them or dramatically reduce their impact, I'd be on board again. The problem is I'm not sure Microsoft have enough time to fully turn the ship around from the direction they've started to. All I can do is cross my fingers...

Of the potential customer base (let's say within a year of launch, early adopters) what percent do you think is actually pissed off about the situation?

I assume that the majority lie in the middle ground between myself and the masses that seem to be on GAF at the moment. That is to say it won't take more than one or two games I want to grab the system, even if it requires an online check every 24 hours, etc.

I've said it a bunch of times already, the only thing that would really irritate me is not being able to buy and sell 2nd hand games. If there is a little more effort required (say, purging some license from my system) then I won't really consider it a bother at all but if I can only sell off games at certain shops or can't sell off imports (live in Japan, at least 70% of the games I buy are imports) then it will piss me off enough to make the PS4 my main machine and only use the One for exclusives.

Amir0x

Banned
Of the potential customer base (let's say within a year of launch, early adopters) what percent do you think is actually pissed off about the situation?

That's impossible to quantify - after all, we have no actual idea what the true 'potential customer base' is of either PS4 or Xbox One. What we do know is that they reached 27 million people with their Xbox One reveal, and much of the opening days and weeks since have been consumed by the uproar of gamers and non-gamers over this issue.

This is no small thing, I shouldn't think.

I assume that the majority lie in the middle ground between myself and the masses that seem to be on GAF at the moment. That is to say it won't take more than one or two games I want to grab the system, even if it requires an online check every 24 hours, etc.

Well that's a big assumption. But let's assume that you're at least mostly right. Let's say that 80% of everyone who is talking big will actually end up getting an Xbox One anyway when there are sufficient games available. That is still a massive loss of customers, provided Xbox One reaches a similar userbase as Xbox 360 or even a little more. Shit, you could go up to 90%, and that's still very significant indeed.

I've said it a bunch of times already, the only thing that would really irritate me is not being able to buy and sell 2nd hand games. If there is a little more effort required (say, purging some license from my system) then I won't really consider it a bother at all but if I can only sell off games at certain shops or can't sell off imports (live in Japan, at least 70% of the games I buy are imports) then it will piss me off enough to make the PS4 my main machine and only use the One for exclusives.

I respect that. But for me, every last iota of the Xbox One design is an affront to me as a consumer, so I must make a stand.

Demon Ice

Banned
Just fucking don't buy an Xbox One. It is literally that simple. It is in the best interest of gamers and consumers for the Xb1 to fail.

Just fucking don't buy an Xbox One. It is literally that simple. It is in the best interest of gamers and consumers for the Xb1 to fail.

I think I agree with you, if gamers could really force MS to make a drastic change - which I think is unlikely lol - it will be a lesson for everyone in this effing industry!

I hope MS should add an extra time at E3 to do a proper explanation to put all vague situations
away.
Best situation MS should abandon all DRM shit.
It is so fucking insane to mandate all the things which the people's don't want.
You have to connect your machine within 24 hours? Else what>>>your installed games are useless after that?
No drm

What this seemingly boils down to:
1) I don't like being forced to connect my console to the internet once a day.
2) I don't like how Microsoft is trying to tie games to digital keys instead of physical disks. When I think of Vidja Games, I think of physical media and not the binary data that is encoded on that physical medium. In order to do this, Xbox says that 1 is necessary. They are trying to bullshit around this by saying cloud a bunch of times.
3) Xbox execs/spokesmen don't know the full details of their used game/'lend' system. Why don't they just bloody detail their system so that I can tear it apart because of 1 and 2.

'aight.

I hope MS should add an extra time at E3 to do a proper explanation to put all vague situations
away.
Best situation MS should abandon all DRM shit.
It is so fucking insane to mandate all the things which the people's don't want.
You have to connect your machine within 24 hours? Else what>>>your installed games are useless after that?
No drm

Some people do want them, like me. But I definitely see why people are upset.

Awesome OP, Amir0x. I've been following on your reaction to all this stuff with Microsoft and I absolutely agree with your opinion. They should, at the very least, be consistent with their answers.

GAF: I want exclusives
MS: 15 new exclusives!

GAF: I want new IPS
MS: 8 new IPS!

GAF: No Kinect crap
MS: not a single Kinect game showed!

GAF: Fuck you MS. I want whatever Sony throw at me! another Killzone wooot! Another Infamous woot! Knack is so cool, that guy I never seen before is a genius! woot!

shinnn
Banned
(05-28-2013, 12:54 AM)

Wew. And here I was thinking you only posted this kind of nonsense at UOL Jogos... goddamn.

Shaneus

Quote with link :)

Well, this is the disconnect I guess. You admit you only hold this view because of the detrimental effects (you think) are impacting the industry. You are asserting that a fundamental aspect of property rights and consumer rights as it has existed since the beginning of trade should be adjusted and recodified on a per-industry basis, not because it's inherently bad or unethical, but just because you think it's a threat to the industry's health. Which means you are essentially arguing for protectionism for corporations--consumers are free to exercise their consumer rights only up to a certain point, but if that free exercise is perceived to threaten the viability of the industry, then their rights must be limited in order to save the industry.

I don't think I can put into words my disgust at this demeaning display of groveling at the feet of your game developer overlords. Even a die-hard laissez-faire capitalist would not be so subservient, because even a capitalist would accept that sometimes industries die and that's the way the world works. As much as I enjoy games, there is no inherent good in this industry. The ends do not justify the means here; there is nothing that makes the gaming industry inherently worthy of preservation, not to the point that would justify carving out a special exemption for them where used games are somehow magically not OK when they are OK for every other packaged good on the planet. Just because your favored set of content producers couldn't properly adapt does not justify rewriting the rules of what "property ownership" means and fundamentally removing the ability to preserve, inherit, pass on, lend, and share its products.

The industry does not come first; consumers do. I have no sympathy for an industry that cannot properly stumble its way around a viable secondhand market like every other mature industry in the world. Sometimes your old product just isn't good enough, and the way you solve it is by making a better product, not by forcing consumers to adapt to your archaic and myopic business model with your dying breath. If this industry can't find a way to make money off the primary market -- even with DLC and exclusive pre-order content and HD re-releases and map packs and online passes and annualized sequels and "expanding the audience" and AAA advertising and forced multiplayer -- then, if I may be so blunt, fuck it. It doesn't deserve our money in the first place. If an entire industry has its head so far up its ass, is so focused on short-term gains, and has embraced such a catastrophically stupid blockbuster business model in the pursuit of a stagnant market of hardcore 18-34 dudebros that it thinks it has no choice but to take away our first-sale rights as its last chance of maybe, finally, creating a sustainable stream of profits, then it can go to hell. It doesn't need your protection, it needs to be taken out back and beaten until it remembers who its real masters are.

I especially have a hard time having any sympathy because so many of the industry's problems are of its own making. They chose to focus on shaderific HD graphics over long-lasting appeal and gameplay; they chose to focus on linear scripted cinematic B-movie imitations that were only good for one playthrough instead of replayability and open-ended design; they chose to pour so much money and marketing into military porn and fetishized violent shootbang Press A to Awesome titles, exactly the kinds of games that hardcore gamers, the most likely gamers to trade in games quickly were prone to buying and reselling; and perhaps most galling, they chose to give Gamestop loads of exclusive pre-order bonuses while they knew exactly what Gamestop would say to those customers once in the store. They kept making insanely lavish and nonsensical displays of spectacular whizz-bang, despite that being exactly the kind of game most susceptible to trading after one week because there was nothing left to do with it. And now they're discovering that putting so many insanely expensive eggs into one fragile and easily breakable basket is maybe not the most sustainable business model ever.

So forgive me if I find myself not caring one bit when the industry complains that it's just so hard to sell six million copies of Gears of Medal of Battle of Uncharted Angry Dudes VII in the first week and that's why they need to take away used sales for the entire platform. No, the problem isn't at this end.

troushers

I have to say, the line of thought that says "this reaction won't affect eventual sales because it is only a hardcore niche in a much larger market complaining" just seems totally faulty to me.

It assumes that, for want of a better term, the 'viral' contribution to purchasing decisions is relatively unimportant. I think a lot of people who are massive gamers are introducing many of their friends or family to things they would not notice otherwise. And it's a process that feeds back on itself.

In an age when advertisers are ever keen on finding and hiring the few people who have disproportionate influence on other people on Twitter etc., it seems weird to say negatively influencing hundreds of people will do nothing. Removing five hundred people who might each show a console off, or talk about a game on a console to 6 other people, who might talk to 3 others, who talk to...etc.

I have to say, the line of thought that says "this reaction won't affect eventual sales because it is only a hardcore niche in a much larger market complaining" just seems totally faulty to me.

It assumes that, for want of a better term, the 'viral' contribution to purchasing decisions is relatively unimportant. I think a lot of people who are massive gamers are introducing many of their friends or family to things they would not notice otherwise. And it's a process that feeds back on itself.

In an age when advertisers are ever keen on finding and hiring the few people who have disproportionate influence on other people on Twitter etc., it seems weird to say negatively influencing hundreds of people will do nothing. Removing five hundred people who might each show a console off, or talk about a game on a console to 6 other people, who might talk to 3 others, who talk to...etc.

This. When I went Mac in 2001 my family thought I was crazy. Now my little sister (not so little anymore) who DETESTED Macs will only use Macs. Same with my mom. And my girlfriend.

The core leads the way. X360 won the early last gen because Sony made colossal errors and MS didn't - not counting RROD.

Top Bottom