• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Series is a beast of an emulation machine

Banned
No whitelisting, link goes to MS store and pushes the download to the console.

Ok, if Microsoft doesn't close this way to install stuff, then this literally means we now can just sideload stuff onto the Xbox... I mean you could before through the whitelisting loophole but this is on another level

Esppiral

yes, ISO of more recent systems might need to be on the internal storage tho.

I have a complete SNES, NES, Genesis, PC Engine and GB/GBC sets on my USB stick and they work flawlessly.
N64, PS1 and Dreamcast work fine as well

GameCube and PS2 should be copied over to the internal storage tho, some smaller games might work over USB but most won't, especially PS2 really doesn't like to be on external
Anything under 2 GB works flawlessly in external so evey single game cube game can be loaded from USB and smaller PS2 titles too.

Fredrik

Ok, if Microsoft doesn't close this way to install stuff, then this literally means we now can just sideload stuff onto the Xbox... I mean you could before through the whitelisting loophole but this is on another level
🤫😉

I don’t know how much they care, in the future I can easily imagine that Windows 11 will be on Xbox, just a big picture mode instead of the console UI, with Steam or Retroarch installable as usual.

nekrik

I downloaded a retail forked version of retroarch from the official store (found some link weeks ago) for my XSX but haven’t found any way to load roms in retail mod. Does anybody know how?

Last edited:

Banned
I know people have run Retroarch on the XB1. Whether it's worth it is another story.

well some very simple PS2 games run, Dreamcast runs relatively well, GameCube also only super simple games.

but anything Dreamcast and older works on Xbox One pretty flawlessly. so 8bit, 16bit, even some DS games run. I tested Contra 4 on my One X and it ran flawlessly... didn't test it on base Xbox One but should be pretty ok there too

I set it up for a friend and to test performance I played Marvel vs Capcom 2 (DC) and it ran perfectly for example. so yeah. anything DC and below works

Last edited:

Banned
I downloaded a retail forked version of retroarch from the official store (found some link weeks ago) for my XSX but haven’t found any way to load roms in retail mod. Does anybody know how?

what's the issue with loading roms? do you know the basics of how Retroarch works?

because you can either use a USB drive to load any game below 2GB, you can FTP games over by using another homebrew app, or you can directly download roms through the edge browser on your Xbox.

to transfer roms you can also just copy paste them into your My Files folder using any of the file browser apps in the Store.

if you don't know how Retroarch actually works, look up tutorials on YouTube. there are even some Xbox specific ones people made

nekrik

what's the issue with loading roms? do you know the basics of how Retroarch works?

because you can either use a USB drive to load any game below 2GB, you can FTP games over by using another homebrew app, or you can directly download roms through the edge browser on your Xbox.

to transfer roms you can also just copy paste them into your My Files folder using any of the file browser apps in the Store.

if you don't know how Retroarch actually works, look up tutorials on YouTube. there are even some Xbox specific ones people made
I know how it works. I have it on a pc and on a hacked switch but I didn’t know that you can have access to the Xbox Series X file system in retail mode with a file browser from store.Also didn’t know that sideloaded retroarch as a signed official retail app has, access to some file system folders like “My files”. Gonna try it thanks

Last edited:

Banned
I know how it works. I have it on a pc and on a hacked switch but I didn’t know that you can have access to the Xbox Series X file system in retail mode with a file browser from store.Also didn’t know that sideloaded retroarch as a signed official retail app has, access to some file system folders like “My files”. Gonna try it thanks

you can also just use a USB drive.
and don't get confused by the various drive letters on the Xbox, just search for the drive letter that has the folder you want to use in it.

but yeah, the Xbox basically has the same Images, Videos etc. folders as a Windows PC, and you can use several apps to manage files.

Banned
Thanks can anyone recommend a file browser app to use to load roms?

well I think the XBox comes with one preinstalled... but I'm not sure. there are very basic ones and then there is the paid app called "My Files Explorer" (you can test it for a day or so to see if it works for you) which is to my knowledge the only file browser app that has access to almost every file on the XBox, other file browsers are usually limited to the "My Files" part of the internal drive... so Documents, Music and Video folders basically.

I think you can even use the VLC Player app as a file browser... haven't really messed with that but I think there are tools in there to copy and paste folders etc.

the issue really is, that you need access to the install folder of Retroarch for some emualtors! I use the FTP app you need to be whitelisted for to acces those, and the only app on the store that I know of that can access these is the "My Files Explorer" app which costs around 3 bucks I think.

now why do you need access to these folders? well, some Retroarch Cores will not like it if bios files aren't located inside the "system" folder inside the Retroarch install path. I had issues getting some PS1 cores to run, and Amiga had issues as well. not sure how many cores will have issues that way, but I have to say I only tested these using a USB drive, I didn't have the bios folder on the internal drive/ inside My Files on the Xbox when I had issues... so maybe it works if you have them internal in your My Files folder, you have to test that.

but again, there is a 24h test version of that "My Files Explorer" app, so maybe get all the bios files, get that test version and copy them over in one go, and just to be save get every possible bios you need on there in one go as well. just so you don't need to buy the app.

Last edited:
Ok so basically, if I get that retroarch app installed on the Xbox I can put my roms on a thumb drive I can just load the e files from the thumb drive? Do you know if for cps roms if you need to have like the qsound files on the system folder?

Banned
Ok so basically, if I get that retroarch app installed on the Xbox I can put my roms on a thumb drive I can just load the e files from the thumb drive? Do you know if for cps roms if you need to have like the qsound files on the system folder?

you need all the necessary bios files/folders inside the "system" folder of the retroarch install.

the only way I personally know how to access these is the aforementioned "My Files Explorer" on the microsoft store, or using an FTP app that I have because I was whitelisted a while ago where I could download one... there is none in the store as far as I know

"My Files Explorer" costs around 3€ I think, but you can download a trial version that is usable for 24h. so my suggestion is, try to get a relatively up to date "system" folder ready, download the trial of the "My Files Explorer" app, and then just copy over the whole thing at once so you have every possible bios you need ready to go

I tried to change the path of my "system" folder to be on my USB drive, but multiple cores had issues with that and refused to recognize the bios files on my USB.

Last edited:

manzo

Question: does the retroarch for Series S|X support those nice CRT shaders? Does it Dreamcast games and down at full speed?

If so, I'm getting a Series X just for this thing.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Question: does the retroarch for Series S|X support those nice CRT shaders? Does it Dreamcast games and down at full speed?

If so, I'm getting a Series X just for this thing.
Sure does support the CRT shaders, I have them on mine and it looks fantastic. I haven't tried many Dreamcast games, but Soul Calibur works full speed perfectly.

nkarafo

Do you know if for cps roms if you need to have like the qsound files on the system folder?
MAME core is the same as the standalone. All bios files must be in the same folder as the game roms.

Most console emulator cores need the bios files in the "System" folder but not MAME.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
So I installed qz, trying to access my games folder from retrospection that's in Q drive, but it won't let me see the AppData folder. I wanted to test the PS2 games I have in there :/

Edit: nevermind I was being a bit thick. Managed to access the folder by hitting parent directory a couple times. Prob is, it won't see the files even though I enabled show hidden files and folders.

Edit: Nevermind again! Managed it! I updated a few things in content area and it found them all now.

Now to ftp the bioses and test!

Feels great talking to myself!

Last edited:
MAME core is the same as the standalone. All bios files must be in the same folder as the game roms.

Most console emulator cores need the bios files in the "System" folder but not MAME.
Thanks for all the help in this thread. I got a bunch of cps games running just had to pick the right core. I still can’t get neo geo games to run but I’m assuming that is bc I need the bios files in the system folder. I’ll try to mess around with that tonight

WoJ

Has anyone gotten Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii version) to run? I tried running it but it was sooooooo choppy. I was wondering if it can actually run or if my settings impacted it.

TLZ

Banned
Hmm. Tried a few PS2 games with qz and they run better on it. Don't know if it's the better version of RA than retrospection or is it pcsx2.

Simpsons Road Rage still has the black roads and buildings issue though so that's a bummer.

nkarafo

Thanks for all the help in this thread. I got a bunch of cps games running just had to pick the right core. I still can’t get neo geo games to run but I’m assuming that is bc I need the bios files in the system folder. I’ll try to mess around with that tonight
100% of the time a rom doesn't work in MAME is because a bios is missing or the bios/rom/emulator aren't the same version. Sometimes they do work if their versions are close enough but don't expect, say, ancient MAME 2003 stuff to work with current versions.

Banned
Has anyone gotten Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii version) to run? I tried running it but it was sooooooo choppy. I was wondering if it can actually run or if my settings impacted it.

which console are you on? this is always important to know. Xbox One and One X will have issues with any console that is newer than Dreamcast (not counting Handhelds...)

if you have issues with performance you might need to change settings.
this guy has good tutorials from my experience, and while I haven't watched this specific video I watched an older one of his that had good setting advices

Last edited:

WoJ

which console are you on? this is always important to know. Xbox One and One X will have issues with any console that is newer than Dreamcast (not counting Handhelds...)

if you have issues with performance you might need to change settings.
this guy has good tutorials from my experience, and while I haven't watched this specific video I watched an older one of his that had good setting advices

I'm on series x. I tried Xenoblade again today and I got it to run, albeit a little stuttering. I have been following that channel's videos for all my setups but haven't gotten to that one yet. I'll check it out as I don't think I have the most current core for Dolphin set up.

Banned
I'm on series x. I tried Xenoblade again today and I got it to run, albeit a little stuttering. I have been following that channel's videos for all my setups but haven't gotten to that one yet. I'll check it out as I don't think I have the most current core for Dolphin set up.

you need the most current core and a folder from the most current Dolphin emulator. that is important for optimal performance. stutter can happen tho, most of them are loading related. for PSP and PS1 there are options to load the whole game into ram at the start, which helps for those systems immensely... but dolphin doesn't have that as far as I know sadly.

Reactions: WoJ

Banned
Where can I get crt shaders?

well if you set it up corectly you will have the shaders I think

you can then activate them in the settings of each game while it is running I think. I personally never use shaders so I am not super familiar with them

Last edited:

miami

Neo Member
So I set this up, and I'm able to play games, but not sure why, when he moves on to the other videos, his UI looks like the cross media bar on the but mine continues to look like the original set up screen. Is there something I'm missing to see the nicer UI?

WoJ

So I set this up, and I'm able to play games, but not sure why, when he moves on to the other videos, his UI looks like the cross media bar on the but mine continues to look like the original set up screen. Is there something I'm missing to see the nicer UI?

Some of his videos are older and in those videos Retroarch has the blue background UI that kind of looks like the PS3 OS. The newer videos (including the ones he has done that are updated versions of how to set this up) are with a newer version of Retroarch that have the gray background. My understanding is that the updates to Retroarch since those videos were made is why there are two different UIs.

Banned

Some of his videos are older and in those videos Retroarch has the blue background UI that kind of looks like the PS3 OS. The newer videos (including the ones he has done that are updated versions of how to set this up) are with a newer version of Retroarch that have the gray background. My understanding is that the updates to Retroarch since those videos were made is why there are two different UIs.

it is not due to the version. you have to actually choose what kind of menu you want to use. the grey one is the standard Retroarch UI

in order to change that, go into Setting > Driver > Menu Driver. press A on that and select XMB
after you select XMB, go to "Configurations" and click on "Save Current Configuration"

then close Retroarch through the Xbox Menu and restart it. it now should be the XMB

edit: if you select XMB and you have no icons, that could be because you have the Video Driver set to Direct X11 (D3D11), change that to Open GL (GL) or Direct X12 (D3D12)
edit2: Open GL will give issues using PS2 emulation tho, and maybe some other systems, so set it to Direct X12 if needed.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Hmm. Tried a few PS2 games with qz and they run better on it. Don't know if it's the better version of RA than retrospection or is it pcsx2.

Simpsons Road Rage still has the black roads and buildings issue though so that's a bummer.
The GameCube version runs fine.

• Love
Reactions: TLZ

miami

Neo Member
it is not due to the version. you have to actually choose what kind of menu you want to use. the grey one is the standard Retroarch UI

in order to change that, go into Setting > Driver > Menu Driver. press A on that and select XMB
after you select XMB, go to "Configurations" and click on "Save Current Configuration"

then close Retroarch through the Xbox Menu and restart it. it now should be the XMB

edit: if you select XMB and you have no icons, that could be because you have the Video Driver set to Direct X11 (D3D11), change that to Open GL (GL) or Direct X12 (D3D12)
edit2: Open GL will give issues using PS2 emulation tho, and maybe some other systems, so set it to Direct X12 if needed.

That worked great, thanks!

Esppiral

To any of you that want to play retro games (Gamecube- Dreamcast-Xbox- Ps2- Nintendo DS- Saturn etc) in widescreen with retroarch I have a discord where I post hexadecimal hacks for those games so you can patch them and play even on real hardware without the glitches that most emulators with built in widescreen hacks have, like clipping and missaligned postprocessing effects.

Last edited:
Man I tried ever arcade core with my neo geo zips and put the bios in system and I still can’t get neo geo games to boot. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

coffinbirth

To any of you that want to play retro games (Gamecube- Dreamcast-Xbox- Ps2- Nintendo DS- Saturn etc) in widescreen with retroarch I have a discord where I post hexadecimal hacks for those games so you can patch them and play even on real hardware without the glitches that most emulators with built in widescreen hacks have, like clipping and missaligned postprocessing effects.

Very nice!
I have a bunch of your widescreen Dreamcast games in my collection from the DU days;}

Top Bottom