• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yakuza Series Will Remain a Turn-Based RPG Series Going Forward

saintjules

In an interview with IGN ahead of today’s reveal Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi and producer Kazuki Hosokawa confirmed that Judgment will be Ryu ga Gotoku’s action series pillar, while Yakuza evolves into a turn-based RPG after the success of Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
“The Yakuza series has been transformed into a turn-based RPG. On the other hand, over the years, Ryu ga Gotoku Studio has accumulated resources and know-how of making flashy and exhilarating action games that are effortless to enjoy. We decided that we should let our signature action gameplay live on through Lost Judgment.”

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
SillySpottedBobcat-size_restricted.gif

I told all you fucking morons that said "lol its just one of, the gameplay has gotten stale stop bitcing, no one cared about the gameplay anyway it was always shit, the minigames was the best" if you buy it its here to stay.
You stupid Yakuza 0 bandwagoners ruined my series, both with your homo-erotic fanfiction shit that injected majima into the kiwami games and ruined them, and this meme that "gameplay was never important looool"
Judgement should have been a jrpg and yakuza should have been a brawler, there are no fucking brawlers on the market now.

The worst thing any eastern company did was listen to the western new fans, bunch of insufferable retards. You would all be up in arms if mainline Forza games or Gran Turismo games suddenly turned into Managment games where you dont even drive, but its okay for Yakuza since you played to many to fast and got burnt out.

Last edited:
Except for Judgement?
Its a new ip from the same team "yakuza" without being yakuza, you take chances on that, make that turn based instead, i loved dead souls, and honestly really liked Like A Dragon but you should not change the battle mechanics of the mainline series, do it with spinoffs its stupid for me. as someone who has played these games for almost 15 years now i find it frustrating.

I would also like your take on my other points in my post, instead of focusing on just Judgment, when is the last time a well established loved series has done such a 180

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I told all you fucking morons that said "lol its just one of, the gameplay has gotten stale stop bitcing, no one cared about the gameplay anyway it was always shit, the minigames was the best" if you buy it its here to stay.
You stupid Yakuza 0 bandwagoners ruined my series, both with your homo-erotic fanfiction shit that injected majima into the kiwami games and ruined them, and this meme that "gameplay was never important looool"
Judgement should have been a jrpg and yakuza should have been a brawler, there are no fucking brawlers on the market now.

The worst thing any eastern company did was listen to the western new fans, bunch of insufferable retards. You would all be up in arms if mainline Forza games or Gran Turismo games suddenly turned into Managment games where you dont even drive, but its okay for Yakuza since you played to many to fast and got burnt out.
Calm down bro

Fair enough really. Anyone complaining, like there isn't enough in the classic style already. Change can be good. I've played the series for a long time and I'm okay with it. Shit does get stale if you keep making the same game over and over again.

I would still like to play Kenzan and Ishin in English though.

Last edited:

Western fans demand JRPG is a timeline I want to live in.

Calm down bro
No, its the only game series i still play other than football manager and indie and AA managment games, the industry is shit bro, there are no good new games, so for me its sad. I have no doubt Nagoshi, will make a great game he has never made a bad one, but it should not be mainline, i just dont get why fans went along with it, no other series would accept such a radical change, ever!

Last edited:

Bridges

Its a new ip from the same team "yakuza" without being yakuza, you take chances on that, make that turn based instead, i loved dead souls, and honestly really liked Like A Dragon but you should not change the battle mechanics of the mainline series, do it with spinoffs its stupid for me. as someone who has played these games for almost 15 years now i find it frustrating.
Yeah, I get that, my point was just that you said now there are no brawlers on the market, but there are because Judgement is still happening with the same gameplay.

I would also like your take on my other points in my post, instead of focusing on just Judgment, when is the last time a well established loved series has done such a 180
Okay, I'll do my best:

I guess I'm not having the same conversations as you, but I never saw anyone say it's a one-off. I had operated on the assumption that this was the new way going forward, I did not think the article linked in this thread was actually new news. I like the minigames in Yakuza but on their own I wouldn't ever have said they're its best parts. Yakuza is a game greater than the sum of its parts, imo. From what I played the gameplay was only ever close to "shit" in 3, and even then once you level up a bit it's totally fine.

I suppose I'd be considered a Y0 bandwagoner, but I've never seen any of this homo-erotic stuff you're talking about, thankfully. Not sure what you mean by injecting Majima since I didn't play the originals unless you mean Majima Everywhere, which yeah was a bit much, but in general I didn't care too much for Kiwami 1 anyway. Kiwami 2 was great. I think the gameplay in Yakuza is great, but I've only finished up to Y4 and am starting to understand why they wanted to change it, it evolved very little over time and so far I feel like none of them have been better than Y0 combat-wise (but haven't tried Y5, Y6, Judgement or LAD yet so maybe I'd change my mind).

The worst thing any eastern company did was listen to the western new fans,
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but I am not positive if that's what happened here. Y7 was JPN only for a long time before coming to the West and I thought it was received pretty well there too?

I hope I addressed whatever you wanted me to.

I see they are saying screw you to the fans, especially the ones that have been playing for years. Of course I haven't played Yakuza since the games had English voice acting on the ps2, but I don't recall like a dragon selling that much more than previous Yakuza games so this is all strange to me.

Fbh

LOL at people thinking they are making them turn based to appeal to western fans. Because that's the hot genre in the west right now....turn based JRPG's.

Anyway, I'm fine with this. There are 7 brawlers (9 if you count the remakes, 11 if you count the feudal japan ones which didn't release in the west) and Judgement WILL CONTINUE BEING A BRAWLER.
The franchise desperately needed something to mix things up, even as a long time fan there's only so many times I can run around the same city beating the same generic enemies with the same (or very similar) combat system.

Bridges Bridges Thanks for the response Bridges. Funny that you found the gameplay close to "shit" in 3, its my second favorite game in the series after 6, it took the combat system from 2 and vastly improved it. I see 3 as the greatest filter for newcomers. The "homo-erotic" stuff is mostly just really the younger crowd i think, but they where partialy responsible for majima everywhere into the game, the series was always about Kiriyu and suddenly Majima who was just a wildcard and not featured to much was the second face of it. Just annoying for a longtime fan i guess.

As you have said you have not played 5 and 6 yet, you will notice how good the brawling system is in 6, i would argue that 5 is the third best game of the series so you will enjoy that.

Y5 took almost 3 years to get localized, i remember checking the yakuza forums every week for news back then, so Y7 was really fast. Its well recived and no doubt its a great game, i have close to 70 hours in Y7, but i have seen the majority of western fans get burnt out from the games, and to be honest a lot of it is SEGA's fault for releazing tons of "remasters" and ports all day long, newcomers got burnt out from the game, instead of long time fans who had to wait 3-4 year for a new entry, i think thats the divide, older fans who did not get overexposed to the formula dont want it to change, newcommers dont really care since they got really burnt out from to many games to fast.

EDIT: The reason they went ahead with turn based for Y7 was the great response they got for the aprils fools video they did on Yakuza where it was turn based, thats the only reason, the game was developed to be a brawler.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
No, its the only game series i still play other than football manager and indie and AA managment games, the industry is shit bro, there are no good new games, so for me its sad. I have no doubt Nagoshi, will make a great game he has never made a bad one, but it should not be mainline, i just dont get why fans went along with it, no other series would accept such a radical change, ever!
If the only game.you can find value in is Football Manager then maybe you should take a break from video games

Yakuza: Like a Dragon was another wonderful Yakuza game overflowing with awesomeness, but my take on the turn based combat is neither that it ruins or improves anything.

I think it averages out to be exactly the same.

The way that combat in the Yakuza series can get tedious because the fighting is so simplistic and repetitive, where you get caught in a bunch of battles that aren't very challenging or rewarding, well.....That's the exact same problem jrpgs have! So I think the change to jrpg combat is a massive step sideways.

All the wonderful things that make Yakuza great are still there in abundance though, the combat was never one of the series' strengths.

This changes nothing and I'm still 100% hyped for more Yakuza, including Judgement.

Last edited:

Bridges

SaturnSaturn SaturnSaturn I get where you're coming from, honestly. There was awhile where Dead Rising was my favorites series, and watching what happened to that franchise was heartbreaking for me. It seemed like they slowly stripped away everything that made it unique and turned it into the most generic open-world zombie game possible to pander to the western market. No one wants to see their favorite games die so I sympathize, I just am personally a little more optimistic on the direction Yakuza is going since they're at least keeping their old gameplay alive through Judgement. Hopefully you're pleasantly surprised and it's not as bad as you are anticipating this change to be.

Real-HipHopGamer

Neo Member
I Don't believe this is a wise decision, after playing Yakuza Like A Dragon the Turn Based Style is still fun to play but not no where near as engaging and exciting as the beat 'em up style of play.

The beat 'em up style makes you feel every hit especially with the way the presentation is designed in the Yakuza franchise.

OPTIONS is always best just like in God Of War you can play with R1 as your attack or the CLASSIC way with square and circle etc...

I'm still gonna play it regardless but the beat 'em up is preferred big time.

BaneIsPain

I have no problem with RPG turn based. Of course, I will missed the classic beat em up Kiryu. Ichiban and co. are great team and I hope they continue with it.

Last edited:

Aenima

Good. Keep the Yakuza turn based, and Judgment action brawler, so it dosent feel all the same.

Seeing so many great franshises that droped the turn based system to implement mediocre action combat, is a breath of fresh air that this studio whent the oposite way.

Last edited:
Hmm... LaD didn't really click with me, although I really thought it would.

Does this mean the Judgement series will be coming to PC then or are we now SOL when it comes to yakuza-esque brawlers?

Last edited:

NT80

Bridges Bridges Thanks for the response Bridges. Funny that you found the gameplay close to "shit" in 3, its my second favorite game in the series after 6, it took the combat system from 2 and vastly improved it. I see 3 as the greatest filter for newcomers. The "homo-erotic" stuff is mostly just really the younger crowd i think, but they where partialy responsible for majima everywhere into the game, the series was always about Kiriyu and suddenly Majima who was just a wildcard and not featured to much was the second face of it. Just annoying for a longtime fan i guess.

As you have said you have not played 5 and 6 yet, you will notice how good the brawling system is in 6, i would argue that 5 is the third best game of the series so you will enjoy that.

Y5 took almost 3 years to get localized, i remember checking the yakuza forums every week for news back then, so Y7 was really fast. Its well recived and no doubt its a great game, i have close to 70 hours in Y7, but i have seen the majority of western fans get burnt out from the games, and to be honest a lot of it is SEGA's fault for releazing tons of "remasters" and ports all day long, newcomers got burnt out from the game, instead of long time fans who had to wait 3-4 year for a new entry, i think thats the divide, older fans who did not get overexposed to the formula dont want it to change, newcommers dont really care since they got really burnt out from to many games to fast.

EDIT: The reason they went ahead with turn based for Y7 was the great response they got for the aprils fools video they did on Yakuza where it was turn based, thats the only reason, the game was developed to be a brawler.
I also really liked 3. Maybe my favourite although I've only played 1-4 and Kenzan so far. I noticed how much the combat improved and there was some much improved weapon use too. I also liked the story for the first time in the series and the boss Mine was one of the best characters. The only thing I didn't like was how much easier they'd made the game since Y1 and 2.

I'd like them to stick to the real time combat but come up with some new ideas to evolve or change things up. They've still got the Virtua Fighter team around so get brainstorming. More depth, challenge and interaction with the environment would be a start.

Top Bottom