• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Bar Line |OT| Born From A Long Line of Greatness

Synless

Fuck I forgot just how hard the FFXV soundtrack is. Say what you want, but that game has banging battle tracks.

Biggest disappointment, FFVII:R Airbuster Battle song stops before that epic guitar and vocal portion of the song… Assholes.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fuck I forgot just how hard the FFXV soundtrack is. Say what you want, but that game has banging battle tracks.
XV was the first level I unlocked. The game might have been a bit of a disappointment for a lot of people, but the soundtrack was amazing all around.

Synless

Picks the FF Series selection for unlock… Expecting lots of different songs from various games, instead everything was FF:Origins!!!!! CHAOS!!!!!

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

TheCed

I had planned to make Left Handed team with Leon Kain Golbez and Sephiroth but...

Kain is apparently no longer left handed.

It's now time to cancel the game for erasure of a minority!

In all seriousness, it's a bit of a bummer, but eh, I'll survive. Was he also right handed in the other Theatrhythm games ?

Pejo

Man, of all the SE games to not get a PC port. I had the 3DS iteration, and it was a lot of fun, but mostly just nice to have all the amazing FF tracks in 1 place. If they decide to port it, I'll pick it up, but probably not on Switch, definitely not on PS4.

The DLC with Nier/Octopath/Chrono Trigger is top tier too. I think there was even a Crystal Chronicles song in there.

*edit*

XV was the first level I unlocked. The game might have been a bit of a disappointment for a lot of people, but the soundtrack was amazing all around.
Hellfire was one of my favorite tracks from any game last gen. Dynamic music that changes based on the action in the game always puts a big smile on my face, and that song really nailed the implementation of it. Especially towards the very end when Shiva comes out and the song just flutters out with a piano line while all other instruments drop out before coming back to finish the song (and the fight) off.

Hot damn if the avatar battles weren't great in that game.

If I do get the game though, my first unlock would have to be either FFXI or FFIV. Both hold a special place in my memory and heart.

In case you can't tell, this is the sound of nostalgia breaking me down until I buy it.

Last edited:

Gabbelgak

Got Golbez to Star 1 level.

Stats at 99: --> Stats at Star 1
HP - 2666-->2966 (+300)
Strength - 176-->226 (+50)
Magic - 227-->277(+50)
Spirit - 115-->165(+50)
Agility - 150-->200(+50)
Luck - 55-->105(+50)

Takes the same xp to go to star 2 as it does to star 1, 106kish.

By comparison the stat booster items give 30 per stat or 200 hp.

Did not get any new spells / abilities.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
You know, they picked like 30 songs to represent FFXIV, but I feel like they missed the mark on skipping some, and selecting the others. I could have been okay without some of the Alexander songs but not having:

Crimson Sunshine
Foundations (Ishgard theme)
Maker's Ruin
Scales and Steal

Those are huge misses.

I had no intention to play this game. I just kind of bought it on a whim. I immediately regretted it when it started downloading.

Then, I started playing it and haven't been able to stop. I had no idea I needed this game. It's great.

Last edited:
Excited Winter Olympics GIF by Team USA

This game is addicting. If you like Final Fantasy's music, this is a no-brainer!

Only took like 30 hours of playtime but finally got my first all critical on a song.

Challenge from FFX if you are struggling like I did to try and pull this off.
Glad I'm not the only one. But, I haven't replayed any songs.

There is a trophy for getting 10 full critical bars, but apparently that's from hitting all critical notes at least once and is accumulated amongst multiple playthroughs. So, you don't actually need to hit all criticals during a single playthrough of a song.

Freeman76

The buttons where there are 2 arrows (left and right direction for example) I just cant get it right. Any tips? I havent succeeded once lol maybe its my age 🤣🤣

Kacho

Gold Member
What’s the trick with some of these quests? Kill a specific boss with ice attacks, kill a specific enemy (that I never encounter?), kill a boss in under 30 seconds? I’m confused.

chris121580

The buttons where there are 2 arrows (left and right direction for example) I just cant get it right. Any tips? I havent succeeded once lol maybe its my age 🤣🤣
Took me awhile to figure it out in the demo but you have to push both analog sticks in the direction specified. So for your example, push the left analog stick left and the right analog right at the same time

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm old too. The ideal hand placement I've found is using the top two triggers to actually hit the notes, and both your thumbs on the analog sticks for the arrows and double arrows. That way, you're not having to move your right thumb between the face buttons and the analog stick all the time.

jshackles

What’s the trick with some of these quests? Kill a specific boss with ice attacks, kill a specific enemy (that I never encounter?), kill a boss in under 30 seconds? I’m confused.
Kill a boss with X attacks - equip your characters with skills that match what they're asking for. Also be sure to equip a summon that matches, if you have one. Boss enemies will say "BOSS" in purple when they appear. These are kind of tricky to pull off, because the finishing blow has to be with that type of attack, and it's basically random. But, the more skills and summons you have that match, the better the chances you have.

Kill a specific enemy (that you never encounter?) - Each stage will list in the stage selection which enemies you might encounter in a level. Some stages even have multiple bosses. Again, this is random (though I believe internally different enemies have different spawn rates, though it's not stated anywhere). I've played a few of these 4-5 times before actually encountering the enemy I'm supposed to kill. I've played others where they were in the first batch of monsters.

Kill a boss in under 30 seconds - this is one of the tougher challenges in the game, especially when starting out. So again the bosses are the ones that say "BOSS" in purple when you encounter them. Your characters have to beat those monsters within the specified time. This gets MUCH easier to do later on, when you level up enough to unlock abilities that specifically trigger "when the boss arrives". Otherwise, try to hit as many criticals as you can - but honestly most of these aren't doable without a party of Lvl 99s.

Hope this helps!

Kacho

Gold Member
Kill a boss with X attacks - equip your characters with skills that match what they're asking for. Also be sure to equip a summon that matches, if you have one. Boss enemies will say "BOSS" in purple when they appear. These are kind of tricky to pull off, because the finishing blow has to be with that type of attack, and it's basically random. But, the more skills and summons you have that match, the better the chances you have.

Kill a specific enemy (that you never encounter?) - Each stage will list in the stage selection which enemies you might encounter in a level. Some stages even have multiple bosses. Again, this is random (though I believe internally different enemies have different spawn rates, though it's not stated anywhere). I've played a few of these 4-5 times before actually encountering the enemy I'm supposed to kill. I've played others where they were in the first batch of monsters.

Kill a boss in under 30 seconds - this is one of the tougher challenges in the game, especially when starting out. So again the bosses are the ones that say "BOSS" in purple when you encounter them. Your characters have to beat those monsters within the specified time. This gets MUCH easier to do later on, when you level up enough to unlock abilities that specifically trigger "when the boss arrives". Otherwise, try to hit as many criticals as you can - but honestly most of these aren't doable without a party of Lvl 99s.

Hope this helps!
Thank you. I figured a lot of this was random but wanted to ask in case I was doing something wrong.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
axU87ei.jpg

This seems to be a pretty good “glass cannon” setup for just dealing the most physical damage possible.

I haven’t had as much luck building a magic focused party.

Kacho

Gold Member
This plays the best in handheld mode with the joycons. It’s so much more responsive than my TV and pro controller. I

I should try connecting my Switch to a PC monitor and compare that to my TV.

Last edited:

jshackles

Tried the demo today. Pretty much shocked at how good it is. My only hesitation is the steep price of the DLC. This looks like one of the best rhythm games ever made.
The season pass price is indeed pretty steep - but the first season pass includes 30 tracks for $15. The deluxe edition upgrade also includes 27 tracks for $15. So it looks like it'll average about $0.50 per track. Also - the tracks are 100% optional and don't even have any Final Fantasy music in them. If you don't want the "everything" package, just buy the individual track packs you want for $3-$5 each.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This plays the best in handheld mode with the joycons. It’s so much more responsive than my TV and pro controller. I

I should try connecting my Switch to a PC monitor and compare that to my TV.
Yeah I think that even with the TV in game mode I feel slightly less accurate than playing in handheld mode. Although I think undocked with headphones and pro controller is my favorite setup. The pro controller is just so much more comfortable for me.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yeah I think that even with the TV in game mode I feel slightly less accurate than playing in handheld mode. Although I think undocked with headphones and pro controller is my favorite setup. The pro controller is just so much more comfortable for me.
Time to try it with headphones. I’m sure it takes the gameplay to a whole different level.

Tried the demo today. Pretty much shocked at how good it is. My only hesitation is the steep price of the DLC. This looks like one of the best rhythm games ever made.
I’m inclined to agree about one of the best rhythm games ever. This has me hooked like Frequency and Amplitude did back in the day. Hitting the notes with the shoulder buttons really takes me back. I adore this game with every fiber of my being.

I pulled the trigger on the $100 edition, and despite hating myself at the time, I’m really glad I did. You’re paying (a premium) for good content. Not a bunch of useless cosmetic garbage.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Btw I can’t believe I slept on the Mystic Quest soundtrack all these years. That shit is full of absolute bangers. Easy completion too.

Never played it and I should probably remedy that in the near future. Mystic Quest was one of those SNES games that was never checked out at Blockbuster so I’m guessing everyone slept on it lol.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Time to try it with headphones. I’m sure it takes the gameplay to a whole different level.

I’m inclined to agree about one of the best rhythm games ever. This has me hooked like Frequency and Amplitude did back in the day. Hitting the notes with the shoulder buttons really takes me back. I adore this game with every fiber of my being.

I pulled the trigger on the $100 edition, and despite hating myself at the time, I’m really glad I did. You’re paying (a premium) for good content. Not a bunch of useless cosmetic garbage.
Man ... I think I decided I'll go premium. But I'll wait for the first sale. The demo is so good.

Btw I can’t believe I slept on the Mystic Quest soundtrack all these years. That shit is full of absolute bangers. Easy completion too.

Never played it and I should probably remedy that in the near future. Mystic Quest was one of those SNES games that was never checked out at Blockbuster so I’m guessing everyone slept on it lol.
As a huge Final Fantasy fan since the original, I counted the days until Mystic Quest released and got it day one.

Trust me.

It sucks.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
As a huge Final Fantasy fan since the original, I counted the days until Mystic Quest released and got it day one.

Trust me.

It sucks.
It was the FF game that Square made specifically for the feeble-minded gaijin audience because they didn’t think we could handle FF5. It even used recycled sprites from FF Legend 3 (aka Saga 3) on Gameboy.

Soundtrack kicks ass though. I’m glad more people got to hear it thanks to Theatrhythm

sigmaZ

Great game for a bit of nostalgia. Playing through all of the FFs has reaffirmed my beliefs that the weakest OSTs in the series are 13, 12, and 9. It also reminded me how awesome and standout the music quest battle themes are.

Kacho

Gold Member
How are people stacking Rhythmia so quickly? I see players with only 6 hours played and tons of Rhythmia.

Does difficulty determine how much you receive?

Last edited:

Power Pro

Playing through this just makes me want to play or replay so many different Final Fantasy games so bad. So much great music that you don't notice while you're playing sometimes.

I want to play those damn pixel remasters so bad, but they had to drag their feet releasing them on Switch, AND they had to make it impossible to get the physical copy by making it a SE store exclusive. Look....I get doing a publisher site exclusive game for maybe a CE, or maybe a niche series...but we're talking about fucking final fantasy...6 games that are considered classics among many people. Limiting those physical copies pisses me off so much, because it instantly became a scalper's dream. WHY do this???

bodine1231

Got my groove coaster controller setup with Yuzu. Works perfectly! Feels just like the arcade. Forgive the bad playing, was only my second song using it, to much muscle memory from the arcade cab (its easier to play this sitting down). No input lag from the controller felt.

Last edited:

jshackles

Is Sunleth Waterscape the best song in this game? Because I think it is.

Arsic

Gold Member
I think I’m going to get this based off all the glowing praise here. Feels like the perfect pick up and put down game, or go long stretches with.

Kacho

Gold Member
Have you guys unlocked all the songs in quest mode yet? I’ve played this game for a ridiculous amount of hours and still have tons to unlock. The amount of content is staggering.

Gabbelgak

Have you guys unlocked all the songs in quest mode yet? I’ve played this game for a ridiculous amount of hours and still have tons to unlock. The amount of content is staggering.
It took like 2 and a half days of solid playing for me. That is, being stuck in a hotel room and doing pretty much nothing else lol.

jshackles

I've started unlocking levels, getting to the title key, then going back and unlocking a new level -> rinse and repeat. This way, I can hop around titles at my leisure. I've cleared about 8 titles so far, but I've also spent a stupid amount of time in the free play mode playing the deluxe songs and unlocked FMV levels. Game says I've finished 27%.

You're right, there is a crazy amount of stuff to unlock in this game. For me, the reward is having all the songs available in the free play mode. With the 3DS Curtain Call version, it became my forever 3DS game that I'd constantly pop back into for a few hours here and there.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If you want an easy place to grind XP/items/cards, the Jenova Remix song in the Theatrhythm series is pretty great.

Physical abilities do double damage so if you have a physical focused party you can rake in 12 treasure chests and 2000+ XP before modifiers. With XP boosting esper/egg you can easily hit the 9999 XP limit.

Online is kinda dead on Switch already 🙁
Is it? This morning I had no problem finding matches. Although most of the opponents are Japanese.

jshackles

Is the SaGa pack out? It shows available for purchase in the eshop but I can’t figure out how to download it
Yes. It auto-downloaded for me on the Switch when I bought the season pass...

Top Bottom